This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Defense of Dr. Weir [Spoilers New Order, and All of Atlantis]

Okay, I've thought about directly defending the character in the two other Weir threds, but you know what, I really don't feel like dignifying the tone of the people who started them by engaging them in why I like the character. Addressed in two parts:

1) The Character. Weir's leadership qualities have been much maligned of late, with people asserting that she's unqualified, that she's incompetent, that she's wishy washy, and that she's boring. For me this seems hardly competable with the way she is portrayed in New Order. I was in love with the character the minute she demanded all of Ba'al's territory in exchange for his distruction. That took guts. They were playing hardball with her, and so she was playing hardball right back at them.

People with diplomatic training are often interpetted as being indecisive, or peaceful. The greatest diplomat in American history was a former general. Being a good diplomat means that you are adaptable, and willing to play the cards you have (and perhaps you don't have) with finese, or with a heavy bat to back yourself up. I believe the character has been entirely consistent with that kind of rough and ready diplomat. She's not the secretary of state type, she is the type who walks behind the secretary and tells you what we really mean while the press cameras are off taking picture of the foreign ministers shaking hands.

People have questioned her competence as a military leader. She's not a military leader, and I rather doubt she thinks she is either. But unlike the SGC, Atlantis is not a military mission. For eight years we have now been used to the way that the military affairs, so perhaps those used to the universe have forgotten that the way the military handles things is not the be all and end all to how leadership can be done. I am not disparraging the military, but they exist in a world of regimented right, and wrong. A world, as one author put it when talking about the U.S. Military Academy, without irony. Without subtly. Weir comes from an entirely different world. When they stepped through the Atlantis Gate they had no reason to think that they would be suddenly at war with undead vampires with nasty eating habits.

The Atlantis expedition is an international expedition tied closely to the Antartic Treaty System, and as such, brings with it certain assumptions about the military presence. The ATS was formed in the years following World War II with the basic premise that one part of our world, which had been so wracked with war, would remain unstained by man slaughtering his fellow man. Antartica is, under the ATS, is not to be used for a military purpose, though military personnel are not forbidden (my understanding is that US Air National Guard, and New Zealand Air Force planes are the regular flights in and out, as well as the USCG's ice breakers). In the spirit of the ATS Atlantis could not ever be a lead by a military officer. Even if the ATS were not set up the way that it is (Wikipedia has a very nice article about it), the "over a dozen" governments involved in it weren't particularly likely to assent to a US Air Force or Marine officer in command. Like it or not, the United States does not have a particularly good reputation in the international community. To satify all those parties involved, the leader of this (supposed to be a science expedition remember) would have to be someone all the parties were confident in and could trust.

Taking her actions once in the Pegesus Galaxy...

Yes, she was hesitent about sending a rescue mission out immediately, and as Sheppard pointed out, the fact that she expressed those doubts in private showed that she knew that he was right... HOWEVER ... I seem to recall that Sheppard wanted to go running through the gate after them right away. Anyone else thinking they'd have ended up as deadsikles in space without a ship?

Yes, she was hard on Kavanagh. I believe that a military officer would have been harder, and I think given the cercumstances she needed to be that hard, but that's a point that's been debated over and over and over. Would I have liked it if she had been a little bit less ... pissy? Yes, I would have. But I didn't have five of people on my mind and 20ish minutes to hope that their lives could be saved.

Her handling of the spy buisness. I didn't like Sergeant Bates anymore than anyone else, but it is hard to escape the logic that the Athosians were the logical suspects, and Talya, as the one who was on the last mission that was ambushed, continued to be the logical suspect until McKay proved otherwise. I give Weir credit for staring each Athosian in the face and forcing herself to do this hands on. I'd have less respect for her if she had simply let Bates run the interrogation.

As for the gate, Hammond (and now Jack) have waited equally long periods of time before opening the iris. If that is a flaw in Weir, it's a flaw in them as well. And in the end, like Hammond (and now Jack), she makes the right decision.

2) The Actor. I never saw Lost City, so I can't speak to the original actress, other than the fact that TPTB knew what they wanted in the character, and for some reason wanted to recast. She is after all, more formed in their heads in the making of the series than she is on our screens as of Episode 5. No character is completely well developed this early, at this time in SG1 Sam was still being militant and angry and Teal'c was still... not saying much. Demanding more and blaiming Ms. Higginson when it doesn't deliver seems beyond unfair.

