PDA

View Full Version : Stargate mentioned at BSG Comic Con panel

morjana
July 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
From the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153605014396&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Jul. 23, 2006. 01:00 AM - SAN DIEGO, Calif.

**snippity doo-dah**

"Thanks for dressing up!"

An audience member was less than impressed with Richard Hatch's worn-out, sleeves-cut-off-to-show-nice-arms T-shirt and made sure the Battlestar Galactica (past and present) actor knew it.

The session, which was billed as a "provocative discussion of Battlestar new and classic" wasn't quite that. Hatch — not to be confused with the Survivor champ — had brought along Battlestar science consultant Kevin Grazer and Bear McCreary, the young Battlestar composer, and showed a 20-minute-long doc on the making of the music, followed by a 10-minute gag reel.

There was very little time left for any possible fights between old-school Battlestar fans and those preferring the new show. The most provocative thing said was when someone asked Grazer to give an example of bad science on television and the simple answer was: "watch an episode of Stargate."

**snippage**

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

prion
July 23rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
The most provocative thing said was when someone asked Grazer to give an example of bad science on television and the simple answer was: "watch an episode of Stargate."

I bet the execs at SciFi are just SOOOOO thrilled at one of their shows slamming another of their shows, and hey, it gets in the press too.

Jonzey
July 23rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Wow, I like BSG even less now, and I didn't think that was possible.

the fifth man
July 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
I am way offended by that. What a jack-***!

prion
July 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM

Sure isn't the brightest bulb. After all, Scifi.com cuts HIS paycheck.

the fifth man
July 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Sure isn't the brightest bulb. After all, Scifi.com cuts HIS paycheck.

It it were up to me, that paycheck would have just gotten slashed.:)

PG15
July 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
A**hole.

Trek_Girl42
July 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Wow.....words appropriate for the forum can't quite describe.....

Oreo
July 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
The most provocative thing said was when someone asked Grazer to give an example of bad science on television and the simple answer was: "watch an episode of Stargate."

I bet the execs at SciFi are just SOOOOO thrilled at one of their shows slamming another of their shows, and hey, it gets in the press too.

I'm sure they are HUGELY thrilled.

After the TERRIBLE primere ratings if that comment get 10 more people to watch the shows then Sci-fi will be happy.

Agent_Dark
July 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Uhh, maybe people are over-reacting? Stargate has never claimed to be spot on about the science. It's never claimed to be spot on about the mythology etc either.

I thought it was funny...

PG15
July 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
But why make the jab in the first place? Even if he picked Stargate, the best he could do was to explain it.

Face it, the guy's an a**hole.

Agent_Dark
July 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Maybe because joke != jab?

PG15
July 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Doesn't make him any less of an a-hole.

ussrelativity
July 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Safe word that can describe this:

*bleep*

I'll just leave it there.

prion
July 24th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Uhh, maybe people are over-reacting? Stargate has never claimed to be spot on about the science. It's never claimed to be spot on about the mythology etc either.

I thought it was funny...

The thing is that this guy is, whether as a joke or not, slamming a sister show on Scifi. The folks at the top shouldn't be happy that someone from BSG is slamming SG.

And as someone pointed out somewehre else, BSG picking on anybody about science is a joke. After all, their Cylons look like scantily clad centerfold models.

Naonak
July 24th, 2006, 06:10 AM
And as someone pointed out somewehre else, BSG picking on anybody about science is a joke. After all, their Cylons look like scantily clad centerfold models.

And that guy fixed the Pegasus' FTL drive by hitting it with a hammer...
No ship other than the Millenium Falcon should work like that. ;)

Ltcolshepjumper
July 24th, 2006, 06:16 AM
:sholva: If I were to comment on what that ********* said, I'd probably be banned from gateworld. So I'm not gonna comment( other than what I just said.):sholva:

:sholva: EDIT: I think I will comment. Whose idea was it to come up with human made robots that turn on humans and then eventually look like humans. Sounds like Terminator to me and that, as far as I am concerned, is the most unimaginative, boring, lame-a**ed, repetitive, ****ed-up idea for an enemy that was ever put on television. And those... ... I'm done.:sholva:

Cameron Mitchel
July 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Wow, I like BSG even less now, and I didn't think that was possible.
Never liked it, respected it though, before now.

can't help but be offended by the @$$***s; excuse my language but that's how I feel at this point.

