PDA

View Full Version : The Real World (306)

Pages : 1 [2]

gateship15
August 21st, 2008, 02:45 AM
i found this episode kind of dull. the hole mental institute and atlantas being a figment of her imagination has been done to many times before.

Butlersgate
March 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
i found this episode kind of dull. the hole mental institute and atlantas being a figment of her imagination has been done to many times before.

it evolved the use of nanites even further and i thought it was a cool idea.

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM

ARE YOU SERIOUS. This was uber cool and had one of the best plots for a stargate ep. I had no clue what was going on and it kept me guessing.

8.5/10

gateship15
May 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
i have watched buffy a lot and they have an episode like this so for me it was been there done it and i guess it just seemed done but maybe i should watch it again maybe next time i may like it better (since it was on late when i first watched it on t.v)

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM
i always love these stand alone, completely different episodes

brooklynrocket
January 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm delurking to put in my two-cents worth.

Everyone seemed to have Loved the episode or they were bored (probably from the lack of explosions). I enjoyed watching an excellent actress stretch her wings a bit and it was lovely.

Well done, Torri.

Also, I'd like to address the ending, which most people seem to think was the writers taking the easy way out regarding Elizabeth defeating the nanites through willpower. I thought that was addressed early on when Carson mentioned her white blood cells.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but didn't Carson state that Elizabeth's white blood cells destroyed the nanites in the petri dish, but that the nanites had somehow convinced her body that they were not a threat?

All John had to do was get Elizabeth to recognize the threat and start fighting back. Then her brain/body would recognize the danger and send in the white blood cells.

Right?

DEFINITELY NOT.

If I get AIDS, but decide that I'm going to "really strongly think about fighting back", does that make my AIDS magically go away? We don't have direct control over our immune systems.

And even if your explanation holds a droplet of water, sorry, it's just too weak of a plot point for me.

ktebid
March 10th, 2010, 12:28 AM
To be honest I couldn't be bothered watching this a second time round. The first time I found it interesting and was a bit confused until the first scene with Atlantis, but this is not an episode I will be watching repeatedly. Weir did a good job and was portrayed well.

Elorendil
July 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is a rather bizarre episode. Bizarre and disturbing (especially towards the beginning). I didn't like it at all. I will acknowledge that the acting was great and it was great to see Elizabeth have her own episode, but I wish it had a different plot.

mrscopterdoc
September 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Normally I don't like "Earth" episodes, but I really like this one. It is great to see Bam Bam and this is wonderful for Weir.

maneth
January 16th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Great to see O'Neill again, even if he wasn't O'Neill. This sort of reminded me of the episode Home, where we saw General Hammond even if he wasn't the real one. I liked this take on the nanites, but not the mental hospital stuff.

Blizzah
May 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
The battles within the mind. Not a bad episode but not my favourite.

mathpiglet
May 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
If nanites transfer so easily why didn't the whole team get infected when they had their brains read in the previous episode? Why only Weir?

SamanthaJenniferChloe
April 25th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Hello! :cool:

I believe that the nanites that were in Weir were programed to affect only her. She was the one Niam went after so it stands to reason that he wanted only her to be infected.

I found it really interesting that in the "real world" that Weir was in O'Neill was someone that she had turned to in her mind. I was glad that John was able to navigate Weir back to her "real world" at Atlantis.

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 8th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Not a ep I was looking forward to.

I find it quite boring. I think it took me about 2 hours to watch it as I was constantly stopping and doing other things.

The part where Weir had no mouth or eyes was freaky. And seeing Jack was cool.

Next ep please.

Lythisrose
August 8th, 2012, 07:54 AM
From Joe Mallozzi's Blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/august-7-2012-akemi-takes-an-olympic-dive-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-the-real-world/):

THE REAL WORLD (306)

Paul and I are big Carl Binder fans for purely selfish reasons. He writes solid first drafts and is able to incorporate notes quickly with a minimum of hand wringing and tearful reproaches. He is a show runner’s dream writer, as reliable as a Mustang convertible in his ability to deliver the goods in impressive yet understated fashion, relieving us of the necessity of doing any of our own driving – or, alternately, stripping him for parts and abandoning his gutted chassis in some sketchy neighborhood. Well, you know what I mean. He’s great, especially when it comes to character-driven stories. So it should come as no surprise that Carl was the go-to guy when it came to the Elizabeth Weir episodes. Before I Sleep was his memorable first writerly foray into Stargate: Atlantis and, two seasons later, he’s lost none of the skill, inventiveness, and humor that landed him a staff position on the franchise. The Real World is a head-spinner of an episode that takes place in two different realities – one real, one imagined, and yet for all of its illusory setting and fictitious elements, the alternate world offers up the opportunity to see a side of Elizabeth we, as viewers, rarely get the chance to glimpse.

