This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG2Go (Mobile Stargate Page)

Hey everyone, just wanted to inform ya of my little, personal Stargate WAP page which I've dubbed SG2Go, which can be found here

Like the page says, it is still in the early stages (seeing as how I just made it 10 minutes ago, but it will expand to include downloadable ringers such as the SG-1 theme and hopefully it will eventually have the new Stargate: Atlantis theme, as well as downloadable screensavers, etc. and possibly even an animated gate activation (once I figure out the whole avi to gif to pcd thing. )
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Great idea Andy!
    Rocky

Comment

Hey it works also! Good stuff. I can't wait to get some downloads such as ringtones, wallpapers and screensavers. Possibly a dialling sequence?
      __

__

Comment

My computer is displaying the text on this page so small, is it the same for everyone else or is my computer just weird that way?
        Rocky

Comment

Yeah, the text comes up small on my computer also, but it has been designed for a mobile. You have to think there is massive screen size difference!
          __

__

Comment

Ya know...I wish they would make an SGC phone. Like instead of saying "Nokia" when it starts up it has the spinning SGC logo. That'd be awesome.

Comment

or have the phone designed like a GDO

Comment

I seem to have hit a speed bump while designing the site (since its in WML format and not HTML). Basically, I am having difficulty in getting the files to download to cell phones like they would from a site like www.3gupload.com and www.d-d-n.com so I am wondering if anyone here has designed a site and can help me out with fixing this little issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
                  I seem to have hit a speed bump while designing the site (since its in WML format and not HTML). Basically, I am having difficulty in getting the files to download to cell phones like they would from a site like www.3gupload.com and www.d-d-n.com so I am wondering if anyone here has designed a site and can help me out with fixing this little issue.

You might want to keep the pages in HTML format as I've coem to realise that WML doesn't always work the way you want it to. The idea is for the site to be displayed on a mobile, not a PC, not a Mac nor any other machine so you'll need to keep everything small, sleek and accessible via a mobile connection. Not all mobiles with WAP/Internet access support these sort of files, so you ahve to ensure that everything that you have is user-friendly. If it isn't then that's where your problems will start to appear.

Downloading a file to a cellphone can also be a difficult matter to handle. Not all phones support all types of files. A example is, not every phone supports a MP3 file or a WAV file, and the ones that do, they don't always come that cheap. This will be another problem that you will face with doing a mobile site. Not all files are supported. You also said earlier you wanted files such as images to be passed between each other and again, not all phones support the files. Either the images can be too big, unsupporting format or simply the file is too large to recieve.

I have designed aplenty of sites before which mainly include casading style sheets for the template. A site for a mobile however works differently. If you want any more help, send me a PM.
                  __

__

Comment

Well, I've been able to resolve the issue once I furthered my knowledge of WML and how it works, and I now have downloadable wallpapers/screensaver (not animated), and the SG-1 Theme Song (long version).

Comment

I designed a small WML site once, but I didn't get too deep into the language. It was basically just text, links and pictures. Most of what Anubis said doesn't make much sense actually, so I would ignore most of it. No offence Anubis. Designing WML is different than designing HTML. WAP-compatible phones aren't required to support HTML and I'm sure most of them don't, especially older ones. I haven't done anything with WAP downloads, so I can't comment on any of that.
                      My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
                        I designed a small WML site once, but I didn't get too deep into the language. It was basically just text, links and pictures. Most of what Anubis said doesn't make much sense actually, so I would ignore most of it. No offence Anubis. Designing WML is different than designing HTML. WAP-compatible phones aren't required to support HTML and I'm sure most of them don't, especially older ones. I haven't done anything with WAP downloads, so I can't comment on any of that.

Thats ok. I was more explaining the downside of a mobile page than resolving a problem! Since I haven't designed a WML site, I wouldn't know and it's not something in particular I plan to do.
                        __

__

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is WAP-phones? It's not Wireless Access Point, right? Also, are WML pages designed for internet browsers for PDAs? I think i've viewed HTML pages with my PDA before, but I have viewed "mobile pages" which I assume use WML, which allows for easier viewing as everything fits on teh screen.

Comment

A WAP-capable phone is one that is a Wireless Application Protocol that can support web-based/WML-capable sites, as well as basic html sites without all the extra extensions.

Comment

Working...
                            X