:sholva: If I were to comment on what that ********* said, I'd probably be banned from gateworld. So I'm not gonna comment( other than what I just said.):sholva:

:sholva: EDIT: I think I will comment. Whose idea was it to come up with human made robots that turn on humans and then eventually look like humans. Sounds like Terminator to me and that, as far as I am concerned, is the most unimaginative, boring, lame-a**ed, repetitive, ****ed-up idea for an enemy that was ever put on television. And those... ... I'm done.:sholva:
I agree. No longer do I have respect for BSG. I can't. Face it. That was offensive. And the comments people have made based off these statements are true.

Agent_Dark
July 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Oh come on.... He said the science was bad in Stargate. Was he wrong? And I'm not talking about the 'technobabble' stuff, since that's meant to be out-there in Stargate. I'm talking about the basic stuff - lasers, manuevering in space, faster than light travel, sensors etc.

Lokii
July 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM
It's funny that he took a shot at Stargate, didn't the new version of BSG have a technological regression compared to the original?

Jonzey
July 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Oh come on.... He said the science was bad in Stargate. Was he wrong? And I'm not talking about the 'technobabble' stuff, since that's meant to be out-there in Stargate. I'm talking about the basic stuff - lasers, manuevering in space, faster than light travel, sensors etc.
So... basically the same stuff which exists in every single other space-based science fiction television series in history?

Oreo
July 24th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I agree with him 10%.

Heaven forbid he says the truth, or even his own ****ing opinion.

You people need to calm the **** down and stop acting like he just insulted your mother.

SGAFan
July 24th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Never took an interest in the "new" BSG before and sure as hell won't now. Nothing in this world would make me watch that show. So, while the Stargate crew wish BSG success running this fall (read that somewhere, I think it was a quote from one of the writers?) BSG turns around and slams Stargate. Wow, that really speaks volumes about the character (or lack thereof) of the people behind BSG.

Frankly? I hope they fall on their collective faces this fall. If so, I'll be in the front row laughing the loudest.

Albion
July 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
<snork> Reminds of the time Fox news took offence at a crack made against them in The Simpsons and declared in the press they were going to sue - before being reminded that Fox makes The Simpsons, too, and would essentially be suing itself.

What else but this kind of nonsense can you expect from TV types? <rollseyes>

Albion :)

Trek_Girl42
July 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
<snork> Reminds of the time Fox news took offence at a crack made against them in The Simpsons and declared in the press they were going to sue - before being reminded that Fox makes The Simpsons, too, and would essentially be suing itself.

What else but this kind of nonsense can you expect from TV types? <rollseyes>
That actually happend? :confused:

Remember that this is one member of the BSG staff/crew one hundereds of people; there's no reason to take it out on the whole show.....But that guy should be fired. When someone is acting as an ambassador for a show (which the members of that comic-con panel were essentially doing), there's no excuse to be anything but respectful and diplomatic.

MediaSavant
July 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Grazer speaks the truth.

penguininablender
July 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Joke or not, there are some things you just don't say. I thought I didn't like BSG before, but now I really don't. I think when his scifi show becomes the longest running EVER , then he can comment like that.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM
THe problem that I had was that he specifically bashed Stargate out of all the many scifi shows out there.:mckay:

penguininablender
July 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
THe problem that I had was that he specifically bashed Stargate out of all the many scifi shows out there.:mckay:
maybe he feels threatened?;)

Jonzey
July 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I agree with him 10%.

Heaven forbid he says the truth, or even his own ****ing opinion.

You people need to calm the **** down and stop acting like he just insulted your mother.
Ok, on an internet forum we can all pretend we are equal and entitled to our own opinion, but real life doesn't work like that. If a guy who worked in the same office as you sttod up in front of everyone and said how incompetent and useless you were, is that ok too, because it's his opinion? No, it's not. And this is the same thing.

morjana
July 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this will help the debate or not over Mr. Grazier's crediantials/opinions, but he's been writing BSG Tech Blogs for Hollywood North:

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=3228

"We're discussing the technical aspects of computers, networks, viruses, and Cylon hacking, as presented in Battlestar Galactica. Back to Zinjo, who touches on what I think is the most interesting aspect of all our computer espionage issues: how the Cylons gain remote access to Colonial computers:"

And the expounds on the science of BSG.

