PDA

View Full Version : Flesh And Blood (1001)

Pages : 1 [2]

the fifth man
July 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Faced with the evil one, what can the Fluffster do???
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/FluffyfacesAdria.jpg

LMAO!!!:D Nice one.

Oranos
July 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think with the high powered weapons the Ori ships have, it takes a toll on their hyperspace engines, which is why it took them so long to arrive at Chul'lak, which they did know where it was (see, Avalon I & II, Origin, and The Fourth Horseman II) because they got it from Daniel's mind.

Mattathias

Actually, this was along my line of thought too. It's gotta have some sort of side effect running those weapons and shields. Though, was it just me or was their hyperspace window a bit wierd? Purple is the main color and we've even seen blue. The Ori, however, seemed to have like a frosted white...

Mattathias2.0
July 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
That would correlate with the Rings from Origin.

Mattathias

pyr0
July 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
ok, the big question - did anyone noticed that after the hatak hit the toilet ship, its (toilet ships) shield fluctuated (not shure about spelling)??? does it means if we throw a rock big enough then will it crack?
also - there was someone saying that toilet ship down on planet was floating - if you watch closer you can see that it's sitting on the ground because houses are at the level with the ship.
also a question - how did the ori find out so much about chulak in first place? i don't think they gathered all the intel using priors...

in any case - great episode, and a promising start for a season, same goes for sg-a.

esoap524
July 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Some things I liked:

Sam's concern for Daniel.

Cam jumping in to go with Teal'c and Br'tac, without any discussion, then Sam jumping in too, with discussion.

Sam's continued optimism.

Sam's "oh, boy" when the Odyssey (? did I get that right?) is coming for her, literally.

Kvasir, who's starting to remind me a little bit of Farscape's prissy Pilot (that's a good thing)

"It's supposed to be a sandwich."

The Cam/Sam handshake (aww...he missed her--no, not in a 'shippy way!)

Cameron's almost looking ill when he realizes how badly their asses were whumped. dude, I thought he was gonna cry! And rightfully so.

Vala telling Daniel to grab Adria and leave her behind.

Daniel telling Vala he's not going to leave her behind.

Just about everything between Vala and Daniel.

Adria, especially Adria part 2 (middle kid). Creepy evil but still a little kid so you kind of want to hug her too. Does she need some parenting, maybe?

The Tomin/Adria/Vala thing which pretty much is going to pit personal feelings against bigger realities of good vs evil (I like that).

Didn't like so much:

Emerson? How about a little emotion, eh? It's bad enough he's got the clunky exposition lines. Can he look a little concerned?

Chekov is likely toast.

DEM
July 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I really don't think there are enough people on Gateworld, or for that matter any fansite, to make a significant dent one way or the other.Not even with bots.

Shame not to be able to trust those polls to give even a rough guide to relative fan preference/opinion anymore. :zelenka26:

esoap524
July 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM
The Goa'uld were a huge part of 8 seasons and they didn't appear in every single episode, so I don't see why there can't be a break from the Ori as well. And, team together? Teal'c spent most of the episode on the Lucian ship. By himself (and by that I mean, without SG1) Daniel didn't show up on screen until about halfway through, spent most of his time with Vala (hope they mix it up, have all of them together, or if they split them up, have Daniel with someone other than Vala and vice versa at times) and didn't reunite with the rest of the team until the end. In fact, it wasn't until the end that every member of SG1 was in the same room. So, no, I didn't feel a warm rush of teammy goodness here.

Based on the previews, and the spoilers here, it looks like "Morpheus" is more of a team episode. Yep, the Ori-killing weapon is the catalyst for them to go off-world but it looks like the foe is not Ori at all.

And it appears Vala will be otherwise occupied in the next ep too so perhaps it will be more to your liking.

At the risk of getting chopped down, didn't "New Order" spend a good deal of time with the team split up? Sam was "dead" (and getting mind frelled, to use a Farscape term), Jack was frozen, Daniel was somewhere else, I think, and later joined Teal'c on the "Daniel Jackson". I know they re-grouped in part 2 but I think they were split up most of part one. It seems to me like that's part of the conflict--split up the team and watch them have to figure out how to get back together AND still fight the bad guys. I would think that just adds to the problem meter.

I thought this episode was pretty good. Not the best sci fi episode I've ever seen (that would either belong to Battlestar Galactica or Farscape) but I was entertained and interested, thought the acting was good, loved the dialogue/relationship between Vala and Daniel and liked the fact that the team didn't win right off the bat.

And for those who complain "too many Mitchell close-ups..." He is a pretty man! Bring it on ;) :cameron:

ETA: as for fan polls...eh, who cares? What will really count are ratings and whether those ratings support continuing the show. It's obviously not cheap--it looks to me like SGA, SG1 and Battlestar Galactica are all using the same CGI house, from the looks of those battles.

25SG-1fan
July 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM
As someone who really hated season 9, I loved this episode. The main reason I wasn't a fan of season 9 was Vala, but I have to say I loved her in this ep. She was funny but not over-the-top, and I hope the Adria(sp?) plotline will tone her down a little, because I think I could really love her character.

Favorite moment? When Sam and Teal'C insisted on coming in the hope of getting Daniel, because it definitely reminded me of how close these three people are.

And that was some pretty sweet flying on Cameron's part when he saved Sam.
I agree Redshirt, that is one of my fav scenes too.

I was at my first convention last week (shore leave) and got in on Amanda Tapping's talk, one of the things she mentioned was that she felt a lot of the team moments were missing from last year and she thinks this year is a little better with it, but still a lot of the moments will be looks and subtle moments between the original three cast members that are going to put in that closeness that I love to see between the teammates.

JanusAncient
July 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Obviously the Ori got plenty information, from Daniel's mind, but they are ascended beings, so it's very likely that they got much of their information by peeking in on the galaxy. I can't wait, for Morena Baccarin to take on the part of Adria.

binkpmmc
July 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Not even with bots.

Shame not to be able to trust those polls to give even a rough guide to relative fan preference/opinion anymore. :zelenka26:

shame too that those polls on the front page can be cheated by clearing cookies - let's see the real ratings and then get cocky about it either way - my guess is that a lot of the people who gave up on S9 didn't watch so the low numbers areen't higher because those people already stopped watching and just don't care anymore. S9s numbers on the GW polls did not reflect the drop in ratings that S9 experienced as they always showed higher numbers for the good on GW polls. BTW - careful what you wish for with regard to people who should stop watching - the fall in ratings from S8 to S9 wouldn't get me all uppity that's for sure . . . .

Skydiver
July 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Just a mod reminder that the topic is FLESH AND BLOOD, as in the episode, not other posters.

Dani347
July 16th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Okay, I have to ammend one reservation to the episode. I rewatched the beginning, and after Sam and Mitchell found out the other was alive, Sam mentioned the Korelev, and asked about Daniel and looked concerned. So he was mentioned before the second half of the episode by a member of SG1. (I know the ship captain did, but he doesn't count to me) I missed it the first time.

sg-22 medic
July 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Season ten seems to off to a good start. I Think that I'll get over all of the overly convienant escapes from the battle with the Ori. I was sort of hoping that a main character would have died, it would have added creditabilty to the Ori threat i think. Putting that aside the action was good and I like the plot development with Vala's daughter. It'll be intereting to see how that plays out.

DEM
July 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I rewatched the beginning, and after Sam and Mitchell found out the other was alive, Sam mentioned the Korelev, and asked about Daniel and looked concerned.And she did that hesitant, soft-spoken thing, too, didn't she? ("Daniel?") ;)

Dani347
July 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
And she did that hesitant, soft-spoken thing, too, didn't she? ("Daniel?") ;)

Yes, she did. That, and her reaction after hearing from him were big plusses. (Pluses?)

Still found the episode mediocre overall, but much better to hear concern about both missing team members.

esoap524
July 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, I have to ammend one reservation to the episode. I rewatched the beginning, and after Sam and Mitchell found out the other was alive, Sam mentioned the Korelev, and asked about Daniel and looked concerned. So he was mentioned before the second half of the episode by a member of SG1. (I know the ship captain did, but he doesn't count to me) I missed it the first time.

That's right--she asks Mitchell when Mitchell regains consciousness in the battered 302 (that's what it's called, right? Ships always confuse me). And Mitchell, I think, looks sick and says something to the effect of "he was on the ship."

I got the feeling that both of them were upset about the Daniel question--Mitchell didn't per se speak it but he sure looked upset; not much time to lament though, given that Carter had the immediately pressing need of getting out of space before she died, and Mitchell was dealing with saving her, as well as contemplating the general ass-whumping.

The response I thought was a bit odd was Emerson's "I'll take that as a 'no'" when Teal'c obviously comes under fire. Of course, I thought Emerson was a bit off during the entire thing.

I also liked Sam's "good news, Daniel's alive"; Teal'c and Mitchell exchanged some looks of satisfaction at that but I sure was waiting for "bad news, we're gonna die." ;)

Dani347
July 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM
That scene at the start took away my reservations about caring from the team. Sam asking, Mitchell remembering the ship exploding and remembering that Daniel was still on it (as far as he knew) I don't need wailing and gnashing of teeth (although, I wouldn't turn my nose up). Just concern at the right time. Meaning you can keep on the business at hand, and still take the time to ask about your teammates during that time. Sam and Mitchell finding out that the other one was alive, and being glad. Sam asking about Daniel. Mitchell asking Emmerson (?) about Teal'c, Sam asking about him in the infirmary, than checking on him when they beamed him up, Mitchell telling Sam that Daniel wasn't one of the people who beamed off the ship, but the rings were used. Mitchell and Kvasir (or, as Sam likes to call him, Sweetums;) ) working to get her back on. Sam saying that Daniel might be alive and her reaction. I'd say there was concern for each member. And, like I said, none of it seemed like it was done after the "important" stuff was out of the way, but was part of the important stuff. Good job on that front.

keshou
July 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Right. Now on to the characters themselves. And I think I'll start with everyone's favorite whipping boy.........Landry. Ah, ah, you thought I was going to say Mitchell, didn't you? Nope, I'll be needing a thicker switch to tan that boy's ass. All joking aside, what was up with Landry? His scene with Woolsey left me scratching my head. Smug much? Arrogant often? What moron finds out that the fleet he sent to defend the galaxy has been entirely wiped out with loss of life totaling in the thousands, only to snidely take a dig at the one sympathetic voice on the IOA? "Stupid Woolsey, quit offering reasonable suggestions. If you'd have thrown more money at the problem I could have fixed it." WTF? Please, tell me if I read the scene wrong. Because right now, I'm thinking that Landry is the biggest tool the SGC has seen since Gen. Bauer.
I thought that whole scene was a little strange as well. I was sitting there listening to Woolsey and though his suggestion wasn't that off the wall. When Landry took off with his whole "Did I say that out loud" thing, I was kind of shocked.

It was like they just decided to create a scene where Landry could be "tough as nails, not putting up with those politicians" but fell short of creating a good *reason* for him to be "tough as nails".

Weird....

Sela
July 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I thought that whole scene was a little strange as well. I was sitting there listening to Woolsey and though his suggestion wasn't that off the wall. When Landry took off with his whole "Did I say that out loud" thing, I was kind of shocked.

It was like they just decided to create a scene where Landry could be "tough as nails, not putting up with those politicians" but fell short of creating a good *reason* for him to be "tough as nails".

Weird....
Although I was tickled by the "Did I say that out loud" jab (having used it a number of times myself) the scene did feel a little off to me as well, but I'm not sure why. Landry is growing on me. I'm starting to like his occasional snarkiness.

the fifth man
July 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Although I was tickled by the "Did I say that out loud" jab (having used it a number of times myself) the scene did feel a little off to me as well, but I'm not sure why. Landry is growing on me. I'm starting to like his occasional snarkiness.

Personally, I've loved his "snarkiness" all along. Beau Bridges, IMO, is doing a wonderful job as the new General in charge of the SGC.:) Last season, I loved his "putz" comments. They always made me laugh.

Sela
July 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Personally, I've loved his "snarkiness" all along. Beau Bridges, IMO, is doing a wonderful job as the new General in charge of the SGC.:) Last season, I loved his "putz" comments. They always made me laugh.
The 'putz' comments were great. :) I think I'm liking him more because the whole father/daughter angst thing hasn't shown up in a while. Here's hoping it will stay that way.

Dani347
July 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Okay, now that one of my main concerns was taken care of, I want to say I didn't have a problem with Mitchell flying the ship and getting Sam on board. First, it wasn't singlehandedly (Kvasir was right there helping Snookums -his name, not mine) and even if it would have made more sense for Emmerson or someone else on the ship, I'd rather see one of the main cast, or at most an important recurring member (Bra'tac, Janet, or Jacob would count -and yes, I'm fully aware that Janet and Jacob are dead, I'm using them as examples of important recurring characters). Emmerson doesn't count, imo, so given the choice between an actual cast member and some guy in charge of a ship (also biased against the whole spaceship thing) I'll take the main cast member. And, I liked how Mitchell acted, and I would be the same way if I were in Sam's position. You know, without the whole knowing potential dangers to the plan. I'd basically be "please save me, oh crap, hope it works, please save me, oh crap hope it works." But, other than that, I think I'd be just like Sam.

gkyun
July 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Nice season opener. Just a couple of things that bugged me:

What happened to Kvasir's ship? If she survived the initial attack couldn't Kvasir just beam Sam aboard, saving all the trouble?