As for tastes, so some of you don't find her attractive. I for one find her VERY attractive. But I also obviously find the character attractive, and have absolutely no problem with her delivery. I would also kindly ask those attacking her to please give some ... concrete reason for their feelings about her as an actress rather than making bland and unimpressive statements that she is 'bland' or 'boring.'
    Last edited by Major Fischer; 07 August 2004, 04:45 PM. Reason: Changing title.

Personally, Major, I am inclined to agree with you... on most of it, at least. I do not find her attractive, in the way she looks, but I find her personality to be most pleasing. On the rest, though, I'm willing to agree with you. She is quite intuitive, and has a sense of tactics and intelligence that, while different from the military mind, works well in these situations. She hesitates... but I believe that her hesitation with the energy shield was more for dramatic effect than it was anything else. And as for her treatment of her subordinates, her choice in security chiefs, and her often pausing to make decisions (the hesitation issue once again), I would say that it is quite within how ANYONE in her situation would act.

So know that I do not argue with you on these points. However, I do have one thing to say, and know that I consider you a friend as I'm saying it.

If I've ever called you obsessive before... I now have documented evidence. Thank you very much for that.
    "Those who the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad."

Comment

I'm, like, agreed with all of your points! And... I like her in every way, especially the way she looks! And I think she's a good actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        Okay, I've thought about directly defending the character in the two other Weir threds, but you know what, I really don't feel like dignifying the tone of the people who started them by engaging them in why I like the character. Addressed in two parts:

1) The Character. Weir's leadership qualities have been much maligned of late, with people asserting that she's unqualified, that she's incompetent, that she's wishy washy, and that she's boring. For me this seems hardly competable with the way she is portrayed in New Order. I was in love with the character the minute she demanded all of Ba'al's territory in exchange for his distruction. That took guts. They were playing hardball with her, and so she was playing hardball right back at them.

People with diplomatic training are often interpetted as being indecisive, or peaceful. The greatest diplomat in American history was a former general. Being a good diplomat means that you are adaptable, and willing to play the cards you have (and perhaps you don't have) with finese, or with a heavy bat to back yourself up. I believe the character has been entirely consistent with that kind of rough and ready diplomat. She's not the secretary of state type, she is the type who walks behind the secretary and tells you what we really mean while the press cameras are off taking picture of the foreign ministers shaking hands.

People have questioned her competence as a military leader. She's not a military leader, and I rather doubt she thinks she is either. But unlike the SGC, Atlantis is not a military mission. For eight years we have now been used to the way that the military affairs, so perhaps those used to the universe have forgotten that the way the military handles things is not the be all and end all to how leadership can be done. I am not disparraging the military, but they exist in a world of regimented right, and wrong. A world, as one author put it when talking about the U.S. Military Academy, without irony. Without subtly. Weir comes from an entirely different world. When they stepped through the Atlantis Gate they had no reason to think that they would be suddenly at war with undead vampires with nasty eating habits.

The Atlantis expedition is an international expedition tied closely to the Antartic Treaty System, and as such, brings with it certain assumptions about the military presence. The ATS was formed in the years following World War II with the basic premise that one part of our world, which had been so wracked with war, would remain unstained by man slaughtering his fellow man. Antartica is, under the ATS, is not to be used for a military purpose, though military personnel are not forbidden (my understanding is that US Air National Guard, and New Zealand Air Force planes are the regular flights in and out, as well as the USCG's ice breakers). In the spirit of the ATS Atlantis could not ever be a lead by a military officer. Even if the ATS were not set up the way that it is (Wikipedia has a very nice article about it), the "over a dozen" governments involved in it weren't particularly likely to assent to a US Air Force or Marine officer in command. Like it or not, the United States does not have a particularly good reputation in the international community. To satify all those parties involved, the leader of this (supposed to be a science expedition remember) would have to be someone all the parties were confident in and could trust.

Taking her actions once in the Pegesus Galaxy...

Yes, she was hesitent about sending a rescue mission out immediately, and as Sheppard pointed out, the fact that she expressed those doubts in private showed that she knew that he was right... HOWEVER ... I seem to recall that Sheppard wanted to go running through the gate after them right away. Anyone else thinking they'd have ended up as deadsikles in space without a ship?

Yes, she was hard on Kavanagh. I believe that a military officer would have been harder, and I think given the cercumstances she needed to be that hard, but that's a point that's been debated over and over and over. Would I have liked it if she had been a little bit less ... pissy? Yes, I would have. But I didn't have five of people on my mind and 20ish minutes to hope that their lives could be saved.

Her handling of the spy buisness. I didn't like Sergeant Bates anymore than anyone else, but it is hard to escape the logic that the Athosians were the logical suspects, and Talya, as the one who was on the last mission that was ambushed, continued to be the logical suspect until McKay proved otherwise. I give Weir credit for staring each Athosian in the face and forcing herself to do this hands on. I'd have less respect for her if she had simply let Bates run the interrogation.

As for the gate, Hammond (and now Jack) have waited equally long periods of time before opening the iris. If that is a flaw in Weir, it's a flaw in them as well. And in the end, like Hammond (and now Jack), she makes the right decision.

2) The Actor. I never saw Lost City, so I can't speak to the original actress, other than the fact that TPTB knew what they wanted in the character, and for some reason wanted to recast. She is after all, more formed in their heads in the making of the series than she is on our screens as of Episode 5. No character is completely well developed this early, at this time in SG1 Sam was still being militant and angry and Teal'c was still... not saying much. Demanding more and blaiming Ms. Higginson when it doesn't deliver seems beyond unfair.

As for tastes, so some of you don't find her attractive. I for one find her VERY attractive. But I also obviously find the character attractive, and have absolutely no problem with her delivery. I would also kindly ask those attacking her to please give some ... concrete reason for their feelings about her as an actress rather than making bland and unimpressive statements that she is 'bland' or 'boring.'
        I believe she does not have the stregth to lead anything. She does not impress me as a diplomat either. I'm speaking specifically about the actress. She just does not have the air of authority that one needs to portray this character. The previous actress did a much better job handling and portraying someone in charge. As I have said in previous threads, send her to the island, perhaps she can do something useful there, plant crops perhaps. Just get her out of the command path, this actress, regardless of her looks which are totally irelevant, just can't play this part IMHO. And I believe that we've seen enough episodes to make this observation, more won't change anything.

Comment

Excellent post, Major, and I can't really add anything to it. Atlantis is not - or was not intended to be - a military mission and Weir is really more like a governor than a general. I have some issues with figuring the character, but I'm willing to hold off on worrying about it until later...much later.

It may just be the "new face" syndrome. I'm not talking about the different actress issue (I actually didn't like Steen), but just the new character in a beloved setting, i.e., using the Stargate. It's easy to "see" Sheppard and Ford...we've seen lots of the military type around the Gate. It's easy to "see" McKay, since we've seen him before. It's even easy to "see" the Athosians and the Wraith...what's another bunch o' aliens? Weir is the newest type of character here, so - for me - she takes a little getting used to.

I keep forgetting to have a conversation with a coworker who started watching Stargate with Atlantis. I'm really curious as to what she thinks...
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed
            I believe she does not have the stregth to lead anything. She does not impress me as a diplomat either. I'm speaking specifically about the actress. She just does not have the air of authority that one needs to portray this character. The previous actress did a much better job handling and portraying someone in charge. As I have said in previous threads, send her to the island, perhaps she can do something useful there, plant crops perhaps. Just get her out of the command path, this actress, regardless of her looks which are totally irelevant, just can't play this part IMHO. And I believe that we've seen enough episodes to make this observation, more won't change anything.
            I respectfully disagree. Just re-watched SG-1 7x21 and 7x22, and while Jessica Steen did a nice job, I find I definitely prefer Torri Higginson in the role as her tone of voice seems more commanding to me than Steen's. In fact, with each episode, I think she fits the role better and better. I still haven't warmed to the Weir character like I have to the other main characters but I trust that will come in time.
            To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
              I respectfully disagree. Just re-watched SG-1 7x21 and 7x22, and while Jessica Steen did a nice job, I find I definitely prefer Torri Higginson in the role as her tone of voice seems more commanding to me than Steen's. In fact, with each episode, I think she fits the role better and better. I still haven't warmed to the Weir character like I have to the other main characters but I trust that will come in time.
              I agree with the voice thing. I did think that Steen was better looking (aka eye candy), but what the hell does that have to do with anything.... lol

I am surprised I havent seen any Weir / Sheppard shipper posts... they seem to have a little "connection" going... I may have missed it though

Comment

Well, Weir is my fav. character of Atlantis followed by Sheppard and McKay.

And I think she is very beautifull.

Comment

I agree with all of your points, and I have to add this.

Jessica Steen was a great actress and played Weir well, except that I did not see her as a leader. Her scenes in Lost City (Part Two) seemed to lack the feel of a good leader. Aside from that she was good, but I feel that Torri is much better, I definately believe her as a leader, she most definately has that air about her.

Comment

At least Jessica has sex appeal.

Tori has neither sex appeal nor acting skills.

Comment

I don't know what's with all the Torri hate, I personally think she's a babe (I have a thing for brunette's) and that she's a good actress. I had no problem with Jessica Steen, but I think Torri stands out better at being a leader.

I have noticed that there is alot of negativity about the cast of Atlantis. Why? In my opinion, I think they are doing a great job of gelling so far and see big things for them as a team.
                      Last edited by Positively Kanyon; 08 August 2004, 11:13 PM.
                      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                        I have noticed that there is alot of negativity about the cast of Atlantis. Why? In my opinion, I think they are doing a great job of gelling so far and see big things for them as a team.
                        You know how it is... some people always have to see the glass "half-empty" and others see it as "half-full".
                        To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed
                          In my opinion, Torri is better suited to the part than Jessica Steen. Steen did well in the episodes but instead of coming off as a strong diplomat type, she acted more like a reporter than anything else. I also believe that the casting of Stargate Atlantis is great. Aside from Weir, you got Sheppard(sp?) who, while definitely not O'Neil, is definitely leadership material. Then there's Ford who, in my opinion is great. He is hilarious. I've heard some people say that they don't get the humor un SA, but it's not hard to miss. Dr. Beckett is definitely a major factor in the humor of the show. I don't know why but for some reason I keep wanting to call himm Scotty,lol. There's this great comraderie with Ford/Sheppard already. Then there's Teyla, who has been deemed by many a cheap version of Teal'c. Not true. Teyla's entire personality is different. Sure, there are a few similarities but nothing that would make here a clone. McKay is a riot! I can't not like him even after the dumb blonde comment in SG-1.

And about the Weir/Sheppard shipper. I can definitely see that there is something between them, but I believe Sheppard is more interested in Teyla. Perhaps this will develop into a love triangle. Wouldn't that be cool?

Comment

Originally posted by furry
                            At least Jessica has sex appeal.

Tori has neither sex appeal nor acting skills.
                            That really is a matter of opinion, isn't it? I mean, I don't find either woman "sexy". I could tell you how they look different, but not whether or not either is or isn't "sexy". Besides, what does that have to do with whether or not one would think that Weir is an effective leader or character?

That's really a rhetorical question. I suppose there are some out there who need to have their television characters "sexy" in order to be believable or whatever. It's just my opinion that that is not a valid argument, defense or criticism of a character in the context of this particular show. This isn't Sex and the City of Atlantis, is it?
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Thor
                              I agree with the voice thing. I did think that Steen was better looking (aka eye candy), but what the hell does that have to do with anything.... lol

I am surprised I havent seen any Weir / Sheppard shipper posts... they seem to have a little "connection" going... I may have missed it though
                              Oh trust me...Weir/Sheppard shippers are out there...I just don't think they spoken up yet! lol I'm one!

Now back to the topic lol!

I like both Jessica Steen & Tori Higginson! Orignally I liked Steen much better...but that was after having seen Lost City like...a gazillion times! Then as I watched New Order I didn't really like the "new" Weir...I disagree with any actor changes in most shows I find it strange...

But now that I've been watching Atlantis I'd like to say, I 've warmed up to her! And I like her more than Steen now! I don't think Steen would fit in with the Atlantis cast...Tori does a much etter job of fitting in with that then I think Steen could have

Then again I could be wrong!

Personally I like Weir...all forms of her!

RDA: "I dunno that much about Pete to be honest with you. Apprently he's no threat to O'Neill!"

SAM AND JACK FOREVER

My Sam & Jack Fan Fics

Comment

Working...
                              X