PDA

View Full Version : Why no Zats or Staff Weapons in Atlantis?

Pages : [1] 2

Erik Pasternak
July 2nd, 2004, 10:00 PM
Whenever SG-1 goes on missions, they always take zats with them, and they have proven very useful, especially if you only want to incapacitate them. Does anyone know if the Atlantis team will get any zats when they head off, or will they find some sort of similar weapon when they get there (something used by the Wraith or maybe something the Ancients left in Atlantis)?

uknesvuinng
July 2nd, 2004, 10:29 PM
No episode images show the Atlantis team using zats, and there's no mention of them yet on SciFi's Atlantis site's tech section. They may have left zats out of Atlantis. For the most part, Atlantis won't deal with the Goa'uld, so in order to all new viewers to get into the show without having to know the history of SG-1 (namely, what zats are), they chose to exclude zats from the show.

Erik Pasternak
July 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
No episode images show the Atlantis team using zats, and there's no mention of them yet on SciFi's Atlantis site's tech section. They may have left zats out of Atlantis. For the most part, Atlantis won't deal with the Goa'uld, so in order to all new viewers to get into the show without having to know the history of SG-1 (namely, what zats are), they chose to exclude zats from the show.Well, if that's the case, then hopefully the Atlantis team will discover something similar in the Pegasus galaxy!

Chevron_nine
July 2nd, 2004, 10:42 PM
They're bringing good 'ol human-designed tasers with them. These could be interesting to watch on the screen.

Idun
July 2nd, 2004, 11:12 PM
The Wraith blaster, will stun instead of kill. The Wraith want the victim to have life force in them so they can consume that energy oh their prey.

It is by no means a sidearm, but I can see the Atlantis team using that in the future.

Torley
July 2nd, 2004, 11:28 PM
Would be funny if they discovered a weakness of the Wraith were people who ate junk food all day... ha ha ha... Super Size Me...

They'll have to address this sooner or later, won't they? Do the Wraith care about a victim's health? I suppose they might snack on Doggett (dollar$ to donut$) but wouldn't give a hoot about Cigarette-Smoking Man anytime soon.

hail_jack
July 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
What does it mean by the wraith sucking (?) people's "life force" out of them?

Anubis
July 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
I think it just means that their energy is drained from their body. So if you drunk tons of coffee, your energy would probably be gone and you'd go to sleep

Torley
July 3rd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Like using a "cure" spell on a zombie in RPG games... :D

Lostinmyownvoid
July 3rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Like using a "cure" spell on a zombie in RPG games... :D

Sheppard: Quick throw the band-aids!
Wraith A, B, C, & D: ARRRRRRGGGHHHH

Anubis
July 3rd, 2004, 10:08 AM
lol I totally agree with that suggestion of RPG games

SGSlugger
July 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Maybe when they return back to Earth they will take back with them the right equipment. It looks like they are only taking Earth-based stuff. They're leaving behind Sam's Kull Warrior gun (which would prove VERY effective against the Wraith, since it drains life engery), zats, staffs, and a whole lot of other good stuff.

Anubis
July 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah, they might actually take stuff back that works more efficant or that actually works

Erik Pasternak
July 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
No episode images show the Atlantis team using zats, and there's no mention of them yet on SciFi's Atlantis site's tech section. They may have left zats out of Atlantis. For the most part, Atlantis won't deal with the Goa'uld, so in order to all new viewers to get into the show without having to know the history of SG-1 (namely, what zats are), they chose to exclude zats from the show.But according to that logic, they wouldn't feature a puddle jumper in a SG-1 episode, but "It's Good To Be King" (I think that's the title, it's the one with Maybourne) features one.

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Yep, that's the episode Good To Be King

Mio
July 4th, 2004, 06:10 AM
But according to that logic, they wouldn't feature a puddle jumper in a SG-1 episode, but "It's Good To Be King" (I think that's the title, it's the one with Maybourne) features one.
No, it makes sense..

The SG1 fans are probably going to watch SG:A and know what a puddle jumper is.

The _NEW_ SGA fans won't know what a zat is, because they didn't watch within the serpant's grasp.

David85
July 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
So they can just say its a gun. I'm pretty sure a gun would not turn people away. Plus it would make sense for them to bring every type of weapon. At some point Earth based weapons will run of of bullets and ZATS never do. Of course we probably figured that being the Lost City of Atlantis they would have some better weapons for us to use.

Zat Gun
July 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
No, I am not on Stargate Atlantis and just for the record
Yes, I would like to be. hehehe

No episode images show the Atlantis team using zats, and there's no mention of them yet on SciFi's Atlantis site's tech section. They may have left zats out of Atlantis. For the most part, Atlantis won't deal with the Goa'uld, so in order to all new viewers to get into the show without having to know the history of SG-1 (namely, what zats are), they chose to exclude zats from the show.

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I think it's pretty obvious what a zat is, a alien version of a gun!

David85
July 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I think it's pretty obvious what a zat is, a alien version of a gun!

Don't underestimate the stupidity of people. :D

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM
True, but it's pretty obvious

gate traveler
July 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Maybe they aaren't taking zats because there aren't any to bring. How many zats have been brought back to Earth?

Erik Pasternak
July 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Maybe they aaren't taking zats because there aren't any to bring. How many zats have been brought back to Earth?I don't know, but they always seem to have as many as they need.

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 10:18 PM
since the Goa'uld steal most of there technology... maybe there is an Ancient version of the zat.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
The Zats seem to have a real reptilian form that fits the Goa'uld well. I hope they have a lot of spare supplies, because aren't they ever worrying about running out of stuff to scavenge, even with so many planets conquered? I guess the big question here is: WHO originally provided the Zat guns, Ha'tak ships, and so many other Goa'uld possessions?

Erik Pasternak
July 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM
The Zats seem to have a real reptilian form that fits the Goa'uld well. I hope they have a lot of spare supplies, because aren't they ever worrying about running out of stuff to scavenge, even with so many planets conquered? I guess the big question here is: WHO originally provided the Zat guns, Ha'tak ships, and so many other Goa'uld possessions?My guess would be the Ancients, simply because the Ancient outpost fround in "Lost City" had a set of rings. Carter even said something (to the effect) that if they Ancients built it, there must be a set of rings down there somewhere.

Mio
July 8th, 2004, 11:14 PM
My guess would be the Ancients, simply because the Ancient outpost fround in "Lost City" had a set of rings. Carter even said something (to the effect) that if they Ancients built it, there must be a set of rings down there somewhere. Who said Zats were Ancient tech?

Hyperdrive tech, etc, is clearly ancient (the crystals used emulate other ancient tech we've seen)

But no one said Zats were Ancient.

Erik Pasternak
July 8th, 2004, 11:28 PM
No one said it but me. If you notice it says MY GUESS, which means I think the Ancients invented zats, I don't know for sure.

David85
July 16th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Earth base weapons suck, and they need bullets, so they might run out. And there is no way home. So why no Zats?

Some have said because people new to Stargate wouldn't know what they are (are they that dump) but even so Sheppard knows nothing about the Stargate and couls have just have him ask "What's that?" and they explain it.

Then it hit me. Bullets don't hurt the Wraith. With Zats one shot stuns, two kills, that's nothing to the Wraith, they could just regenerate, but three they would go "boom". With Zats the Wraith would be weak things and we could kill them. The only reason why the Anients died is because they were out numbered, but we have 6 billion so we have more. :)

Little plot hole in the series...

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Sounds good, but then again, when we shoot Jaffa, they die. When we shoot Wraith, they regenerate. We don't know how fast they can regenerate. So we not be able to kill them as quickly as you would like.

David85
July 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Shoot them three times in a row, that shouldn't take more than 3 seconds... they can't regenerate that fast, plus just have three people shooting, dead in a second.

Calicto
July 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Also, the presence of Goa'uld technology is threatening in an Ancient area.

If Atlantis had sensors to sense Goa'uld technology (with whom they were once at war with), Atlantis might percieve the teams as enemies.

Common Sense:
Zats = Goa'uld
Ancients do not like Goa'uld
Do not bring Goa'uld into a place where ancients could be living.

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM
It's not so much 'regenerating' with the zat's 3 shots, it's your electrical field changing.

SG1Poz
July 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM
One shot stuns, second shot kills and the third shot disinegrates them. That would end the show pretty quick eh?

SG-1Poz

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Well...we might have had not a alot to spare. I mean, SG1 occasionally takes a set. How many are left? Thenagain, we did take all the Goa'uld stuff out of Seth's house right?

David85
July 16th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I like the "Gould are bad" and the guns can't be in taken into Atlantis, but they didn't even bring them...

I'm sorry, but I'm sure SGC, how has bullets, can give some ZATs to the most important discovering EVER. :)

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I like the "Gould are bad" and the guns can't be in taken into Atlantis, but they didn't even bring them...

I'm sorry, but I'm sure SGC, how has bullets, can give some ZATs to the most important discovering EVER. :)

They may not have had time to unpack :)

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Since its a one way trip, Zats would have been a good idea.
What if they run out of bullets. Then what, make some pea shooters and slingshots.

Loki
July 16th, 2004, 08:58 PM
It does raise an interesting question though, how many rounds of ammo did they bring on this expedition and what happens when they run out?

Mio
July 16th, 2004, 09:00 PM
It does raise an interesting question though, how many rounds of ammo did they bring on this expedition and what happens when they run out?
I'm sure the ancients have sidearms.