And isn't that supergate supposed to be active? I thought you could maintain an open wormhole indefinitely?

captain jake
July 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Nice season opener. Just a couple of things that bugged me:

What happened to Kvasir's ship? If she survived the initial attack couldn't Kvasir just beam Sam aboard, saving all the trouble?

And isn't that supergate supposed to be active? I thought you could maintain an open wormhole indefinitely?

Kvasirs ship was destroyed if memory serves.

Yes I thought it could as well the Ori must have shut it off for a reason.

TheJanitor24
July 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Flesh and Blood, the first episode in the tenth season of SG-1, wow. Ten seasons is a long time for a television show to be on the air, of course, for me, I've only been watching this show since the start of the eight season. Before then I tried to get into the older episodes but I couldn't-I didn't understand them and they seemed boring. I believe they were Bane and 2010. But I didn't give up on it and I watched both the eighth season premiere and the pilot for Atlantis-I loved both of them and I bought all of the seasons up to them and have been watching at least an episode a day since. Flesh and Blood was a mixed bag for me, on one side-it kept me entertained and thrilled and had my eyes wide open the entire episode. On the other hand, it wasn't my favorite episode. When I sat down to watch it, I had been waiting four months to the most shocking episode on SG-1 I had seen in a while. It is definitely in my top five favorite episodes (Lost City, Full Circle, Camelot, Threads, and Fallen/Homecoming). As I was saying, when I sat down to watch it, I was expecting this episode to top Camelot, well, although I was a little dissapointed, I was still surprised. I enjoyed this episode-in my opinion, if you think about it, this story arc played out exactly like the first season-four episodes, the first they find out something very important, the second goes another way but is still involved, and the third and fourth tie them both together with some new stuff. Except with the conclusion in the second season premiere-they won. I am not sure I like the idea that there is absolutely no hope for winning, even though I trust Rob's writing-plus I love it! He is my absolute favorite writer on SG-1 and well, anything-he's awesome!!! Anyways, even though I trust his writing, I really hope they can find a way out of the Ori. I do have to say, the special effects in this episode were mind-blowing, they didn't stop! Those new smaller ships look really cool. The acting and humor in this episode were superb, as usual. One of my biggest dissapointments in this episode was that after seeing a split second of it in Crusade, I really wanted to see the Ori warriors in action-maybe it was just me. Other than slight dissapointments, the only problem with the episode I thought was that it went way too fast-Bra'tac had a huge part in this episode, but it was done so quickly that you didn't even know why he was going to do it. Overall, it was a great episode, definitely top ten, but wasn't as good as Camelot.

Sheppard
July 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM
yeah the ori shut it off but im sure it still has heaps of power. im sure the ori ships are capible of dialing the supergate and im sure more ships will come

Pitry
July 17th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Ah, that was a lovely season opener. So we keep on losing. Good. The biggest disappointment I could have got from the episode would have been SG1 finding their magical way of getting the Orii ships out of this galaxy and/ or destroying the Supergate. Or some such.

I have to admit, tho, that was as much as a "within the box" Stargate season-opener as has been in a while. It mostly reminded me of Enemies, TBH. But I guess they had to cut out a lot of scenes out of it, and had quite a lot of hanging issues to tie - no, I don't mind last year's storylines being thrown into this year. I'd rather it be one big story rather than a bunch of fractured small ones. But it did seem to be a bit over-done in the explosion departments. You don't have to have something blowing up every 4 seconds. Really.

Yat! Vala's back. And she's not over the top. Yeah, I'd be looking forward to seeing Adria again.
Mitchell piloting the Odyssey (I have to learn how to spell that, sigh.) - er, yes, that was odd. Couldn't he have just stood in the background and give the orders? Even if he does have experience - and there's nothing to suggest he does - it can't be that big an experience. Marks is way more experienced than he is and should be the one doing these delicate manoeuvres. (Yay! Marks survived!)
...Er, why does the Lucian Alliance think USAF ranks go like Star TRek ones? "Captain"... he clearly identified himself as "Colonel Emerson", methinks. As for Carter, poor her, getting stuck in space! It was however, mildly amusing to have her go "if anyone can here me..." Sorry, I'm just amused by that sort of stuff.
But it does earn, I think, the oddest rescue-up ever.
Speaking of Carter, I just loved the bit about "You don't know him as much as we do" when they join up with Bra'tac and Teal'c with the hope of saving Daniel. A true team moment - and quite the compensation for brushing those moments at different times. I mainly felt that from Sam, tho, both that moment and the moment when she asks Mitchell what happened to Daniel. I guess my problem with the Mitchell bits (later on) are the reason for my problems with team-reunions in the episode - so much doom'n'gloom that he didn't feel as if he cared.

The "let's save Teal'c from the Lucian Alliance" plot was, however, rather... I dunno. Useless? What was the point? Other than saying, "No, the Lucian Alliance isn't going to be working with us after all!" - there could have been a couple of exchanges in that spirit without all that plot. They should have either integrated them more deeply into the story, or dropped the whole thing. However, it did give us the bit of Teal'c fighting his arm-sling. Priceless.

So ringing is how Daniel got onboard the Orii ship! I was wondering about that. And I have to say, the bloke is slowly growing into my vocabulary. Last year it was "yay", this year "uber"? ;) I liked the way they kept on playing with the "Daniel dead" card, tho it did feel as if it was resolved too soon. And Daniel and Vala... bwaha. Vala's "I always thought my dad's experience was tainted by me".. (cough, and Daniel's "There more I get to know you, the more I understand!") And of course, the "Only a few hours!" line and my winning quote of the episode, "And as your mother, there will be no leading these armies in a mass-murdering crusade, or else."

What I didn't like so much is Mithcell's doom'n'gloom. I know it was a big hit. I know they're all miserable. But while he did the "I'm miserable, we're losing, we're all gonna die" very well, the bits that should have cheered him up - saving Sam, Daniel's being alive, them getting out of it in one piece, more or less - he just brushed them by and got back to his gloom. I thought they spent some time playing with the fact Mitchell doesn't give up last season? That he would find the hope, rather than sit here and go, yay, my team survived, but we're gonna die anyway so what's the point? Oh, sigh. Maybe they felt Vala's too much on the optimistic side and they need someone to compensate? I dunno, but it felt off. I know the show goes on a darker route - I have no problem with it, I definitely enjoy it more than the "we win every time" show. However, there's going to be enough doom and gloom without Mitchell giving up so fast.

Another interesting point - I guess that's back to last year's Prototype - Daniel's cold resolution if "we should have killed Adria when we had the chance." T'was definitely in character... just made me think of how much he changed over the years.

The Ancient rulebook does seem to be a bit obscure, however. I hope they'll address the subject a bit in future episodes.

All in all, amusing. :)

Dani347
July 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
And I have to say, the bloke is slowly growing into my vocabulary. Last year it was "yay", this year "uber"? ;)
Uber is a good word. Use it as often as possible.

What I didn't like so much is Mithcell's doom'n'gloom. I know it was a big hit. I know they're all miserable. But while he did the "I'm miserable, we're losing, we're all gonna die" very well, the bits that should have cheered him up - saving Sam, Daniel's being alive, them getting out of it in one piece, more or less - he just brushed them by and got back to his gloom.

I didn't see doom and gloom. I saw seriousness and getting back to business. But, I think he did seem happy when he was visiting Sam, and even made a small joke about the no sweat (or perspiration) thing. No big exuberant behavior, but I saw relief and happiness there. And, the way Sam told him "the good news" was Daniel was alive pretty much said that there was also some bad news that had to be taken care of. I didn't mind him giving a quick halleluiah and going on to the next thing, especially with Sam's reaction also.

Captain Reynolds
July 17th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I think at the end of this episode that SG-1 and crew are how shall we say ****ed. and if they don't do something quick to get on the offensive or hold the line against the Ori **** will hit the fan I really hope we see them do something like this. Also there is talk of a really controversial arc for daniel I hope they tie this into the fact that he did not shoot Adria when he had the chance and he feels responsible I think it woul dbe awesome.

duffarama
July 17th, 2006, 02:03 AM
The change in Teal'c hair was a bit too obvious for me. Couldn't Chris Judge had wore a wig or something and than unveil his new hair-do in a future episode or are we supposed to believe that giving Teal'c a weird haircut was part of the torture process by the Lucian Alliance?
That has got to go down as one of the most hilarious posts at GateWorld, and I totally agree with it. Hopefully there is an explanation down the track as to why Teal'c hair now suddenly looks like the rear-end of a baby camel. (did I say that out loud? <quote Landry>) LOL! :D

Sheppard
July 17th, 2006, 03:16 AM
That has got to go down as one of the most hilarious posts at GateWorld, and I totally agree with it. Hopefully there is an explanation down the track as to why Teal'c hair now suddenly looks like the rear-end of a baby camel. (did I say that out loud? <quote Landry>) LOL! :D

that would of been something landry would say

scarimor
July 17th, 2006, 06:01 AM
My first impressions of the episode:

Things I liked:

the space battle special effects are much improved from last season. They have got some fluid and occasionally imaginative movement in the spaceships now. Cameron's escape from the Korolev, and the collision between Bratac's ship and the Ori ship were particularly well done.

Vala's scenes with her child were good - though perhaps we had one too many. I like CB's handling of the dialogue.

Sam's "Oh boy..." when she's about to be picked up.

Cameron's "sandwich" moment with Kvasir.

The sense that Sam, Daniel, Teal'c (and to some extent Vala) care about whether each other are alive. (note: I did not get this sense from Cameron - though he did muster urgency for Sam's space-walk).

AT and MS did as much with their roles as they could.

MS looks cool in Ori armour and AT is as pretty as ever.

Adria has potential.

Things I didn't like:

The episode plodded. Something went wrong with the pacing of episodes in season 9, and it hasn't been fixed. A lot of the dialogue is uninspiring and the cutting between scenes was very off; it felt both incohorent and sedentary (which is a weird combination!)

Teal'c was the punch bag again. The last time he was obligatory stoic torture-victim in Stronghold there were several voices saying enough already. Whump someone else.

BB was unconvincing; e.g. I got no sense that Cameron meant it when he said that he'd fight to his dying breath. (that said, I prefer this rigid-jawed, serious version of Cameron to last season's careless one).

Too many split-second beam-outs to the rescue.

Sheppard
July 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM
i totally agree

Lokii
July 17th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I thought it was a very good episode, but have reservations on how strong they made the Ori. I think they were made a little too strong.

Annubis' hitman
July 17th, 2006, 07:12 AM
This was a great episode the only things that bugged me were

1.What happened to Kvasir's ship?
Did it get blown up or did it survive.

2.Is Colonel Kechov dead. They said some members of the Korvelof ,or however you spell it, survived.

All in all great episode though.

Pitry
July 17th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Uber is a good word. Use it as often as possible.

Oooh, yeah. Definitely. :D

I didn't see doom and gloom. I saw seriousness and getting back to business. But, I think he did seem happy when he was visiting Sam, and even made a small joke about the no sweat (or perspiration) thing. No big exuberant behavior, but I saw relief and happiness there. And, the way Sam told him "the good news" was Daniel was alive pretty much said that there was also some bad news that had to be taken care of. I didn't mind him giving a quick halleluiah and going on to the next thing, especially with Sam's reaction also.

I know - and agree - the situation was dire and seemed hopeless. But that's the thing -it's hopeless as long as you ignore exactly those things. They did rescue Sam. They did save Teal'c. Daniel was alive. So these are the little moments that are there - at least, for me - to show the hope, to show that there isn't just doom and gloom and that they haven't given up yet. I saw it in Sam's reaction, all the way. And in Teal'c. But I didn't get that vibe from Mitchell - yes, I know they were busy when they got the news about Daniel, but - especially that halleluja, it sounded (to me, at least) more like "yeah, yeah, get on with it to more important business, what now." Since I don't believe he doesn't care about Daniel living or dying, I got the impression from him he felt too depressed and desperate to be able to feel some joy.
The scene with Sam - yes, you're right, and he did make that small joke - but it felt humourless. Maybe it's because the scene was very short - I dunno. But once again, I got the impression there's no real joy that a good friend of his is alive, and because I do know he cares about Sam I'm left concluding it's because he feels it's only temporary - we're all going to die anyway, so we just bought some more hours. But that's just me...
The truth is I wouldn't have minded that much if he started going with the doom and gloom attitude - if it would have been consistent with season 9. But in season 9 I got the impression Cameron Mitchell is a person who has hope, and that he is seeing the better side of the situation, not the worst. So it came of... off.

Dani347
July 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Whump someone else.

And, I have your perfect, bespectacled, speed talking, victim right here. Lets get back to whumping the right guy. MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

oragans
July 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM
i thought would give it a go, you most probably won't like it but hey.

