This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superman Returns Plotholes!!

That film while it rocked and kicked some serious ass it did leave some unanswered questions like how did he get to krypton after it was discovered in the first place and others.........discuss...........
    I dunno what to put in here now..

I’m guessing that the ship that he returned in there at the start was the one that he arrived on Earth in as a child. Or that’s my guess anyway.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
      I’m guessing that the ship that he returned in there at the start was the one that he arrived on Earth in as a child. Or that’s my guess anyway.
      If you count the novelization as semi-canonical, Lonestar, you're right: the ship Clark traveled in was the same one that brought him to Earth. The only thing different is it's bigger (the crystaline ship grew bigger) in order to accomodate his adult body.

Comment

The whole movie was one big plothole.

Comment

Uh, I'm not sure if I missed something, but how the hell did he lift that huge landmass teeming with kryptonite, after just getting his ass kicked on it?

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
          Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
          Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

I thought the fact that the doctors at the end of the film could rip Superman's costume open so easily after it survived reentry and stuff was just so unrealistic.

Comment

I just sat back and enjoyed it
              Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky View Post
                Uh, I'm not sure if I missed something, but how the hell did he lift that huge landmass teeming with kryptonite, after just getting his ass kicked on it?
                Well, you could explain this one by saying that he went far enough into the earth mantle to start lifting that he was just beyond the effected zone of the K-rite. As he lifted the island he slowly started to get hit by hit as it was continually growing downward.

I thought it was strange that he struggled so much with the airplane in the beginning but was able to lift an island out of the earth with what looked like an easier task.

As for the ship. I thought it was just one that he made out of crystals at the fortress of solitude. If you look at the comics and such, the ship that brought him to earth was mechanical. Like an escape pod. If they would have kept the first 45 minutes of the movie in, we would probably know. Thats what the special edition DVD will be for.

what I didn't understand was the crystals. Lex says something to the effect that the crystals take on the structure of the materials around them. Thus the "ice" fortress. But it appeared that they only form into a rock-like substance when introduced to water. If they truly took on the properties of the material they come into contact with, wouldn't they had started growing when Lex touched it? Or when they came into contact with a piece of fabric? Or the grinding blade they were using to cut one? The tongs used to move the little piece to the model city? Or the island when that lady dropped them out of the helicopter? That was the major plot hole to me.

As for the son. I think we are going to see the start of Superboy here. But I think they will twist the story a little bit. It appears that he is not affected by K-rite and has the strength. One of Superboys falters in the comics, well the cloned superboy, was that he didn't have all the powers. Can't wait to see this one fold out!

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post

I thought it was strange that he struggled so much with the airplane in the beginning but was able to lift an island out of the earth with what looked like an easier task.

what I didn't understand was the crystals. Lex says something to the effect that the crystals take on the structure of the materials around them. Thus the "ice" fortress. But it appeared that they only form into a rock-like substance when introduced to water. If they truly took on the properties of the material they come into contact with, wouldn't they had started growing when Lex touched it? Or when they came into contact with a piece of fabric? Or the grinding blade they were using to cut one? The tongs used to move the little piece to the model city? Or the island when that lady dropped them out of the helicopter? That was the major plot hole to me.
                  The airplane was going incredibly fast when superman tried to stop it so the inertia or kinetic energy (or whatever the heck it's called. I failed anything to do with science okay!) made it much heavier than it actually was, whereas the island was sitting still.

The crystals only grew when they touched water so they couldn't grow just by touching fabric or what have you, they had to be immersed in water in order to start growing. Lex put the crystal in kryptonite so it would take on those properties and it also took on rock like properties because of the rock it landed in when it was shot into the ocean.

I wondered about his suit coming off so easily also but after watching the movie several times (I absolutely love it-so what?!) you can hear one of the doctor's say "I think I got it," like he figured out the trick to it or something and was able to release a hidden catch, or zipper or whatever and was able to pull the suit off.

As for being able to lift the kryptonite riddled island, I think it had more do with his determination and his other "human" qualities. People are capable of superhuman strength when the need arises and so Superman was capable of Super Superhuman strength. He also didn't think he would survive it either judging from the way he said goodbye to Lois.

I didn't think the new movie could compare to the old ones and so was reluctant to see it until my cousin made me. I'm so glad she did because now I'm am a big fan and can't wait for the sequels.
                  Andromeda Fate
                  Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
                  "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" - Teal'c
                  "Go suck a lemon!" - Carter
                  "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle
                  "I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!" - Supernatural

Comment

He also got a super dose of sunlight before he lifted the island. That gave him the strenght to do it.
                    There was some Kytonite still in him so by the time he hit the ground the poisen was effecting him. That is why the suit came off so easily. The suit is protected by an ora around superman.
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I agree with the movie being one big plot hole.....

Comment

Originally posted by mi4si View Post
                        I agree with the movie being one big plot hole.....
                        It still beat Superman IV.
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                          I just sat back and enjoyed it
                          Same here. IMO, it was one of the best films to come out all year.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think the ship is a plothole. Sure, we don't see exactly where it comes from but we know that he has a large base packed with alien technology and a full understanding of Kryptonian science. I'd just assume he'd built it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain View Post
                              I don't think the ship is a plothole. Sure, we don't see exactly where it comes from but we know that he has a large base packed with alien technology and a full understanding of Kryptonian science. I'd just assume he'd built it.
                              Nice assumption. Very probable too.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X