Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Usage Question (Pegasus Project Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Usage Question (Pegasus Project Spoilers)

Now that we have a constant connection to the supergate because its being powered by a blackhole, i was wondering is there any way to draw power from the gate itself? as the gate is now connected all the time would that make an un-ending power source? i no there a problems with time dialation but either way, anyone think its possible to get free power?

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

It may be possible, but the gate that is conected to the supergate is not in atlantis, it is several lightyears away. Even if we could draw power from the gate, we couldn't get that power to atlantis.

Good idea though.

Comment

Perhaps we could build some sort of giant Buffer or storage unit that could take power and be transfered somewhere else?

it would have to be a giant buffer but perhaps it could be done?

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Could it be possible to recharge a dead ZPM? Period. And then think about using the Blackhole-'Gate
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

if the gates power source is limetless then who knows what kind of cool gadgets we could power up

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Let me point out the blatantly obvious.

If you want to hook more devices onto the power source, you have to power down the gate, add the device between teh gate and power source, then re-enable the gate. You can't just hook it up and drain power off of teh gate. Not to mtention that the wattage that would be going through the line would vaporize most anythign you'd try to hook up.

... So no.

Comment

im sorry when was the last time you were draining power from stargates? how is anyone to no what we can and cant do with a supergate? im pretty sure if you got carter, mckay, and all the eggheads in a room, theyed come up with a way. The asgard would do it

Dont let our show die.

Comment

I'm sorry, but when you have a degree in electrical engineering like me, then you may talk. I've spent days in labs with high power systems. You don't hook up your power-storage gear on a high voltage line while it is live... if you want to walk away alive. Unless all your systems could handle the immediate jolt of all that power, you'd fry/explode whatever gets hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                  I'm sorry, but when you have a degree in electrical engineering like me, then you may talk. I've spent days in labs with high power systems. You don't hook up your power-storage gear on a high voltage line while it is live... if you want to walk away alive. Unless all your systems could handle the immediate jolt of all that power, you'd fry/explode whatever gets hooked up.
                  I'm sure Rodney or Carter would of thought of that, also, this is fiction so if the writers want them to draw power from the stargate then they will.

Comment

That's the #1 defense non-technical people use.. "this is fiction".. even though the writers even said they based this on reality as much as possible...

If your system components (motherboards, processors, conductors) can't handle the power increase to begin with, you're going to meltdown/fry/destroy your system. End fo story. A Goa'uld Transport ship couldn't take the continual jolts that held the supergate components together in "beachhead". The eventual engaging of the stargate caused the ship to explode. It's unlikely that our ship would be able to tolerate it either.

besides, it's a supergate. It's going to be outputting astronomically large amounts of power. No single ship can take that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman
                      Could it be possible to recharge a dead ZPM? Period. And then think about using the Blackhole-'Gate
                      No, you can't recharge a ZPM, it's not a battery. A ZPM derives energy from a self-contained region of subspace (thanks for that Rodney), so if it reaches maximum entropy, that's it. Nothing you can do about it anymore.
                      *And that's all I have to say about that*

Comment

Who said all that stuff was using electricity?

It might actually be using internaly some form of light (big lazer beam) to transmit power... or many other forms we do'nt know about
                        And I'd tend to say something that survived a nuclear blast it should probably handle that anyway.

Comment

No single ship can take that.
                          and you know this how?

wether you have a degree in electrical techno gizmos or, a degree in cooking, how are you or any of us supposed to no what a high tech government laboratory can come up with? unless you have been to area 51?

and as said, the asgard would do it no problem

Dont let our show die.

Comment

That's the #1 defense non-technical people use.. "this is fiction".. even though the writers even said they based this on reality as much as possible...
                            They're not scientists, you can't look at everything that happens in Stargate and try and rationalise it scientifically using real-life science simply because its not that accurate...

Comment

Originally posted by mmu_man
                              Who said all that stuff was using electricity?

It might actually be using internaly some form of light (big lazer beam) to transmit power... or many other forms we do'nt know about
                              And I'd tend to say something that survived a nuclear blast it should probably handle that anyway.
                              ... does it LOOK like intricitely routed lasers to you? ... just.. wow. Never thought I'd see that from a rational, thinking human.

Comment

Working...
                              X