Flesh And Blood is the conclusion to season nines cliffhanger entitled Camelot, this episode shows how each of the members of SG1 escape death and survive. This is also the debut of the fantastic character Adrian, who is the daughter of Vala and the Ori. The episode displays the power of the enemy SG1 are against and the relationship between mother and daughter, what shocked me was how good the two actresses playing the character of Adrian were, i liked the way they designed the contacts on there eyes because if you change the eyes you seem take away there appearance of being human. I thought that Claudia Black did a great job in this episode, as we got to see another side of her character that is more mature and she still manages to make me laugh. The one character i did not like was that of the prior, the fact he was the actor was same guy in season nines Ethon which i felt everytime i see him i think "thats the guy from ethon", i don't mind them using same actors but i feel that they're should be certain amount of time in between or else it cheapens the show and because i did not feel that same level of superiority about the prior than those previously and the sad thing is i feel that we will be seeing more of him this season.
The special effects in this episode was the better than most episode of stargate, i am rarely shocked these days by special effects due to them always being the same, but this episode looked amazing and there were simply too many great scenes to name, i was really glad that they manage to get the scale of the smaller right to make the Ori ships look Gigantic which seem to be a flaw in the Jaffa motherships. This episode truly shows off how great the production for this show is as they wasn't a single flaw in terms special effects, costume and especially the how they made the interior of the Ori Ships which added a real religous feel to it. The only flaw i can point out would be in the storyline would be Bra'tac going on a suicide mission and Cameron beaming him away (how corny does that sound), i felt that it made a wise and intelligent character like Bra'tac look stupid. But if this was the foundation for a plot for the season then this would be kind of interesting, if not then it was a waste of tv time. The biggest problem in terms of script was that we didn't seem to see enough of daniel which i understand because i believe that someone had to be sacrificed in terms of line as this was about the Ori making there mark and best way to do this was to use the closest thing to them Adrian and Vala. The chemistry between them as mother and daughter was great and the fact that Adrian desires her mothers approval is great. Though i didn't like the fact that when Vala was saying that she named her after someone she didn't like because i wish we had saw some more desire for her to make her child be good, but maybe that was just me.
Overall this episode did what i would hope it would do and that is to start a bunch of stories for the new season and that to me was the greatest thing about this episode and i love how this whole story arc is related in someway to our problem in the world today, with the whole idea of people trying force there religion upon others. This episode has started the new
season off on a high and showing that even though its in its tenth season it seems like it is only in its second.
Rating of **** out of 5

Kanten
July 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Weird....

I've so far been bugged by one little logistical error in Landry's response. He claimed that with a ship, it would take at least three weeks to move the ZPM back to Earth. Has he not been keeping up with the Atlantis expedition much, because I clearly remember they were able to get the thing to Atlantis in just four days by using it to boost the 304's engines. Did he forget about this detail among his little rant?

WhatFateAlmondRoca
July 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by golfbooy
Right. Now on to the characters themselves. And I think I'll start with everyone's favorite whipping boy.........Landry. Ah, ah, you thought I was going to say Mitchell, didn't you? Nope, I'll be needing a thicker switch to tan that boy's ass. All joking aside, what was up with Landry? His scene with Woolsey left me scratching my head. Smug much? Arrogant often? What moron finds out that the fleet he sent to defend the galaxy has been entirely wiped out with loss of life totaling in the thousands, only to snidely take a dig at the one sympathetic voice on the IOA? "Stupid Woolsey, quit offering reasonable suggestions. If you'd have thrown more money at the problem I could have fixed it." WTF? Please, tell me if I read the scene wrong. Because right now, I'm thinking that Landry is the biggest tool the SGC has seen since Gen. Bauer.

Yeah, I agree that scene seemed weird. Here's how I took it: I didn't see Landry's ire directed AT Woolsey, I saw him as putting down the IOA to Woolsey's face. The dialog didn't insult Woolsy - it insulted the IOA. After all, Woolsey isn't responsible for the IOA people's salaries. Which makes the outrage all the more strange - I agree that Woolsey is more sympathetic than the rest and an elbow nudge along with a "you know how it is with these bureaucratic suits" kind of look might have worked better, especially given the timing of the scene that you point out - right after we get our bums whumped by the Ori.

That's just how I took the scene.

Nolamom
July 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Still, what's happening on Chulak? Slaughter or conversion? Fluffy and Vala confront Adria...
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/FluffyandValaconfrontAdria.jpg

Ace
July 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I've so far been bugged by one little logistical error in Landry's response. He claimed that with a ship, it would take at least three weeks to move the ZPM back to Earth. Has he not been keeping up with the Atlantis expedition much, because I clearly remember they were able to get the thing to Atlantis in just four days by using it to boost the 304's engines. Did he forget about this detail among his little rant?

No... I don't think he forgot, I think he assumed you wouldn't want to use what little power the ZPM had left after transporting it to Atlantis in 4 days, using it again to fend off an attack from the Wraith, using it several times to cloak Atlantis, using it once again to transport it back to Earth in 4 days and then using it again to defend Earth with the drones.

He was thinking that that you didn't want to waste any unnecessary energy. Which means then that it would have taken 3 weeks to get Earth.

Hope that helps explain it...

Ace

scarimor
July 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I agree that scene seemed weird. Here's how I took it: I didn't see Landry's ire directed AT Woolsey, I saw him as putting down the IOA to Woolsey's face. The dialog didn't insult Woolsy - it insulted the IOA. After all, Woolsey isn't responsible for the IOA people's salaries. Which makes the outrage all the more strange - I agree that Woolsey is more sympathetic than the rest and an elbow nudge along with a "you know how it is with these bureaucratic suits" kind of look might have worked better, especially given the timing of the scene that you point out - right after we get our bums whumped by the Ori.

That's just how I took the scene.
However, this scene continued the theme by which they're building up Woolsey into a potential ally for the SGC. He started out as a thorn in their side, but after his experiences in The Scourge and his conversations with Carter, he's moving towards a more sympathetic stance. The expression on his face after Landry said his "out loud" piece was not shocked or antagonistic - it was more like embarrassed and a "yeah, I kind of have to agree with you" or "I know where you're coming from" kind of look.

WhatFateAlmondRoca
July 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM
However, this scene continued the theme by which they're building up Woolsey into a potential ally for the SGC. He started out as a thorn in their side, but after his experiences in The Scourge and his conversations with Carter, he's moving towards a more sympathetic stance. The expression on his face after Landry said his "out loud" piece was not shocked or antagonistic - it was more like embarrassed and a "yeah, I kind of have to agree with you" or "I know where you're coming from" kind of look.

Yep, I agree with your assessment of Woolsey's reaction - which still makes me shake my head at Landry a la golfbooy. The scourge seemed to be pivotal for the Woolsey character - I really like having Robert Picardo in Stargate.

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
July 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Daniel's wish that he had shot Adria is an interesting look at his character. This is not the Daniel of old. His oh-so-Daniel-like hesitation cost them, but the fact that he even mentioned wishing that he had shot Adria shows the desperation of the situation. Honestly, this is the guy who cried over a robot five seasons ago, and now he's willing to shoot what is in form, a human girl.
He has changed a lot. At first I didn't like it because it almost took away a lot of the things that made him my favorite character. But now, I think I've gotten used to it more. That doesn't mean I like it, but I don't mind it as much. I hope he doesn't change too much and get too crazy. (that's what Cam's for :D)

Anyway, getting a little OT there...

Over all, I did enjoy the episode (it actually doesn't take much for me to enjoy this show :D), but there were a few things I didn't like about it. For one thing, it felt... strange, somehow. I can't place it, maybe it was the fact that the team was spread around for too much of it and not together enough, or maybe how much daniel has changed, I don't know. Something just didn't feel right, didn't feel completely... Stargate. Then again, it hasn't really felt totally Stargate since Jack left, not that I have anything against Cam, I rather like him (the "crazy" aspect is probably my favorite part of him), but this episode felt even more different.

I know I'm not being very specific and in effect making this post rather useless, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

July 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
And, I have your perfect, bespectacled, speed talking, victim right here. Lets get back to whumping the right guy. MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
LOL Really. :jack_new_anime06:

Mattathias2.0
July 17th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I am going to go over the data over who and how they survived the destruction of the Korry.
1. Daniel - he got out via rings in a weak part of the shield.
2. Mitchell - managed to get into an f302 and blasted out right before it exploded.

However, from the Korry Black Box that 5 people beamed out before it exploded. My question is: Who? and Where?

Also, was the Black Box black?

Mattathias

WhatFateAlmondRoca
July 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by starfox
Daniel's wish that he had shot Adria is an interesting look at his character. This is not the Daniel of old. His oh-so-Daniel-like hesitation cost them, but the fact that he even mentioned wishing that he had shot Adria shows the desperation of the situation. Honestly, this is the guy who cried over a robot five seasons ago, and now he's willing to shoot what is in form, a human girl.

Yeah, I find I can't quite get my head around the whole Daniel thing. You know what flashed into my mind when he was aiming at Adria's head was back in Children of the Gods when he exterminated a whole whack of Goa'uld symbiotes. Sam tells him not to because that will make him no better than a Goa'uld but then he does it anyway and she gives him quite the look. And then during Prototype, didn't he want to kill Kalik?

And then there's the crying over the robot - makes me go hmmm.

Mattathias2.0
July 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
...and yet no one mentions Absolute Power.

Mattathias

Dani347
July 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I look at it differently. Daniel didn't want to kill Khalek. He felt that it was necessary to kill Khalek. I mentioned this in the Daniel thread, but to me an example of Daniel wanting to kill someone (having the desire to kill)would be Apophis in Serpent's Song. That was Daniel wanting to kill. Way darker than pragmatically sizing up a situation and feeling that eliminating the threat is the only way. But, Daniel has always been look for another way provided he thinks there is another way. I don't see this as different from Daniel at all. He's never been for blind pacifism.

the dancer of spaz
July 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just wanted to chime in and agree with the assessment that the Landry/Woolsey scene made Landry look more like a doofus than anything.

And I like Robert Picardo on the series, too, WFAR. ;)

Daniel's desire to shoot the girl... It's definitely not in line with The Daniel of Old, and that's unfortunate. Daniel can't be the understanding, transparent, moral base anymore for some reason. I don't know why. I mean, if he isn't, who WILL be?

But I think that's all in line with the beefing up of all of the male characters.

By Atlantis' 100th episode, McKay will have abs of steel. Mark my words.

jree
July 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Very good episode.
Cam is better.
Sam's rescue, at first I thought it was a little farfeched but:
1. Sam was in a space suit. So it would have been hard to get her in Cam's F-302.
2. Cam didn't have a spacesuit and was not even using an oxygen mask when he was in his F-302 so if he tried to save sam, he would have to hope that sam could hold on to the fighter all the way back to the Oddyssey. Otherwise she is not getting into the cockpit.
3. Cam has to save sam by using the Oddyssey, since he is a pretty good pilot, allegedly, it may be his reasoning that he would take the responsibility for rescuing Sam himself.

Thus the scene is very enjoyable from my point of view.

Nolamom
July 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Sam to bridge - coming in for docking....
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/A10.jpg

Daniel's_twin
July 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I absolutely loved that scene. There was humor, there was suspense as to "is he gonna be able to pull this off without crushing her?" When he took the controls, I knew what Cam was gonna do and I sided with Carter. I couldn't believe he was going to use the ship as a giant butterfly net. But, Cam pulled it off. :cameronanime10: :cool:

psumetguy2008
July 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I think it was a very good episode, though it felt less like a season opener and more like the second half of a midseason two parter. I really wish this was like a 90 minute episode with more action...at minimum....than what we got. But, what can you do.

Adria is a great dynamic to the show, I can't wait to see what the next encounter between her and Vala will be like

Vala was also great in this episode, and I think she will be a wonderful addition for the rest of the season if they keep her at this level.

The Ori warriors remind me too much of kull warrior uniforms...only more bluish in color. Can we get a different design please?

I like the Ori ship, but I wish they would get away from this "there only needs to be one light in the entire ship!" idea.

Not much else to say right now except I hope they close the supergate soon and I can't wait for next week's episode! This will be a great season!

jckfan55
July 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to chime in and agree with the assessment that the Landry/Woolsey scene made Landry look more like a doofus than anything.

Daniel's desire to shoot the girl... It's definitely not in line with The Daniel of Old, and that's unfortunate. Daniel can't be the understanding, transparent, moral base anymore for some reason. I don't know why. I mean, if he isn't, who WILL be?

But I think that's all in line with the beefing up of all of the male characters.

LOL!
The Landry scene felt to me like "oops, we forgot to write a scene for Beau this week."

Nolamom
July 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Fluffy the Destroyer does his stuff...
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/Fluffydoeshisstuff.jpg

CYBEREAGLE19
July 17th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I really enjoyed this episode, I think one thing I enjoyed the most where those ori fighters, probly are best chance of seeing an ancient fighter, had more space battles and whats whit the lucian allience are theay stupid or something,

Fargater
July 17th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I think it was a fairly good episode. The opening with Mitchell was very nice. Very grim which set the tone for the show. Mitchell was a lot more serious than we've seen him Not sure if that's good or bad. Vala was more toned down. That's definately a good thing. I almost like her now. Sam - where were you? Missed her pulling a solution out of the air. Teal'c - love the hair.
Like serious Mitchell, like toned-down Vala. Also love Teal`c`s hair. I didn`t notice Sam not pulling a solution out of the air. I did notice that Daniel didn`t appear for like almost half the episode, but there was no suspense to me there, was more like when will he show up rather than will he show up.

Loved seeing 'Brae' again. Always a pleasure to see him and Teal'c together. I was thrown off a bit by him wanting to make a suicide run. That didn't soound like him at all. Also as someone said before, I'm surprised he didn't deck Mitchell for getting in the way of that. Wonder how that relationship is going to play out. Will Brae ever trust him again? Will Teal'c? Hmmm...interesting.
Yeah, that bothered me too about Bratac`s suicidal thing. When the writers come to their senses maybe they`ll have him thank Mitchell for stopping him. Or maybe they`ll try to pretend it didn`t happen. I don`t think it`s going to be a trust issue. Could even be a bonding thing if Bratac sees it as more sensible to live than die there. But he shouldn`t need Mitchell to point that out to him either. Oh well. It just shouldn`t have happened. Mitchell could have slapped that thing on him as a "just in case" thing, heck, they should have just issued one to Bratac without it being a secret I`m-gonna-save-you-in-spite-of-yourself thing for Mitchell to do. Bratac could have set his ship to ram the other one when that seemed the last option but after their guys were in position to beam them out. That would have been better than him going on about suicide runs and being stupid just to give Mitchell something "clever" to do.