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Or replicators (like in Star Trek) like Mio said. He/She(Mio) is mad smart.

electronlove
WHy do they need zats when they're going to start usig the wraith weapons. Who would be smart enough to make a weapon that only killed the "bad guy"!

EYU86
Like I said, slingshots.
"Looks like you're outta ammo."
*Looks at the ground*
"And seems like I have all the ammo in the world..."

David85
July 16th, 2004, 09:04 PM
WHy do they need zats when they're going to start usig the wraith weapons. Who would be smart enough to make a weapon that only killed the "bad guy"!

The Wraith guns only stun people.

DownFallAngel
July 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
it could have a kill feature.

uknesvuinng
July 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Shoot them three times in a row, that shouldn't take more than 3 seconds... they can't regenerate that fast, plus just have three people shooting, dead in a second.
This assumes that they don't have some invulnerability to the zat like Aris Boch did.

A simple in story reason for no zats is who needs them. SGC is still fighting the Goa'uld and need the technologically advanced weapons they can't reproduce to use against said Goa'uld. The Atlantis team was going to a city that appeared entirely abandoned, and most likely they wouldn't have any use for weapons. They sent enough weapons for a just-in-case, weapons that they can easily produce more of back on Earth.

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Or they could be just like Zats, one shot stun, two shot kill, three shot disintegrate

David85
July 16th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Or they could be just like Zats, one shot stun, two shot kill, three shot disintegrate

That would be lame. lol

EYU86
July 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Yea, I know

Major Tyler
July 17th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Atlantis was wonderful and I can't wait for more!

Serpent Guard
July 17th, 2004, 03:30 AM
It could be a possibility that they did bring some Zats, but we just didn't see them used. The Zats being introduced as weapons against the Wraith could provide Earth with the new advantage that the Wraith wouldn't expect--a weapon that could kill them so easily.

Sure, a big part of the Wraith's profile as a race is that they feed on fear, and where would our fear go if we could just zap them 3 times with a Zat? However, think of it this way; early in SG-1, we feared the Goa'uld. Now we don't as much, but still do to an extent. I could see the same happening in Atlantis with the Wraith, should they decide to start using Zats against them.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 05:46 AM
I don't think the Ancients would mind if we brought Goa'uld weapons. They are sofisticated enough to tell the difference between a symbiote and a weapon using naquadah I think :)

Dogma00
July 17th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Look how the Major killed one of the Wraiths. There is only so much regening that these beings can do. It looks like to me that a well placed shot from a P90 does the job. Or just a sharp pointy thing through the body... *Och, that hurts!* LOL :D

hokiewalrus
July 17th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I think it's fair to say that Zats wouldn't be that effective. Anubis used Ancient knowledge to build his "super soliders" and they were impervious to zats. Someone else also mentioned that there are people naturally immune, so you gotta think that a creature that can regenerate itself would have no problem maintaining an eltrical balance in it's body.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM
We really need to get our hands on some Kull Warrior technology. I would love to have some of those gauntlets.

Does the life draining TER work on Wraiths you think?

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 12:18 PM
life draining TERs? They made you go splat.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Well they killed the Kull Warriors, so would they work on Wraiths!?

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Oh you meant that weapon. But that was based to terminate the ancient technology stuff. I don't think the Wraith are ancient technology. But I guess they could try, but I think they'll be needed in our galaxy though.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Well if the sarcohpogus revives or reguvinates your lifework, and the Reverse TER takes what the sarcohpgus does, away, then why wouldn't it work on the Wraith? Both have a lifeforce of somesort. Maybe it could be calibrated to take care of both problems?

none the less we need some Kull gauntlets. Those things are too cool for school.

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Ye, i'll take two Kull bracelets =)

EYU86
July 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
The SGC needs all the TER's they have. They can't spare any since Baal controls the Kull Warrior assembly line that Anubis built.

Calicto
July 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Also, taking Wraith weapons is a bad idea. You dont know if it has some type of tracking device. Why take the chance?

aAnubiSs
July 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Also, taking Wraith weapons is a bad idea. You dont know if it has some type of tracking device. Why take the chance?

I thought the same, but I think they'll take one eventually.

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Right now they are just big stabbing devices.

Ancient
July 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I dont think the Wraith weapons have any kind of kill function because as the keeper said they must feed and why would they kill their cattle, theu cant drain them after them kill them so ergo no point,,, my 2 cents stunn onlly

DownFallAngel
July 17th, 2004, 02:06 PM
You could probably increase the power to the point were it becomes deadly.

Blue_Revan
July 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Zats probibly wouldnt make it through the gate to atlantis. There were several planets that didnt let weapons through, like the planet mayborn and onell got stuck on. The zat was gone, but the earth weapons stayed. Im sure the atlantis gate would have a similar fiture.

Excali5033
July 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Um...the Ancients were long gone by the time the Goa'uld became a major player in the galaxy, so I doubt there are any anti-naquadah defenses in the city. Anyway, for practical reasons, there are probably no Zats because that would constantly reference back to SG-1, and the producers are trying to set up Atlantis as its own entity, hence the 'whoops, we don't have any ZPM's to hop on back to Earth with' problem. Plus I'm sure Ancient weapons would be better anyway. Heh, mini-drone launchers or something.

David85
July 17th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Look how the Major killed one of the Wraiths. There is only so much regening that these beings can do. It looks like to me that a well placed shot from a P90 does the job. Or just a sharp pointy thing through the body... *Och, that hurts!* LOL :D

Hahaha, you think she is really dead? Remeber how often Goul'd died, but weren't really dead? :)

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Oh, gee, and I just posted a post in another thread about that she-Wraith dying from such a simple mode of attack... maybe not. Who knows, they may have a laughable vulnerability yet and this is what helps turn the tide against them.

I don't think the Goa'uld even invented the Zats in the first place, eh? Aren't they scavengers of all their stuff? I wonder how much original stuff the Goa'uld have actually invented in the first place.

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 18th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Most of the stuff that can probably be pegged as original Goa'uld inventions have occurred because Earth's in-your-face resistence has prompted it. Apophis was building a brand-new type of warship despite having the then-largest System Lord fleet ever; either he or Sokar developed mothership-level cloaking devices; Nirrti was genetically engineering new breeds of humanity to make a new host; Anubis created the Kull warriors, more powerful shields and weapons, the scouting drones and his massive dreadnought-style mothership. (Granted, Anubis had partial Ancient knowledge, but he still applied it in more and better ways than any other Goa'uld developments we've seen were able to. I'm pretty sure the Ancients didn't experiment with making zombie foot soldiers, for example.)

I think they actually do have the ability to technologically grow, especially with the genetic knowledge thing, but they just don't care to. They crave power and worship over human slaves, so they only develop technology as far as they need to serve that goal.

Dogma00
July 18th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Hahaha, you think she is really dead? Remeber how often Goul'd died, but weren't really dead? :)

Hmmmm.... The female Wraith did tell Shepard that he made a mistake by sticking her with the Wriath weapon (releasing the other Wraiths). I got the impression from the scotish doctor that the Wraiths didn't die of nature causes (if they suck souls).

So that being said, put a big enough hole in them or go for a head shot sounds like a logical answer to the the problem. IMO I think she's dead as a door nail. Than again, it's just the first eps. ;)

PYRO
July 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Earth really needs a "laser" beam gun thingy....wait....is the um...the gun that sees invisible is that made by earth?

MacGyver
July 23rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
you know what i just noticed, they did not take any zats with them to atlantis, im sure they will find something just like it in the city, but i just thought it was kinda weird, maybe thye didnt want to introduce gould technology into atlantis, any ideas?

Selmak
July 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
I totally agree with you... I hope they find a zat-like weapon in Atlantis.

MetZger
July 23rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
maybe they did bring them to Atlantis but just didn't use them?

Metonic
July 23rd, 2004, 08:28 PM
I coulda swore I seen some in the opener but maybe they didnt Hopefully they left in in the closet/elevator.

DownFallAngel
July 23rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
They are trying to sperate the universes as much as possible. I'm sure they will find some type of new gun, or make one.

uknesvuinng
July 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
They are trying to sperate the universes as much as possible. I'm sure they will find some type of new gun, or make one.
I'm wondering if it might also be for the same legal reasons that the opener didn't include Carter and Teal'c (and Hammond I'd assume, though he far less likely to show up than Carter or Teal'c). I would still like to see some rings though, since they were from the movie.

Ilios
July 23rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I'm wondering if it might also be for the same legal reasons that the opener didn't include Carter and Teal'c (and Hammond I'd assume, though he far less likely to show up than Carter or Teal'c). I would still like to see some rings though, since they were from the movie.

They'll probably put rings somewhere in the series..

Erik Pasternak
July 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
**SPOILERS FOR "HIDE AND SEEK"**
When Sheppard and McKay were in the elevator/transporter thingy (when they beamed to Jinto's location) it was (or similar to) the sound effect used for the ring transporters.

disforw
July 24th, 2004, 12:02 AM
yea i mus say i liked that (sound)

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I hope they brought a few but haven't used them yet, or find a better replacment!

Crazedwraith
July 24th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Thanx for not putting in spoiler warnings! I've been trying to avoid Atlantis spoilers put thanx to this thread i had no choice put to find out they didn't have zat! The entire show is ruined for me!!! ;)

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah, besides I do think this thread should be over in the Atlantis section!

