Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis Episode Questions (Spoilers for Hide and Seek and 38 Minutes))

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Episode Questions (Spoilers for Hide and Seek and 38 Minutes))

OK, guys. I can't figure these two out, so any ideas here would be greatly appreciated. And some of these are kind of long-winded so bear with be...

1) In 38 Minutes, we saw that the puddle jumper wouldn't move forward by itself into the Stargate unless it was already moving forward/being propelled by something. So why in every other example I can think of (even in the movie) do objects seem to be automatically pulled through by the event horizon? All I can come up with is that maybe the automatic-pull feature is a default action, so if an object resists that pull for too long, the gate will just stop trying to pull it through and let the object come through on it's own? (I hope that made sense too...) But then I don't see how the puddle jumper could have slipped further into the gate during the episode if they had already come to a complete stop. Maybe it has something to do with the gate being in outer-space or something like that? Any thoughts?

2) In Hide and Seek, McKay had the ancient's personal shield. We saw it glowing every time something foriegn came into contact with it (hand, coffee, etc...). So if he is walking on the floor/ground, does the shield glow/respond to that, or does it somehow ignore/override it?
    They also said something about the shield imprinting upon it's user so that someone else can't use it. What possible advantage is there in that? Doing this just to keep the Wraith from using it would still seem like a waste, because it shouldn't come off of the Ancients unless they wanted it too. So do we assume that the shield McKay picked up was one that had never been used? Or is it possible to reset the shield so it can be re-imprinted upon a new user? Last question here, I promise. What actually caused McKay's shield to fail at the end of the episode? Was it just that the shield's power was completely off drained by the creature (which supposedly had no direct contact with the actual personal shield generator), or also partially because McKay wanted it to come off again? I didn't think it was an overload (because that would just stink to know that there was actually a weakness to the shield ). And can they still recharge it to use it again?
    As a side note, a cool theory I have about the shield (which currently has absolutely no evidence to support/debunk it) is that unless something like a solid object/foriegn gas comes too close to the shield, it basically does not exist/is not active there. This would save energy to the shield, but also allow for fresh air/etc... to enter for the user to continue breathing properly. (I hope that made sense...)

Now I'm done. Finally. Any more ideas/solutions?
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

The gate may have been pulling the ship through, just much too slowly, because it doesn't pull things in that fast, even the flowers in Fire & Water took about 5 seconds to go through...

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
      The gate may have been pulling the ship through, just much too slowly, because it doesn't pull things in that fast, even the flowers in Fire & Water took about 5 seconds to go through...
      Maybe the gate continues to pull an object through, but only at the maximum velocity with which it enters? But then when the ship stopped completely, it should have still been feeling that pull, right? That could explain why they slid in further - the gate was still trying to pull the entire object through (a safety feature on the gate to help more flexible objects in a situation very similar to this). But then they should have still been pulled through automatically when the pods were retracted, so... what am I missing here?
      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Working...
      X