Morjana

PG15
July 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Truth is one thing, but respect is quite another. The a-hole may have the first one (and that's debatable IMHO), but he has none of the second.

Jonzey
July 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
It's too bad Sciffy sucks BSG's giant, bloated critical acclaim so much, otherwise I'd imagine he'd get in trouble for a comment like that.

MediaSavant
July 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
It's too bad Sciffy sucks BSG's giant, bloated critical acclaim so much, otherwise I'd imagine he'd get in trouble for a comment like that.

I don't know why you and others are saying that. It's not like anyone watches Stargate to learn science(and if you do, stop right now). I was a huge Farscape fan, yet I admit its science wasn't very good. It wasn't the reason I watched. In those days, if Grazer said that about Farscape, I'd agree with him, too. But, it wouldn't change the other aspects of Farscape that made it great in my opinion.

If he had criticized the writing or the acting it would have been a much more damaging statement than criticizing the science.

Ugly Pig
July 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I have yet to watch any BSG so I don't know who this guy is. But I will say this: To publically slam another sci-fi show, especially one that is not even a competitor but in fact airs on the same network, is downright unprofessional. And obviously, it's also rude.

RCoombes
July 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
When I spoke to a friend, who is a big sci-fi fan, about the new BSG he told me that he doubted that the new Cylons would be able to perform half the duties that you so easily see them do. He told me that they looked too top heavy and would stumble around a lot. He also suggested that the new Cylons would fall down everytime something hit them. I don't pretend to be a master about robotics, but he is going on to a PhD at Reading University in Robotics, so he should know what he's doing. Also I know for a fact that one BSG has a completely terrible science moment.

Starbuck is crashing on a planet and as her ship goes through the atmosphere she ejects and lands safely on the ground with just a broken leg. I guess its the atmosphere as her ship is showing signs of heat and she is coming from a space fight. Even with a parachute, it would too hot with the ship glowing red around her, she would have jumped from too high to survive a jump from there

If that isn't bad science I don't know what is.

As for Stargate, Stargate employ many experts to do background checks on their theories and esp in their Mythiology. Occassionaly they have a bad moments, but generally I can see the science working.

Jonzey
July 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I don't know why you and others are saying that. It's not like anyone watches Stargate to learn science(and if you do, stop right now). I was a huge Farscape fan, yet I admit its science wasn't very good. It wasn't the reason I watched. In those days, if Grazer said that about Farscape, I'd agree with him, too. But, it wouldn't change the other aspects of Farscape that made it great in my opinion.

If he had criticized the writing or the acting it would have been a much more damaging statement than criticizing the science.
It's more to do with the fact that he singled out Stargate out of aaaall the other possibilities: Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Farscape, The X Files, and so on. A lot of which have faaar less accurate science than Stargate.

lowriders95s10
July 24th, 2006, 05:17 PM
the worst science of BSG is
a Cylon having a half human half machine baby WTF or how cylon blood can cure cancer please and i won't even go into the FTL which magicly takes you from point A to point B

what a frelling idiot

penguininablender
July 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM
the worst science of BSG is
a Cylon having a half human half machine baby WTF or how cylon blood can cure cancer please and i won't even go into the FTL which magicly takes you from point A to point B

what a frelling idiot
i agree, how is that ok and wormholes are not? yes...frelling idiot indeed:)

Seshat
July 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I have yet to watch any BSG so I don't know who this guy is. But I will say this: To publically slam another sci-fi show, especially one that is not even a competitor but in fact airs on the same network, is downright unprofessional. And obviously, it's also rude.
I felt his remark was very catty and simply showed how insecure he must really feel. :(

sparklegem
July 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I don't have any problem with it. I thought it was funny, actually. Doesn't our show pride itself on being tongue-in-cheek? :)

AutumnDream
July 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM
You guys are getting too defensive. Stargate's "science" gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. But it's Stargate. It's a "comedy disguised as a science fiction show", as TPTB say. It's not supposed to be ultra-realistic.

prion
July 25th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Oh heck, I wouldn't count on ANY tv show to learn science, except maybe Bill Nye the Science Guy. It's like learning forensics off CSI; there's a modicum of truth things are fudged for great drama.