MacGyver
July 24th, 2004, 06:00 AM
hey do you see my pic, its general o'neill not atlantis o'neill , so i put this in general discussion, hahah

-Jules-
July 24th, 2004, 06:44 AM
**SPOILERS FOR "HIDE AND SEEK"**
When Sheppard and McKay were in the elevator/transporter thingy (when they beamed to Jinto's location) it was (or similar to) the sound effect used for the ring transporters.

yeah, i noticed that too!

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 06:46 AM
I think it was, with a little shuffle

aAnubiSs
July 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Spoilers Hide And Seek

I'm sure it was rings. And I'm sure that if they had Zats they would have tested them against the ascended thingy.

Joe
July 24th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Spoilers Hide And Seek

I'm sure it was rings. And I'm sure that if they had Zats they would have tested them against the ascended thingy.They would a Zat on some thing That eats energy that would just make it more powerful.

aAnubiSs
July 24th, 2004, 07:54 PM
They didn't find that out right away though.

Torley
July 25th, 2004, 03:41 AM
I'd like to see a new Ancient, rapid-fire weapon. Most of these alien handheld weapons seem to fire really slowly, with single pulses.

asher_cross
August 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Just an out-there question I'd like to see people's opinions on, I just thought of it right now. Why didn't they bring any staff weapons or zat guns with them to Atlantis? Is there some way they couldn't bring them with them?

I mean, they could've come in handy (zat guns with their stunning capability), and regular SGC personnel seem to carry a zat gun standard issue. I haven't seen any at all, just the P-90s, and that kick-ass gun Sheppard fires in the pilot and opening credits XD.

Just like to hear your thoughts on this.

Erik Pasternak
August 1st, 2004, 10:47 PM
There are already several threads on this subject, looking at those might help. The main reason is probably in an attempt to establish Atlantis as it's own show.

Mulciber
August 1st, 2004, 11:01 PM
Heres the main reason i think this isnt so... Atlantis in Earths perspective is nothing more than an attempt to contact and retrieve ancient technology, an mission of exploration (basically earth had no idea that the wraith could even pose a threat to their galaxy); because this is a mission of exploration, in a time when earth is in great danger of getting invaded again without ancient defenses, it would be wise to keep all the gu'auld weapons on earth since they cant be reproduced... yet anyway.

nomadtw
August 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
what didn't they read the script, or TV guide before it aired, or watch any of the commercials? they should've known ahead of time that they would be meeting a 'new and more powerful enemy' hehe

DaCubs
August 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Any thoughts? I've been pleasently surprised w/ Atlantis so far, but this made no sense to me. It seems that in the last episode when they used tasers to try and capture a Wraith, it would have been a lot easier if they'd had a Zat. This is the only thing that has really bugged me so far.

SensesFail062
August 9th, 2004, 07:27 AM
maybe they thought the goa'uld weapons would eb innefective against such an advanced enemy?

yaaayoubetcha
August 9th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I'd think that would be a command decision beyond O'neill.

They don't have a limitless supply of alien weapons, not even the small stuff like zats, so the upper echelons could very well have decided it was not worth the risk of sending precious tech on what everybody agreed could very well be a one way trip.

aAnubiSs
August 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM
SensesFail062 they didn't know there were an enemy.

Yes, they should've brought Zats, Staffs, Intars and atleast one T.E.R. One would also persume they have atleast one Al'kesh Cannon from Metamorphisis

PlaZ
August 9th, 2004, 08:43 AM
spoiler sga pilot
'
##
'
##
'
##
'
##
'

maybe for the same reason as why sam and tealc werent in the pilot. it wouldve been too sg1 specific. people who havent watched sg1 can enjoy sga without any detailed knowledge about sg1
maybe...

Racer1441
August 9th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I was hoping that they would take some 'in development' Earth designed goul'd weapons. They took apart and rebuilt a glider, ect.. so i thought they would have developed a Earth based version of the Zat for example.

Cyclops
August 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
If PlaZ had not posted his/her response I would have. I think they want a truely stand alone show (as much as possible).

prion
August 9th, 2004, 09:15 AM
If PlaZ had not posted his/her response I would have. I think they want a truely stand alone show (as much as possible).

The writers seem to want a show that shares some history with Stargate SG-1, but doesn't rely on a lot of its universe. Yes, they can have a few naquadrah generators, but no Zats, which would be incredibly useful in cleaning up the Wraith mess.

I think this point is going to be argued even after both shows end. I'd like to see someone ask the writers/producers what their reasoning was behind it.

aAnubiSs
August 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Personally I don't buy the "it's another show" explination. They used the gate to get there, they have Naquadah Reactors and more stuff. It would take 1 minute to explain what a zat/staff is.

PlaZ
August 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM
also the thing about the naquadrah reactors is, that they arent goauld tech. the sga universe needs naquadrah for its stargates too, they however skip the chemistry lesson which we had to got through in sg1 to explain how naq works

so its okay that they have them.

aschen
August 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM
They didn't know the Wraith were going to be there, nor did they know a damned thing about them except "They might have beat the Ancients." I think SG-1 needs these weapons more than SGA.

DaCubs
August 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM
As far as SG1 needing the Goa'uld weapons more than the SGA team, they wouldn't know that, but you would think the military would plan for the worse case scenario.

As far as SG1 having only a limited supply, yeah that's true, but its still possible for them to get more. And I still think SGA would have taken a few at least.

The best reason I've heard so far is that they wanted SGA to be its own show, thus w/ its own weapons (although they did take P90's-the weapon of choice of SG1). I can see why they'd want that, but on the other hand, its a spinoff, there should be some bridges between the two shows, besides the stargate itself. And practically speaking, they would have brought a few Goa'uld weapons and technology. It would be tech. not present in the new galaxy, and would presumably give them an advantage over unforseen enemies.

Ancient 1
August 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Any thoughts? I've been pleasently surprised w/ Atlantis so far, but this made no sense to me. It seems that in the last episode when they used tasers to try and capture a Wraith, it would have been a lot easier if they'd had a Zat. This is the only thing that has really bugged me so far.
Because it wasn't in the script!

On a more serious note: It could have been because having Goa'uld weapons they would have been perceived to be in league with the Goa'uld and therefore an enemy. Remember that they did almost half expect to meet the ancients when they went through the gate...and a big reason why they went.

Supreme Commander Thor
August 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
maybe they thought the goa'uld weapons would eb innefective against such an advanced enemy?
They didnt know there was an advanced enemy (or any enemy) before they went to atlantis.

Elitenova
August 9th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I was wondering why they dont carry zats on the Atlantis expedition. First shot stuns, second kills and third disentergrate. They probably easily kill a wraith with zats with the third shot.

Supreme Commander Thor
August 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I was wondering why they dont carry zats on the Atlantis expedition. First shot stuns, second kills and third disentergrate. They probably easily kill a wraith with zats with the third shot.
There was another thread that talked a lot about this, and everyone's ideas about it. There were lots... anyway, my opinion is that they still might have zats in all those damned crates they brought through the gates. Maybe they just havent used them yet... why? I dont know. Maybe they only had a couple and are saving them.

To me the bigger question is, Why are they not keeping all the wraith weapons they pcikup and using them? Hell, they have had mulitple wraith guns in their hands and they always drop them and run away... they should be keeping those things!

Racer1441
August 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I said this is the thread below, but it's worth repeating...

If they can rebuild flyers and generators, SGA should have the Earth version of the Zat. They should have developed their own version of the weapon that becomes standard issue to all off world teams.

Ancient 1
August 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
This thread is same as another: "Why No Goa'uld Weapons in Atlantis" My reply is there.

Mio
August 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Wow. Isn't this like the 10th thread on the subject?

uknesvuinng
August 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM

It comes down to seperation of shows. Zats were aquired in SG-1 via the S1 finale. To bring zats to Atlantis, they would have had to explain in the pilot how they got zats while saving the world from an enemy that won't be often seen in the Atlantis series, if seen at all. That's a pretty deep explanation required for a weapon. Not everyone who watches Atlantis will be familiar with SG-1. In fact, I have a friend who likes Atlantis, but refuses to watch SG-1 (it's not "Sci-Fi" enough for him). TPTB have to keep such viewers in mind. Also, while I don't know about this, zats may be out for the same legal reasons that Cater and Teal'c couldn't appear in the pilot.

If you want an in-story reason, zats need to be kept at Earth for defensive purposes. The SGC mandate is to aquire technologies for the defense of Earth. Sending a batch of those technologies with an expedition that as far as they knew wouldn't encounter enemies that warranted zats would consitute a waste of such defensive technologies.

Calicto
August 9th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I AM GOING TO DIE OF HEART FAILURE!!!!!!

No Zats? Why?

Goa'uld = Ancient's Enemy.
SGC has no clue what is at Atlantis, an Ancient city.
Do not bring Goa'uld weapon to enemy's city.
Why? Sensors could detect presence of Goa'uld weapon and go off killing the SGA team.

Why didnt they take Wraith Weapon? It could have been tracked or it could have self destruct.

Calicto
August 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I agree with Mio.

Do you need to be shot? We need a FAQ here. People asking the same question. Too lazy to read others. Too lazy to think about it.

