This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory regarding Ori "sapping power from worshippers"

I've always thought this was kind of a wierd idea and that it didn't make much sense as it was introduced on the show. Then an idea hit me:

What if the whole system is like the SETI@Home program. For those of you that don't know, SETI@Home is a computer program you can install on your computer which uses your computer's processor when the computer is otherwise idle, to compute data for the SETI Center.

Perhaps the whole point of the prostration and prayer done by Ori followers is to make the minds of their followers 'idle' so that their brainpower can be utilized by the Ori by some advanced ascended method to further increase their understanding of the universe (increasing their collective 'computing power', if you will.)

Just a thought, now get to the part where you tear it to pieces.

Originally posted by Seldini
    I've always thought this was kind of a wierd idea and that it didn't make much sense as it was introduced on the show. Then an idea hit me:

What if the whole system is like the SETI@Home program. For those of you that don't know, SETI@Home is a computer program you can install on your computer which uses your computer's processor when the computer is otherwise idle, to compute data for the SETI Center.

Perhaps the whole point of the prostration and prayer done by Ori followers is to make the minds of their followers 'idle' so that their brainpower can be utilized by the Ori by some advanced ascended method to further increase their understanding of the universe (increasing their collective 'computing power', if you will.)

Just a thought, now get to the part where you tear it to pieces.
    No a bad thought actually, some green your way.
    I think you just hit the nail at the exact right spot.

Comment

The whole gaining power from worshippers just doesn't work, it's almost as bad as the human batteries from the Matrix. The humans in the Milky Way were created by the Ancients. The Ancients didn't even interfer in the development of human civilizations in the Milky Way and now there are who knows how many billions of humans across thousands of worlds. If the Ori really wanted followers, they could have seeded many more worlds than the Ancients and they could have taken an active role in the development of those worlds, creating a human population that is many folds greater than that of the worlds of the Milky Way. Not only that but the Ori could have genetically altered the humans or selectively bred the humans to be completely loyal to them.

Comment

I still think Orlin lied.

Comment

I like your theory. It's probably how it works. Although it wouldn't be much good to you if your fighting the ancients and no-one is prostrating

Comment

...so that their brainpower can be utilized by the Ori by some advanced ascended method to further increase their understanding of the universe (increasing their collective 'computing power', if you will.)
            Well it has already been said that ascended beings have access to infinite knowledge... so I fail to see how they can increase their knowledge when they already have infinite knowledge.

I reckon they sap power to increase their energy (the same energy that is assumed to be cancelled out by Merlin's weapon). Since they aim to defeat the Ancients, they probably assume that eventually, their energy will be so high that they will be able to cancel out the power of the Ascended Ancients in our galaxy (thus defeating them).

Also, the theory that "if we kill the followers the Ori will lose their power" is flawed. Because they have been sapping power from their worshippers for who knows how long... they are most likely already more powerful than the ascended Ancients. Killing their worshippers won't mean that they lose their power... because that would mean that everytime their worshippers die naturally they lose their power as well... which would make us wonder why they would bother sapping their worshippers' power in the first place if they eventually lose it... So obviously the power they sap from their worshippers is permanently transferred (in other words, killing their worshippers won't make them any less powerful than they already are).
            sigpic

Comment

I'm almost 100% sure that what the Ori have told us about the Ancients is true, or at least partially. The ancients are proud, lying m**#$%ers, and they haven't done a single thing to prove that they are the least bit good. Everything they have done is completely self-centered, including ascension.

Maybe the Ori are actually trying to stop the Ancients from sapping the power from us, but have just taken a way too drastic way to go. In the end, the Ancients and the Ori are just as wrong in their pursuits.

Honestly, I think the writers have laid the path to this plot twist.
              My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog
                I'm almost 100% sure that what the Ori have told us about the Ancients is true, or at least partially. The ancients are proud, lying m**#$%ers, and they haven't done a single thing to prove that they are the least bit good. Everything they have done is completely self-centered, including ascension.

Maybe the Ori are actually trying to stop the Ancients from sapping the power from us, but have just taken a way too drastic way to go. In the end, the Ancients and the Ori are just as wrong in their pursuits.

Honestly, I think the writers have laid the path to this plot twist.
                If the writers can pull this off without massively copying Babylon 5, I'll be very happy. But if I hear Cameron Mitchell screaming, "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!" I promise that'll be the last time I watch Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by B O Y S C O U T
                  I like your theory. It's probably how it works. Although it wouldn't be much good to you if your fighting the ancients and no-one is prostrating
                  That's why there are only 4 ships

Comment

If the writers can pull this off without massively copying Babylon 5, I'll be very happy. But if I hear Cameron Mitchell screaming, "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!" I promise that'll be the last time I watch Stargate.

Agreed!

Comment

Perhaps "prostration" is so regimented and somber because the energies from uncontroled jubilant worship are poisionous. Thus, Merlin's weapon is actually hardcore Gospel music.

This way, you can have Mitchel fly his F302 into a swarm of toilet-ships and just start singing. Ripping off B5 would be obvious but very few viewers will be familiar with Macross 7.

Comment

I've recently been wondering, if prostration was a form of instruction. With every six hours you get a free lesson in the latest technology.

Comment

LOL, I've never watched B5 so I thought it was pretty original .
                          My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient
                            I've recently been wondering, if prostration was a form of instruction. With every six hours you get a free lesson in the latest technology.
                            Nah, look at where they live... Not very advanced, and their brains wouldn't be able to handle that kind of knowledge.

Comment

Actually, where they live could be very advanced, depending on how long they actually existed, they could have only been a society for the past 2 centuries or so, 2 centuries in the future they could be more advanced than Earth at that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X