• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heath Ledger as the Joker?

Joker Announcement Coming
    Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson and...
    by Jeff Otto

July 20, 2006 - After months of speculation about the casting of The Joker in the forthcoming Batman Begins sequel, a large stable of actors have been linked to the part including Jude Law, Robin Williams, Paul Bettany and Steve Buscemi. The Batman rumor mill began churning again this morning and this time it appears that a legit announcement on who will play Batman's arch rival is imminent.

The final verdict? Heath Ledger.

The Latino Review website first reported the news this morning, prompting a slew of websites to follow.

IGN FilmForce looked into the rumor and can confirm, after checking with a number of reliable sources, that it is indeed true. There has been no official confirmation as yet, but we can claim confirmation of the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" variety.

The final word may come during this weekend's Comic Con 2006 in San Diego, where some sources are claiming that Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan could make an appearance to announce Ledger as The Joker.

Ledger, who has made a career resurgence of late, is generating strong buzz for his upcoming portrayal of Bob Dylan in Todd Haynes' I'm Not There.

After a promising start to his career in The Patriot, Monster's Ball and the hit A Knight's Tale, Ledger was headlining "it" lists everywhere. But a series of flops including The Four Feathers, Ned Kelly and The Order put the actor's career in brief jeopardy.

In 2005, things took a sudden upturn for Ledger, garnering an Oscar-nod for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in one of last year's most acclaimed films, Brokeback Mountain. Ledger also received kudos for his amusing portrayal of Skip in Lords of Dogtown.

Stay tuned to IGN FilmForce for more on this story as it develops.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/719/719898p1.html

Pretty unexpected news. I don't know if Heath Ledger will make a good Joker, there are a lot of other people who are better candidates.

I read this earlier and wondered what the hell they are thinking. I can't see him as The Joker.

This is still 100 times better than the Robin Williams thing from a few weeks back.

Comment

Oh my god... That's almost as bad as Matt Damon as Kirk.

Comment

That is.....a joke?

Comment

sorry im dont think he's the right choice for the part. i just cant imagine him being the joker

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Heath Ledger. Seriously?

Hopeing this "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" confirmation will turn out to be more of an unfortunate twitching syndrome on behalf of the source rather than an actual confirmation from someone in the know.

Will green intelligent debates, not just those who share my views. Challenge - always.

Comment

I don't mind him as an actor, don't get me wrong. But not as the Joker. Come on.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I hope this is a cruel joke....I really thought this series might go somewhere.
                "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
                Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
                ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Heath Ledger is totally wrong for the role.... though he is better than the other candidates listed in the artice.... i mean, come on? Jude Law? Robin Williams? we need someone young, or rather young looking.... though i'm not really sure who would make a good Joker... but it needs to be someone commical... i don't think i've ever seen Ledger in a purely commical role.... he's always been the hero with a slight commedy relief....
                  I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                  sigpic

Comment

Er... no... Can't see it...

Wasn't Paul Bettany on the short list?
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Dezdmona
                      I hope this is a cruel joke....I really thought this series might go somewhere.
                      He probably just wants to do it to get the taste out of his mouth from his last movie: Brokeback Mountain. Why they would want him....

The only work I even half way liked of his was the series ROAR and A Knight's Tale...but that's just me.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        Er... no... Can't see it...

Wasn't Paul Bettany on the short list?

I could see Paul as the Joker.

Comment

Paul Bettany was considered. Other fan favorites were Crispin Glover, Mark Hamill, Adrian Brody and so on...

Comment

Heath Ledger would be a terrible choice.

I´d be happy with Mark Hamill in the role ( at least the voice would be spot on ) but somehow I don´t think the studio would take that big of a gamble.

Paul Bettany could work. Not sure what other actors would fit the bill.

Comment

Working...
                            X