Do not bring Goa'uld weapons into an unknown city of the Ancients who were enemies of the Goa'uld. It can turn on weapons that sense the weapons and take out the SGA Team. If you meet an Ancient, carrying Goa'uld weapons may mean taht you serve the Goa'uld.

uknesvuinng
August 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM

No Zats? Why?

Why? Sensors could detect presence of Goa'uld weapon and go off killing the SGA team.

Why didnt they take Wraith Weapon? It could have been tracked or it could have self destruct.

We have no reason to think that the Goa'uld and Ancients were enemies other than the Goa'uld did things that we're pretty sure the Ancients wouldn't be happy about (enslaving their "legacy", aka humans, about 10,000 years ago). The Four Race alliance wasn't stated as against the Goa'uld, and probably wasn't, considering the Nox's pacifist nature. The Ancient repository isn't known to specifically block the Goa'uld. It's only ever been seen to work on O'neill, who has been said to be special, a rare human who's actually capable of even recieving the knowledge. As far as we know, the repository doesn't work for people who can't recieve the knowledge.
Minor "Rising" spoiler

It may even be linked to the ATA gene.

uknesvuinng
August 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I agree with Mio.

Do you need to be shot? We need a FAQ here. People asking the same question. Too lazy to read others. Too lazy to think about it.

Do not bring Goa'uld weapons into an unknown city of the Ancients who were enemies of the Goa'uld. It can turn on weapons that sense the weapons and take out the SGA Team. If you meet an Ancient, carrying Goa'uld weapons may mean taht you serve the Goa'uld.
See response here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=92728&postcount=6).

Calicto
August 9th, 2004, 09:15 PM
No. ONe of the facets of the Great Alliance was to attempt to limit the growth of the Goa'uld Empire. It was clearly stated in an episode. I will find my quote when I am not lazy.

The show speculates that Teal'c was not able to use the item because it sensed the presence of the Goa'uld symbiote.

It doesnt matter if WE know that the Great Alliance was not against the Goa'uld. If you are General O'Neill and you have a hunch that the Ancients didnt like the Goa'uld. and that you also have limited knowledge, then you wouldnt bring Goa'uld weapons into an unknown planet.

Calicto
August 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Also, the Goa'uld are quite loathed in our galaxy. They could have been loathed in the Pegasus Galaxy. We dont know that for sure.
They could meet another race of aliens...

Alien: Hey, they have Goa'uld weapons! Kill them!

uknesvuinng
August 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
o. ONe of the facets of the Great Alliance was to attempt to limit the growth of the Goa'uld Empire. It was clearly stated in an episode. I will find my quote when I am not lazy.
The Alliance has only been mentioned once in the series, in S2's "The Fifth Race". Here is the quote from the episode transcript (thanks to SG1-Transcripts)

ASGARD 1: Understand this, there was once an alliance of four great races in
the galaxy; the Asgard, the Nox...
JACK: Met them.
ASGARD 1: ...the Furlings...
JACK: Don't know them.
ASGARD 1: ...and the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates.
JACK: Pretty heady group.
ASGARD 1: The alliance was built over many millennia. Your race has much to
prove before we may interact on that level.

There is no mention of the Goa'uld there. As best I recall, the only mention of the Goa'uld in that episode involved speculation that the Alliance may have known about the Goa'uld, those not allowing Goa'uld-types to use the repository, and the fact that the addresses Jack added weren't from the Abydos cartouche. It was stated in "Thor's Chariot" that the Asgard are at war with the Goa'uld. The Goa'uld weren't even aware of the existance of the Nox until S1's "The Nox". The only contact we know of the Goa'uld having with the Furlings was revealed in S6's "Paradise Lost". That merely seemed that the Goa'uld found out someone started a utopian colony and decided to get some easy slaves.

Also, the Goa'uld are quite loathed in our galaxy. They could have been loathed in the Pegasus Galaxy. We dont know that for sure.
They could meet another race of aliens...

Alien: Hey, they have Goa'uld weapons! Kill them!

The Goa'uld in Pegasus? Very unlikely. The Goa'uld take a while just to move around our galaxy. They aren't going to be prolific in another galaxy years away from them. It's unlikely they're even present in the Pegasus galaxy, unless some Goa'uld long ago decided to set off for another galaxy so he could rule it without opposition from other Goa'ulds. I imagine he and his followers made a nice afternoon meal for the Wraith.

OsirisDICK
August 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
easy answers:

Zat guns require energy recharging from a powersource that in their situation, may be in short supply.

The Wraith or Wraith armor is impervious to Zat blasts same way they had no effect on the bounty hunter from an episode on SG1 and Kull Warriors and they must have found this out on one of the missions they did not air on television.

SG-1 SEASON 7 SPOILERS

They should have brought some of those weapons that we did in fact back-engineer from the fountain of youth device that were used to disable Kull Warriors. Not even Anubis' ancient applied technology could withstand that.

GateGipsy
August 10th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I've merged this thread and the one titled No Goa'uld Weapons to Pegasus as they're both the same topic.

GhostPoet
August 10th, 2004, 11:56 AM
How would the team know if they brought enemy weapons on Atlantis..that Atlantis wouldn't either A) vaporize or banish whoever carried the weapon or B) just vaporize the weapon?

Remember...if the Asgard had tech to detect enemy signatures...then the Atlantians might have it too. It would cause more trouble then help.

And about bringing home wraith weapons...it's different then in SG-1. In SG-1 the enemy already KNEW where earth was..so bringing back a weapon with a tracer on it wouldn't matter really.
But in SGA...bringing home a wraith weapon could mean SHOWING the wrath exactly where atlantis is.

aAnubiSs
August 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Why would the Ancients care about Goa'uld designed weapons? If anything they should be worried about symbiotes. The Ancients probably understood that the Jaffa could rebel and/or some other race would start using goa'uld weapons.

And I don't think the Goa'uld were around 5-10 million years ago.

veneticuss
August 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Why would the Ancients care about Goa'uld designed weapons? If anything they should be worried about symbiotes. The Ancients probably understood that the Jaffa could rebel and/or some other race would start using goa'uld weapons.

And I don't think the Goa'uld were around 5-10 million years ago.
Yep, we have seen Orca. It didnt react to Tealc because of the symbionte

veneticuss
August 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM
How would the team know if they brought enemy weapons on Atlantis..that Atlantis wouldn't either A) vaporize or banish whoever carried the weapon or B) just vaporize the weapon?

Remember...if the Asgard had tech to detect enemy signatures...then the Atlantians might have it too. It would cause more trouble then help.

And about bringing home wraith weapons...it's different then in SG-1. In SG-1 the enemy already KNEW where earth was..so bringing back a weapon with a tracer on it wouldn't matter really.
But in SGA...bringing home a wraith weapon could mean SHOWING the wrath exactly where atlantis is.

Spoiler for episode Home

Well i hope they gonna bring some Wraith tech to Earth in the episode HOME>

aschen
August 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Because zats are for sissies.

Mio
August 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM

No Zats? Why?

The Ancients left for Pegasus long before the gou'ald became a threat. 2-3 million years, I'd guess.

Mio
August 10th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Yep, we have seen Orca. It didnt react to Tealc because of the symbionte
We don't know that. With the new time tables given to us, It's likely to assume that it didn't react to him because one of two possible reasons:

A) Jaffa were genetically modified by the gou'ald to need a symbiote when Puberty arrises. It is possible that this changes their brain chemistry so much that the ancient device won't open for him.

B) He doesn't have the Ancient Activation gene.

Calicto
August 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM
The Ancients left for Pegasus long before the gou'ald became a threat. 2-3 million years, I'd guess.

Yes. But that doesnt mean you just dont add stuff to your cities. They could add tech millions of years later.

---
Also, I believe that I am correct. (We all do).

They dont know what's on the otherside. They could meet the Furlings on the other sides and the Furlings could have been uber ANTI-GOA'ULD. Then, they would have been screwed.

Lord Zedd
October 31st, 2004, 10:28 AM
SPOILER FOR ATLANTIS

Hi I don't know if this has been asked but I have seen the 7th episode of Stargate Atlantis and I noticed that they haven't used any staffweapons or zat guns in the Atlantis episodes.My question is do they have zats and staffweapons with them in the Atlantis serie.It would be convient if they had some.Why don't they use them?By now the armory in the SGC should have plenty of zats and staffweapons

MartoufMarty
October 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM
I don't believe that they've brought any with them.

They'll probably end up finding their own fancy weapon somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy.

Erik Pasternak
October 31st, 2004, 10:36 AM
Well, if your curious, there is some info in this (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=1674) thread (yeah, I know it's old). But basically, I would assume that TPTB don't want to confuse Atlantis viewers who have never seen SG-1 by introducing things that have been established in Sg-1 but would need a lot of explination in Atlantis.

Lord Zedd
October 31st, 2004, 10:36 AM
still it would be convient if they had some zats and staffweapons too too parlyse a Wraith or blast him.

MartoufMarty
October 31st, 2004, 10:40 AM
still it would be convient if they had some zats and staffweapons too too parlyse a Wraith or blast him.
Who says that they would actually work?

Erik Pasternak
October 31st, 2004, 10:42 AM
Yeah, they'd probably just regenerate.

Major Fischer
October 31st, 2004, 10:44 AM
There are a number of valid reasons for not bringing zats or staff weapons. In sort...

-Gunsmithing. The marines likely brought along weapons experts who can repair and maintain earth weapons while if the zat gets broken it's a lot less clear that they can be repaired.