I would have liked to see more about the child, her development and the effect that it had on Vala and those around her. It seemed to me that Vala got used to the idea of her growing faster pretty quickly. I'm sorry, but I think the whole maternal instinct thing is overplayed in sci-fi. No women I know, myself included, would feel too maternal about being used as an alien incubator. And every time the kid grew a size, I would at least be startled (more like freaked all the way out) as opposed to taking it in stride and trying to scold it for wanting it to destroy humanity. :) I do have to give much credit to whoever cast the youngest of the girls - she was amazing. Creeped me right out. All of the girls were very good, but the youngest really set the tone. Makes me really want to see more of her later.
This got me thinking. I agree with what you say. It is pretty creepy and should freak a mother out for the kid to grow so fast. The only defense I can offer is maybe it`s not that unheard-of to Vala. Maybe she`s seen more alien species that have accelerated growth either naturally or artificially so even if it`s not normal for humans she can sort of wrap her mind around it faster than you or I might. Even so, sci-fi may overplay the maternal instinct thing a bit. Also they were moving things along quickly so they didn`t give Vala a lot of time to stand there slack-jawed and freaking. Maybe it was good to have Vala just absorb it and try to just go on from there and try to convert the kid. Shows her as a strong and resourceful type. Her ability to joke in such dire circumstances also worked for me. She didn`t come across as flippant to me anyway.

I also think I agree about wanting to see more of her development and how it affected Vala and "those around her". Do you mean the followers of the Ori or those around Vala, as in SG-1? I was thinking when I first read this that her development could have made a show on its own. It might have been neat to explore her understanding or perception of what she is and what the Ori are to her and the universe and maybe have her discuss/debate all the issues with Vala and whoever in different ways as she matures. But maybe that would have been too much for one ep, and it was just as effective to get her creepy Ori propaganda in the doses we did. We got the point anyway, she`s one of THEM, and MAYbe Vala will have some sway in turning her to the good side. Or not.

Daniel did well this episode. I, for one, thought it was entirely in character for Daniel to want to take out the child. Daniel has been through a lot in these last ten years. He's learned a lot and seen a lot and he's grown a lot. I believe he's still the moral center of the team, but we have to remember that we're not talking about a human child. She's an enemy weapon. We're talking a creature designed to do one thing - destroy humanity. I understand Daniel feeling like they need to take her out while they still can. Sometimes, it has to be done and he was in the position to do it, so he needed to take his best shot. Not a popular opinion, I know, but I am a Jack O'Neill fan. :jack: You do what needs to be done.
Amen. Yeah, Daniel`s definitely more pragmatic.

Loved the set design, the lighting and the abundance of color on the Ori ship. Very rich looking set, lots of detail, loved the costumes. Vala was gorgeous - that's her look. Much more so than the dominatrix leather outfits.
"dominatrix leather outfits" :jack_new_anime06:
I agree, like the new look.

Loved the design of the Ori ships. Much more of an elegant design than the ships we've seen in SG-1 so far.

Overall, I give it an seven out of ten.

Fargater
July 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
From SciFi's blog by Alex Levine: "Here’s a little known fact about this show: the youngest of the children who plays Adria (the Orici) is none other than Robert C. Cooper’s daughter, Emma. She replaced a young actress who gave a great audition but froze on the day of the shooting."
Thanks for that info. Cool!

Fargater
July 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I thought this was a fairly good season opener although not on par with some of my favorites over the years (Enemies, Small VIctories, Serpent's Lair)). A little draggy in places.

The good:
* Mitchell. I like this Mitchell! A little more seasoned, more serious about what they were facing.
* Vala. Really liked her in this one. Toned her down, yet they kept her street smarts and snarkiness. She recognizes BS when she hears it and is always thinking.
* Adria. Liked her way more than I thought I would. I was sufficiently creeped out by all three versions (I thought the middle actress was very talented)
* Sam's rescue. Thank goodness, a break from the trend of "beaming/ringing out in the nick of time". I thought the rescue was one of the better parts of the show
* Daniel/Vala. Decent chemistry in their scenes and less eye-rolling from Daniel this year now that Vala is becoming an ally and not just an annoyance. I didn't have any problem with Daniel wanting to kill Adria. Early Daniel just reacted passionately in shooting the baby Goa'uld. This Daniel seems to be very pragmatic in dealing with evil, in any form.
* Ori ships. Thankfully they shot them at angles that made them a little less "tidy bowls of doom" ;) :)
* Sets. I'm still not sure how the Ori adopted the Medieval look as their signature theme but the interior sets on the Ori ship looked beautiful. Kudos to the set designers/dressers.

The bad:
* Teal'c. Poor guy - the fallback for his character is just getting tortured now it seems. Teal'c didn't have much to do here - didn't even get to have a passionate argument with Bra'tac. And I miss Teal'c eye-shadow. I really do. :cool:
* Bra'tac. And what's up with Brae? Always ready to die for a cause but ramming the Ori ship (and taking all his friends with him) left me :tealcanime49:
* "Just in time". Yes, I know they have to have SOME explanation for how they rescue themselves but it's getting a little old that they're always saved just as the ship explodes or the guy shoots, etc.
* Ori in general. Still don't do that much for me but I continue to hope they'll grow on me. (Maybe having Adria will help - so far I like her better than some of the other "evil rapid-grow scifi kids". ) And I'd rather write on essay on time travel paradoxes than try to figure out the ascended "rulebook". yawn. :S

All in all, I'll continue to watch to see how S10 shapes up. I miss seeing the team as the family it used to be. But I was sufficiently entertained for the evening (at no charge) so thanks TPTB, cast and crew. Hard to believe it's been 10 years. :) :)

P.S. The scariest thing I saw all evening were some of those commercials for that new ""Superhero" reality show. :eek:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this. I SO agree with pretty much everything you said. ROFL at the "tidy bowls of doom".

The only thing that bothered me in the ep was Mitchell taking the controls from that other guy to rescue Sam. So he has more experience flying one of those than the guy whose job it is? When did he get that experience? I get that Our Heroes have to be involved in everything, but it would have been enough to be encouraging or whatever and just be THERE. Eh, it`s a nitpick. It doesn`t seem to have bothered anyone else from what I`ve read so far.

Amen about the scary superhero commercials.

Oh, and I don`t really miss Teal`c`s eye shadow, so I guess that`s one more thing we don`t agree on. ;)

Fargater
July 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Random thoughts for this one:

-My brain may be hazy, but is this the first time SG1 and Atlantis were shown in widescreen? It really stood out here, so I can't remember if they've always done this and I just forgot, or if this is something new from SciFi. Either way, thumbs up! It does make a difference.

-While I thought both girls who played Adria did a great job, I was bored with the long conversation between her and Vala.
Which long conversation? Surely not when they were discussing the Ori and whether or not they`re the True Path and all that?

-I vastly prefer these versions of Vala and Mitch compared to what I saw last season. Can they stick around beyond the season opener?

-The whole transporter thing is getting a bit ridiculous. Korolev explodes? Don't worry we managed to transport some people to safety. Sam stuck in space? Sucks to be you, they aren't working! Daniel and Vala about to be charred? Oh look, we got the transporters working just in time! Mitch/Sam/Teal'c/Bra'tac about to ram something? Ditto. Too much dependence on the damn thing.
AMEN.

-The mission to save Sam was also somewhat of a stretch. There were no smaller ships that could have grabbed her? Mitch was the best one suited to fly the Odyssey and save her? When did he get the training on those big ships that makes him more suited than, I dunno, the people that actually are on them all the time?
Ah! Finally someone mentions this. (And if someone did before, I apologize for not seeing it.)

Seems to me to be more of that trying to get Mitchell in the foreground like someone else mentioned, whether it makes sense or not. :(

-Between this ep and Atlantis's NML, I am so sick of the damn sparklers that go off when the ships got hit. :P

-Overall, the CGI scenes were great and the action certainly was there. I thought it barely edged out the Atlantis premiere but overall as a season opener it could have been stronger.

JanusAncient
July 18th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I did notice, and take offense, when Mitchell took the Odyssey controls, but I put it in the back of my head, like something that just seemed necessary to someone.

Whe Adria spoke about the Ori, I for one, am inclined to believe her, since she has the actual knowledge of the Ori, and no one to this day, has been able to give me more than speculation, about why the Ancient's created human life in two known galaxies. I loved the part of her speech when she said, "in the end, only you can decide the fate of your own soul," that was a perfect ending to the speech.

Daniel wanting to kill Adria, I have a problem with him being willing to do it, but I don't believe that he could have pulled it off. I'm getting the feeling, as the Ori plot further develops, that when they were human, they were far more powerful beings than the Ancient's, when it comes to the powers they had.

Adria made many points that people are dismissing, like the Ancient's keeping the basic truth of human existence from them. Even Daniel wondered if the Ancient's were the one's who changed human views about fire.

Have to agree, Teal'c being tortured, what was the purpose of that? That Goa'uld device should have run out of energy, a long time ago, or be etched with Teal'c' name.

Why did the Lucian Alliance blow up that ship, did that make any sense at all, how many Goa'uld ships are in Earth's possession, three, or is it four. They just had to be given a chance to prove their resolve.

The third incarnation of Adria, they should have had her sit with Daniel, and Vala, talk, nosh, maybe she could have explained some of the differences between the Ancient's, and the Ori, why they exist, who ascended first, that sort of stuff.

SySTeMLoRDLoL
July 18th, 2006, 06:20 AM
I liked how they developed Vala's character. They have a lot of potential with that. She was a former Goa'uld host, so maybe all of her arrogance and bravado is just a front for how she was a victim. She also has a maternal side and she could end up being a very complex character.
I didn't like how they nerfed Teal'c and disgraced Bra'tac. Mitchell seemed to play hero too much, but I liked what they did with Daniel. His darker side is starting to show up. he's changed a lot, and maybe he will change a LOT more by the end of the season! ;)

LoneStar1836
July 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
The only thing that bothered me in the ep was Mitchell taking the controls from that other guy to rescue Sam. So he has more experience flying one of those than the guy whose job it is? When did he get that experience? I get that Our Heroes have to be involved in everything, but it would have been enough to be encouraging or whatever and just be THERE. Eh, it`s a nitpick. It doesn`t seem to have bothered anyone else from what I`ve read so far.It bothered me, but it's stupid stuff like that that I've come to expect from the writers so I just try to ignore it.:mckay:

ChillinTheMost
July 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM
The rescue of Sam could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Even Sam, whom I would consider an expert on these things, thought it was incredibly risky. I'm willing to fanwank that Mitchell was willing to take the chance to save Sam and didn't want anyone else to have the guilt if it didn't work and Sam didn't make it. Maybe he even thought that Sam might breathe a little easier knowing that the person at the helm had a vested interest in saving her: friends, teammates, genuine respect.

I thought it was a great episode and look forward to many exciting episodes in season 10!!!

shaqarava
July 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM
How did Daniel know that the last shot to hit the Korelev was the finishing blow? Seems to me he decided to jump ship as soon as he felt a little rumble.

Traveler Enroute1
July 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Just sayin', McKay - abs of steel - brrrrr! :mckayanime22: ;)
(Aw, just playin'!)

the dancer of spaz
July 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
How did Daniel know that the last shot to hit the Korelev was the finishing blow? Seems to me he decided to jump ship as soon as he felt a little rumble.

Uh... Sparks were flying and ships were disintegrating all over the place. Their more-powerful allies were even bailing. They'd been getting their butts kicked for a long time. That's hardly "a little rumble."

shaqarava
July 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Uh... Sparks were flying and ships were disintegrating all over the place. Their more-powerful allies were even bailing. They'd been getting their butts kicked for a long time. That's hardly "a little rumble."

But the sparks that were flying in the rings room weren't that more severe than those on the bridge moments earlier before being hit. There was still nothing to suggest that the damage the ship took at that moment would be THE finishing blow.

PG15
July 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Wasn't the nuke about to go off or something? (that's why there was a huuuge shockwave following Cam's 302)

keshou
July 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM
The only thing that bothered me in the ep was Mitchell taking the controls from that other guy to rescue Sam. So he has more experience flying one of those than the guy whose job it is? When did he get that experience? I get that Our Heroes have to be involved in everything, but it would have been enough to be encouraging or whatever and just be THERE. Eh, it`s a nitpick. It doesn`t seem to have bothered anyone else from what I`ve read so far.
Well I admit that scene made me roll my eyes. Mitchell could have shown just as much leadership by giving Emerson a pep talk and patting him on the back with a "good job" when he brought Sam in to safety.

I also didn't care much for the Mitchell/Bra'tac scenes at the end. Mainly because I thought Teal'c was cheated out of a fine scene with Bra'tac. I wanted Teal'c to be the hero in that scene. :(

One of those intense........ "I know how you feel old friend.....but we may yet find a way to free our world - today is not a good day to die" scenes. I mean FCOL, Teal'c hardly gets any lines as it is and they take away his big scene with a guest actor that usually brings out CJ's finest performances!

BUT...BUT....in spite of my nitpicks with those two scenes I thought Mitchell was generally pretty good in this episode.

