This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why all the Atlantis hate?

I know this is a forum for discussion on the negatives and positives of Stargate Atlantis, but there is alot of negativity in this forum about Atlantis. The majority of negative comments seems to be directed at the (mis)casting of the show.

In my opinion, I think they did a great job in casting Atlantis and I think the team is coming together very well. Stargate SG-1 didn't really hit it's stride until late Season 1/early Season 2 and it will probably be the same with Atlantis. Once the writers get a good feel for the characters, the show will shine. As for now, I'm quite enjoying the learning process the cast and crew is going through during Season 1 and look forward to some really good stories being told in Season 2 that are on par with episodes like "The Fifth Race" and "A Matter Of Time" (some of my favourite sophomore episodes)

Any thoughts?
    "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Someone put it like this in a similar thread... "Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it half full"... The way I look at it is, you can't please everyone. It is impossible.

I think the show is doing fine. Better than could be expected even. But other folks will disagree because of their feelings about casting, storylines, etc...

Only time will really tell us if the show has it or not. I think it is doing well, and that it will be around for a long time. Others will not agree.

Reality probably lies somewhere in between, but who can say for sure...

Comment

Not only is the glass is half empty, but the water is dirty!

Ha, Just kidding. Atlantis is an incredible show. It's great to see so much effort put into something.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
        Not only is the glass is half empty, but the water is dirty!

Ha, Just kidding. Atlantis is an incredible show. It's great to see so much effort put into something.

I certainly agree with that. They're putting effort into something at last!
        __

__

Comment

I know everything's in the eye of the beholder,but I'm a glass half-full type !
          I've now seen the Premiere,and I have high hopes for Atlantis and the cast.
          I may change my POV at a later date,but I doubt it !

As for the "negativity",it'd be a very dull Forum,IMO, if we all decided one POV and there was no room for dissent.That would smack of propaganda and would serve no useful purpose .

As Supreme Commander Thor put it :"you can't please everyone". So true !
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

As simple as it is:

I really enjoy Atlantis, and everyone who doesn't - don't watch it! Noone's forcing you!

There is only one character I really dislike, and I think he is supposed to be so! That new security chief!
            But IMHO he'll die quite soon anyway

The rest of the cast and the characters.... cool!

Another example:
            I really hated MyKay in SG-1, he was a real a-hole.
            In SG-A it's he's one of my favs

And believe it or not - I like the opening sequence

Comment

Before seeing the premier of Atlantis I was not expecting much (in fact I was expecting the show to be a poor copy of SG1). But despite several rough spots I realised immediately that the show had a lot of potential. It's not perfect - no show is perfect at launch - but it has a lot of strong elements that can keep us watching.

The cast might have been better, but I think most of the actors will 'get the hang of' their characters soon enough. The only one I'm not too happy about is Teyla, but that is more the writers fault then the actress. The character feels a bit cliched.

On the whole I'm therefor looking forward to the comming season. With a little luck this show will also carry on for seven or eight seasons

Comment

I had high hopes for Atlantis, and they managed to either meet or exceed them. Sure, there's some stuff that I'd like to tweak, but I'm willing to give them ample time to improve.
                "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

Ah, nowaday's new spin-offs are always "bad". Enterprise, Atlantis, the New Star Wars movies.

Star Trek TNG was labeled bad too at the beginning. By the old-school.

The old-school people are plenty, and they are not very progressive, they think their old-school show is holy.

Fact is, that a lot of new shows get a lot new-schoolers watching. And ofcourse, on the internet new-schoolers have to watch out for the old-schoolers because the old-schoolers think they are "true".

Another example: replacing Fox Mulder with John Dogget in X-Files, made a lot of Dogget fans. But other people stopped watching because Mulder was holy.

Change is inevitible, characters cannot last forever. Well, its a matter of opinion.

Comment

Without getting into the casting, so far the episodes are just plain boring. Sure, the Wraith shows up once in a while, but most of the time just background filler episodes. I know they are trying to established the setting for a new galaxy, but not this way.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Originally posted by 220683
                      Without getting into the casting, so far the episodes are just plain boring.
                      Really? You thought Rising was boring? I know, I know, it´s a matter of taste, but I thought Rising was one of the most amazing pilots I have ever seen. Great story and special effects, lots of humour and all in all, it had a real 'epic' feel to it.

When SG1 was up to this point (ep5), the episodes weren´t exactly what we would call mindblowing, either.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I don't know why all the negative, but I think it boils down to personal taste and impression.

I think the casting is great, the actors really good, and developing nicely. My favorite is Sheppard, and I didn't think I'd like him at all when I saw the info before the premiere.

Right now, I prefer SGA to SG-1 (as it was last season and the last episode Icon). I loved the early formula with SG-1, and didn't think SGA could replace or meet that, but I think they have.

I'm excited for the show and look forward to hopefully many seasons!
                        sigpic

Comment

I loved the two hour premier of Atlantis, but have been less than impressed with the following episodes. I could easily have said the same thing about Stargate SG-1 during it's first season as well, looking back. Children of the Gods was awesome, The Enemy Within was ok, but who here thinks that Emancipation, The Broca Divide, and The First Commandment were really memorable episodes. Atlantis has hardly had a chance to prove anything one way or the other. I think it's time for everybody to be patient and let things develope for awhile before we throw in the towel on Atlantis.
                          Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                          O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                          O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

My 2 cents! You can please most of the people some of the time. You can please half the people half the time ,but you can't please all the people all the time You can please me most of the time, in life. When it come to pleasing me with SG-1 and SG-AT you please me all the time

Comment

Anyone who may have happened to read what I've been saying about negativity in general before, in other threads, might find this a little surprising coming from me - but:

I don't think there's too much negativity towards Atlantis on this forum. There is some complaining, yes - but overall, I'd say it looks like most people seem to like it and are enjoying it. That's good enough for me... I don't care if not everyone likes the same stuff I do. Just as long as the majority does.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X