-Training. The marines are trained to use earth weapons. They are not trianed for fighting with a Staff weapon.

-Effectiveness. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it's the appropriate weapon. While earth weapons have drawbacks, ammunition supplies being a major one, Zats and Staff weapons are designed as tools of terror and rulership, and not nessecarily effective combat weapons.

Just because Teal'c can do neat and amazing things with a staff weapon doesn't mean Private Smith or Lance Corporal Jones can.

Lord Zedd
October 31st, 2004, 10:45 AM
They should try it out.I think it will work.I mean you can also kill the Wraith with P90's or grenades and you can stunn them like they did with Steve.Perhaps they will bring some back to Atlantis when they make contact with Earth again and than they can find out.

MartoufMarty
October 31st, 2004, 10:48 AM
Just because Teal'c can do neat and amazing things with a staff weapon doesn't mean Private Smith or Lance Corporal Jones can.

Private Smith: "Hmm... How do you work this thing?"

*squeezes really hard*

*zat goes off twice*

Private Smith: "...Jones?... Oops..."

Major Fischer
October 31st, 2004, 10:48 AM
They should try it out.I think it will work.I mean you can also kill the Wraith with P90's or grenades and you can stunn them like they did with Steve.Perhaps they will bring some back to Atlantis when they make contact with Earth again and than they can find out.

That assumes a lot about Wraith physiology, not to mention that when they were packing the pallots to go to Atlantis they didn't know about the Wraith.

Mio
October 31st, 2004, 11:15 AM
Staff weapons suck anyway. Teal'c doesn't even use them as often anymore.

Janus
October 31st, 2004, 11:20 AM

Maybe they would more damage then a bullet.
But the only way we'll know that for sure is to try it.

Lord Zedd
October 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM
There are a number of valid reasons for not bringing zats or staff weapons. In sort...

-Gunsmithing. The marines likely brought along weapons experts who can repair and maintain earth weapons while if the zat gets broken it's a lot less clear that they can be repaired.

-Training. The marines are trained to use earth weapons. They are not trianed for fighting with a Staff weapon.

-Effectiveness. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it's the appropriate weapon. While earth weapons have drawbacks, ammunition supplies being a major one, Zats and Staff weapons are designed as tools of terror and rulership, and not nessecarily effective combat weapons.

you got a point in there.We have a saying here called: with a mouth full of teeth It means that you're right and I can't argue any further. Still don't you think they'll meet other species except the Wraith in the Pegasus galaxy?

Mr Prophet
October 31st, 2004, 11:26 AM

The staff I'll give you, but zats? Come on, we're talking about the Swiss Army knife of the stars! :D It stuns, it kills, it disintegrates; it picks locks!

Janus
October 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM
you got a point in there.We have a saying here called: with a mouth full of teeth It means that you're right and I can't argue any further. Still don't you think they'll meet other species except the Wraith in the Pegasus galaxy?

Well, who else is there to meet ?
The Wraith had wiped out all life in the Pegasus galaxy before the Ancients got there.
Any new life would have to have been seeded by them.
All the Ancients seeded were humans.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 31st, 2004, 01:36 PM
Well, who else is there to meet?
furlings? (please say yes, please say yes.) :D

Gothann
October 31st, 2004, 05:45 PM
furlings? (please say yes, please say yes.) :D
Oh My GOD, YES!!!!
FURLINGS!!!!

We need Furlings in the series, an invasion would be fun.
Anywhoo, I'm sure there's more species than Humans, Ancients and Wraith in the Pegasus galaxy, though they migh be VERY hard to find.

As for Zats and Staffweapons... Let's keep signature weaponry to each specific series. It's not like Zats have as much effectiveness as the Wraith stunners anyway: A Zat blast can immobilize someone (human) for a few seconds (minutes, maybe), but a Wraith stunner can render someone completely numb with one well placed shot (face).
Now let's compare with Wraith: it took TWO Wraith stunner blasts point-blank to stun a weakened Steve. Imagine how two Zat shocks would affect a Wraith: nearly no effect. You'd have to keep shooting at the Wraith for a few minutes for him to hit the ground.

SaberBlade
November 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM
i would have thought they would have brought a few zats.

i think that with their regeneration powers they may be able to recover from a staff blast or even a shot from a zap but i think that it would be worth trying to see if they could disintergrate the wraith with a third shot. they may be able to resist 2 shots but maybe not a third and i think that it would be something worth trying out.

i think that they may be able to kill wraith with zats or staff weapons. i think that if they are able to resist any type of attack they would be pretty much unbeatable and i couldn't see the PTB's creating an undefeatable enemy

Major Fischer
November 1st, 2004, 05:43 AM
i think that with their regeneration powers they may be able to recover from a staff blast or even a shot from a zap but i think that it would be worth trying to see if they could disintergrate the wraith with a third shot. they may be able to resist 2 shots but maybe not a third and i think that it would be something worth trying out.

TPTB are trying to pretend they never said anything about the third shot. You'll notice it hasn't been used in a LONG time.

Mr Prophet
November 1st, 2004, 09:58 AM
It's not like Zats have as much effectiveness as the Wraith stunners anyway: A Zat blast can immobilize someone (human) for a few seconds (minutes, maybe), but a Wraith stunner can render someone completely numb with one well placed shot (face).

A zat blast renders a person as incapacitated as is necessary for as long as is needed. I suspect that we will come to see that the Wraith stunner does exactly the same. ;)

Erik Pasternak
November 1st, 2004, 12:44 PM
TPTB are trying to pretend they never said anything about the third shot. You'll notice it hasn't been used in a LONG time.
Yep. Remember the joke in "Wormhole X-Treme?"

Gothann
November 1st, 2004, 04:04 PM
A zat blast renders a person as incapacitated as is necessary for as long as is needed. I suspect that we will come to see that the Wraith stunner does exactly the same. ;)
Yes, the Stunner might become the new form of Zat, but it looks extremely bulky, moreso than a P90.

That might be a problem for portability, but I'm also guessing that they won't be using the stunners much, especially when they saw how it barely affects weakened and famished wraith (poor old Steve was still quite resiliant). A fully rejuvenated Wraith MUST be impossible to stun with their own stunners, one-on-one.

AsgardCarnage
November 2nd, 2004, 06:04 AM
dont forget we still have a whole ancient city to explore, they have weapons the glowly jellyfish of doom comes to mind. so they might have a stunner of their own. plenty of room to introduce atlantis specific weapons instead of having to pay royalties to who ever thought of the zats.

Lord Zedd
November 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
Yep. Remember the joke in "Wormhole X-Treme?"
yes I remember.The 3rd shot kills :D and those weird looking aliens :D

Gothann
November 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Besides, Atlantis is much more prone to having its own stolen weaponry ^_^

AND, Spoilers (highlight below)
When they go and try to capture a Wraith (ep 105, Suspicion) they use Tazers instead of Zats... That would imply that they DON'T have stun-weaponry from SG-1

Calicto
November 3rd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Rule 1: Never bring hostile Goa'uld weapon into unknown territory.

The Goa'uld were dominant in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Belief 1: Ancients are powerful. They could have Goa'uld weapon sensing alarms.

If alarms go off, you could jeopardize your chance of securing Atlantis.

People, JUST THINK! It's not that hard. Use common sense. I wouldnt bring Zats and Staff weapons into unknown Ancient territory.

bwrvt94
November 21st, 2004, 02:04 PM
Hi Everyone.... I haven't seen the first 2 episodes of Atlantis but why haven't they brought some zats and staff weapons????? Would they not be as usefull as a p90??? :S

Thanks

dfin25
November 21st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Probably because TPTB want to differentiate the shows.

Wass
November 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM
The reason for that as far as I can tell is TPTB wanted to keep SG-1 and Atlantis separate shows so no cross over of any alien tech or people from two shows.

bwrvt94
November 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM
They had to of taken weapons why would they not take these superior ones. There has to be a reason beside the producers etc. there has to be a logical reason in the shows perspective.

Hatcheter
November 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM
There's two explanations:

Reason A: Production Theory
The producers wanted to help distinguish this show from SG-1, so they didn't want to include two of the signature devices from it.

Reason B: Story Theory
I. Staff weapons are never used by SGC personel, except for Teal'c, who is more familiar with them. Zats also only see limited use, and what they do have are probably used on a first come, first serve basis. For example, Daniel Jackson seems to alternate between a 9mm pistol and a Zat, with no discernable pattern (expect what's useful for the particular episode;)).

II. What Goa'uld weapons the SGC does obtain are shipped to the rebel Jaffa, who are in constant need of additional weaponry. If Earth weapons are good enough for them, they're good enough for the Pegasus Galaxy, as well.

Kanten
November 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, I would think on an expedition like this, it would be more reliable to use weapons that they've been heavily trained to use. Some of the members of the Atlantis expedition didn't even know alien weaponry existed before they got security clearance to go. Perhaps down the line they may get to use a few Wraith stunners if the need and opportunity arises in a situation, that should be fun to see.

Crazedwraith
November 21st, 2004, 03:13 PM
1) Because Staff weapons are rubbish unergonomical peices of trash.

2) Because they TPTB don't wont to confuse the poor simpleminded viewers.

9-Chevron
November 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM

The producers wanted to help distinguish this show from SG-1, so they didn't want to include two of the signature devices from it.

