This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi Wire: Official SciFi Channel ratings for Season Ten

Pretty much what the title asked. Does anyone think that BSG's not airing new epi's in July with SG will hurt SG's ratings?
    I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
    - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

i dont see how BSG would have anything to affect the ratings of SG....

Comment

I don't think so. Enough people still tune in to watch SG-1 and SGA primarily. I don't think it will be a big problem.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I guess the only people it would affect might be the ones who are major fans of BSG, but since SG1 and Atlantis are on the same night, they also watch and enjoy them, but might not bother if BSG wasn't on.

At the same time, when BSG starts in October and SG1 and Atlantis are already in re-runs, it could hurt BSG for the people that only watch it because it's on after the other two. I'm one of those! I won't stay home on a Friday night just to watch BSG like I do when all three are on. But I WILL stay home to watch SG1 and Atlantis when they're on.
        EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITIES, ONE STARGATE AT A TIME

Comment

Originally posted by star47
          At the same time, when BSG starts in October and SG1 and Atlantis are already in re-runs, it could hurt BSG for the people that only watch it because it's on after the other two. I'm one of those! I won't stay home on a Friday night just to watch BSG like I do when all three are on. But I WILL stay home to watch SG1 and Atlantis when they're on.
          I know what you mean. I really like BSG, don't give me wrong, but I just enjoy SG-1 and SGA a little bit more.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by star47
            I guess the only people it would affect might be the ones who are major fans of BSG, but since SG1 and Atlantis are on the same night, they also watch and enjoy them, but might not bother if BSG wasn't on.

I'm much the same way - I like BSG, but I watch it more for being after Stargate. It stands to reason that there are also people who just watch Stargate because it's on before BSG. I don't think BSG premiering in October will really hurt Stargate's ratings, but it'll probably have some small effect.
            I do not believe you are well. You called me... "Lucy"

Comment

Inless they change the schedual of the shows. BSG has a chance to gain a wider audience then SG ever will. Plus, this is the first time cable TV shows have started the season at this time. I think it's a very bold move, but could prove very good. I would hope they move BSG to a earlyer hour so it could gain more viewers. It's an exceptionaly well done show.

I doubt it would hurt SG in anyway since SG will be on it's mid season break. Of course, during the break they could take of SG completly and have some other shows along side BSG. That I'm all for.

Comment

I think it will hurt Sg and SGA--clearly BSG is the one show sci-fi feels can go up against the networks and join the fall line up. I think it will do well. I am not a BSG fan but only because it isnt the type of sci-fi I like. I watched season 1 and no question it is a well done show.

Comment

I think scifi is trying to spread out the scifi friday more over the year by having two sets that run in exchange. first the gates, and when they are on break agalactica and some other show.
                  That way to get a better whole time coverage of their friday event.

Comment

I've seen plenty of comments from fans who use the Stargates to simply pass the time until BSG and they've said they won't bother tuning in on Friday until October. So yes, I do think the Stargates are going to take a bit of a ratings dive, maybe not for the premieres which always do well, but for the later episodes, because BSG isn't there to anchor it. If Dr. Who or another new show takes BSG's spot for July-October and does as well as BSG in the ratings then it could serve as an anchor.

Likewise, I think there's a good chance that BSG's ratings will go down because it's up against new network programming and it may also lose ratings because of casual BSG fans who really tune in for Stargate.

Honestly, I think it's a questionable decision and may very well have a negative impact on all Friday shows. Why alter the Friday night schedule that has been shown to bring in the ratings to fit in new shows rather than promoting them on a different scifi night?

Comment

There are a few other factors to consider. I don't know yet what day the new Scifi Series Eureka will premier this summer but its success or failure could make an impact on SGs ratings as well.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I know BSG is like critically acclaimed and everything and some people seem to worship it (Sky One has sooooo many adverts for it, but none for the SG's), and yet the ratings for it are not much higher than SG-1's, and usually on par with Atlantis's. So how is it gonna do better against, y'know, proper shows.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                          I don't think so. Enough people still tune in to watch SG-1 and SGA primarily. I don't think it will be a big problem.
                          I agree, I don't think the ratings on SG1 or SGA will be hurt. I know I will miss seeing BSG on Friday night after SGA though

Comment

Dont know what the hell the writers where smoking when they wrote s02e20 but now they have a BIG PROBLEM...And thats why it was moved to Oct... At least thats my theory...

McKay: Crap.
                            Hermiod: What did you do?
                            McKay: I just ran it through a translation program. It's Wraith.
                            Hermiod: Crap, indeed.

Comment

I think they are hoping to spread their ratings out over the entire year, but truth of the matter is, I don't want to stay at home just to watch one episode of BSG and nothing else interesting. I got hooked on BSG because it was after SG-1 and Atlantis. My preference is that they would have left well enough alone.
                              Karen Morris
                              7th Chevron GM
                              http://www.7thchevron.com

Comment

Working...
                              X