Richard Dean Anderson guest stars in this episode. I recall he and Torri had a great time shooting their scenes and that, in turn, translated into the palpable onscreen chemistry between them. Makes me sad we didn’t get the chance to explore this a little more.

Also guesting in this episode was our own stunt coordinator, James “Bam Bam” Bamford who has a cameo as one of the burly orderlies who restrain Weir.

As much as I enjoyed the big space-based battles or team-centered off-world adventures, it was always nice to occasionally have a quieter, spotlight episode that featured a single character. And this one hit all the right notes.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Good episode. Good to see RDA in that ep. I give it a ***. Next Weeks episode look awesome.
Disagree, kind of. It's an average episode. (See that's the reason I quote myself, to see what I thought after my first viewing)

23 minutes, that's how long it we saw a cast member other than Torri. I think John could've talked a bit louder to Weir.

Tomorrow, Koyla is back and captures Shep.

Krisz
August 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I quite like the altered state, out of mind experiences Stargate creates. Who knew there was so many ways to have ones mind messed with!!!

Here it's Weir who suffers. One of her best performances for me, she moved effortlessly through all the confusion towards the realisation that she was not wrong about her life on Atlantis being real. It's always great to see RDA and fun to see him go all sinister at the end.

Great creepy moments, O'Neill's head doing that freaky shaking and readjustment, Weir's face disappearing and Sheppard's face pressing into that curtain.

Matt G
August 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Well...this was the night when by TV decided not to work on Stargate night which made this of all eps my grandparents' introduction to Atlantis.

1. Watching it second time round was frustrating, you knew from the start what was going down, I wanted them just to get on with it.

2. It was the finer details I'd forgotten about, stuff like the head morph, the EMP attempt etc.

3. Weir wasn't in there for a lifetime just what...a few months?

OK ep but not the greatest to rewatch.

jelgate
August 16th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I remember after this episode and Irrestible I was wondering if SGA was doing a Spin City reunion. Over all this is a character episode and it shows with a weak plot to tie everything together. The whole notion of it was all a dream is a scifi cliche. Almost everyone scifi show does your amazing adventures wasn't real. The whole stopping the nanites answer was to let Elizabeth fight just highlights the character nature of this episode. So that begs the question was it a good character episode or not? Sadly I have to say the latter. I do not feel we really learned anything new about Weir and it just feels like 42 minutes of Weir trying to prove she is not insance and that Atlantis was not real. Which is shame since I feel the RDA guest spot led little to this episode. It was a waste for him to be in this episode. I would have liked to see more of how the Asurans had damanged Weir but that was glossed over in a favor of exploring her "dream". How disappointing

Jae'a
August 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/69094.html)
Wow, kinda scary, especially the illusions of Jack's head (that made me jump) and something in the bed. I want those playing cards though! :P

Baron Of Hell
August 26th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I thought it was a ok episode. The troupe has been done to death and they didn't really add a new spin on it.

I liked seeing RDA and Wier on the SG1 set. The acting was well done all around. The story just didn't hold up very well. Shep risking himself and possibly lives of everyone in Atlantis just to get through to her by touch was silly. There were a few good scenes inside her head but most of it was boring.

In the end it doesn't really matter. Thank you linkin park for summing it up for me.

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
The whole episode made me misty for the good ole days.
yes, me too

Zangetsu-san
March 14th, 2016, 10:57 AM
i did think back to that airing of that episode at that time. at ending, after john touched elizabeth's arm then someone in hazmat suit grabbed him out of the way then elizabeth woke up I did notice what she basically mouthed "John? John" twice in that ending of that episode, have you guys noticed that one? That was like she had john on her mind first thing she woke up.

losernerdfriend
March 25th, 2016, 04:48 PM
First viewing!

Overall I thought this was a solid episode. The premise was strong with the whole infected by nanites because of Niam. I thought the ending was a little weak because she just walked through him to defeat him, but other than that, I liked the whole Sheppard in the shadows trying to help and the incorporation of Jack O'Neill into the ep.

Stray Thought:
Therapist: "Imagine you were in my position listening to your story, traveling to another galaxy through a Stargate, leading an expedition to the lost city of Atlantis. Would you believe it?"
Where is Fox Mulder when you need him?! This would be a perfect opportunity for him to pop in with, "I want to believe." Haha.

Favorite line:
Jack O'Neill: "I don't know anything about Atlantis. Except that it was a fairly mediocre Donovan song. Not one of my favorites."