PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Project

rogue_knight
July 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Ok, so the nearly impossible was done and a regular gate connected to a supergate. I have a question, wont the MW gate eventually be destroyed by the black hole?

Scyld
July 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Eventually.

But with the effects of the black hole's gravity on the local time/space around the stargate, it almost certainly will not be destroyed within the lifetime of any of the characters on the show.

Lord You
July 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Exactly!!! Future story plot... just like the replicater arc...

rogue_knight
July 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Eventually.

But with the effects of the black hole's gravity on the local time/space around the stargate, it almost certainly will not be destroyed within the lifetime of any of the characters on the show.

Oh thats right, time dilation. Forgot about that. I just thought of this, can the connection be used to send messages to the SGC?

Selin Peers
July 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
The Milkyway side, specifically the Supergate, appears to be quite some distance from it's corresponding Blackhole as there does not appear to be any time dialation on the Milkyway side. The time dialation references in the episode apply specifically to the Pegasus side.

Daryl Froggy
July 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The Milkyway side, specifically the Supergate, appears to be quite some distance from it's corresponding Blackhole as there does not appear to be any time dialation on the Milkyway side. The time dialation references in the episode apply specifically to the Pegasus side.
Actually no they don't. If they had Teal'C would have had a high squeeky voice due to his time passing faster.

ArrowApollo
July 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM

There is no black hole on that side, it doesn't need one. One the gate that dials into the other needs the extra power provided by the blackhole to keep the wormhole open. Before, the Ori powered the Supergate withe a BH in their own galaxy.

Zatnikitelman
July 28th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Actually in camelot, they mention that they found the Chappa'cove because a Free Jaffa ship spotted a blackhole or atleast the gravity from one.

Sauron18
July 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
There is no black hole on that side, it doesn't need one. One the gate that dials into the other needs the extra power provided by the blackhole to keep the wormhole open. Before, the Ori powered the Supergate withe a BH in their own galaxy.
There is a singularity, that's the whole reason why they crush the planet. It's just a safe distance away.

Selin Peers
July 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Actually no they don't. If they had Teal'C would have had a high squeeky voice due to his time passing faster.

Wrong, the transmission between the two stargates and thus Teal'c's Al'kesh and the Oddessey is traveling through the same dialation. The dialation exists between the Pegasus Gate and the Oddessy. That same effect doesn't exist between the Milkyway Gate and Teal'c's Al'kesh.

Yet because it's present at the same point along the two way communication, it's having the same affect.

Selin Peers
July 29th, 2006, 12:11 AM
-rolls his eyes at GreyFox before sighing and shaking his head-

Alright! Moving on...

Ouroboros
July 29th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Ok, so the nearly impossible was done and a regular gate connected to a supergate. I have a question, wont the MW gate eventually be destroyed by the black hole?

Not before the Ori just build another one somewhere else like when we destroyed their first one and they built this one.

anyone else wish to bang morgan lefay?

not bad lol

I'm man enough to own up to it.

cbrseadude
July 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I dont think the Ori will build another super gate for some time. We may be able to track the remaining Ori ships movements, meaning that if they attempt to create another supergate, the 2 remaining Ori ships in space (not the one on Chulak) will most certainly go to the location they wish to create one at to gaurd it, so we then could interfer with its attempt. Interestingly, I wonder if they could spare 2 ships to protect a supergate, because one would probably have to stay in orbit above a landed ship because of how vulnerable a landed ship would be. So maybe they could only spare one ship to protect a new supergate location, that would be spreading thier forces thin. I wonder if the Ori even know how thier ship was destroyed?? Was it just me, or did it look like the Ori ships shields protected it for a short period of time? Those are some serious shields!!!

rarocks24
July 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM
anyone else wish to bang morgan lefay?

not bad lol
:D

cooky
July 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM
It did protect it from the blast wave translated through the stargate, but I don't think they even slowed the supergate's kawoosh.

cbrseadude
July 29th, 2006, 07:06 AM
It was really cool how the Ori ship tried to fire its main weapon at Teal'c, but then the Kawoosh started destroying the ship, the energy beam just kind of petered out and the ship started breaking up. Still I didnt at all expect a enemy ship to be destroyed, I thought it was pretty cool. I wonder if knowing how the Ori ship was destroyed, we can figure out what kind of energy is required to affect a Ori mothership shield? Also they couldnt locate teal'c through his shield, so that would tell me they are not all knowing and that thier sensors are not capable of everything. Something we will use to our advantage later.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well now al we have to do is to use stargates todestroy Ori ships. Maybe we could get a stargate close enough to an Ori ship to vaporize the ship:sheppard:

genome
July 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Well now al we have to do is to use stargates todestroy Ori ships. Maybe we could get a stargate close enough to an Ori ship to vaporize the ship:sheppard:

i been thinking that from the start... park a stargate on their shields n turn it on when it goes into a system

immhotep
July 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
strap a sodan cloak to a stargate and then send it off to the ori with a dial up program.....then just send nuke after nuke through the gate...maybe we could do that with the Wraith!!!