I. Staff weapons are never used by SGC personel, except for Teal'c, who is more familiar with them. Zats also only see limited use, and what they do have are probably used on a first come, first serve basis. For example, Daniel Jackson seems to alternate between a 9mm pistol and a Zat, with no discernable pattern (expect what's useful for the particular episode;)).

II. What Goa'uld weapons the SGC does obtain are shipped to the rebel Jaffa, who are in constant need of additional weaponry. If Earth weapons are good enough for them, they're good enough for the Pegasus Galaxy, as well.

Reason C : Logic Theory
These weapons would be useless against the wraith :D

DarkQuee1
November 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Yes, I would think on an expedition like this, it would be more reliable to use weapons that they've been heavily trained to use. Some of the members of the Atlantis expedition didn't even know alien weaponry existed before they got security clearance to go. Perhaps down the line they may get to use a few Wraith stunners if the need and opportunity arises in a situation, that should be fun to see.

the problem is, if this is a one-way trip, they are going to run out of bullets quickly enough and then the guns are useless for anything except a club. The power sources in zats and staff weapons seem to last longer, so it would seem sensible that some should have been brought. Especially as it might be possible to re-power them, if they find power sources on Atlantis--but unlikely that anything they find on a base of the Ancients would help them to make new bullets.

TPTB need to give an explanation that works within the context of the story that is Atlantis.

J.

dfin25
November 21st, 2004, 06:04 PM
Another story reason might be that they didn't want to bring Goa'uld tech to Atlantis, for fear that it might be detected and trigger some kind of automated defense system.

Gothann
November 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM
the problem is, if this is a one-way trip, they are going to run out of bullets quickly enough and then the guns are useless for anything except a club. The power sources in zats and staff weapons seem to last longer, so it would seem sensible that some should have been brought. Especially as it might be possible to re-power them, if they find power sources on Atlantis--but unlikely that anything they find on a base of the Ancients would help them to make new bullets.

TPTB need to give an explanation that works within the context of the story that is Atlantis.

J.
Even at that, Staff Weapons are proven to have extremely bad aim, and Zats have limited unrenewable power sources.

It makes sense for them to use bullets instead. If you've seen the armory, you'd know that there are practically enough bullets in there to fight a quarter of the first Gulf War, if not more.

Atlantis1
November 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Also they had no way to know about the Wraith. Why should they suspect an enemy in the Pegasus galaxy as powerful as the Wraith. I doubt they would figure that if there were still Ancients at Atlantis that there would be cause to fear.

In Childhoods End, the weapons would have been powerless within the shield.

Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
November 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Another story reason might be that they didn't want to bring Goa'uld tech to Atlantis, for fear that it might be detected and trigger some kind of automated defense system.
Hmm, that makes sense. You would think that the Ancient would have something like the Tollan device that stopped all weapons passed through it. Maybe P90's are just to primitive.

aAnubiSs
November 22nd, 2004, 03:15 AM
Here's the Answer: The Wraith wouldn't recover from multiple staff blasts, and that's why they didn't bring them. The Wraiths regen. powers would be gone and the show would go *poof*

greytop
November 22nd, 2004, 05:49 AM

I agree with Hatcher, on his story theory. Another thing unless any of the expedition work at the SGC, they haven't seen a zat much less know how to operate one. The only ones, I know offhand who would know what a zat is, Elizabeth Wier and Rodney McKay. Ford may know about a zat being their weapons expert.

Major Fischer
November 22nd, 2004, 05:54 AM
Another story reason is that the Marine weapons specialists know how to repair and maintain the earth weapons. I'd hazard to guess zats are a bit hard to gunsmith.

Wass
November 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Also surly even the zats probably need to be reload after a while and where are the going to get the ammunition for it and they probably wouldn't know how to reload any way.

aAnubiSs
November 22nd, 2004, 08:50 AM
They should've asked the Serrakin for weapons.

Wass
November 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
What has surprised me so far in Atlantis is that they have found no hand held weapons what did they use to fight the wraith in face to face situations sticks. :p

aAnubiSs
November 22nd, 2004, 10:10 AM
That's an easy one: They didn't.

If you are outnumbered you don't leave your ship and fight. They probably only used the puddle jumpers to do hit and runs against ship yards and such stuff. They probably used all(?) five Puddle Jumpers at the same time too, to make sure that the ship yard got destroyed.

bwrvt94
November 23rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Everyones answers were good. But none of them answered my question. Zats and staff weapons should work on the wraith or they should atleast try.
:D
The reason that the producers wanted to separate the 2 shows is the simple way out. The viewers are smart tv watchers. They should have a resonable answer to this question.

TELL ME WHY!!!!!
Please

aAnubiSs
November 23rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Everyones answers were good. But none of them answered my question. Zats and staff weapons should work on the wraith or they should atleast try.
:D
The reason that the producers wanted to separate the 2 shows is the simple way out. The viewers are smart tv watchers. They should have a resonable answer to this question.

TELL ME WHY!!!!!
Please
You should try and read my reply:

"Here's the Answer: The Wraith wouldn't recover from multiple staff blasts, and that's why they didn't bring them. The Wraiths regen. powers would be gone and the show would go *poof*"

They didn't bring them because then the Wraiths regenerative powers would be useless, and the Wraith would just be another Goa'uld. It would have taken them 2 min to explain what a Zat/Staff is, they brought Nq generators and no one whined about that.

Also... When they're able to dial Earth they should ask for a dozen nukes or so, it's not like the US hasn't got any to spare. But they won't, because that would give the SGA an effective weapon if used together with the Puddle Jumpers. Imagine how effective 5 PJ's delivering nukes to Hive ships could be. It'd take a week to destroy all of the 20 Hive ships in their quadrant of Pegasus.

kodamawu
November 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
personally i just think that SGC doesnt have a plethora of the goa'uld weapons, so they only gave the SGA crew earth weapons, cus i mean, ud probably see more usage of the zats and staffs if the SGC had enough of them to go around.

aAnubiSs
November 24th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Why wouldn't the SGC collect Zats and Staffs?

For example:

With enough Staffs one could make a circle of them and use them to clean the area infront of the gate if there are enemy Jaffa there. Imagine having 50 Staffs firing through the gate :) Upgrades, Sacrifice... Many episodes where that would be nice :)

Wass
November 24th, 2004, 04:27 AM
One thing that puzzles me is why did they not ask the Toka’ra for help in developing a zat/staffs style weapon for earth or even the asgard.

kodamawu
November 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM

For example:

With enough Staffs one could make a circle of them and use them to clean the area infront of the gate if there are enemy Jaffa there. Imagine having 50 Staffs firing through the gate :) Upgrades, Sacrifice... Many episodes where that would be nice :)
still, when they're not producing them themselves, it makes supplies limited.

David85
November 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM
A Zat would probably kill a Wraith, but they could just change that.

The reason I heard was because of legal things, same reason why Hammond, Teal'c and Sam are not in the first episode.

aAnubiSs
November 24th, 2004, 09:42 AM
A Zat would probably kill a Wraith, but they could just change that.

The reason I heard was because of legal things, same reason why Hammond, Teal'c and Sam are not in the first episode.
Staffs were in the movie.

aAnubiSs
November 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM
still, when they're not producing them themselves, it makes supplies limited.
And what good does it do having one million of them just sitting in the closet waiting to be used. Send them to Atlantis and let them be free!

Mr Prophet
November 24th, 2004, 10:02 AM

For example:

What if there's someone - anyone - on the far side of the Gate that you don't want to cook? Moreover, in Upgrades at least the weapons posts were set off to the sides so that fire directly through the Gate wouldn't have hit them.

aAnubiSs
November 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Well some good computer programming and engineering would allow one to move the staffs and therefore firing in a 120 degree angle or something like that.

And the not killing someone... Well I didn't say it was perfect.

When we have a powerful enough particle accelerator or a laser(does laser pass through the event horizon?) with a good targetting system then we'll be able to target individuals.

TheWarrior
November 25th, 2004, 05:25 AM
It looks like the SGA teams won't need to have Zats as from the new images it looks like they could use the Wraith stunner as a Zat type weapon as they know it will work on the Wraith themselves.

aAnubiSs
November 25th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Yeah but zats could be useful againt humans.

TheWarrior
November 25th, 2004, 06:59 AM
so can the Wraith Stunner.

Wass
November 25th, 2004, 07:13 AM
I agree with TheWarrior wraith stunners are perfect replament for the zats.

aAnubiSs
November 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Coming to a planet with Wraith weapons might not be the perfect "we come in peace"-signal.

TheWarrior
November 25th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Coming to a planet with Wraith weapons might not be the perfect "we come in peace"-signal.

Nor does any type of weapon ;)

Wass
November 25th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Well from what I have seen from the episodes so far they never take the wraith stunners off world and there weapon of choice is P-90.

David85
November 25th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Don't the Wraith guns have trackers in them?

aAnubiSs
November 25th, 2004, 08:21 AM
We haven't been told. However I dont think so, since bringing a Stunner to Hoff wouldn't been the smartest thing to do in that case :)

rmbeast
February 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I have not been on Gateworld for a while so don't get mad if this was already posted.

This might be a spoiler so I wrapped it in a spoiler thing just to be sure.