What's annoying about the BSG slanging off on Stargate, at least to me, is that it's just a tacky thing to say. Of course, maybe next year some creativ eperson on Eureka will be saying the same thing about BSG ;)

Meanwhile, most posts, live accounts and photos from COMIC con (and videos!) are piling up at the Comic con thread :)

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30638

PG15
July 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
You guys are getting too defensive. Stargate's "science" gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. But it's Stargate. It's a "comedy disguised as a science fiction show", as TPTB say. It's not supposed to be ultra-realistic.

Again, whether the statement was true or not doesn't matter, it's the lack of respect shown to a fellow Sci-fi channel show.

Seshat
July 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
What's annoying about the BSG slanging off on Stargate, at least to me, is that it's just a tacky thing to say. Of course, maybe next year some creativ eperson on Eureka will be saying the same thing about BSG ;)
Not only was it tacky, but it was bound to offend many of the Stargate fans in the audience (not to mention the actors and producers there). I mean, why would you want to alienate your potential audience?? That's why I think it was a very stupid thing for him to say out loud at any kind of event.

When I think of the exceedingly warm reception received by the BSG actors who made surprise appearances at the Vancouver Stargate con...and then at ComicCon this full-of-himself Grazer goes and knocks the SciFi shows that were for a time his show's lead-in, thus paving the way for his show to be accepted, it makes me lose respect for him and his product. He should know better than to do that. It's simply not professional.

No, Stargate is NOT BSG, nor does it have to be to be entertaining television. It sounds to me like this self-proclaimed "visionary" is full of a lot more than just vision. :rolleyes:

FlashBang
July 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
When I think of the exceedingly warm reception received by the BSG actors who made surprise appearances at the Vancouver Stargate con...and then at ComicCon this full-of-himself Grazer goes and knocks the SciFi shows that were for a time his show's lead-in, thus paving the way for his show to be accepted, it makes me lose respect for him and his product. He should know better than to do that. It's simply not professional.

That's exactly my problem. It's a matter of being...polite to those you work with. I mean, I don't spit on the boss when given the chance, and that's essentially what he did. The network owns both shows, and it's basically a slap into the face of the shows that made it easier for his show to even exist. If there hadn't been a Stargate (be it movie or show), Sci-Fi wouldn't have a locked target audience because there wouldn't have been credibility for the genre of shows to have a place to fit in at. Let's face it, the shown movies are pretty poorly made (but campy, which I love) compared to ones that say F/X shows and that's not exactly a big drawing for continuous viewing. It's the original programming and the promotion of them that pays for a lot of things we see on the channel.

So to me, it was disrespectful to the channel to sit and be from one show and target another, even if it was offhanded and meant to funny. It's a poor ethic, whether personal or professional, to slam a colleague in a public forum. Usually something like that gets a reprimand from the boss, but I highly doubt it will at this point.

Trek_Girl42
July 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Again, whether the statement was true or not doesn't matter, it's the lack of respect shown to a fellow Sci-fi channel show.
Exactly, it was very moronic of him. :rolleyes: Clearly he's never heard of the phrase "biting the hand that feeds you".

The.Prior.of.The.Ori
July 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
M0TH3RF*****!
i like both shows ... im starting to seriously loath this richard hatch guy.. screw the fact he was apollo in the 70's series:mad:

Demonique
July 27th, 2006, 05:31 PM
i like both shows ... im starting to seriously loath this richard hatch guy.. screw the fact he was apollo in the 70's series:mad:

Richard didn't make the remark about SG, Kevin Grazier, the science consultant on BSG, did.

Annubis' hitman
July 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Kevin Grazer.

Wow what a dumb ***. I know stargate science is a bit far fetched but that was extremely rude.

Slashing a fellow network show. NOT COOL.

