This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still don't get it...WHY?

Why did Sci-fi get rid of the BEST 3 hours in TV history?

SG1
    Atlantis
    BG

Now Fridays are still great, but its nowhere near the same without BG to finish it off.

Now when BG returns it will be one great hour them boom...its over.

I really hope they air all 3 back to back to back again come Jan.
    When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
    I miss you.
    Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

BSG has longer production times. Say for 2005, filming began in Fabruary for all three shows. The Stargates wrapped in the fall, BSG didn't until late december (They take a small break in between the ten episode "sections" to further polish scripts and rest up the cast. The also probably deal with the financial matter with SkyOne). The CGI in BSG also takes much longer to create. No offense to the Stargates, the CGI looks great on both shows, but neither compare to BSG's.

The main reason however are the fans. All the complaints that occured in 2.5 about the stories not being "tight" or as great as the other episodes caused RDM to reconsider his plans. He probably realized he couldn't make a great product with only 2 months (filming was to begin mid february).

He took an extra 2 months (filming started in April) to polish scripts and lay out the ground work for the season to make sure it lives up to the fans expectations that he himself bred out. He always critized his work on the latter episodes of 2.5 becuase he knew they were rushed. Even though they turned out terrific, they were rushed. He doesn't want to do that again.

And as for 2007, I almost 100% sure that all three shows will be running together.
    Last edited by Chricton; 15 July 2006, 03:16 PM.
    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

i understand what your saying, but the new show EUReKA looks decent,im sure it wont be as good as BSG, but it seems like a solid show
      anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

EUReKA is going to be aired as the 3rd hour on Friday? If thats the truth ill be happy, I saw a preview for it and it looked pretty good.
        I miss you.

Comment

No, it's not. It airs Tuesdays by itself.

Comment

Watching SG-1, SG-A yesterday was depressing cuz I knew BSG wasn't gonna follow after It certainly didn't help that SG-1 and especially SG-A were dissapointing as hell and made me wanted to see the new BSG's even more.
            We're whalers on the moon,
            We carry a harpoon.
            But there ain't no whales
            So we tell tall tales
            And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Besides the longer production times, like Chrichton said, it's also a way to keep people watching SciFi on Friday nights. The mid-seaon break last year, from my point of veiw, was a bit awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
                Watching SG-1, SG-A yesterday was depressing cuz I knew BSG wasn't gonna follow after It certainly didn't help that SG-1 and especially SG-A were dissapointing as hell and made me wanted to see the new BSG's even more.
                Yeah, I felt the same. I always used to get pumped for two hours watching the Stargates, I didn't know how much I'd miss that last hour. It really puts a damper on the whole night. On days that certain Stargate episodes were "bad" I could always fall back on BSG knowing it would be good regardless.

Though I thought last nights episodes were good....

Comment

Personally, I dislike the whole midseason break thing.
                  Time is an illusion... Lunchtime, doubly so.

Comment

Wait...so BG won't have the mid season break this year? Sorry im a little confused right now.
                    I miss you.

Comment

Actually, scifi's move was a smart one. Normally we have 10 weeks on and 10 weeks off between show seasons and midseasons. What SciFi did was give us 10 weeks of Stargate SG1 and Atlantis and < Insert something > then when they break for 10 weeks, we get BSG and two other shows (most likely Doctor Who and Eureka) so we can have new shows and materials year round plus leaving 12 weeks to be distributed through the year for special programs, shows, and such.

Comment

Forgot to mention, Why have one 3 hour block of scifi programming when you can have two three hour blocks!

Comment

But the thing is there is no second three hour block. As far as I can tell, BSG will be all by itself. Eureka airs Tuesdays and Dr. Who, after it's bad ratings performance, might not be coming as soon as many would like. The show did nothing but slowly lose viewers throughout its first run on Scifi, they may not be looking to buy more. They may, but not that soon.

The two three hour block thing is a great idea, it's just scifi channel doesn't have enough shows to fill the voids. Maybe once the new BSG/Stargate spinoffs are on the air, but not yet. The don't want to put everything they have into one night, either. I makes for bad scheduling. They want more nights with more of their own original programming. They tried this with Mondays/Saturdays back in 2000, it failed after a season run, then they tried this with Wednesdays and it worked, somewhat. They lost some of the shows, but others stuck. Now they want Tuesday in the same boat.

You may have noticed, but Scifi used Eureka to fill in the final spot of a Tueday three hour block, with ECW and Dead Like Me. "Who Wants to be a Superhero" will also be airing on Tuesdays.

It's kind of annoying that BSG might be airing all by itself, and considering that lead-ins also help ratings. No strong lead in might hurt the shows performance.
                          Last edited by Chricton; 16 July 2006, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Anyone have any idea what's going to air on Friday in those other two slots once BSG starts in October? The Stargates are done with the first half of the season then, right? Are they going to show Stargate reruns or something else entirely?

I also worry that BSG's ratings will be hurt by losing the fans who have been tuning in mainly for Stargate but stick around for BSG. Will they continue to watch on Friday if there are no new Stargate eps?

Comment

I would have thought that pairing Eurkea and BSG would have been a smart move- Eureka looks like it's something a bit lighter, so having it lead in to BSG would either bring an audience that might not have watched BSG and pull them in. Chances are that here on SPACE we may have BSG S3 and 4400 S3 paired together on Saturdays (which I think is the very smart thing to do, when they did that before I had to force myself not to watch 4400 because I didn't have time) and possibly Eureka S1 and Atlantis S2 paired up on Sundays (SG-1 being by its lonesome self on Thursdays)- but I take it sci-fi doesn't show 4400 though, that's what I'd put with BSG.

Comment

Working...
                              X