Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why in tarnations do they not use Goa'uld technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why in tarnations do they not use Goa'uld technology?

I can't seem to understand this - especially in the medical field. The Goa'uld hand devices can do anything from knock people back with concussive blasts to heal people (which would be useful ON missions), yet the SG teams never use them.

SG-1 is the biggest mystery. Carter can use them. O'Neill could use them but never did. Now with Vala on the team, she can use them... so we have 2 out of the 4 members with naquada in their bloodstream and the capacity to whup butt with Goa'uld devices.

Yet they never do... c'mon, people... wise up to what amazing things you can use!

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    I can't seem to understand this - especially in the medical field. The Goa'uld hand devices can do anything from knock people back with concussive blasts to heal people (which would be useful ON missions), yet the SG teams never use them.

SG-1 is the biggest mystery. Carter can use them. O'Neill could use them but never did. Now with Vala on the team, she can use them... so we have 2 out of the 4 members with naquada in their bloodstream and the capacity to whup butt with Goa'uld devices.

Yet they never do... c'mon, people... wise up to what amazing things you can use!
    Didn't one episode say that sarcophagus' caused negative side effects? Perhaps other Goa'uld healing tech is similar?
    X X I I

Comment

You need Naquada in the blood to work Goa'uld devices.

SG-1 is the biggest mystery. Carter can use them.
      Badly.

O'Neill could use them but never did.
      I think it had something to do with his symbiote dying too early or something (Into the Fire).

Now with Vala on the team, she can use them... so we have 2 out of the 4 members with naquada in their bloodstream and the capacity to whup butt with Goa'uld devices.

Ok, I'm not very good with old school SG1, but besides healing and shielding, what other Goa'uld devices are there?

Comment

The sarcophagus caused a loss of empathy and eventual megalomania in people who habitually abused it to improve their overall health and extend their lives. It was perfectly safe to use to heal a severe or fatal wound.

Jack has been resurrected by sarcophagus dozens, possibly hundreds, of times with no ill effects. We really don't know how many times Ba'al killed him in Abyss.

Considering that most people only die once or twice in a lifetime, the sarcophagus is an excellent tool for the SGC. The only problem is that it has the potential to make suspense and drama based on potential or impending death quite impossible. Death doesn't man as much when it isn't permanent.

Comment

SG-1 is the biggest mystery. Carter can use them.
          She doesn't know how to use them properly, and, like she almost did with Daniel at the end of season 5, she may kill someone. She might get better with practice, but she could probably kill people while on her way to mastery and that would be unacceptable to her.

O'Neill could use them but never did.
          From what I understand, the melding between his goa'uld and O'Neill was incomplete, so O'Neill couldn't use the goa'uld tech.

Now with Vala on the team, she can use them... so we have 2 out of the 4 members with naquada in their bloodstream and the capacity to whup butt with Goa'uld devices.
          Yeah, Vala could use them, provided she gets permission. But yeah, I agree that she should be outfitted with a hand device.

Incidentally, who is the 4th SG-1 member with naquada in their bloodstream? I thought O'Neill, Carter, and Vala had been the goa'uld hosts.

Comment

Erm, don't forget these devices are most likely still in storage at Area 51(which needs re-visiting) or being kept till a better understanding of their inner working can be used or developed.

Why lose it when you only have one or two?
            Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

why would SG-1 want to use goa'uld technology? one of the main technological premises of season 9 on has been that goa'uld technology is useless against the ori - vala couldn't use the healing device effectively enough against the ori plague, the staff weapons can't penetrate a prior's personal shielding, and ha'taks can't even take single hits from ori motherships.

Comment

well for staff blasts im sure theyd do something.

Oniell can use them im sure even though the symbiot died he has its naquadah in his blood, and if it didnt his time as a tokra would definately given him the ablility to use gould tech
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                  Erm, don't forget these devices are most likely still in storage at Area 51(which needs re-visiting) or being kept till a better understanding of their inner working can be used or developed.

Why lose it when you only have one or two?
                  Um... they defeated the Goa'uld System Lords! I'm sure they have more then one or two lying around.

As for O'Neill - have all of you guys forgotten that he had a Symbiote in him not once, but twice? Yes, the one Hathor tried to implant died to fast, but after O'Neill caught the Ancient Plague, a Tok'ra Symbiote was implanted in him that saved his life.

He definetley had that Tok'ra in him longer then Jolinar was in Carter, so he would have Naquada in his blood.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshNaranek
                    why would SG-1 want to use goa'uld technology? one of the main technological premises of season 9 on has been that goa'uld technology is useless against the ori - vala couldn't use the healing device effectively enough against the ori plague, the staff weapons can't penetrate a prior's personal shielding, and ha'taks can't even take single hits from ori motherships.
                    Um, yes, and the human technology is fairing so much better

Comment

He definetley had that Tok'ra in him longer then Jolinar was in Carter, so he would have Naquada in his blood.
                      Didn't that symbiote jump out of him and not actually die inside of him?

Comment

So what? He should still have the naquadah. Infact, just for a similar fact EVERY SG team member should get an injection of naquadah.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman
                          So what? He should still have the naquadah. Infact, just for a similar fact EVERY SG team member should get an injection of naquadah.
                          Jacob said in Allies That Jack never went through a "True blending". What that means exactly I don't know but as far as I can tell it was neither denied or confirmed that he could use Goa'uld hand device, etc so we can't say for certain one way or the other. I think at that point in time they wanted to explore Jack's ancient gene story line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman
                            Err, yeah... I'm sure injecting every single sg team member with trace elements of a heavy metal would be a great idea...

Comment

They established that Sam didn't have much control over either the ribbon device or the healing device, so I can understand why she doesn't use the technology. Maybe the devices depend on the amount of naquadah in the blood which depends on how long you have been a host, or maybe the naquadah is a necessary but not sufficent condition to using them effectively. It's possible that you have to know how to channel the energy using the naquadah as a conduit? I can't remember, did Jolinar actually use a device while in Sam? If not, Sam never got a chance to 'feel' how it should be done.

However, in Vala's case, I will see it as a big plot-hole if they don't either show her using Goa'uld tech, or explain why she doesn't. We know from PU that she carried a dinky little healing device (I'd have thought that as an ex-host in a dangerous universe, it's the first thing to pack!). She was also very proficient with the larger healing device in TPTB - admittedly it eventually stopped working, but it's still useful for the many non-Ori injuries they may suffer. The writers may be reluctant to introduce the healing device because it makes things too easy - you can have someone badly injured and then healed instantly. But I think it's been well enough established that there are limits to the device's power - broken bones presumably have to be set before they are healed etc., so I don't think it would be a problem. Having Vala use a healing device would, IMO, be better story-telling than the current approach, which allows our team to be beaten up for hours on end and then walk away with only minor scratches on their face!

I'd also like to see Vala use other hand devices. The assassin who went after Jolinar used a device to mess with minds in order to get past security - I can imagine that Vala might find that useful as well. And the ribbon device is both a powerful offensive weapon as well as an instrument of torture and a means of dragging information out of the victim's mind, so it would be interesting to see SG-1 in a situation where they need Vala to use one. Plenty of potential for angst and ethical dilemmas. It's possible Vala doesn't like using the more unpleasant aspects of the hand devices because they bring back bad memories - I've always thought that one of the creepier aspects of being a host must be when you have to watch powerlessly as your Goa'uld reaches out to torture or kill.

Comment

Working...
                              X