Someone got his email adress Post it here or private message it to me because he is getting HATE MAIL.

aacid
July 27th, 2006, 06:02 PM
IMO, That comment was immature at best, callous at worst. Has Stargate twisted science? Yes, but so has every other sci-fi series including BSG. Why single out the show that runs just before your own. I have to say that a few fans may change the channel after Atlantis now rather than watch BSG.

RedGuard
July 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well, in general, all scifi shows are lacks when it comes to proper science. To our knowledge at the current time, the shows would suck if we used exactly what we know as true. Anyways scifi is suppose to be just that, scifi. If someone watches BSG for real absolute science then they need to take the other pill and go back to dream land.

Lets face it, BSG has had its bad moments as mentioned in here in previous posts or the fact that they barely explored any of the surrounding space in all the years they had FTL capable drives. Plus no one ever mentioned how they got to the colonies and why the regressed in technology since then.

Stargate isn't about this, it instead intertwines itself in myths and legends. That is why I watch it. Stargate has a backstory that has beaten any other show I've seen. Farscape comes in second. BSG is the kind of thing you see in all scifi books just repeated over and over.

So let him complain about science, if that is all he cares about he doesn't understand the genre very well.

Oreo
July 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Ok, on an internet forum we can all pretend we are equal and entitled to our own opinion, but real life doesn't work like that. If a guy who worked in the same office as you sttod up in front of everyone and said how incompetent and useless you were, is that ok too, because it's his opinion? No, it's not. And this is the same thing.

:rolleyes:

It's a show people, it's not a ****ing family member.

They don't work in the same office, they don't share anything besides the network. And if the guy didn't stand up in front of them, they stood up in a bunch of geeks. And frankly yes if the guy in the office said the truth about your work in front of people good. I'm just sorry that he can't fire some Stargate people. It's a great franchise that needs to be saved from the now braindead people in command.

kmwhite
July 28th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I think some people are getting a little extreme (no, not wormhole x-treme ;) ) here. Who ever says "I have no respect for BSG" or the like is pushing it, don't you think? Shouldn't you take your frustrations out on the person who made the comment, rather than the show he's from? I'm a HUGE fan of both series+spinoffs. I like them for different reasons though. IMO, BSG is darker. BSG is grittier. SG1/A is more humorous, and more enjoyable to just sit down and watch. Both shows are very well done, which is shown by their very loyal fan base. As sci fi (genre, not channel) fans, shouldn't we be, oh, supporting the shows, to get the channel better funding rather than making dumb comments (refering to the guy who said "Go watch an ep of Stargate", not something that I've read here) and inciting arguments? On the other hand, he was asked point blank about another sci fi series. I just know that I couldn't choose between the two.

EDIT: Just some gramatical fixes.

prion
July 28th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I think some people are getting a little extreme (no, not wormhole x-treme ;) ) here. Who ever says "I have no respect for BSG" or the like is pushing it, don't you think? Shouldn't you take your frustrations out on the person who made the comment, rather than the show he's from? I'm a HUGE fan of both series+spinoffs. I like them for different reasons though. IMO, BSG is darker. BSG is grittier. SG1/A is more humorous, and more enjoyable to just sit down and watch. Both shows are very well done, which is shown by their very loyal fan base. As sci fi (genre, not channel) fans, shouldn't we be, oh, supporting the shows, to get the channel better funding rather than making dumb comments (refering to the guy who said "Go watch an ep of Stargate", not nothing that I've here) and inciting arguments? On the other hand, he was asked point blank about another sci fi series. I just know that I couldn't choose between the two.

Actually, your repsonse is the reason that Mr. Grazer should have used his brains before he opened his mouth. In this day and age of instant communications, the press glommed on to a creative person on one Scifi Show (BSG) bashing another SCiFi show (SG1). Whether he meant it in jest or thinks his show is THE best is debatable, but the horse is out of the barn.

People are going to talk, are going to wonder.

But the basic thing is that Mr. Grazer shouldn't have said that as both shows are made by SciFi, and I seriously doubt SciFi would like to see one show on their network making catty remarks about another. If they do it in the privacy of their own offices, that's their business, but what they say in PUBLIC (yes, public) makes a lot of difference.