Why didn't the Atlantis crew bring Zats with them it would have been the smart thing to do since they knew that they might be stuck there forever. They would have as reliable accurate and deadly weapon that would never run out of ammo.
And since i'm on the subject why didn't a the Tok'ra come with them i'm sure that they would have been a big help as far as helping them to figure out how the Ancient tech works.

aAnubiSs
February 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Search!

Keffler
February 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
The Atlantis Team seem to have only brought Earth Tech except for the generators. A foolish move in my opinion if you think about all the cool weapons we have discovered in the last 7/8 years.

As for the Tokra. We are not on the best of terms with them at the moment. Also there numbers are dwindling, i doubt they would want to risk another agent if there is a possible of never coming back. If we finaly establish a link between MW and Pegasus im sure they will be more than happy to join us.

Gaterholic
February 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure, but the real reason might be legallity. The new show might not have the rights to those things. I know it seems silly, but the world of legal red tape is quite thick.

Qasim
February 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure, but the real reason might be legallity. The new show might not have the rights to those things. I know it seems silly, but the world of legal red tape is quite thick.
but there both done by mgm

Gaterholic
February 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Yea, you'd think that would pull out all the stops.
But there are many examples of where it seems like there should be no legal problem, but there is.

Like that bad Avengers cartoon. couldnt use Cap America. All made by marvel...
there are others.

Probably if the show really looks set, and if there is a legal thing, they'll settle it and bring in the zats

Qasim
February 8th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Maybe the team intended to make ancient weapons

also they never expected to meet the wraith

zahncrelnik
February 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM
maybe they have some rules we don't know about,
kind of like Trek's Prime Directive???
So, they can't bring all kinds of technology everywhere they go?

Or they don't want to reveal too much of what/who they know...

V-MAN
February 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Cos they are retarded

Shivan
February 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing..... Why the heck weren't they given zats?

Qasim
February 8th, 2005, 07:32 AM
maybe they have some rules we don't know about,
kind of like Trek's Prime Directive???
So, they can't bring all kinds of technology everywhere they go?

Or they don't want to reveal too much of what/who they know...
that is not the case sg1 are always keen to get and use alien technology for their own purposes

zahncrelnik
February 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
that is not the case sg1 are always keen to get and use alien technology for their own purposes

That would be SG-1, but we are talking about SG-Atlantis, which
may be operating on different rules for a reason not yet explained
in the story...

Qasim
February 9th, 2005, 06:29 AM
That would be SG-1, but we are talking about SG-Atlantis, which
may be operating on different rules for a reason not yet explained
in the story...
when will people realise that atlantis is based on sg1 they dont just go off do their own thing which it totally and utterly not related to sg1

Daniel's_twin
May 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Ok, the Atlantis expedition obviously forsaw some kind of danger might be in the Pegasus Galaxy, that's why they brought the guns. But I have a question, wouldn't it have been prudent to bring some zats or something with an unlimited power source whereas they would have a limited number of bullets for their P-90's and such. The SGC could easily get zat guns (if they don't already have enough) and at the very least give the Atlantis team a dozen or so. Anyone have any theories as to why they wouldn't other than TPTB didn't want Atlantis to be too similar to SG-1? :cool:

Hatcheter
May 4th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Hatcheter’s “not another zats thread” standard reply form:

In the world of Stargate, there are two very plausible reasons why they didn’t take zats:
Reliability Zats are alien weapons, and Earth has not yet shown the ability to reproduce or even understand their functionality. No military unit would use weapons they are unable to maintain or repair. They would use the weapons they are familiar with, that they can repair or reconstruct as needed.

Availability When the Atlantis expedition left, the Milky Way was still embroiled in the Jaffa Rebellion. The SGC would be funneling all recovered weapons to the rebel Jaffa, maybe keeping a small handful for research or supplemental equipment.

Ultimately, TPTB wanted to separate the two shows, and limiting the rossover of alien stuff created in SG-1 was one of the biggest ways to do that. We got naquadah reactors, so we had to give up the zats.

And before you talk about ammunition, note that they brought a small rmory’s worth of weaponry with them (as seen in ‘The Storm’). There’s no way the troops could have carried all that on them, they must have had extra weapons on the pallets, or perhaps loaded on the MALPs.

Doing a little googling, I found that a P90’s 5.7 x 28mm cartridge weighs six grams. Fifty pounds of P90 ammo (easily moved on a pallet or hand cart) would equal almost 4000 rounds.

On top of this, bullets are fairly simple to manufacture, with the right equipment. The expedition has already found two civilizations capable of producing bullets, and there are probably a few more out there, as well.

hallmjo
May 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I agree that Earth doesn't use nearly enough Alien Tech...machines guns should go, or atleast they should use 25% alien weaponry.

blueguy w/thehand
May 4th, 2005, 02:38 PM
wouldn't there be ancient hand guns somewhere or something.

Rogue5
May 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I was watching SGA re-runs on Sci-Fi channel and I just thought of something. Maybe someone can help me out with a credible explanation of this. When the Atlantis team left Earth for Atlantis....

..... why didn't they bring any Zat guns or Staff weapons with them? They brought all the heavy artillery but no Zats or Staff weapons? Come to think of it, in Seige Part I and II, when they reconnect with Earth and they brought the rail guns to defend Atlantis, knowing that it was going to be under attack etc... did no-one think to bring Zats or Staff weapons?

why, why why? Maybe they are hiding them in Season 2, but one would think that if they are going to be facing a technologically advanced enemy, you would want to bring your most advanced weapons? I know that the rail guns would be more powerful and would be whats needed to knock out enemy ships, but they surely would have thought that if the enemy breached their defenses and it ended up going hand to hand... zats and staff weapons might at least be useful?

Any thoughts? :)

Anubis345
May 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM
yeah i agee i was looking forward for the zats to be seen bu then there were none so i hope they bring them through into season two when they reconnect with earth that would be cool and who knows maybe that would kill the wraith easier

grendelsbayne
May 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
The only zats they have are those captured from the enemy, which translates to they don't have very many, and it would've been logical to assume that the SG teams out of Cheyenne Mountain would need them much more since they visit new worlds regularly AND have to fight replicators and system lords and various other assorted things, whereas the Atlantis mission was mainly supposed to be exploring the technology in the city itself, not the pegasus galaxy in general. Of course when they found out they had an imperative to find a new power source, their mission had to change, but that was only after they left Earth.

I also wouldn't expect them to bring many to use against the wraith, for a number of reasons:

1) They seem to have got their own supply captured wraith stunners already, which, being designed by the wraith, would be more equipped to take them down than a zat anyway.

2) The SG teams still need the zats, b/c they continually require the flexibility of shooting first and asking questions later (like interrogating people). The Atlantis mission doesn't need as much in the asking questions department, they can usually go straight for the kill.

3) In regards to the staff weapons, you'll recall the demonstration in (what I believe was the episode titled) "The Warrior" showing the difference between a staff blast and a P-90 burst. As Jack said, the Staff is a weapon of intimidation to make your enemies afraid. The P-90 is designed to kill. It's the latter one you want to take into a war, not the former.

Darkhawk
May 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Better question why didnt they bring glidestaff weapons?
I mean come on they are designed for battle against ship and ground they would be good to shot down darts ;o

or TAK's those nice automatic balls :3

col_oatmeal
May 6th, 2005, 08:44 PM
In the seth episode they get a hugh supply of zats about 20 plus now with the free jaffa nation as an ally we have all of the zats we need. But the zats give a energy off for all we know this will feed the wraith. That would be unfortunate. but we have no real idea (that i know of) why they didn't bring zats.

grendelsbayne
May 6th, 2005, 08:49 PM
In the seth episode they get a hugh supply of zats about 20 plus now with the free jaffa nation as an ally we have all of the zats we need.

20 isn't very many and the Jaffa will probably keep most of the weapons they capture to use against the remaining system lords.

col_oatmeal
May 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
They probably are going to set up a prfesional army so they would most likely have extra.And how did they first get them there must be a big plant that makes them or aomething.

grendelsbayne
May 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Relations among the Alliance haven't exactly been at their best lately, and we've yet to see the fallout from the Trust's symbiote poison scheme. Also, Earth really isn't in dire need of zats when P-90s are still great at killing things (even wraith, although they take more bullets than usual), so if they met any resistance, which I think they would, they wouldn't push their luck with the FJN. Not at this stage, anyway.

immhotep
May 7th, 2005, 03:26 AM
the only chance well get to see a zat/staff weapon is when tealc comes to atlantis in a crossover, maybe hell drop a few :D, they should of brung them anyway, i know TPTB wanted not to confuse mythologys but its stupid not to of brung them or other goauld weapons, supply is not a probley its never has been, if u want a zat u go to the armoury, i mean this in one episode we see the armoury and there are hundred of them + all the other ones at area 51 and alfa site, all the ones the jaffa can get( they each have like 50 of them) so thats not a problem, they more common than the p-90 thats for sure,the p-90 been around for what 20years, the zat has been around 5000+ years, alot more have been lost/roped and stolen im sure than we could ever need. reason to take to atlantis:
*place full of scinetists, who arnt military type people ( hate blood yadayadayada), doesnt kill so can go up and win but still not feel bad.
*easy to carry,use, store
*no ammo
*very effective weapon against anything bar replcators( even the glowy bug things)
*experience not needed, squeese handle point squeese again, p-90 weird weapon
*cool
they should of taken them and not taking them was plain stupid, TPTB let the zat have an apperence, on the daedalus crew would be fine, or in the crossover a comparison of the stunner and zat, glider cannon and rail gun, p-90 and staff ( wait theat bin done), just lets us see the favorate thunder electric blast gun thign be in atlantis. :D

Oreo
May 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM
The number one reason why there will never be zats in Atlantis. Three shoots make the person desinerate, that would be way too easy a weapon to use against the wraith.

immhotep
May 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM
they discontued that disintigration thing about 30seconds after they began it, thats not a reason.