Or maybe I'm just becoming to used to one or two Mitchell "hero" moments in every episode. ;) :)

OutThere
July 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I decided to put aside my utter dislike of the Ori and watch the season opener. I must say it came out of the gate very strong. But after the Sam rescue sequence the quality got a bit uneven, to put it mildly.

Good points:

The beginning, where we get a flashback to what happened and how Cam survives. Very nicely done.

Sam drifting in space, and her rescue. The writers should get extra points for originality on this one. But I do have a question. If she is adrift, she is in motion, right? Couldn't Cam have just "parked" the ship near her and let her float into the hangar?

Daniel "dead" again. My husband and I nearly fell off the sofa laughing at that one!

Every scene with Vala in it. Claudia Black is soooo good. From the episodes I watched last season, I felt that Vala jokes around to hide a lot of pain. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I picked up from the character, and that's what I think was going on here. Claiming she named Adria after her wicked stepmother sounded very fairy tale-ish.

Vala's husband, whatsisface.

Daniel making it onto the Ori ship. That was interesting. Loved all his scenes.

Those girls that played Adria were great!

Bra'tac!

The bad:

I thought Cam just taking things over on Emerson's ship was a little odd.

The rescue of Sam could have gone horribly, horribly wrong. Even Sam, whom I would consider an expert on these things, thought it was incredibly risky. I'm willing to fanwank that Mitchell was willing to take the chance to save Sam and didn't want anyone else to have the guilt if it didn't work and Sam didn't make it. Maybe he even thought that Sam might breathe a little easier knowing that the person at the helm had a vested interest in saving her: friends, teammates, genuine respect.

That could have worked. I wished they had shown us that, though, rather than requiring us to fill in the blanks. As it was Cam just displacing the guy bothered me, but I rationalized it by saying the writers wanted to put the regular character in the spotlight. But it would have been nice to have an "in story" reason for that. Still, I'm giving the writers high points for originality on the Sam rescue.

The Teal'c torture, the whole Luscian Alliance thing. It was just bad.

And let me beat a dead horse: The last second beam outs. Bad, bad, bad.

Suicidal Bra'tac. Huh? And why were Teal'c and Bra'tac just standing there like wood in that scene? C'mon, speak, guys, speak! Get this scene to make sense! And why was Cam sneaking the locater onto Bra'tac instead of just handing it to him? Did he somehow know that Bra'tac wanted to die and would refuse the Inevitable Last Second Before Death Beam Out? To tell you the truth, this whole bit with Bra'tac bothered me more than anything else.

I'd say that when this episode was good, it was very,very good. And when it was bad, it was horrid.

Fargater
July 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM

I thought it was a great episode and look forward to many exciting episodes in season 10!!!
Ah, THANKS for this! This is an explanation that makes sense.

But like Out There said, it would have been better to have an "in story" reason instead of requiring us to fill in the blanks.

Zelda
July 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I enjoyed F & B and thought it an entertaining episode that had a good balance of action for all the characters. I liked Mitchell's serious, take charge attitude throughout. The 2 things that stood out for me:

The special effect used to retrieve Carter. That was totally cool -- I have watched lots of scifi and have never seen that done before. Kudos writers and cgi staff for coming up with an imaginative, unique sequence. Also, the splicing together of elements of that scene was very well done, including both Mitchell's and Carter's sense of the delicate nature of what was being attempted.

Secondly, the children who portrayed the advanced, aging Orici. Those scenes were beautifully filmed -- all three child actresses were suitably creepy as hosts to the ancient ascended being and its pursuit of galactic domination. The lighting, filming, and dialogue were all wonderfully done.

DRHOUSE
July 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I enjoyed the episode except for the bit when mitchell brings carter into the ship that bit was terrible it was just mitchell showing off

Jonzey
July 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I enjoyed the episode except for the bit when mitchell brings carter into the ship that bit was terrible it was just mitchell showing off
''Oh no, one of my closest friends is stuck in space and running out of air fast. Now how can I show off my skills as a pilot??''

the dancer of spaz
July 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
''Oh no, one of my closest friends is stuck in space and running out of air fast. Now how can I show off my skills as a pilot??''

"I know! Yo, Marks! Move!"

Ace
July 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM

That is how I saw the scene as well... I can't believe so many people are upset by that scene. I never even saw/thought of it as a way for Mitchell to "show off" his flying ability.

I saw it as a very risky manuever that he didn't want to ask Marks to make... If he did let Marks pilot the vessel and Marks did hit Carter and killed her then who's fault is it? It would be Marks... it would completely end his career as a pilot. Not to mention the fact that he is responsible for killing "a legend" as all SG-1 are... and the planet's expert on Stargate technology.

If Mitchell took over, if anything happened it would all fall on him. I certainly didn't see it as... "Ohh I'm the best pilot on the ship, let me do it!" and I certainly would never have thought of that if I didn't read the forums.

I simply saw it as a way to let Marks off the hook incase anything bad happened...

Ace

Zelda
July 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
While I thought the sequence imaginative and unique to scifi, and I still do -- my first thought of course was -- how stupid was the original scenario that sent Carter out in space without a hookable tether line or simple propellent device? As I've said -- I have watched a lot of scifi. eh...I'm still giving points for the entire sequence. It would have been better thought out if Marks had been injured and not in the pilot's seat -- but this show isn't the best written one I've ever watched so I always cut it major slack. I love Mitchell in charge -- so the writers should have handled the set-up better. IMO

Raj_2006
July 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Wht ever happened to tht Asgard ship, it wasn't destoryed was it ?? :S

Daniel's_twin
July 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
It probably was, otherwise it likely would have been helping. I think in this situation the Asgard wouldn't just up and leave when the attack was over and assess "There are survivors in places and their life support is holding at a minimal capacity, with one of our members onboard one of the Earth ships. 'Bye!" :cool:

Sheppard
July 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
it was definetly destroyed otherwise he would of been aboard it in the episode and it wasent on the censors when they were looking to see the ships so it was destroyed

the fifth man
July 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM

Showing off? Not IMO. If you have the skills, use them. Obviously, Mitchell has the skills.:) Besides, I thought he was completely humble about it afterwards. Both to Emerson and to Carter herself.

Dani347
July 19th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I can maybe buy the writers (RCC in this case?) showing off through Mitchell, but Mitchell himself wasn't written as someone who was showing off himself. To me, showing off would have been him bragging and acting conceited about it.

the fifth man
July 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I can maybe buy the writers (RCC in this case?) showing off through Mitchell, but Mitchell himself wasn't written as someone who was showing off himself. To me, showing off would have been him bragging and acting conceited about it.

Exactly!! He just said you get lucky sometimes. I really respected how he downplayed it.

Metarock Sam
July 20th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Yay SG-1 is back. And pretty soon ill have a review up for the permier of SGA !!!!
Anyways this season 10 premier was brilliant !!!! way better than last years premier (Which is probably the worst SG-1 season opener in the terms of action and stuff since it was setting up Mitchell's character).
Anyways this ep reused the old child with all the knowledge of our enemy cliché again but it doesnt matter since Adria is a great character and I cant wait to see her when she's 'fully grown' and although we already had Shifu the harsesis child Adria is well cooler cos she's evil :D.
We got more space battles. With the stupid Lucian Alliance thinking itself masters of the galaxy. tut tut.
All the cast regulars survived just as we would expet them too and I guess this season is definatly going to be much better with Claudia black as a cast regular !!!!
All in all a spectacular return to form. And was definatly worth the long wait for the conclusion of last seasons cliffhanger. 7/10

P.S: Would type more but im about to watch the SGA premier.

Enterprise J
July 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
:jack: do we now hoo Transport off the Korolev

:jack: :tealc: :sam: :daniel: :cameron: :vala: :hammond: :sheppard: :teyla: :ford: :mckay: :weir: :ronan: :beckett:

Mattathias2.0
July 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
The Asgard ship was destroyed - otherwise Kvasir could have just beamed over to it, and beam Carter onto that ship.

Mattathias

DetriusXii
July 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Sam drifting in space, and her rescue. The writers should get extra points for originality on this one. But I do have a question. If she is adrift, she is in motion, right? Couldn't Cam have just "parked" the ship near her and let her float into the hangar?

Not necessarily. She just doesn't have any ability to accelerate in space. She could have remained at zero velocity and still be in space. And the parking in space may be more difficult to do. If the ship was "parked" while Sam was still moving, in her Newtonian reference frame, the ship would still be moving and with such a large mass, it's momemtum would still hit her. And it would take forever to reorient a large ship precisely so that Sam's velocity vector was pointing into the ship hull and then request the ship to stop exactly. On earth car's come to a stop because of friction. The ship in space would have to keep on playing with the reverse thrust and forward thrust to stop itself (to say the Supergate origin) and the thrust may be too imprecise for Sam's safety. It was probably safe for Sam to board the ship in the time frame when the ship's speed was very close to her own so that the ship wouldn't provide too much force to bring her to the ship's velocity.

jckfan55
July 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
That is how I saw the scene as well... I can't believe so many people are upset by that scene. I never even saw/thought of it as a way for Mitchell to "show off" his flying ability.

I saw it as a very risky manuever that he didn't want to ask Marks to make... If he did let Marks pilot the vessel and Marks did hit Carter and killed her then who's fault is it? It would be Marks... it would completely end his career as a pilot. Not to mention the fact that he is responsible for killing "a legend" as all SG-1 are... and the planet's expert on Stargate technology.

If Mitchell took over, if anything happened it would all fall on him. I certainly didn't see it as... "Ohh I'm the best pilot on the ship, let me do it!" and I certainly would never have thought of that if I didn't read the forums.

I simply saw it as a way to let Marks off the hook incase anything bad happened...

Ace
Then I would have preferred something like:
Mitchell: Let's go in and get her.
Marks: uh, sir--that will require precision piloting and I don't know if I can...
Mitchell: It's ok Marks, I've done some simulations over the last year and think I just might be able to pull it off. Besides, we can't just leave Sam out there, can we?

Edit: If they hadn't been so consistently pushing Mitchell forward last season, I'd be less sensitive to Mitchell doing the rescue this time. That said, it was a cool move.

Mattathias2.0
July 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I thought Mitchell was curtious to Marks...

[Sam is stranded in space, while Mitchell and the Odyssey crew are trying to rescue her.]
Lt. Col. Carter: If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, it won't work.
Lt. Col. Mitchell: Marks, do you mind? [takes piloting controls] Hang on Sam, we're coming to get you.
[Odyssey starts moving towards Sam.]
Lt. Col. Carter: Oh, boy.

Mattathias

July 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Ace
Same with me. The thought of Cam showing off didn't even cross my mind. I thought that he was a little foolish at first, for doing it himself and not letting the guy who's job it is to do it. I thought that he just wasn't thinking because he was too concerned for Sam's safety and wanted to do it himself because it would make him feel better, but after reading both your post and ChillinTheMost's post, your explanation makes more sense to me. :)

July 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Absolutely. He was more concerned for Sam's safety than anything else at that moment. I said in the post above, maybe he was a little too concerned which would be why he wanted to do it himself. But the explanation that he didn't want it to be on Marks' shoulders if anything went wrong is a little more plausable, IMO.

ChillinTheMost
July 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM
Absolutely. He was more concerned for Sam's safety than anything else at that moment. I said in the post above, maybe he was a little too concerned which would be why he wanted to do it himself. But the explanation that he didn't want it to be on Marks' shoulders if anything went wrong is a little more plausable, IMO.
And we know he knows what it's like to follow an order and have it go terribly, terribly wrong: he bombed the innocent civilian caravan upon orders - and he still lives with that guilt. I'm sure he vowed to never give an order that would cause someone else that kind of guilt.

ChillinTheMost
July 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Then I would have preferred something like:
Mitchell: Let's go in and get her.
Marks: uh, sir--that will require precision piloting and I don't know if I can...
Mitchell: It's ok Marks, I've done some simulations over the last year and think I just might be able to pull it off. Besides, we can't just leave Sam out there, can we?

Edit: If they hadn't been so consistently pushing Mitchell forward last season, I'd be less sensitive to Mitchell doing the rescue this time. That said, it was a cool move.
I don't know. I think if that scenerio had happened there would still be some people saying, "Simulators? Simulators???? and he thinks that qualifies him???" I also think that makes Marks look a little wussy. I like it better that Mitchell just took the responsibility [and possible guilt] out of Marks' hands and placed it firmly in his own.

Eh, whatever the scenerio, detractors would find fault.

I agree, it was a cool move, though, whoever did it.

kaifanun
July 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
New guy here. So many forums finally decided to join this one.

Good start for season 10. Looking forward to this season and looks like it going to be interesting one. But it looks like the ratings did not agree with the fans.

I don't get the hate towards Mitchell. Is it the character or the actor? I have notice lot of people talking bad about him. Not just this thread or forum. Personally I think he is doing a good job as an actor and for his character.

Love the interaction between Daniel and Vala.

Shipperahoy
July 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
I actually liked Mitchell in this one. Last season, for me, he was just sort of there. Not really doing much, occasionally playing the frat boy, but not really coming across as part and/or leader (depending on who you ask) of an elite team. This episode he got more to do than spout off quippy lines and bounce around like a toddler on a sugar high. Even though the team wasn't actually all together for almost the entire episode it still had a team feeling. Like everybody had a part to play and were working together. It's something that has been lacking for me for a while now. I don't think that the show will ever recapture for me what it held in the first few seasons but I'm actually starting to look forward to it again.

suse
July 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM
My succinct summary of this ep: <YAWN>

Not bad, but certainly not good.

