This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone put Pegasus Project in Jack terms for me please

OK i saw the episode but I'm still lost what exactly where there doing and how with the stargate i know there wanted to stop the supergate from opening that's about as much as i understand but i don't understand is the how part
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

By making the wormhole of a stargate in pegasus make the wormhole of another stargate in the Milky way jump to the super stargate, thus rendering it unusable by the Ori.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
      OK i saw the episode but I'm still lost what exactly where there doing and how with the stargate i know there wanted to stop the supergate from opening that's about as much as i understand but i don't understand is the how part
      Basically they made the signal jump to a different frequency, or in this case gate. If anyone has a better explanation please give it.

Comment

Originally posted by Battera
        By making the wormhole of a stargate in pegasus make the wormhole of another stargate in the Milky way jump to the super stargate, thus rendering it unusable by the Ori.
        but once that stargate that is in Pegasus is destroyed the super gate can be used again right......

edit time dilation it's going to take a long time for the gate to be destroyed
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

They came they saw they planted some nukes they succeeded and they had fun with wraith and ori ships. they got the address for where merlin weapon might be.

Comment

The gate in Pegasus, connected to the black hole, will now never run out of power. It'll be able to stay connected to the supergate indefinitely, keeping it occupied and therefore closed to the Ori.

a time to mourn

Comment

How does the gate in Pegasus draw power from the black hole? Can anyone explain this to me?

Comment

The SGC and the Asgard had been unsuccessful in dialing the MW Supergate to the Ori Supergate. As an alternative means of blocking travel from the Ori galaxy to the Milky Way, the SGC decided to dial and maintain a wormhole to the MW supergate.

For whatever reason, the MW supergate may only be linked to a wormhole that transverses a certain minimum distance. For this reason, SG-1 and the Odyssey traveled to Pegasus to make their attempt.

Merely connecting to the Supergate would not be enough for their purposes. Any mundane connection would quickly expire and provide no impediment for the Ori.

One, among several, method the SGC had encountered to maintain a wormhole is to embed one of the stargates involved within the effects of a blackhole.

Apparantly, it takes a substantially greater amount of energy to connect to a supergate than to a regular stargate.

For whatever reason, minus the presence of a ZPM, the mission could power and indefinately maintain a wormhole to a regular stargate, but not to the supergate.

They then used the method first identified in "Solitudes" to make the wormhole jump from the regular stargate to supergate. Thus for as long as the plot allows it, the MW supergate is occupied by an incoming wormhole, and is useless to the Ori.

As an aside. The episode bore witness to the unstopable destruction of the kawhoosh. Why then did the simply not position the regular stargate against one of the Supergate segments, and dial the regular gate. The Kawoosh would have damaged the segment and made the Supergate unusable without mucking about with intergatic travel, blackholes, and other such complications.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasDM
                  How does the gate in Pegasus draw power from the black hole? Can anyone explain this to me?
                  The same way the supergate does.

Comment

Wouldn't linking the supergate to a Stargate being powered by a black hole have some very severe consequences. Remember when the SGC was connected to a black hole, the Earth stargate started acting as a second one. So with the connection established we would be creating a gigantic black hole in the Milky Way. We might get lucky and suck up one or two of the Ori Ship but we don't know all the things that would be destroyed. Also, once the connection is established it would be very hard to break.

Comment

They're keeping the Ori Supergate via the Black Hole (if you don't understand that, go watch SG-1's 'Matter of Time')
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasDM
                        With hax .

I don't think there's any real science involved but as far as I can tell its supposed to be something to do with the close proximity of the event horizon of the wormhole to the event horizon of the black hole meaning the wormhole can draw infinte power from the singularity contained within the event horizon of the black hole. If that makes sense (it doesn't really from a scientific point of view but then Stargate has never been famous for that).

The downfall of many a great scientist. Lemons.

Comment

Nah, it just slows down time so the reason the supergate stays open is because time on the other side is very, very, very, very etc, slower.
                          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Yeah I suppose that would make more sense as time and length dilation mean that to an outside observer, an object never crosses the event horizon, it just freezes there. From the gate's frame of reference that doesn't happen it instead seems to itself to be continously "falling" towards the event horizon which it never catches up to.

The downfall of many a great scientist. Lemons.

Comment

They won. you wanted jack terms.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Working...
                              X