Sam fisher
July 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM
It was really cool how the Ori ship tried to fire its main weapon at Teal'c, but then the Kawoosh started destroying the ship, the energy beam just kind of petered out and the ship started breaking up. Still I didnt at all expect a enemy ship to be destroyed, I thought it was pretty cool. I wonder if knowing how the Ori ship was destroyed, we can figure out what kind of energy is required to affect a Ori mothership shield? Also they couldnt locate teal'c through his shield, so that would tell me they are not all knowing and that thier sensors are not capable of everything. Something we will use to our advantage later.
Wasn't Anubis's motherships able to detect cloaked ships?

GreyFox
July 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM
teal'c alkesh was prolly one of anubis' upgraded ones. ie newer cloak

pastence
July 31st, 2006, 07:13 AM
I have some questions just to clarrify for myself what happened:

What was the whole idea about the Blackhole (sorry, made a mistake by calling this Wormhole before)? Did it provide more power so that they can make a connection using normal gates between the Milky Way and the Pegasus Galaxy?

And how come sending a few bombs through the gates will help them to dail out with the Supergate!

Did the supergate open a wormhole between the Milky Way and the Ori Galaxy or to somewhere else? I mean it does not really matter to which Galaxy really because the Supergate is now inactive to be used from the Ori galaxy right?

So now they actually have a both-way connection between Pegasus and the Milky Way, using wormholes to charge both normal gates... except both gates are in Space...

Might be cool to send a puddle jumper to earth... so they can try and engineer the cloaking technology of the puddle jumper on a X-302

By the way, this was a great episode ... i just loved it and even watched it twice in a row... it was great!

Poor Teal'c just had to sit there for the whole episode...

jds1982
July 31st, 2006, 07:22 AM
I have some questions just to clarrify for myself what happened:

What was the whole idea about the Wormhole? Did it provide more power so that they can make a connection using normal gates between the Milky Way and the Pegasus Galaxy?

And how come sending a few bombs through the gates will help them to dail out with the Supergate!

Did the supergate open a wormhole between the Milky Way and the Ori Galaxy or to somewhere else? I mean it does not really matter to which Galaxy really because the Supergate is now inactive to be used from the Ori galaxy right?

So now they actually have a both-way connection between Pegasus and the Milky Way, using wormholes to charge both normal gates... except both gates are in Space...

Might be cool to send a puddle jumper to earth... so they can try and engineer the cloaking technology of the puddle jumper on a X-302

By the way, this was a great episode ... i just loved it and even watched it twice in a row... it was great!

Poor Teal'c just had to sit there for the whole episode...

Do you mean the black hole, because all stargates use wormholes, that's what you travel through. If you mean the black hole, than yes they used it to power the stargate because it's the only thing that can keep a wormhole open indefinately.

Betelgeuze
July 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM
What was the whole idea about the Blackhole (sorry, made a mistake by calling this Wormhole before)? Did it provide more power so that they can make a connection using normal gates between the Milky Way and the Pegasus Galaxy?

Yes, it provides more power.

They dialled out from the Pegasus gate to the normal gate in the MW, then used the bombs to overload the normal gate, making the wormhole jump from the MW gate to the supergate.

It opened a wormhole between Pegasus and the Milky Way. And yes, the Ori can't dail the supergate while it is active.

No, it is still a one way connection from pegasus to the MW. The supergate was designed in such a way that it only accepts incomming wormholes from another galaxy, which is why they had to dial the supergate from the pegasus galaxy.

Elitenova
July 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Lets just say a Wraith hive ship stumble upon the active stargate to the Milky way next to the black hole. They launch hundred of darts through with a couple of warriors beamed inside their ship, that could be a problem.

K-9
July 31st, 2006, 07:06 PM
I don't think that at this point anyone could get through the stargate without being affected by the black hole in such a way that any gate travel would be a non-issue.

As far as the kawoosh hitting the ori ship, the shields didn't do anything at all to protect the ship as the kawoosh simply vaporized the part of the ship that it came in contact with, leaving the rest to explode.

