This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a rant on slamming characters

Yeah, I made a total idiot out of myself in a thread eariler today. You're probably gonna think "She's a little too obsessive to be a McKay fangirl."

Not true. Would have done it for any character getting slammed.

Look, slamming characters is just rude. You'll end up offending someone undoubtably. It's one of my biggest forum pet peeves. Why ruin other people's fun? *shakes head* Yeah, I'm a little impulsive when it comes to these things, but I'm a very defensive person. >.< That comes back to haunt me more than you know.

Anyway, back on subject. If you have a reason for not liking the character, don't slam them, for God's sake. Either don't comment or explain why.

I dunno. It's probably just me being me. I just hate when people hate on characters without reason (at least none cited).

~Lucia

PS: Yo, SCT. Sorry. Didn't mean to snap at you. Shoulda calmed down first.
    This is OTAKUDOM-
    I mean.... This is STARGATEDOM!

IMPORTANT! Lucia Tanaka will be AWOL for about 1-2 months due to school. See you soon!

And "Character X sucks because he just does" does not qualify as an explanation in my book.

Comment

Exactly. I don't think any SG characters "suck". It just takes time to figure them out. Taking them for first impression's value is a huge mistake. To like Sheppard, I had to put aside my first impression of him (I kinda thought he was a mighter-than-thou guy) but I learned to like him once I realized his additude was his 'defense mechanism' so to speak.

~Lucia
      This is OTAKUDOM-
      I mean.... This is STARGATEDOM!

IMPORTANT! Lucia Tanaka will be AWOL for about 1-2 months due to school. See you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucia Tanaka
        Look, slamming characters is just rude. You'll end up offending someone undoubtably. It's one of my biggest forum pet peeves.

Anyway, back on subject. If you have a reason for not liking the character, don't slam them, for God's sake. Either don't comment or explain why.

I dunno. It's probably just me being me. I just hate when people hate on characters without reason (at least none cited).
        It´s not just you. I have a problem with character-bashing, as well. And I´m not talking about someone saying they don´t like a character, because obviously everyone´s entitled to their opinion. Heck, I´ve expressed my concerns about both Weir and Teyla, but the thing that bugs me is when it turns into "xxxxxx sucks!" and other equally colorful and highly enlightening expressions.

Although in the case of Kavanaugh, I might actually make an exception.

And again with the ranting...
        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I have issues with certain characters and situations, but like Liv, I actually GIVE REASONS for why I don't like things. In fact, I've been known to go into excruciating detail about things I dislike and occasionally suggest ways of improvement (which do NOT involve the death of the contentious character). Saying someone or something sucks shows an extreme lack of thought in my book. Saying someone deserves to die- even if they're fictional- is just sad. And a little disturbing depending on the level of vehemence. And again, it shows a dismaying lack of thought. If you can't articulate WHY you dislike a character, maybe you should keep it to yourself. Or better yet, find a way to articulate your feelings.

Comment

Ditto. No argument there.

I don't mind if someone doesn't like a character and can explain or attempt objective/subjective reasons why, but the "so-and-so sucks" is just childish. Same goes for the "He/she/it isn't sexy, therefore they suck" or "I don't like her/him/it, therefore they suck" argument.

Like Lenny Bruce said, opinions are like a**es. Everybody's got one. (Actually, that's not exactly what he said, but you get the idea.)
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Yes, there are times when I see a post that is nothing but character bashing. But I see a lot more posts where the poster is making a genuine critique of a character they don't like, but are met by a barrage of posts from people telling them to lighten up, stop being so negative and stop bashing.

This is a discussion forum. If someone doesn't like something in the show they should feel comfortable to express that opinion here. We shouldn't force people to only ever have positive opinions. Or do you think we should?

What I find uncomfortable is the tendancy for people to start discussing not the opinion being expressed, but why that person SHOULDN'T have that opinion or SHOULDN'T be expressing that opinion on the forum.

