This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate related baby names

I just had a kid, I really wanted to either name him Charlie or a name I came up with that would be long for "Zack" or "Nick"
    Zak'nikatel

SPOILERS
    my wife obviously did not go for it

Has anyone else ever thought of creative alien SG names or actually taken the plunge and named their kid after a sci-fi series word?

Originally posted by OsirisDICK
    Has anyone else ever thought of creative alien SG names or actually taken the plunge and named their kid after a sci-fi series word?
    I am fairly close, but it is fanatasy not scifi... I have gotten my wife to agree that if we have a baby girl in the future that we would name her Eowyn after the The Lord Of The Rings character. My wife LOVED her in the movie so it was easy to get her to agree.

Witch King: You fool. No man can kill me. Die now.
    Eowyn: I am no man.

Figured this was close enough to mention.

Comment

nope. and considering i highly doubt i will actually have kids, i dont think it really applies to me...

except:

my dungeons and dragons' character's horse is called Martouf.

and I fully intend to call all my future pets by very stargatey names.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafana
        and I fully intend to call all my future pets by very stargatey names.
        I tried to do that with the last pet acquired, but I made the mistake of telling my husband that he could name her. Besides, I wanted "Sam" and there's a close family relative that just wouldn't appreciate that.

If there were any actual spawing to be going on around here, there are already too many family traditions involved. However, those just happen to include "Nick" (no "zat", though), "Daniel", "Jack", "Samantha", "Grace" and even "Marty". <shudder> But no, I wouldn't claim Stargate as an origin. A coincidence, maybe...
        Last edited by Anthro Girl; 10 August 2004, 12:57 AM.
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
          I tried to do that with the last pet acquired, but I made the mistake of telling my husband that he could name her. Besides, I wanted "Sam" and there's a close family relative that just wouldn't appreciate that.
          see.. im thinking more along the lines of camulus, and selmak, teal'c etc.

funky stuff you wouldnt actually call a person

Comment

There are four pets and two humans in the household. Names have to be short and easily identified when the shouting starts.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

See, I don't intend to have kids myself, but I tend to agree with Jafana. . . . If you're gonna go that direction, then go with a name that's recognizable for being "Stargate related" as opposed to something more "earth based."
              Anyway, just a thought..........
              efficiency is nothing more than intelligent laziness

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainE420
                See, I don't intend to have kids myself, but I tend to agree with Jafana. . . . If you're gonna go that direction, then go with a name that's recognizable for being "Stargate related" as opposed to something more "earth based."
                I think in some (many?) countries you can't even call your child anything, it has to be an actual name. Then again, how does a really extraordinary name like Teal'c fit the surname of the kid?
                I don't think anyone has to recognize the name as being from Stargate, as long as you know, it's enough. And you're gonna tell your child when s/he grows up, of course.

I'd rather go for either just taking the boring, earth-based name (which is still better than giving your child a name just because it "sounds good" and which has no deeper meaning as in a positive association or anything) or combining two names of characters, i.e./or creating a unique, new name.

If I ever get a cat of my own, it's definitely going to be "Schrödinger" - you know, it doesn't sound that weird if you say it in a German sentence!

Comment

I was blessed or cursed (depends on what they have been doing; right now there is another roll of toilet paper all over the bathroom) with two cats a year ago. I was going to name them something from Stargate, but I couldn't find two girls names that I really liked enough to use for 15 years.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, I guess what is being said is pretty accurate. . . As cool as it might sound to name your son Bra'tac or your daughter Oma, in practice, . . . . maybe it's not the best of ideas. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainE420
                      As cool as it might sound to name your son Bra'tac or your daughter Oma, in practice, . . . . maybe it's not the best of ideas. . . .
                      "Oma" is actually not a good idea at all! Because it means "granny" in German!!! I once went to school with someone called "Homa" (she was from Iran) and they already called her "Oma" all the time, teasing her.

You wouldn't want your child to live with that, would you? Although, all the German-speakers your girl would meet would have a great time.

Comment

that's exactly what I'm getting at. . . but for the record, if Oma was all they could come up with to make fun of Homa then, umm, maybe they weren't trying very hard. . . I think I probably offended some with that remark. Sorry, that was unintentional. . .

Comment

O_O ive got 2 boys 2 and 1 years old, they got normal names, any parents who want to name their kids camulus, Selmak, Teal'C, Bray'Tac, Donkey'Ass Sokar, or any thing like that should be arrested for child abuse as soon as they leave the hospital, because your kid will get beat down, made fun of until they cry every day at school for the rest of their lives, and as soon as they turn 18 probably change their name just to help them forget the Horrid childhood because you gave them a name that was basicaly a huge kick me sign.

Point In case a friend of mind had a kid in 1996 our Junior year in High School, and some how talked his girlfriend into naming him Goku.....I'm not even going to explain how much they regret it, but before he started kindergarten they had his name changed to Anthony, and ultimatly he has need some counsling because of having his name changed, it messed with his head that much.
                          Moral of the story, Dont name your kids stupid crap

Comment

I was thinking about naming my son Chevron Guy...

Comment

I think my dad's friend named his son Trek!

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                              Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X