This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Gate Addresses

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?
    When McKay was dialing the very first address on the Atlantis gate, he hit 8 symbol buttons, not 7.
    You can see this, if you have the 2 hour pilot recorded, by pausing just before he begins dialing, and then step through it frame by frame.
    No other gate dialing since that first one has been anything other than a 7 symbol address.
    I tried to search for any threads that may already exist on this subject using the search function, and could not find any.
    I apologize if there has already been a thread on this subject and ask that if you know where such a thread is located, to please post its location. I am very interested in other responses to this observation.
    Thanks!

Middle button is the activation button.

The PoO is down and to the right from it.
    sigpic

Comment

It takes 8 to dial to another galexy.
      -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
      GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
      M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
      ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
      geekcode

Comment

Activation button or just a mistake- I remember in the ep where they went through the gate and got stuck, the pilot only dialed six symbols.

Comment

This has been argued to death in other threads. There has never been a dialing error in Atlantis they always dialed the 6 address buttons + the PoO + the activation button.
          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
            This has been argued to death in other threads. There has never been a dialing error in Atlantis they always dialed the 6 address buttons + the PoO + the activation button.
            I guess i didn't make my reply specific enough
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Middle button is the activation button.

The PoO is down and to the right from it.
              I thought the middle button was the deactivation button, as seen in "Hide and Seek." It could be both, I suppose.
              Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                I thought the middle button was the deactivation button, as seen in "Hide and Seek." It could be both, I suppose.
                It is both

Comment

Originally posted by chiefchucky
                  It is both
                  Then what happenes if you've dialed all seven symbols and then you want to change your mind??
                  Rocky

Comment

Then what happenes if you've dialed all seven symbols and then you want to change your mind??
                    Yeah, I've always wondered why they didn't have a delete button. It's possible, since each address only uses a glyph once, that you could tap the last dialed glyph to toggle it back off. You could probably put in a wrong POO to make it a bad address and that might wipe the entry clean. Suffice to say, don't screw up the address in an emergency.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by rainfrog
                      Activation button or just a mistake- I remember in the ep where they went through the gate and got stuck, the pilot only dialed six symbols.

Well maybe they dont need to press the button for the point of origin when flying around?
                      When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                      I miss you.
                      Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

Why, you double-tap it, of course!
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Icemancmd
                          Well maybe they dont need to press the button for the point of origin when flying around?
                          A minute or two after that point, you see the dialing device from another angle, and two other buttons are lit up. 7 chevrons were dialed in total, they just editted it to confuse us nitpickers.

Comment

in 38 Minutes they dialed 5 symbols then a blue button, however i don't think we could see all the buttons on the panel so it's possible 1 or 2 more symbols could have been pressed.
                            spook

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.
                              I didn’t realize that the center button was for activation.

OK, here’s a brain teaser for you.
                              Other than good story line, since it was a key eliminate of the original “Star Gate” movie, in theory, why would you even need to know what the POO is?
                              The Ancients built this high tech network of gates, but didn’t program each gate with it’s POO?
                              I no, I no, you need the POO in order to dial and make a connection to another gate. Why!?
                              What I’m saying is that the POO could be/should be programmed into each gate.
                              To me, it’s kind of like dialing the telephone. I can call anyone anywhere in the world that I may want, from any telephone in the world, and not once do I need to know where I am in the world, in order to make a telephone connection. It would be like having to add the telephone number of the telephone from which you are making the call, as part of the dialing, before a connection could be made.

And, in case I missed it, and since you cannot dial and make a connection without the POO, where did they get the POO for the return to Atlantis from the planet the Wraith were on?

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X