Xzyl
July 31st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Not before the Ori just build another one somewhere else like when we destroyed their first one and they built this one.

It may not matter. If the Supergates are bound by the same rules as normal stargates except scaled up for size and intergalactic networking then it might not be possible to have two active Supergates in the same galexy at the same time.

Selin Peers
July 31st, 2006, 08:52 PM
That's what I've been thinking... But at the same time. We saw that's not the case.

The Pegasus Blackhole Gate was connected to the Milkyway Gate adjacent to the Supergate. Therefore there was a connection between Pegasus -> Milkyway.

Atlantis detected the Wraith Cruiser but could not warn the Oddessy due to the time dialation after the effort to block the supergate was in progress. What did they do? Dialed Earth. Therefore another parrallel connection from Atlantis -> Earth was active. AKA Pegasus -> Milkyway.

Definately think that an attempt to assemble another supergate anywhere near the first one is not possible. But the Milkyway is actually large supposedly, even for a galaxy. Hell, the Milkyway is currently in the process of colliding with and absorbing an entire smaller galaxy! So another Supergate might be possible on the far side of the Galaxy.

Also, it should be noted, even if the Supergate isn't blocked. It's still a major victory. Beachhead to Camelot quite possibly was 5-8 months of time. Which suggest that the Ori cannot simply begin replacing a supergate over night. They have to build another one which take the better part of half a year, and then send it through the stargates. So, the Milkyway is on a repreive atleast for the next 5 months atleast.

jds1982
August 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Lets just say a Wraith hive ship stumble upon the active stargate to the Milky way next to the black hole. They launch hundred of darts through with a couple of warriors beamed inside their ship, that could be a problem.

And do what? Darts are short range, all they would do is run out of life support and die, or run into some pissed off Ori ships. Unless all the wraith come in all their hiveships to the MW, they're not a threat.

DrDJackson
August 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
That's what I've been thinking... But at the same time. We saw that's not the case.

The Pegasus Blackhole Gate was connected to the Milkyway Gate adjacent to the Supergate. Therefore there was a connection between Pegasus -> Milkyway.

Atlantis detected the Wraith Cruiser but could not warn the Oddessy due to the time dialation after the effort to block the supergate was in progress. What did they do? Dialed Earth. Therefore another parrallel connection from Atlantis -> Earth was active. AKA Pegasus -> Milkyway.

Definately think that an attempt to assemble another supergate anywhere near the first one is not possible. But the Milkyway is actually large supposedly, even for a galaxy. Hell, the Milkyway is currently in the process of colliding with and absorbing an entire smaller galaxy! So another Supergate might be possible on the far side of the Galaxy.

Xzyl was saying is that if the Supergates are to Galaxys as Stargates are to planets then there could only be 1 Supergate per galaxy, just like 1 planet can onyl have one stargate.

Blackstar
August 3rd, 2006, 03:11 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to have 2 active supergates in the same galaxy. Given that sam said is PP
The supergate is designed to be dialed from another galaxy
This is very much like the fact that a normal stargate is designed to be dialed from a significantly distant point in space...i.e. you can't have 2 active stargates on 1 planet/ship/close region of space.

Soo extending what sam said and combining it with what we know about normal stargate operations, I don't think the Ori will be able to connect a second supergate to the Milky Way...

immhotep
August 3rd, 2006, 03:26 AM
But they could create on nearby, like in Ina or Pegasus :O nooo, we have shot ourselfs in the foot with that one!

Mister Oragahn
August 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
It may not matter. If the Supergates are bound by the same rules as normal stargates except scaled up for size and intergalactic networking then it might not be possible to have two active Supergates in the same galexy at the same time.

That would, of course, be extremely convenient.
But considering the size of the supergate, I'd rather believe that, at best, it may block a quadrant.
The supergate isn't that big after all, and technically, those zones of dialing are probably just programmed restrictions.

RuleBritannia
August 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
I don't think the gate will ever be destroyed as time slows down more and more the closer to the Black Hole you get, so would the gate ever get close enough. Say the gate was the number 32 and the black hole was the number 0. You now half the number 32 to 16, it's now half way to the Black Hole, but as time slows down it will take longer to travel half the distance again, it's now at 8 it's mover 3/4 of the way into the Black Hole but to travel half the distance remaining will take longer than the first 3/4. As the Gate gets closer it constantly slows down. The only way the Gate would be destoryed is if time stops once in the Hole it's self. But there is no way to no what happens in the middle as light cannot escape for use to see.