Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG-1 has stuffed up my church experience!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 has stuffed up my church experience!

as a good catholic, i went to the confirmation ceremony for my 12-year-old cousin last night. at the ceremony was the bishop. the bishop was holding a big vertical staff. then he started reading. and then we had to kneel to pray. and then i thought geez i'm prostrating to the prior with the staff as the prior is reading from the book of origin lol, and then then started the prayer "our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be... the ori!"

i'm catholic to i never thought of it that way
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Then you KNOW it's the Ori 'cause some guy gets up to leave and *BAM* ... plague.
      MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
      Spoiler:
      Snape kills Dumbledore
      Spoiler:
      Darth Vader is Luke's Father
      Spoiler:
      Rosebud is a sled
      Spoiler:
      Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
      Spoiler:
      The planet of the apes is actually Earth
      Spoiler:
      The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
      Spoiler:
      Clark Kent is Superman
      Spoiler:
      What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshNaranek
        as a good catholic, i went to the confirmation ceremony for my 12-year-old cousin last night. at the ceremony was the bishop. the bishop was holding a big vertical staff. then he started reading. and then we had to kneel to pray. and then i thought geez i'm prostrating to the prior with the staff as the prior is reading from the book of origin lol, and then then started the prayer "our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be... the ori!"
        Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
          Hallowed are the Ori.
          You know it's blasphemy for an unbeliever to say that!
          Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
          Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
          -Audioslave

Comment

To be fair, no-one forces you to stay in church for six hours... apart from parents when you're young. And it only feels like you've been there six hours, when in fact it's only been six minutes.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
            My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

Sg1 shows a great rendition of christianity. A true undiluted view of ill fated religious worship; its what broguht me to the show from the outset.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                Sg1 shows a great rendition of christianity. A true undiluted view of ill fated religious worship; its what broguht me to the show from the outset.
                Speaking as a Christian, I'd say SG-1 and Atlantis have done a good job of avoiding religious controversy. Same with real world politics like the war on terror and what not.

If they got into those topics, they'd have a hard time not chosing one side or the other, which would alienate a portion of the show's audience. Niether of which can afford to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                  Speaking as a Christian, I'd say SG-1 and Atlantis have done a good job of avoiding religious controversy. Same with real world politics like the war on terror and what not.

If they got into those topics, they'd have a hard time not chosing one side or the other, which would alienate a portion of the show's audience. Niether of which can afford to do so.
                  Actually I think they've done a good job at stirring up peoples faith! If you want to look at the last 10 years of Stargate, all it's talked about was people worshipping false gods and questioning they're beleifs to find true enlightenment. Quite subtle in my opinion, but still there none-the-less!

Imagine if you were a struggling Christian or Muslim or other faith. U watch ur Sci-Fi Friday and watch SG-1 destroy false gods and overcome adversity in the name of all that is good and true. You question urself and ur beliefs and start learning more about different religions. And through this u learn more about those different religions and apply those learnings to ur own beleif structure. Thus giving urself a more enlightened and full view of ur religion. IMO u can only fully appreciate ur religion and benefit from it's teachings if u can learn more about other opposing religions. See wat the other side is like, in order to better ur own side.

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Coutelier
                    To be fair, no-one forces you to stay in church for six hours... apart from parents when you're young. And it only feels like you've been there six hours, when in fact it's only been six minutes.
                    Yeah, but at least you've got chairs.
                    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bentley2003
                      Actually I think they've done a good job at stirring up peoples faith! If you want to look at the last 10 years of Stargate, all it's talked about was people worshipping false gods and questioning they're beleifs to find true enlightenment. Quite subtle in my opinion, but still there none-the-less!
                      The religious portrail we've seen from stargate's varied adversaries, and allies, has little resemblence to any major religion on Earth save budhism (which is spun in a positive light in the shows). Aside from the evolution aspect, I've never noticed anything that even comes close to commenting, up or down, on Christian, Jewish or Islamic beliefs.

Originally posted by bentley2003
                      Imagine if you were a struggling Christian or Muslim or other faith. U watch ur Sci-Fi Friday and watch SG-1 destroy false gods and overcome adversity in the name of all that is good and true. You question urself and ur beliefs and start learning more about different religions. And through this u learn more about those different religions and apply those learnings to ur own beleif structure. Thus giving urself a more enlightened and full view of ur religion. IMO u can only fully appreciate ur religion and benefit from it's teachings if u can learn more about other opposing religions. See wat the other side is like, in order to better ur own side.
                      I always find it ironic when people suggest studying other faiths to better oneself, that nearly every religion on Earth claims to be the one and only truth, and that all others are wrong. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Jehova's Whitness, Satanists, even Aithiests and Humanists all do this. Saying its ok to believe in something else is not the same as saying they're right in their beliefs. I'm all for freedom of religion, but that just means I think people have the right to be wrong.

Studying other religions in order to, if you'll pardon the very bad term, "know ones enemy," is another matter. That does make sense.

I like seeing controversial subjects like religion and politics in tv shows like 24, Allias and others, but I hope Stargate stay's away from those topics. Its nice to get away from them once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky

Actually I would say that they have quite explicitly denied a living religion: Hinduism... remember Nirti and well I suppose most of the Hindu gods would fall into the Goa'uld category seeing as they have thousands of them.

Religion is a very slippery slope when it comes to what you can and can not say. and I would actually want to see more criticism on all religions if any one religion is to be subject of debate on TV. What I mean by that is that if it's ok to label Hinduism false then so should it be ok to label christianity false in a fictional context.

Comment

Oh yes and one other thing I do think that there is a very prominent comment on religion in general throughou the entire stargate series:
                          "Religion is a very effective tool, which is used extensivly even on our small backwater planet" let's not forget the Seth episode (what was that one called again?)

Comment

Originally posted by Frumpman
                            Actually I would say that they have quite explicitly denied a living religion: Hinduism... remember Nirti and well I suppose most of the Hindu gods would fall into the Goa'uld category seeing as they have thousands of them.

Religion is a very slippery slope when it comes to what you can and can not say. and I would actually want to see more criticism on all religions if any one religion is to be subject of debate on TV. What I mean by that is that if it's ok to label Hinduism false then so should it be ok to label christianity false in a fictional context.
                            Except that targeting Christianity would probly have a very bad effect on US ratings. Something like 80 percent of americans claim to be Christian. Though the actually number is probly far less than that, alot of people who whatch stargate now might take offense if their religion was specifically targeted like that.

Comment

Err, is it a coincidence that there is a "Catholicism" Ad right below this thread?

Or at least, there was a minute a go....

Comment

Working...
                              X