PDA

View Full Version : Lorne question

schweinsty
July 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Hey, fanfic writer here, and I'm doing a story about Lorne right now. I noticed that here on gateworld and in a lot of stories he is referred to as Major Marcus Lorne, though some few shorten the name to Mark, and I was wondering where that name sprang from - I've watched his season 7 ep and all the eps of him on atlantis that I can get my hands on, although I missed part of season 1, and I just can't find where he's referred to that way. It's a nice name, and I'm calling him that in my story, but I was just wondering if it was a random fan naming or cannon. Thanks a bunch :).

Melyanna
July 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
The name came from the Lorne thunk thread here, I believe. I know it was fan-generated, as Lorne's never been given a first name in the show.

Skydiver
July 24th, 2006, 10:56 AM
he has no canon name

in a fic i called him Kevin since it's close to the actor's real name

Admiral Q O
July 24th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hey! Welcome to the forum! :D

As a fan fic writer, I turn first to the Omnipedia here at GW, it has no first name for Lorne.

Second option is show transcripts, which I have not the time to check. I would recommend going with whatever the consensus is with the Lorne thunkers, or using a pet name for him if the person speaking is intimate enough. If it's the narrator speaking, I'd just use Lorne. BTW...according to the Omnipedia, he was with the naquadah mining group in the ep Enemy Mine, so you could watch that for clues. *shrugs*

Reefgirl
July 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I've called him Marcus or Marc in the few fics I've included him in only because that seems to be the name everyone uses

schweinsty
July 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks a bunch, everyone. I'm going with Marcus for this one -- 'preciate the help. :).

Reefgirl
July 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
No Probs, come back if you need more help

Major Tyler
July 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
If you shorten it to "Marc," be sure to use the "c" and not the "k." ;)

schweinsty
July 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Oh, I'm going with Marcus - it's one of my favorite names.
BTW, Reefgirl - I love your banner. Did you make it? Zelenka is so underappreciated sometimes....:P.

Reefgirl
July 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Oh, I'm going with Marcus - it's one of my favorite names.
BTW, Reefgirl - I love your banner. Did you make it? Zelenka is so underappreciated sometimes....:P.
Yes I did make it, here's hoping he gets more time on screen this series

schweinsty
July 29th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Aha! Well, for anybody interested, I started at the beginning of the Lorne-thunking thread here and found out that the first mention of the name Marcus was on pg. 7, on (in my time zone, anyway) August 9, 2005, by Blue Banrigh.
Just thought y'all might like to know.

jesserella
July 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM
we call him spansky at sony, but gw people didn't go for it, pitty :(