If someone says something negative, whether they do so in an adult way or in an immature way, you should respond in the spirit of a grown up, adult discussion. Why do you think they're wrong? Why do you disagree? What examples can you give?

I don't think that anyone has the right to impose restrictions on how someone else expresses their opinions. As the saying goes, I may passionately oppose what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

That doesn't mean everything goes - as the other saying puts it, one person's right to swing their arm ends where another person's nose begins.

And if someone hit you in the nose, they'd definitely be in the wrong . That doesn't give you the right to punch them in the nose back. We don't live (thankfully) in an eye for an eye society. And I feel strongly that to have a forum that is fun to be in, we need to keep that in mind here too.
              sigpic

Comment

Free country, free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                  What he said.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

As someone once said you are not entitled to just "a opinion", you are entitled to your informed opinion. That means backing it up with something abit more substantial then 'just because'.

Comment

I think I've come to the conclusion that many people who can't explain why they hate a character really have problems with the way the show or the universe is structured in some major way that is examplified by that character.

The more you talk to them, the more you have the feeling that they would like a change that isn't just to the character, but to the entire universe, weather it be McKay, Sheppard, Weir, Teyla, or even O'Neill and Jackson.

They're prefectly welcome to not like the universe, but I really wish they'd express THOSE concerns, and not attacking characters. To me it feels like bashing characters is like trying to punch the actor in the face often. Especially when the argument devolves into physical looks, voice, or delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                        As someone once said you are not entitled to just "a opinion", you are entitled to your informed opinion. That means backing it up with something abit more substantial then 'just because'.
                        Well, they're wrong.

Comment

Not really... we don't have free speech anywhere on this planet that i know of. And in those places that do, it is because of hard won freedoms and responsible use of the priviledge.

There is a character (much loved by others) that I can't stand (although I did come close to actually liking him in one ep).

I am free to express my opinion that I think he's badly conceived written and that I downright don't like him because his eyes are too close together. (or whatever)

I don't feel the need to have to defend reasons, pretty much in the same way that I don't feelf the need to defend my reasons for not liking broad beans, liver or fried eggs.

Having said that, there is no reason for any discussion to end in a slanging match. If we're adults we should have learned how to discuss and debate without fighting. If we're not we shoud be learning.

I'm with Gip: I don't think we should be restricted to offering only positive opinions of eps, characters, storylines etc. I'd have to have left long ago if those were the rules.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Very true MC !
                            There's a huge difference between fun "ragging", and actual attacks on each other's POV .
                            We've all got our preferences and dislikes,and the fun part is discussion of the shows .
                            I don't think there's much wrong with doing that in a civilised fashion.
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Saying someone or something sucks shows an extreme lack of thought in my book. Saying someone deserves to die- even if they're fictional- is just sad. And a little disturbing depending on the level of vehemence.
                              Oh, I don't know... In the Wizard of Oz, I figured the Wicked Witch of the
                              West deserved to die. Might have been twisted as a little kid, but I
                              was pretty damn pleased when they melted her!

On the other hand, I guess it became a controversy at some point while
                              I was growing old, the idea that somebody always died or was near
                              death in fairy tales and such. Even Little Red Riding Hood -- who never
                              hurt anybody -- was eaten. Guess the hunter who saved her must have
                              had access to a sarcophagus!

There have been character deaths in fiction forever, no? And these are not
                              always the ones we tag as the villains of the piece. People die for no
                              good reason in RL, so why not on TV?

Don't see why Stargate has to be any different.

OzGirl

If by "fond" you mean droolworthy, hummable, coma-causing, breath-stealing, lustful, libidinous
                              appreciation of the First Hussy Magnitude for Jack & his splendid, dirty, sweaty, sun-kissed, lithe-fingered,
                              full-bottom-lipped, lickable-eared, agile-tongued, long-necked, silver-haired, gracefully moving body
                              in all its fantasmagorical glory, then--- yes. I am also "fond." -- OzGirl

Comment

Working...
                              X