More explicitly: This felt like one of the longest SG-1 eps in recent history. The individual scenes felt rushed and very cut and pasted. Odd considering the show felt so long. Cam was SG-hero. That whole "I will fight to my dying breath" speech felt like....well, a speech. Not at all natural. I was miming playing a violin through much of it. (Er, there is no "I" in "Team".) The whole Cam Must Come Up With (And Execute!) All The Saving Scenarios was laughable. He stayed the same on my rating scale. Which is an improvement for him as he'd been falling around 2 numbers (3 in Crusade) for the last half of S9.

Vala was better. At least she didn't sexually harass Daniel even once this ep. She was even mildly amusing. I was shocked. She might even my out of the negatives in my likability scale by episode 3.

Too bad Teal'c was the "tortured one" yet again. And Sam did nothing but float in space. And Bra'tac was OOC so Mitchell could come up with a "better idea" (again). :roll: And of course Daniel was Vala's sidekick yet again.

And they used the beaming tech entirely too many times. LOL There was even a transporter failure. All they need to do is start talking pattern buffers...

Overall this was neither a negative or a positive ep for me. Though nothing will make me stop watching more than being bored. And I was very bored.

Suse

GenHammondsBarber
July 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the Barbershop. Sit down, hang out, and listen to my review of "Flesh and Blood".

5 Scissors out of 5

The episode “Flesh and Blood” is a aptly named beginning to a incredible beginning to season 10. The opening episode reinvigorated the human element of Stargate. The concept of team effort, bonds between characters, and being a overwhelming underdog returned in this episode. Our heroes must work together along with some old and new friends. These friends, both old and new remind of us their own humanity and of the humanity in the cause of defeating the Ori.

The opening of the episode powerfully illustrates the gap between the forces of the humans of the milky way galaxy and their allies in comparison to the Ori. “The Odyssey” grimly flies through the floating graveyard of ships that were quickly pulverized by the Ori fleet of 4 vessels. The combined forces of Humans, Jaffa, Asgard, and the Lutian Alliance have been soundly defeated. In the aftermath, Sam Carter faces death with her oxygen supply is running down. Teal’c has been betrayed, captured, and tortued by the Lutian Alliance. Daniel’s whereabouts are unknown. Sg-1 has been defeated and scattered about the universe. That is how we begin.

The journey out of the depths of despair is a fun and familiar one helped along by our old friend Bra’tac and our new ally Vala. The super sexual Vala appears to have matured with motherhood. Her humor is more mature and less overtly sexual. For instance, she has a touching scene where she names her new child Adria only to reveal to Daniel later that the name actually belonged to her hated stepmother and did not have the meaning she told Adria. Vala becomes a very sympathetic figure in “Flesh and Blood” when the Ori immediately take her child after she is born and announce that the child belongs to all who worship the Ori. She is Orici. Luckily for our heros the child, later named Adria has an attachment to her mother and seeks her approval. Vala’s interaction with her newly born, but fast aging daughter are witty, informative, and expose Adria’s human side is alive and well. There are some wonderful mother daughter moments with the child who has grown quickly due to the influence of the Ori. These interactions help us to realize why the Ori have chosen Chulak as their 1st landing area as well as Adria’s role in the Ori society. The nteractions also give us hope for the future. The Ori have not been able to eliminate her natural human tendencies. Adria wants to be named. She acknlowedges it as a attempt of Vala to humanize her but accepts the name anyway. The family dynamic’s of SG-1 had been lacking since many of the family story lines such as Daniel and Shar’e and Sam and her father Jacob had been resolved. The family dynamic has stepped back through the stargate.

Another type of family connection emerged in the episode as Bra’tac and Teal’c’s homeworld and beloved Jaffa community are once again under siege by a powerful enemy. Bra’tac has long been a member of SG-1’s extended family. Along for the ride are Lt. Colonel’s Carter and Mitchell who are hoping to find friend and teammate Daniel Jackson on this trek to Chulak. Bra’tac’s mission is largely regarded as a suicide mission, but our heroes stick together even though the odds are severely stacked against them. In fact, they go to the brink of death to attempt to save Chulak from being overwhelmed. Chulak falls, but Daniel Jackson and Vala are saved. The Jaffa are again likely to be enslaved by a powerful race claiming to be Gods. It is clear that freeing the Jaffa nation is a burden that Teal’c and Bra’tac will have to bear again. It is also quite clear that they will not have to do so alone as SG-1 will be with them every step of the way. The warrior Jaffa nation was consumed with politics and power. The episode “Flesh and Blood” has effected the core of their humanity and made them powerless against a seemingly all powerful enemy.

The final scene in the episode is of our heros sitting together. Together, they realize that the galaxy they fought to free has now come under siege to a enemy that might not be able to be stopped. They have resolve. Their resolve comes from knowing each other, their allies, and even the knew leader of the Ori have a deep connection that will never be broken.

Dutch_Razor
July 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
This ep is 11/10 for me :D

I liked Vala's whole braggin about Origin suddenly getting alot more interesting for the males in the galaxy :P

captain jake
July 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
I actually liked Mitchell in this one. Last season, for me, he was just sort of there. Not really doing much, occasionally playing the frat boy, but not really coming across as part and/or leader (depending on who you ask) of an elite team. This episode he got more to do than spout off quippy lines and bounce around like a toddler on a sugar high. Even though the team wasn't actually all together for almost the entire episode it still had a team feeling. Like everybody had a part to play and were working together. It's something that has been lacking for me for a while now. I don't think that the show will ever recapture for me what it held in the first few seasons but I'm actually starting to look forward to it again.

I'm glad you say that personally I loved Mitchell last season. I had a feeling that people would start taking him more serious this season I think that comes with getting to know his character. Of course there will always be the people who hate him but I feel that for the most part fans are starting to get to know who Mitchell really is. When Mitchell saved carter I felt a huge jump in his overall stature and I think allot of the anti Mitchell fans did to.

nyxlily
July 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
No offense to previous post.. but I had trouble believing the writers knew who he was last season. His personality and actions varied so widely from episode to episode.. from hot headed fly-boy to childlike delight in SG-1 and the stargate to serious deep personal issues to commanding type who doesn't give a damn to going at things alone to wanting a team. How are we suppose to know him when the writers can't write consistently? That said, I believe they were trying to discover who he was, too, so I wasn't overly critical of Mitchell; I was willing to wait another season to judge him. He was, after all, a season one character.

So far THIS season, the character seem to have matured to taking things seriously and working as part of the team. That's why I like him way more than last season. Perhaps that's why people like him more. I just hope they'll keep this Mitchell...

OutThere
July 23rd, 2006, 04:10 AM
Not necessarily. She just doesn't have any ability to accelerate in space. She could have remained at zero velocity and still be in space. And the parking in space may be more difficult to do. If the ship was "parked" while Sam was still moving, in her Newtonian reference frame, the ship would still be moving and with such a large mass, it's momemtum would still hit her. And it would take forever to reorient a large ship precisely so that Sam's velocity vector was pointing into the ship hull and then request the ship to stop exactly. On earth car's come to a stop because of friction. The ship in space would have to keep on playing with the reverse thrust and forward thrust to stop itself (to say the Supergate origin) and the thrust may be too imprecise for Sam's safety. It was probably safe for Sam to board the ship in the time frame when the ship's speed was very close to her own so that the ship wouldn't provide too much force to bring her to the ship's velocity.

Thanks for the reply. Sometime after I wrote my post I realized that what I had said was kind of stupid, because all movement in space would be relative. :o

Dutch_Razor
July 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Btw does anyone know what the Latin means that the prior said?

I don't think it was repeated in English entirely.

Slider
July 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
awesome episode.....

bcfc
July 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM
alot better than season 9 opener more action, drama, and the team seems to be alot more solid acting together.

Loved the ori ships fight scenes with the ha'taks over chu'lak, and the ship impacting with the ori ship and still causing no damage :S

Puts into prespctive how powerfull they are.

:) :) :)

July 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
And we know he knows what it's like to follow an order and have it go terribly, terribly wrong: he bombed the innocent civilian caravan upon orders - and he still lives with that guilt. I'm sure he vowed to never give an order that would cause someone else that kind of guilt.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! Now it makes even more sense. Thanks for the green, btw. :D

JanusAncient
July 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
How did they beam them off the Ha'tak? The shield was still up.

mahram
July 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Did anybody catch if the asgard ship was destroyed or did it escape.

captain jake
July 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Did anybody catch if the asgard ship was destroyed or did it escape.

Which one? I think there was a couple and I'm pretty sure they were all destroyed.

JanusAncient
July 27th, 2006, 02:26 AM
No, there was only the one, but that baby is now toast. Butter, or jam Kvasir?

captain jake
July 27th, 2006, 03:26 AM
No, there was only the one, but that baby is now toast. Butter, or jam Kvasir?

Perhaps you are correct I assumed there were more.

BJX
July 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I watched this episode today and although I liked it, I felt it was a slightly dissapointing conclusion to CAMELOT and a dissapointing Season opener.

It was a well made episode and the SFX were amazing but that was really all there was to the episode. I would've liked to have seen the effects of the Ori landing on Chulack, more character moments and a bigger set up for the rest of the season then, we better come up with a new plan. It just didn't feel big enough or impotant as it should. Again the beaming our guys out of danger was used far too much. The one time they didn't use it, Carters rescue, was the most impressive sence of the episode.

Daniel and Vala's scenes together were excellent and Adria is going to be a great character. The Ori troops look impressive and Mitchells character was alot better here.

Overall it was an enjoyable episode but it felt rushed and under developed. I imagine it would've worked better as a two-parter.

3/5

Linwelin
July 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Wow ! It took me days to read all the pages ! :p

What a season opener ! :D I really enjoyed it ! :D

Points I really enjoyed :

the way Mitchell saved Carter :D
Adria's eyes !
the actresses playing Adria :

the youngest one really scared mewhen she said "Hallowed are the Ori"
the second one is a very good actress too !
the inside of the Ori ships : that blue light is very fine
Vala was great in that episode :

" You telling me, Origin is about to become a lot more appealling to the males of this galaxy":D
the name of Adria that comes from the name of her step-mother !:D
she also kept a very low profile...
Even Carter can't do a single thing to destroy the Ori ships !:eek: The idea of sending a weapon with the rings comes from the Korelev...
still no Ori ship destroyed...
the images of the Ha'tak crashing on the ship were simply wonderful !
Landry : "If I had the salary they pay... Did I say that loud ?":DPoints I enjoyed :

the Lucian Alliance still have their own point of view, they shall come back causing some trouble...
Kvasir's sandwich...
a few words about AtlantisPoints I disliked :

the beaming technology is used a few times...Well, I should have said "the point I disliked" !;)

For me, a very great episode, one of the best season openers I've ever seen !

I give it 19,5/20:) Great hopes for season 10 !:D

Fargater
July 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Ah! Thanks again for another good point. I should have thought of that.

I`m really glad to have read the comments about that scene. I think I`m just way too touchy about Mitchell because of how he was last season, and am too ready to interpret almost everything he does in the worst possible way. But the writers did it right this time, including the humility after the rescue, and I missed it by being hung up on one thing. Watched it again later and enjoyed it much more. I agree totally with what people are saying about the rescue now.

Which means the only things to complain about now are Teal`c torture yet again and Bra`tac`s What the FRELL? behavior.

ChillinTheMost
July 31st, 2006, 05:29 AM
Ah! Thanks again for another good point. I should have thought of that.

I`m really glad to have read the comments about that scene. I think I`m just way too touchy about Mitchell because of how he was last season, and am too ready to interpret almost everything he does in the worst possible way. But the writers did it right this time, including the humility after the rescue, and I missed it by being hung up on one thing. Watched it again later and enjoyed it much more. I agree totally with what people are saying about the rescue now.

Which means the only things to complain about now are Teal`c torture yet again and Bra`tac`s What the FRELL? behavior.
Cool. There are many ways to view things and it's interesting to read about all those different viewspoints - it usually makes us think and sometimes it even sways our opinions. That's one of the great things about boards like this!

JanusAncient
August 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
I've missed Adria, these past couple of episoeds.

metabog
August 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed and I'm too lazy to search for this, but there's a slight goof in this episode, when Sam is brought into the cargo hall by moving the ship around. Well the cargo hall was supposed to be in 0 gravity, while Sam was floating, and then the artifical gravity was turned on. Then why didn't all the boxes and containers, that were on shelves in the cargo hall, float around?

The Signal
August 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
A step up on Cam-a-lot, though that really didnt take much, the script was far better, not an overuse of cheep looking action that dominated Camelot's final act, and thank God there was a scene which I felt was perfect (on the Korelev bridge with Chekov). But still, it had major flaws that make it my least favourite opener for SG1. There was too much focus on Mitchell, once again, and though he was less objectionable in this one, he was still massively overused. Vala got a little too much time too, though it was used as part of the thoroughly original [/sarcasm] evil fast growing baby story, most of it was pointless and felt like filler to me. The only line that really got a laugh out of me was the "step mother" line.

Overall, 6/10, a vast improvment on 3/10 for Camelot.

ChillinTheMost
August 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed and I'm too lazy to search for this, but there's a slight goof in this episode, when Sam is brought into the cargo hall by moving the ship around. Well the cargo hall was supposed to be in 0 gravity, while Sam was floating, and then the artifical gravity was turned on. Then why didn't all the boxes and containers, that were on shelves in the cargo hall, float around?
I know nothing about this, but is it possible that stuff needs some sort of impetus to start floating? What would start it rising in the first place? Other than that, I could guess that items in an area that is known to sometimes have 0 gravity would always be secured. Or we could just go with, the CGI was already overbudget. :)

metabog
August 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I know nothing about this, but is it possible that stuff needs some sort of impetus to start floating? What would start it rising in the first place? Other than that, I could guess that items in an area that is known to sometimes have 0 gravity would always be secured. Or we could just go with, the CGI was already overbudget. :)

Well unless they were firmly attached, they would start moving around whenever the ship accelerated, or decelerated, right? I may be wrong.

Well it's obviously the CGI overbudget thing, I'd rather have them focus on more important things, but I'm sure a show like BSG would have made sure those things floated.

ChillinTheMost
August 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Well unless they were firmly attached, they would start moving around whenever the ship accelerated, or decelerated, right? I may be wrong.

Well it's obviously the CGI overbudget thing, I'd rather have them focus on more important things, but I'm sure a show like BSG would have made sure those things floated.
LOL. You're probably right. And I agree that I like to have them focus on more important things - but it is fun to nitpik, too!

stewsith
August 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Can someone please remind me where Thor is? I cannot remember why they brought kasivir in. Its not exactly likes hes not available seeing as he is a puppet and michael shanks does the voice?

Daniel's_twin
August 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
All we know is that he's busy elsewhere according to Kvasir. We don't know exactly what he's doing. But hopefully we will find out soon. :cool:

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 25th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I think that when the Oddysee showed up out of no where that kind of ruined the dramatic exit of season 9 where the Ori made sure that there were none left to tell the tale. I think that Bratac lost it abit in this ep also - I thought that was a bit stupid considering he's meant to be this all wise and powerful leader amonst the Jaffa High Council.

Overall, it was a nice intro to season 10 and a nice intro to Adria, who was terrifying. My favourite moment was when Daniel turns up on the Ori ship and finds Vala - Don't ask why, I just love the Danny/Vala moments.:)

david2708
August 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Can someone please remind me where Thor is? I cannot remember why they brought kasivir in. Its not exactly likes hes not available seeing as he is a puppet and michael shanks does the voice?
Maybe they have to pay Shanks more money if he does Thor voiceovers? TBTB Solution-get a voiceover nobody, pay 'em pittance and hope people don't realise the one asgard puppet is probably ALL the asgard characters on the show.

Sheppard
September 19th, 2006, 05:20 AM
you know the little fighters we see in this episode the ori ones

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/ships/graphics/orifighter.jpg

those ones well do any of yous think that we will actually see these again and if they have been in different episodes please tell me

Descent
September 19th, 2006, 05:30 AM
you know the little fighters we see in this episode the ori ones

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/ships/graphics/orifighter.jpg

those ones well do any of yous think that we will actually see these again and if they have been in different episodes please tell me

They have yet to make a reappearance but I have no doubt we'll see them again.

Farscapefan
September 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
They have yet to make a reappearance but I have no doubt we'll see them again.

Definitely in the last episode of season 10.

Chaka's_Mum
October 19th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I think that when the Oddysee showed up out of no where that kind of ruined the dramatic exit of season 9 where the Ori made sure that there were none left to tell the tale. I think that Bratac lost it abit in this ep also - I thought that was a bit stupid considering he's meant to be this all wise and powerful leader amonst the Jaffa High Council.

Overall, it was a nice intro to season 10 and a nice intro to Adria, who was terrifying. My favourite moment was when Daniel turns up on the Ori ship and finds Vala - Don't ask why, I just love the Danny/Vala moments.:)

Finally seen it!:D

I was quite surprised at Bra'tac, too - he's always come across as the level-headed one! :bratacanime13: On the other hand, he's a Jaffa Warrior of the highest order, and totally wedded to the principles of warrior-hood. He's just tried the only shot they had on an Ori ship - taking out two Ha'taks in the process - and it didn't work, so he's willing to do whatever it takes to knock out at least one of those Ori ships. Admittedly that means ramming one and dying gloriously (he hopes). Pity that didn't work either, though. Just as well Cam planted a beacon on him isn't it?

It's quite feasible that the Ori ships left a few of the vessels intact when they came through the Supergate - after all, while most of the ships were in bits once they'd been finished with, others were 'dead in the water' and left behind. The mess we saw at the end of S9 looked pretty final, but we only saw what was going on around the Supergate - chances are that Emerson withdrew the Odyssey once they were no longer able to contribute anything to the battle other than yet more debris and corpses. At least that way there's someone to keep tabs on the Ori, and to come back and look for survivors. Which they did.

It seems unlikely that the Ori would choose to chase down and destroy this one vessel given that it can't stop any of them - it can't even keep up with their ships, so why bother? It's possible that they also decided that a few witnesses to the overwhelming power of the Ori might come in handy to spread rumours across the Galaxy that we are all well stuffed.

Shame about the Korelev, though. Bye-Bye Chekov - we're gonna miss you, mate.:danielanime08:

I thought Adria was interesting, too. Loved the eyes - weren't they creepy? Despite everything about her - she's Orici with everything that implies - she's also human, and wants her Mum to approve of her.

Of course, do we believe her view of the dispute between the Ori and the Ancients? Who really is telling the truth about that, then? Does the identity of the messenger validate the message? Orlin told us that the Ori were the baddies - Adria tells us that it's really the Ancients. Both are the product of extreme determination to get their message across, but who's the fibber? I imagine time (and the rest of S10) will tell.

Good to have you back, folks!

Rottie
October 21st, 2006, 01:55 AM
I didn't really like this episode,I guess I really do miss the older cast.
It seems sam's place is not 1st anymore,which I am sure a few here might agree. *red face*
It was an "okay" episode,but nothing I could re-watch again,whcih is a shame.
But I look forward to the next episode...:o

Anubis69
October 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
... Magnets.

I liked this ep. It's good to know that i wasn't the only one who thought Bra'tac was acting oddly. And i'm also disappointed we didn't actually see teal'c getting tortured (again). Not that i enjoy that kind of stuff it's just... more dramatic. Makes me feel something again for a character who, along with sam, took a back seat in S9.

As for Mitchell... At least he was more... consistent! And Vala... I've really begun to like her. She has, to quote a random Asgard, greeeeeaaat potential.... IMO.

john44444444
October 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
vala said that one of the ori weapons paralized and that one killed just like the gould weapons ,copy!

Elite Anubis Guard
October 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
^^It's somewhat of a standard for Sci-fi shows, anyway.
Bit late on my comments but you know the saying. I really enjoyed this. S9 wasn't that good IMHO but the finale was pretty awesome and I have to say, I really enjoyed Flesh and Blood, more so than it's Atlantis counterpart. For the last season, I always enjoyed Atlantis more and for me to enjoy SG-1 more, it must have been good.

I love the direction the show is going, the almost gothic style. The sets of the Ori ship were amazing and I'm finding myself enjoying the Ori now. At first, I thought it was just another cop-off of Anubis but now it's really evolving.

The episode was very engaging, thrilling and Mitch, I now love.

john44444444
October 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
i agree thay are fantaski ,I love vala and daniel in this episodehttp://www.section31.com/images/guide/18/10-1.jpg

Orovingwen
October 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Well this episode starts the last season. We see all of the maincast survive (surprise) and that the bad guys are really bad and that they needed to be defeded and the situiation is very hopeless... *yawn*

I loved the Adria story Arc, taht is going to be really interesting. And Vala as mother is a nice change. I am really looking forward to it. Even if this whole thing is a really great reminder of the Jossverse. Vala is like Cordy and Adria is going to be Jasmine and Tomin looks like Mal/Nate *lol*
And great thing is that Morena Baccarin is in there then so more Jossgate :D

full.infinity
October 29th, 2006, 07:38 AM
vala said that one of the ori weapons paralized and that one killed just like the gould weapons ,copy!

The Ori and the Ancients use similar technology. The Goa'uld probably copied it from the Ancients.

angelfire east
November 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I liked the episode, it wasn't the strongest opener but I still liked it.

I loved all the Denial/Vala scenes, I loved all of Vala's scenes infact. I liked Mitchell, Sam, Teal'c too. Bra'tac was acting a bit odd to me, but I get the feeling that he might have given up (thought it was easier to die with honor rather then fight this battle) on a unconscious level.

I like the Cam/Sam handshake but I wish it had been hand holding instead. Friends can hold hands without it being romactic and that's what I wanted.

I loved Sam not believing Daniel was dead, it felt like another joke about the amoutn of times danny has died without staying dead.

I thought Adria was interesting, can't wait to see more of her. I hope being human and oriri(SP) comes into play (her bond with Vala). OUt of the three actress who played Adria I think I like the second one best, the youngest one was super cute and the teen one was nice too.:)

Elite Anubis Guard
November 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Didn't realise the actress for little Adria was the same as the lassy from Silent Hill. Nice little actress she is and very suited for the role.

full.infinity
November 9th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Didn't realise the actress for little Adria was the same as the lassy from Silent Hill. Nice little actress she is and very suited for the role.
Which little Adria? There are three of those. The youngest was actually RCC's daughter.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 9th, 2006, 02:05 PM
The last one. Take it you haven't seen that film then.

full.infinity
November 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
The last one. Take it you haven't seen that film then.
No I haven't.

PG15
November 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM
No, not the last one; the last one was a slightly older version of Adria.

You mean the one that had the long talk with Vala about the Ancients lying, right?

Elite Anubis Guard
November 10th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Ah, yes. She was the middle one:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0272706/

Ozzy O'NeiLL
February 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Ah, yes. She was the middle one:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0272706/

Though I do not want to ask about you people's fancies of clearly underaged girls, I would like to point out that the scene with Vala telling Adria off was one of the best Vala moments of the first Ep. The fact that this scene graces my sig is merely coincidence *cough*

MaeveBran
February 11th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I find I can't quite get my head around the whole Daniel thing. You know what flashed into my mind when he was aiming at Adria's head was back in Children of the Gods when he exterminated a whole whack of Goa'uld symbiotes. Sam tells him not to because that will make him no better than a Goa'uld but then he does it anyway and she gives him quite the look. And then during Prototype, didn't he want to kill Kalik?

And then there's the crying over the robot - makes me go hmmm.

First of all the symbiote killing was in the episode Bloodlines not Children of the Gods. Second, Daniel has been known to kill people and aliens. (How many Jaffa has he killed in the middle of fire fights or by helping blow stuff up? Lots.) But the point is he looks for another way first. Once that fails he goes to plan B. Lastly he said 'should have' not 'wanted to'. He knew that Adria was going to be very dangerous and it might have saved thousands of lives to have killed her then and nipped this crusade in the bud. I think had he actually killed her he would have regretted the nesscisary loss of life.

He cried over the robot because she was sintient and he had been getting through to her. He knew that if he had actually succeeded at getting through he might be able end the repilicator threat. But since Reese was killed people were going to die fighting the replicators. I don't see the contradiction in character.

klor'el
February 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
WOW .. this sounds good..

unfortunately here in australia we have not seen any of season 10 yet :(

but reading all this makes me real keen to see it though ;)

Ozzy O'NeiLL
February 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
First of all the symbiote killing was in the episode Bloodlines not Children of the Gods. Second, Daniel has been known to kill people and aliens. (How many Jaffa has he killed in the middle of fire fights or by helping blow stuff up? Lots.) But the point is he looks for another way first. Once that fails he goes to plan B. Lastly he said 'should have' not 'wanted to'. He knew that Adria was going to be very dangerous and it might have saved thousands of lives to have killed her then and nipped this crusade in the bud. I think had he actually killed her he would have regretted the nesscisary loss of life.

He cried over the robot because she was sintient and he had been getting through to her. He knew that if he had actually succeeded at getting through he might be able end the repilicator threat. But since Reese was killed people were going to die fighting the replicators. I don't see the contradiction in character.

Me neither. Well summed up, MaeveBran.

Daniel's VERY conscientious indeed. And wrt to Kalik (Anubis's son), he already had a personal battle with Anubis and he KNEW first-hand just what kind of trouble the guy could pose. He was very serious when he said they needed to kill him. He wouldn't go over sth like that lightly...

And he was right in the Reese case though...

Pity he didn't pop a cap in Adria, but then killing an infant... Ah well she'll be back :daniel:

Two_L's
July 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
The last scene in the ep was basically saying we're going back to our roots for this season. It looks to be good. Maybe like DS9 during the Domimon war good.

I agree. The last scene with the mention of their previous fights against the goa'uld seemed to indicate that the final season might revert back to some 'old school' SG-1 that I loved. I hope that is the case! (Final season premiered here tonight, so I'm going to be a bit behind the times :p)

Good episode. I see great potential for Season 10 (compared to the crappy 9th season). Cam is getting better and better every episode.

Cam was written really well in this episode. Last season he seemed a bit silly and felt, to me, like just a replacement for Jack. Not that I didn't like his humour, he made me laugh, but in this episode he showed much more leadership qualities and the scene between him and Bra'tac was great.

When Daniel said he would have shot Adria, I was surprised that he was ok with that, when a few seasons ago he was furious with Jack for shooting a 'robot' who could have killed them. Very interesting to see this development in his character.

As someone who really hated season 9, I loved this episode. The main reason I wasn't a fan of season 9 was Vala, but I have to say I loved her in this ep. She was funny but not over-the-top, and I hope the Adria(sp?) plotline will tone her down a little, because I think I could really love her character.

I didn't mind Vala last season. She was amusing, but slightly annoying at the same time. However, I really liked her in 'Flesh and Blood' and am looking forward to seeing more of her, and her daughter. :)

Favorite moment? When Sam and Teal'C insisted on coming in the hope of getting Daniel, because it definitely reminded me of how close these three people are.

Indeed. The original sg-1 members sticking together. ;) I was also very happy to see Bra'tac.

Oh I forgot to mention what I liked is how they went back and told you what happend to the characters, and how they got there, going back to the battle and how they got out of that scenerio.

The flashbacks to what happened to each character during the battle was really cool to see since we got to see how they got out of the situation from their own point of view.

Overall, I thought it was a really good start to season 10 and I can't wait to see what happens! :D

garhkal
July 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Though you would have thought with those flashbacks that maybe a few more could have gotten off..

the fifth man
July 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Looking back on things, this episode was a really great way IMO to kick off Season 10. It really set things up well for what was to come.

Jill_Ion
July 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm looking forward - just got the DVDs last week and have gotten through the first four eps.

I liked this episode. Set things up for what's to come. Vala had her creepy kid? Check. Found out it was the Koralev that was blown up? Check. SG-1 is intact? Check.

Ready for more!

John W
August 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I've just watched this episode on DVD. I had been really looking forward to seeing it, after being left with the "Camelot" cliffhanger for nearly a year.

It was a really excellent episode, made even better with the flashbacks showing what happened to Mitchell and Daniel during the battle. The destruction of the Korolev, seen in the Fighter Bay was really spectacular and great visual and special effects with live explosions on set and CGI effects of the bay falling apart as Mitchell's fighter just about escaped.

I was very surprised to see Colonel Chekhov again, since I thought "Camelot" would be the last time we'd see the character. Having said that, I take it that despite the flashback, Chekhov's still gone down with the ship as he's not seen later in the episode. It's a shame because he was a good character and it had been great to see him finally get some action in "Camelot".

I thought the overall look of this episode seemed more filmic than usual. What few scenes that took place in the SGC showed it darker than usual. There was also a cool new view of the Ori fleet in Hyperspace. But I think the best visual effect was of the Ori ship landing on Chulak. I'd always thought the views of the main city on Chulak from previous episodes looked a little flat and 2D. But in this episode they really stood out in gloriously detailed 3D CGI. A credit to the visual effects department.

I also want to mention I couldn't help but laugh in that scene when Mitchell decides the only way to get Carter onto the Odyssey was to literally scoop her up into the Fighter Bay. Despite me guessing they'd try that much earlier in the episode, it was still priceless when Carter realises what Mitchell's doing.

As for Vala's kid, that was definitely an "Omen" moment when Adria first appeared with those creepy eyes and said, "Hello, Mother!"

A great start to the season and showing that even after 10 years, the show still hasn't lost it's excellent quality.:cool:

garhkal
August 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I did catch that Ode to the Omen films with young Adria..

MechaThor
August 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM
A Excellent episode kick starting a very gd Series 10!

The mood of "we are getting beatern" was a greta twist as normally SG1 start a series with a win!

The highlight for me was the battle over Chulak (sp?) As i loved that unlike in the Camalot battle this time the battle was not all on one level. The best scene being when one hatak was escaping an oncoming ori ship only to be shot from "above" by another ori ship which came downwards from the top of frame!

September 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
has anyone ever noticed in this ep, when the oddysey is saving carter, that they say the oddysey has a "minimum speed" surely if something can stop, it must be able to go through all the speeds between being stopped and going fast right?

John W
September 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
has anyone ever noticed in this ep, when the oddysey is saving carter, that they say the oddysey has a "minimum speed" surely if something can stop, it must be able to go through all the speeds between being stopped and going fast right?

Good point! But upon giving it some thought, I can only comment on how ship speeds are done in various Star Trek video games I've got. While you can either stop or go to 1-quarter impulse, there isn't a way of being between the two.

However, in real-science terms, you could quote the old adage of "A body in motion tends to stay in motion." Therefore, Odyssey could've probably fired one of it's thrusters for a brief time in order to achieve enough forward momentum to just drift along towards Carter. It probably wouldn't have been fast, but then that's what would've been needed.

It's a bit like that episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" when the Enterprise is stuck in an asteroid field which is sucking power from the engines and converting it into radiation. They get out by just using a quick burst from the impulse engines to get them started and then just use thrusters to make minor course corrections.:cool:

PG15
September 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Maybe they didn't want the ship to just drift to Carter, so opted to have the engine on at all times so they have more control over where the ship is going?

the fifth man
September 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe they didn't want the ship to just drift to Carter, so opted to have the engine on at all times so they have more control over where the ship is going?

That and, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't she running out of oxygen?

captain jake
November 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
That and, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't she running out of oxygen?

Correct you are, there really wasn't any wiggle room.

SeaBee
February 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Not a bad episode, and a reasonable start to the season.

madaboutdanny
February 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I liked it very much, maybe for the 6 months of waiting....

garhkal
February 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Of the kids who played young adria which did you prefer??

madaboutdanny
February 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Of the kids who played young adria which did you prefer??
The second, absolutely, but the first is so, so cute!!! I didn't like at all the third.

amconway
December 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM
The second, absolutely, but the first is so, so cute!!! I didn't like at all the third.
Ah, but the third was so believably evil. I thought she was a fine young actress. If she hadn't been able to do 'evil of the ori in a human body', then Daniel wouldn't have been able to point the gun at her with any credibility.

Regarding the episode. I'm not usually a fan of space battles, but this one was chilling, sad and horrifying. It advanced the plot in a way that battles rarely do.

vzzzzzbx
July 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Shame we never saw a bit more of the battle between the Ori fighters and the gliders, or a bit of ground combat action between the Ori troops and the Jaffa on Chulak.

Jeff O'Connor
October 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I just consciously realized for like the first time in three years since this first aired. Chekov died, didn't he? ...:(

John W
October 18th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Yes, he did. But at least he finally got some action and died heroically.

Also, I know the scene with him in for this episode is a flashback to the previous episode but I actually wasn't expecting to see him again after that. So it's nice they gave him another little appearance.

On a related note, I thought it was kinda far-fetched that somehow in the middle of the Korolev exploding Daniel managed to ring off the ship. There hardly seemed time! Mitchell's escape seemed a bit more believable because you actually see everything blowing-up around his F-302 as it leaves the hangar.

Jeff O'Connor
October 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM
That's true, at least he died heroically. I just wish the poor guy had more than just one battle before his ship went down.

The Daniel flashbacks were a little unbelievable, but I guess the writers figured what the viewers have already known for seasons. 'Eh, it's Daniel...' ;)

mrscopterdoc
April 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
The more I watch SG1 the more and more I like it :D

maneth
January 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Quite some start to the final season, left me rather breathless. Especially the last minute beam-outs... :p

Jae'a
May 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/51650.html)

Adria is creepy as hell...
Loved how they got Sam back into the ship :cool:

mathpiglet
May 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ah, Adria. Delightfully evil child.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
May 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Good episode. I see great potential for Season 10 (compared to the crappy 9th season). Cam is getting better and better every episode.
Agreed.

The scenes with Cam and Bra'tac when they were on the Ha'tak was kind of funny.

Tomorrow, a rehash, maybe, I don't know haven't seen it in a while.

Lieutenant Sparrow
May 2nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
Lucky the Ori didn't destroy the Odyssey. Pretty damn cool the way they got Sam.

Seeing Kvasir aboard Odyssey reminded me of Hermiod being on Daedalus.

Oh yay Adria. I don't look forward to the major pain in the butt she's going to be.

I think Bra'tac wanting to ram the ship into the Ori ship was stupid. He had to know it wouldn't work. The small dogfight between the Jaffa and Ori ships on Chulak was short but sweet. Would it be an even fight between the ground forces?

Yes Cam it is time for a plan.

Matt G
May 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Right...

1. I've never seen Sam look so vulnerable.

2. Lucian Alliance are morons.

3. I can sympathise with Bra'tac, he was about to possibly see his homeworld get hammered and wasn't sure if could be taken back, can't blame him for not thinking straight.

4. Interesting that Adria got her name from Vala.

5. Hey, fact is that SG1 have all been in this game a long time and against the Ori they've had a losing record so far. Last scene was very realistic.

garhkal
May 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM

If you put kid adria next to the kid Damien from the original Omen, who comes out more evil??

1. I've never seen Sam look so vulnerable.

I wonder if she bought the pilot anything for making it such a good 'scoop' up?

Krisz
May 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
How do you follow that ending from season 9?!

Pick up the pieces, and what a great way they did it too! Flying the Odyssey up to Sam to 'collect' her in the F-302 bay. You just can't help holding your breath as the tiny figure is faced with the huge oncoming ship! Mitchell's F-302 being blown clear by the force of the Koralev's destruction. Daniel has certainly had a lot of practice with getting off ships that are ready to blow up quickly! Go 'Space Monkey'!!! :D Teal'c draws the short stick with the miserable Lucian Alliance leader!

But for all that, there is the wonders of Asgard beaming technology that they have to hand now, how convenient! :P :D

I think Adria should have remained at the kid stage, there is something so much more menacing about an evil kid!

garhkal
May 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think Adria should have remained at the kid stage, there is something so much more menacing about an evil kid!

Na.. cause of the backlash the company would get, had our heroes sought out Adria to kill her (like we tried) and she was still a kid, that they would have received.

jelgate
May 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I remember this is the first episode where I discovered GW. I was so in shock of how awesome Camelot was that I was searching the Internet to find S10 spoilers. This is a pretty good episode. Not great like Camelot but its not bad. Its one of those connect the dots episode as SG1 tries to regroup after what happened in the last episode so thier is nothing surprising but its still a good episode. I remember rolling my eyes at Mitchell using the Odyssey to save Sam but I liked his speech to Bra'tac about foolishness of particpating in a suicide mission. I also really like Adria on the Ori ship. It gives a nice face to the Ori. Something that was missing from them in S9. I kind of compare her of Apophis. They both are villians with a personal connection to SG1. Those kind of enemies are the best

garhkal
May 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
True.. the growing up of adria was nice.. though i think the 2nd phase of her was to me the best.. prior to her full on adult evilness.

Brother Freyr
May 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Doing the re-watch. Flesh & Blood is a strong season opener. My favorite line:

Landry (to Woolsey): I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
she is.

Cluas
February 15th, 2013, 12:18 AM
This was a good opener. I can't believe I'm already at the last season :cameronanime08b:

garhkal
February 20th, 2013, 03:04 PM
she is.

For one of my fave past times i do role playing games (d6 starwars, adnd, shadowrun), and one of the gaming modules i wrote up for SW, had an evil child (girl)...
One of the people playing that module said "Why does it always have to be the girls who are the evil ones"!??!?

Seaboe Muffinchucker
February 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
I guess s/he'd never heard of the Boys from Brazil. Or Damian.

Seaboe

enibas5
July 29th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I really like this episode - and even more now that I have watched it several times.
I was never really annoyed by Vala before as others were, but with this ep. I really started to love that character and CB's acting skills. She did so extremely well throughout the whole ep. and especially scenes with Adria. The different Adria actresses also did a great job. Even the youngest, who only had a few lines, delivered those so incredibly bitter sweet... still wondering, if they were wearing contacts or the coloured eyes were a result of post-production.
Every cast member got a decent on screen time, while Teal'c unfortunately had to spend quite a lot of it being tortured - AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Daniel/Vala: Love it, now that Vala calmed down. Great chemistry. Seems as if they start to bring the best out of each other.
In their first scene Daniel's reaction to Vala's question "do you know, what's strange?" cracks me up, every time I watch it. It is just a simple "No", but it is sooo wrapping up this totally bizarre situation of somebody just having told you the strangest things possible and then asking you "you know, what's strange?" as if everything else were 'normal' news...
It is hilarious and it is those little things that cannot be scripted or rehearsed, but just pop up once in a while, when you don't expect them. Those little things is what go me into "Stargate" in the first place, since I am really no scifi-fan in general. :o

garhkal
July 29th, 2015, 04:50 PM
It seems each character has their 'focus.

Tealc is torture guy
Daniel is 'converted or killed guy
Jack is smart but stupid guy

Falcon Horus
October 23rd, 2020, 02:58 PM
And so it begins... the last season of Stargate SG-1 and the first time I'm watching season 10 on DVD. Much like season 9 I haven't seen any of the episodes since it went off the air in the US.

First of all, VALA IS BAAAAAACK!!! :D
And I couldn't be happier. :D

So... we're getting our asses kicked by the Ori and for the time being we have no weapon powerful enough to take on these bad guys as they ravage their way through the galaxy, bringing death and destruction to the non-believers. Hallowed are the Ori.... blah blah blah... :docianime15:

Bra'tac always looking for an epic death and never quite getting there because other people around him are the voice of reason -- luckily.

Daniel never not dying -- he's good at pretending but always getting out at the nick of time. Wasn't it just his luck he transported himself onto the one Ori ship which also contained his best friend Vala and the newly arrived brat of the century, the Orici.

Ori ships are still toiletseats -- cannot be unseen. :sokaranime06:

How would you rate SG-1's "Flesh and Blood?"

Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor
Terrible

*******EDIT*********

3-episode quiz: Crusade, Camelot & Flesh And Blood (s10) (https://forms.gle/iQmbyb4pMA6jNvAd8)

Jigsaw puzzle: Flesh And Blood (https://www.jigidi.com/solve/hg9b6oot/1001-fleshandblood/)