Personally, I've tried BSG several times but don't like it. Characters don't appeal to me, nor do the plots, so hey, that's an hour I can devote to something else more productive :)

BSGSciNerd
December 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
QUOTE=prion;5571425]Actually, your repsonse is the reason that Mr. Grazer should have used his brains before he opened his mouth. In this day and age of instant communications, the press glommed on to a creative person on one Scifi Show (BSG) bashing another SCiFi show (SG1). Whether he meant it in jest or thinks his show is THE best is debatable, but the horse is out of the barn.

People are going to talk, are going to wonder.

But the basic thing is that Mr. Grazer shouldn't have said that as both shows are made by SciFi, and I seriously doubt SciFi would like to see one show on their network making catty remarks about another. If they do it in the privacy of their own offices, that's their business, but what they say in PUBLIC (yes, public) makes a lot of difference.[/QUOTE]

KRG here. I will be the FIRST person to admit that I blew it. In fact, I just
did an interview that will appear next week in a few BSG fan sites where
I discuss that comment at that very Comic-Con panel. Total brain fart.
Mind wasn't enganged. Felt guilty for a long time after. The fact of the
matter is (brief version) that I thought "Have you ever seen 'Armageddon'?"...
but for some reason actually SAID, "Have you ever seen 'Stargate'?".

So... apologies to Stargate producers and fans (of which I am one)...
No apologies to "Armageddon" (the science ranged from nonexistent to
atrocious).

Dr. G.

PG15
December 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Now THAT is class. Thank you Mr. Grazer. :)

sueKay
December 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Thank you for the apology Mr. Grazer...It's appreciated :)

Pitry
December 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Oy, thanks for the clarification. :)

full.infinity
December 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM

atrocious).

Dr. G.

I understand, I've done the same thing. Though admittedly it usually comes out as making no sense whatsoever(repeating a word I had already used in the other side of a contrast)

Traveler Enroute1
December 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM

atrocious).
Dr. G.

Just sayin', now that's worthy of forgiveness! Well said and kudos for extending friendship to fans of SG1 (and BSG) at Gateworld. :)

Randy_Watson
December 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM
This guy is probably just upset because BSG got ripped by an ESPN writer precisely due to it's bad science, and how that has started to take the enjoyment of the show away from him.

Edit: Sorry, just read his message. oops :danielanime05:

BSGSciNerd
March 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
This guy is probably just upset because BSG got ripped by an ESPN writer precisely due to it's bad science, and how that has started to take the enjoyment of the show away from him.

:danielanime05:

Actually, I'm a HUGE fan of TMQ (the ESPN feature mentioned above).
Sadly, many of Mr. Easterbrook's technical complaints scream out, "I'm
not paying attention." I've addressed some of this compalints in my
TECH Blog on www.hollywoodnorthreport.com, and will be addressing
some of the rest in an upcoming entry.

Dr. G.

Jackie
March 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't get too worked up over what the "consultant' said at the convention.

ALL SCI-FI is bad science! That's why is't all fiction. Science Fiction--made up science.

I'm not a BSG-er anymore. Haven't been for a year now. But the statement was just one of those things that could either be funny or stupid.

Anything that has to do with good science would be an educational show, like Bill Nye. Discovery channel, ect...

Anything that is made up science would be on skiffy to begin with.

The trick is to root the made up science in a tade bit of reality. BSG's reality is about as screwed up as you can get. People humping machines that look like playboy super models. 12 worlds that all worship greek gods. suicidal mechanics, Balter is psycopath. Number 6 is your average blond bomb shell from a bar who just wants free drinks.

Thunderbird 2
March 9th, 2007, 12:27 AM
ALL SCI-FI is bad science! That's why is't all fiction. Science Fiction--made up science.

That doesnt have to be the case though. - Some of the best pieces of classic science fiction have used or at least included plausible theories or researched technology at the prototype stage and included them. Metropolis (the use of flying machines) 2001 A Space Odessey (Satelite communication, plausible lunar bases) and some of the early Bond gadgets (underwater cameras, the pager, the fax machine, fingerprint and retina scanners) are examples of how using proper research and having an understanding of how technlogy is developing can create sci fi that can both be plausible and doesn't date. - It doesn't all have to be about the purple glowing cloud that splits everyone into three time frames! :beckett: