Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lack of high-ranking officers (Rising Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lack of high-ranking officers (Rising Spoilers)

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but does it strike anyone else as odd that they only sent one Colonel and one Major to Atlantis? So, with the Colonel now dead, in one of the greatest missions ever, one Major is in charge of the military side? Granted, it's more of a civilian mission and Weir is there. But still...seems like we would have sent some higher-ranking officers there...
    It's antithetical to my character and I don't like it on a fundamental level.

I thought that as well. Although I think they changed it so they don't just have a Colonel like O'neill. Meh

Comment

yeah it's wierd that they didn't have at lest Brig-Gen..but oh well Seppard is a cool Major and eveything is working out well...question is. can Wier promote Sheppard or anyone to the next stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
        yeah it's wierd that they didn't have at lest Brig-Gen..but oh well Seppard is a cool Major and eveything is working out well...question is. can Wier promote Sheppard or anyone to the next stage?
        I don't think it's that unusual. Generals, brigadier or otherwise, don't usually go on missions or expeditions. They're mostly behind-the-scenes co-ordinators and planners. Besides, I don't see any general willing to subordinate himself to a civilian, unless that civilian was the leader of a country, which Dr. Weir is not. Of course, a general could be ordered to go by the President but I think the writers just felt the power dynamic in Atlantis would be better with a colonel or major as the top military guy.

As for promoting Sheppard, I doubt she has the authority to do so, nor is it necessary at this stage.
        To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Plus they can't promote anybody.
          Do you think Weir can?
          "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

No, Weir isn't in the miltary. She has no business promoting or demoting people. The most she can do is get everyone to agree that someone has to go, and have that person offed.

As for the lack of high-ranking military officers... Don't you think they have more to worry about than the military infastructure? Heh.

Comment

Eh, the number of people on the expedition? I don't see why they need that many officers, at most they have a platoon, or a company of soldiers (I rather doubt the later). Senior officers aren't all that useful, what do you expect a general to do? The don't do missions. The bird colonel I figured, I'm a little surprised there wasn't at least one more major that was one of Sumner's people, but not really. I'd be surprised if there was more than a handful of comissioned officers on the entire expedition.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                No, Weir isn't in the miltary. She has no business promoting or demoting people. The most she can do is get everyone to agree that someone has to go, and have that person offed.

As for the lack of high-ranking military officers... Don't you think they have more to worry about than the military infastructure? Heh.
                Well, they have to do a lotta briefings and paperwork. Look at Gen. O'Neill. What do you think they gonna report when they get home? Of course they gonna have to handle in some files

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

They really don't need military personnel if they find some hot Ancient weapons. Anyone can think "KILL!"

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                    They really don't need military personnel if they find some hot Ancient weapons. Anyone can think "KILL!"
                    REally? But does everybody have the right gene?

Comment

REally? But does everybody have the right gene?
                      If that gene theropy goes well, and with the whole, small, number of ppls they've got on expedition...I'd say everone has the gene by now...ofcourse ppls themselfes have to agree

Comment

I thought about the expedition size. I don't know how things things usually work. But if it warranted a Colonel, wouldn't there have been a Lt. Col. or two, and a few Majors? And that's just within one military institution...IIRC, Sumner was Marines, not Air Force.
                        It's antithetical to my character and I don't like it on a fundamental level.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamixoye
                          I thought about the expedition size. I don't know how things things usually work. But if it warranted a Colonel, wouldn't there have been a Lt. Col. or two, and a few Majors? And that's just within one military institution...IIRC, Sumner was Marines, not Air Force.
                          But the entire expedition isn't military. They have what, 100, 200 people, and not all of them military. That doesn't warrent that many commissioned officers, period. Despite what we see on TV, there are many many more non-commisioned officers than commissioned.

After all, they are the ones that work for a living, not the gentilemen

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                            Don't think Weir can, but it would be a bit more likely that Sheppard
                            does.
                            Last edited by DAL SHAKKA MEL; 07 August 2004, 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

"There's a very fine line between not listening, and not careing. I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Comment

I wonder what reaction to General Hammond and O'Neill when they report that Colonel Sumner was killed by the Wraith. I was wondering why they cant use Zats to kill the Wraith if they had one.
                              Last edited by Elitenova; 07 August 2004, 06:13 PM. Reason: I just thought about something
                              sigpic
                              The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Working...
                              X