This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal view on Stargate Atlantis

Hey, I'm new to the forum so just wanted to give my personal view on the new show, Stargate Atlantis.

I must admit, overall I'm not that impressed. I do know that only a few episodes have aired, so this is based on what I feel at this current time. May change later of course

Good old SG-1 just has that "something" that we all can relate to. It takes place on earth, in our current time and thereby with our level of technology and it just feels like it really could happend..

SGA feels to much like science fiction, in relation to the SG-1 universe. So far there has been no episode that I really liked. Pretty weak stories. I admit that the pilot was pretty intense, but it just showed waaay to much to fast. Come on....you dont just master the technology of one the most advanced beings ever existed just like that. And just because Sheppard can fly helicopters, it doesn't mean that he can with ease fly an Ancient shuttle. The introduction of the new enemy was also a bit fast.

Next the cast, which I do have some doubts about. Although I admit I enjoy Sheppard as the "main" character. I see greaaaat potential..

Rainbow Sun Francks as the character "Ford" seems completely mis-placed. He just seems to young and, and his acting is pretty poor. Simply added to attract more female audiences?

McKay was great in SG-1 as the enoying guy and yes he still is. Well, I'll properly learn to love him ...

Dr. Weir. Well I dont really have an opinion about her yet. Maybe she has been slightly mis-casted (Properly spelled wrong). She just doesn't feel like the great autority person. Poor acting?

Overall as I said in the beginning I'm not that impressed with the show so far. I could write some more, but I feel like I've said the most important parts. Maybe a bit short....

Do you guys agree or what. Would love to hear what you think of the show in general so "far". Cons and pros...
    Last edited by Gabriel; 08 August 2004, 09:55 AM.

**WARNING! Possible spoilers ahead!***

Pros and Cons, ne?

Pros:
    -Completely different show than SG-1 with different focus. Anyone else notice episodes revolve around the city itself often? I love that.
    -McKay. God, love the character. Pompous one minute, heroic the next (well, as heroic McKay can be. Poor Rodney.)
    -The other characters. While I'm not a Sheppard fan, I think he's a good character. Weir and Teyla are pretty cool so far. And Ford... yeah, he needs development, but come on! We've had, what, five eps now? Not all of them can be dedicated to character development. Give the writers time.
    -Story thus far. Cool stuff. I'm of the opinion their war with the Wraith isn't what it seems. I mean, really. After seeing what the Ancients can do and then what the Wraith can do, do you honestly think they beat the Ancients? It's gonna get interesting.

Cons:
    -Weir. She's really a strange character (and a fanfiction writers worse nightmare, let me tell you. >.<) that despite the shows best attempts hasn't been beefed out yet.
    -Erm....
    -Um....
    -That smartass from '38 Minutes' that Weir layed the smackdown on is annoying.

Well, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. But I happen to like Atlantis more than SG-1. *ducks tomatoes throw at her*

~Lucia
    This is OTAKUDOM-
    I mean.... This is STARGATEDOM!

IMPORTANT! Lucia Tanaka will be AWOL for about 1-2 months due to school. See you soon!

Comment

Three ways to look at this.

First is the car crash syndrome. You shouldn't look but you do it anyway. You make no comments either way.

Second is the griper. You don't really like the show but you watch it anyway just to complain about it. Enough of those and it gets cancelled and those of us who liked it are screwed.

Third, you watch and let it grow on you, offering useful critiques like most of us here.

It was your "Just don't see the need for it" comment that got me.

What is it going to be Gabriel?

One, two or three?

Comment

Just a note, I make it my business to kill those in the number two category

Comment

Second is the griper. You don't really like the show but you watch it anyway just to complain about it. Enough of those and it gets cancelled and those of us who liked it are screwed.
          I don't think you can blame the gripers for shows getting cancelled. People can whinge all they want but at the end of they day they don't have any effect. What has an effect is how many people are watching the show. If the network is not getting high enough viewing figures it will get cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightmaker
            Three ways to look at this.

First is the car crash syndrome. You shouldn't look but you do it anyway. You make no comments either way.

Third, you watch and let it grow on you, offering useful critiques like most of us here.

It was your "Just don't see the need for it" comment that got me.

What is it going to be Gabriel?

One, two or three?
            Hey...we are all allowed to have our opinion right?`

...and to the "Just don't see the need for it" comment, I might have been a little harsh. I'm gonna scrach that. I'm a great fan of everything involving the Stargate Universe. So of course I'll watch it. Just coming with some critisism.

Comment

...and I did say that this is how I feel so far. The show has just started, and is just looking for things that could improve...

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel
                And just because Sheppard can fly helicopters, it doesn't mean that he can with ease fly an Ancient shuttle.
                No, there was a completely different reason for why he was able to fly the Puddle Jumper.
                Originally posted by Lucia Tanaka
                After seeing what the Ancients can do and then what the Wraith can do, do you honestly think they beat the Ancients?
                Yeah. Because we haven't seen what the Wraith are capable of. All we've seen are a very limited number of them running through the woods firing their stun guns, as well as flying around in their pointy ships.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I like it,from the first episode. Personally, I think the first actress made a better Weir, this one just doesn't do it for me. That doesn't make the show bad. I like the premise, the way they got the people (can't remember their names) on land was pretty cool, I wondered what they were gonna do. And I always loved MaKay, he is a pill.I like the way the show is progressing, I think in the end it's gonna be a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                  X