X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Word About Trolls

Howdy folks:

We've swept this morning's nuissance under the rug. You may all get back to your lives.

A quick word about trolls. The worst thing you can do is generate a thread, negative or positive, about a troll. When you do, you give them the fame that they are looking for. By no means draw attention to these people.

The best thing you can do is report the threads/posts OR alert one of us if you see a mod currently on-line. We can mobilize and get everything taken care of relatively quickly, as you may have noticed. An irritated or jealous visitor may be eager to get a half hour's worth of fame but we have no problem taking the needed time to do our job and dispose them. Quickly and quietly. As long as Darren and I are running the show, they are just wasting their time, because we love playing here.

Now I know there are many thousands of you, so I'm going to stick this one for a few days.

Good work, Cam. Good work, Shadow.

We love playing here too. Thank you!
    sigpic
    My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

It's also a good idea to remember that the mods aren't omnipotent (sorry David) and that they can't be online 24/7. Also, just because they're listed on GW as being online doesn't mean they are. Double-check to see when they were last active because the system can keep people logged in for up to an hour after they've "left."

Give the mods time to sort things out; even if a mod or three goes active they still have to find and delete each and every thread/post. It isn't an instantaneous thing, especially if there's a whole flood of stuff.

Still... makes you really appreciative of the fact that we HAVE mods, doesn't it? And when they become aware of a problem they're very quick to act. We're lucky to have them.

Comment

Give the Mods a chance, people were complaining because a whole 5 minutes had passed without anything being done.
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

trolls are, by definition, internet troublemakers

like going to the sam and jack ship thread and posting 'sam and daniel forever!!!!!!', or posting spam or posts deliberately meant to inflame and anger

Since a troll's main intention is to irritate, annoy and stir folks up, the best way to respond to them is simply to ignore them. Report the posts and move on.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I did post this earlier but it got removed in the post trouble clear out, it's a piece of advice I've posted on many a messageboard DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Anyone who's ever visited an unmoderated board and lived to tell the tale is either supremely grateful for the presense of the mods or they were one of the miserable toadlicking scumvermin who made the unmodded place an absolute hell for everyone.

I hate unmoderated boards and I hate the elitist attitude some unmodders have; that unwavering egoism that has them convinced they're perfect and godlike and can Do No Wrong. That sort tends to be in for a rude awakening once they hit Gateworld and discover that they aren't the center of the universe and they can't piss all over everything just because they feel like it.

Comment

I've never been on an unmoderated board but I do frequent a 'Self Moderated' board. When I say self moderated they do have modorators but they're in the background and only come out when someone presses what they call the "Yikes" button. Basically if you come across a posting that's breaks the House Rules (Is homophobic, racist, obscene, contains a four letter word or is generally offensive, trolling flaming blah blah blah) you can alert a Mod, these guys are full time 24/7 mods, the post will be hidden until it's been reviewed and then either put back if it doesn't break there house rules or perminantly removed. Seems to work ok

Comment

Interesting. How big was that board?

Comment

The BBC's DNA messageboard service I use the h2g2 part of it

Comment

Thank you for keeping a Troll-Free board. I had to keep a can of Troll Spray on hand at some boards I used to frequent.

My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        like going to the sam and jack ship thread and posting 'sam and daniel forever!!!!!!', or posting spam or posts deliberately meant to inflame and anger.
                        And to think thoes are the nice happy fun trolls! Scary stuff, them trolls.

Comment

i try to leave and take a vacation and look what happens great job everyone
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

oh man, i haven't been here in a few days.
                              i feel like i missed something good. what happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X