Rogue5
May 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM
... i know TPTB wanted not to confuse mythologys but its stupid not to of brung them or other goauld weapons ...

I agree with you. Even though the SG teams have access to Zats, they still still use the P90's primarily. I think that probably was a decision of TPTB not to confuse mythologies. The Tauri use their tried and trusted weapons, the Jaffa use their own etc etc.

However, the reason why I started this thread was that I figured that it might have been interesting to see if a Zat did have any effect on the Wraith. I agree with what's written below ...

But the zats give a energy off for all we know this will feed the wraith. That would be unfortunate.

... it would be most unfortunate if the Wraith did end up feeding off of the energy weapons, but apart from the replicators it seems to work in the intended way on all the other races they've encountered (again not counting the energy based lifeforms).

I just think its a bit silly that they couldn't have bought even one in, particularly during the Seige for example, just to see what kind of impact it would have had on a wraith warrior. :)

The Maneuver
May 7th, 2005, 10:00 PM
But the zats give a energy off for all we know this will feed the wraith. That would be unfortunate.

If the Wraith did feed off energy weapons, wouldn't they feed off their own weapons?

Hatcheter
May 8th, 2005, 12:19 AM
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

What is this, zats thread #178253?

Hatcheter’s “not another zats thread” standard reply form:

In the world of Stargate, there are two very plausible reasons why they didn’t take zats:

Reliability Zats are alien weapons, and Earth has not yet shown the ability to reproduce or even understand their functionality. No military unit would use weapons they are unable to maintain or repair. They would use the weapons they are familiar with, that they can repair or reconstruct as needed.

Availability When the Atlantis expedition left, the Milky Way was still embroiled in the Jaffa Rebellion. The SGC would be funneling all recovered weapons to the rebel Jaffa, keeping very few for research or supplemental equipment.

Ultimately, TPTB wanted to separate the two shows, and limiting the crossover of alien stuff created in SG-1 was one of the biggest ways to do that. We got naquadah reactors, so we had to give up the zats.

And before you talk about ammunition, note that they brought a small armory’s worth of weaponry with them (as seen in ‘The Storm’). There’s no way the troops could have carried all that on them, they must have had extra weapons on the pallets, or perhaps loaded on the MALPs.

Doing a little googling, I found that a P90’s 5.7 x 28mm cartridge weighs six grams. Fifty pounds of P90 ammo (easily moved on a pallet or hand cart) would equal almost 4000 rounds.

On top of this, bullets are fairly simple to manufacture, with the right equipment. The expedition has already found two civilizations capable of producing bullets, and there are probably a few more out there, as well.

immhotep
May 8th, 2005, 07:57 AM

when have we seen a zat gun break down? they dont need to repair them, they donr break down and they dont run out of ammo.

Availability When the Atlantis expedition left, the Milky Way was still embroiled in the Jaffa Rebellion. The SGC would be funneling all recovered weapons to the rebel Jaffa, keeping very few for research or supplemental equipment.

100 odd people took zats if we took 200 zats wed have enough for ages, also we have 200 zats or the ability to get them, just got to any planet the trust sent the poison to and collect the zats there! or after any battle.

BackStageJim
May 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Per the actors both ZATS and Staff weapons are hard to work with and expensive to make/replace. Notice DJ carries a gun, since MS has broken a few of them. Teal'c has to have them, but CJ has broken about 12 staff weapons since S1.

ZAT Spoiler

Froms a talk with MS, the ZAT is powered by compression to open and close but often misfires. The charge when fired, also has to be reset. The gun makes a noise to allow sound editting to sync the 'ZAT' sound and reaction for the shot actor. His one real problem is that the viewer never gets to see the gun perform at its best, since the shot is so fast. In a word ... a waste of a nice prop.

grendelsbayne
May 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
when have we seen a zat gun break down? they dont need to repair them, they donr break down and they dont run out of ammo.

Just because we haven't seen them break down:
A) Doesn't mean they haven't broken down.
and B) Doesn't mean they can't break down.

Also, we haven't seen them run out of ammo, but for all we've seen on the show, they could require extensive recharging.

Finally, any gun, no matter how well designed, can be damaged with improper handling or in combat, so repair possibilities are ALWAYS a consideration.

NotAllowedToNameAnything.Ever.
May 9th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I would love to see them try a zat on a wraith and it not work just to end this zat discussion. The zats look cool and all, but the three shot concept is bad sci fi at best. Besides forget the ghould weapons. Bring on the ancient toys.

immhotep
May 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM
thing is we will see a zat, if they do a crossover, tealc will have a zat with him and we can all see it then. thats the end of it.

Spimman
May 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
If it is numbers we are worried about, I imagine we have taken our fair share of weapons over the years...how many enemy Jaffa have we killed? I would say if we were trying, we could easily have a few thousand Zats by now...more if we found one stock pile.

immhotep
May 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
we can literally get any amount of zat we could possible require,they have enough so that if the SGC come under attack everyone on base has one, enough to sell jaffa them/arm jaffa with them, we wont run out if we sent a few dozen to atlantis, we lose a few dozen everytime sg-1 team up with the jaffa and they say lets surrender and the get their gear nicked!

May 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Its a global expidetion right? Which means they had to atleast follow a few earth laws. Zats would be illegal as far as the geniva convention goes since they or deisigned to kill on to shots. Guns in general or legal but certain types of ammo or not. (such as you cant make bullets out of glass or matrials that wouldn't show up an x ray making them hard to find and remove. Or any type of bullet designed to deal more damage then really nessicary to injure a human.) Sort of the same reason earth didnt try the gene therapy to give people the ancient gene. (not legal here on earth.)

Weir had to balance a lot as far as deffrient contries to get her team together so she had to proably also juggle around earth laws and relations.

Just my thought on it. Though I still say it will proably work on ares boch better then it would a wraith.

pyao
May 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Would zats have any effect on the wraith at all?
I mean repeated hit over time would give someone somewhat of a resistance to it. O'neill was shot by tanis at the end of season 4 of sg-1 and he was not stunned (although he was in a lot of pain) and the wraith have a fast healing ability.

Staff weapons would be hard to use. It is not accurate, has a limited effective range and is not good at hitting fast moving objects. Training time for its proper use will also be a factor.

May 13th, 2005, 05:43 AM
yes it would seem that one can build up an immuinty to zats but for the most part zats still kill after two shots. But if ares boch could find away to be immuine to them then I am sure the wraith could.

Hatcheter
May 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM
If it is numbers we are worried about, I imagine we have taken our fair share of weapons over the years...how many enemy Jaffa have we killed? I would say if we were trying, we could easily have a few thousand Zats by now...more if we found one stock pile.

How many of those Jaffa were killed on battlefields that, after the action ended, the Jaffa still controlled? Other than small squad actions on remote worlds, most fights haven't left the SGC with much opportunity to go in and scavenge the battlefield.

col_oatmeal
May 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM
If the Wraith did feed off energy weapons, wouldn't they feed off their own weapons?

Well their stun guns and zats are completely different. Zats use naquadrah, While stun guns look like they use completely different energy sources.

Ganjaman
May 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
true but at the end of the day energy is energy. the zats may be powered by naquadah but their shot is like an electric bolt. The stun guns seem to use an impact force (can see it moving through air) which as well as phsyical impact does somethign else. One thing the zats could be good for is their ability to vaporise objects, this would ensure the wriath, when dead, stay dead.

Commander Aegir
May 15th, 2005, 12:10 PM
it's simply they forgot.

Stricken
May 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Another reason was that the writes + directors + producrers (who ever it was) wanted the show Stargate Atlantis and Sg-1 to be seperate in a way with afew cross overs, the zats were not part of this although it raises the point that a zat could easily get rid of a wraith with three shots, also waht is always said Earth just doesnt have enough and any sapr probalbly go to the Jaffa rebellion

MartoufMarty
May 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Atlantis is a new show. New gate, new DHD, new actors, new weapons. Fresh start :)

Spimman
May 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM
wouldn't there be ancient hand guns somewhere or something. It doesn't appear the ancients every came within close enough contact to need handguns, but you would think they still might have a had a few. If we merge our airplane technology with alien tech...why not our weapons...hmmmm :eek:

Darkdreams
May 18th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I am sure that they brought the means to set up bullet manufacturing plant of facility, most ingred. would be available to make the gun powder as well as shell casings. besides its a tv show I doubt SGA will ever run out of bullets.

Daniel's_twin
May 18th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I am sure that they brought the means to set up bullet manufacturing plant of facility, most ingred. would be available to make the gun powder as well as shell casings. besides its a tv show I doubt SGA will ever run out of bullets.

If there was any chance of that happening before, it's completely gone now since they can contact earth with the new ZPM. :cool:

tony
May 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
in SG-1 they have mised alien tech with earth tech in more than just flying crafts.. take the P90's in Prometheus Unbound. they have a stun ability aswell as the standerd firepower.. thats def. not earth tech (the stun option)