PDA

View Full Version : Progeny (305)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

alaskannut
September 6th, 2006, 01:36 AM
highlights in this episode

seeing a city ship fly, our Atlantis getting destroyed (loved that part) the scene where there are 15 or more Aurora class ships overall great CGI
I only saw 2 Auroras...the rest appeared to belong to at least one...more likely two other classes, based on their appearances;)

sgateatlantis
September 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
the city that was being destored by the ancients is it the same city on rising pt1

PG15
September 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
No.

The Ori
September 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Hmm, interesting!!

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 16th, 2006, 08:05 AM
This was a good episode, but on the other hand it is basically Unnatural Selection re done, and Unnatural Selection is one of my least favourite SG-1 eps.

~Benjamin~
November 16th, 2006, 10:25 AM
i loved this episode even though it is a ripoff of SG1s replicaters there city was amazing i loved it and the scene where the city got destroyed by the ancients and those aurora class ships were like woah totally loved the CGI

overall id give this episode a 8/10 it would of got 10/10 but cause it is a ripoff of SG1 that counts against it

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
the city that was being destored by the ancients is it the same city on rising pt1
are you serious?

~Benjamin~
November 16th, 2006, 10:33 AM
do you mean the one they find on telyas homeworld?

m_wendy_r
November 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Sadly, this episode was ruined for me by the Sky One Presenter who mentioned the replicators just after SG-1 finished. I wasn't fast enough on the fast forward button and heard it all.

So, that meant that I knew they were 'replicator-esque' when we first saw them and not ancients.

But, I'm right in assuming they're not actually replicators, they're nano machines that function the same way? That was my take anyway, because Reese didn't create these ones, the Ancients did.

The whole time I was thinking please don't do the same thing they did to Fifth and use his trust and abandon him. Because that would just be awful. I was pleased they didn't do that but there were similarities - such as the close up of his still face before the credits. Hmmmm.

I did like this episode more than the SG-1 one though. McKay was just as awesome as ever! The guy never disappoints. I loved it when he pushed Shepherds head to see if it was 'real'.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but does it seem that Ronon doesn't have a lot of lines? Why is that? The guy has a great, deep voice. Use IT!

Final point of thought - I wonder if the nano-replicator-machine-person floating in space will still be there to do some damage in the future?

Wendy
Hugs :)

~Benjamin~
November 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Sadly, this episode was ruined for me by the Sky One Presenter who mentioned the replicators just after SG-1 finished. I wasn't fast enough on the fast forward button and heard it all.

So, that meant that I knew they were 'replicator-esque' when we first saw them and not ancients.

But, I'm right in assuming they're not actually replicators, they're nano machines that function the same way? That was my take anyway, because Reese didn't create these ones, the Ancients did.

The whole time I was thinking please don't do the same thing they did to Fifth and use his trust and abandon him. Because that would just be awful. I was pleased they didn't do that but there were similarities - such as the close up of his still face before the credits. Hmmmm.

I did like this episode more than the SG-1 one though. McKay was just as awesome as ever! The guy never disappoints. I loved it when he pushed Shepherds head to see if it was 'real'.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but does it seem that Ronon doesn't have a lot of lines? Why is that? The guy has a great, deep voice. Use IT!

Final point of thought - I wonder if the nano-replicator-machine-person floating in space will still be there to do some damage in the future?

Wendy
Hugs :)

yes i think that atlantis's team might be albe to destroy asuras but then the nano person floating in space will transform into a small ship then rebuild the nano asuras as it only takes one nanobot to rebuild there whole civilisation
:replicatoranime01:

Buba uognarf
November 19th, 2006, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=m_wendy_r;6005614]Sadly, this episode was ruined for me by the Sky One Presenter who mentioned the replicators just after SG-1 finished. I wasn't fast enough on the fast forward button and heard it all.

[QUOTE]

i was lucky enough to see the episode before it aired on sky one, but the stupid sky one presenter did ruin it for my Dad which made me very angry as i made the effort not to spoil it for him...

i suggest for common ground which is number 7, you don't listen to the presenter he may spoil it for you

Elinor
November 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
i was lucky enough to see the episode before it aired on sky one, but the stupid sky one presenter did ruin it for my Dad which made me very angry as i made the effort not to spoil it for him...

Awww...that was a shame! I must admit, I do despair a bit with the level of presentation on SKY. You'd think with all the money they earn that they'd be a bit more...well...professional!

i suggest for common ground which is number 7, you don't listen to the presenter he may spoil it for you

Oh definitely...that's far too good an episode to be spoiled in any way!

:)

Buba uognarf
November 19th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Awww...that was a shame! I must admit, I do despair a bit with the level of presentation on SKY. You'd think with all the money they earn that they'd be a bit more...well...professional!

yeah it's not very professional to tell the audience key aspects of the story before it's aired lol...

but on the subject of the episode, it was very good but i find the asurans a little dry myself

~Benjamin~
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
i found them alright but i hope they do not become the main enemys of SGA

Daniel's_twin
November 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
No worries. I'm pretty sure the Wraith will stay the main antagonists for the show, with the Asurans taking a secondary spot. :cool:

Matt G
November 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
OK...

1. Always liked the human Replicators in SG1 so tweaking that idea for Atlantis was definately a solid bet.

2. Sheppad's mind thing was beautiful. Yes I knew this couldn't be really happening but I hadn't a clue what actually was happening.

3. I'm cutting Weir some slack as she expected to be dealing with Ancients, not Reps.

4. McKay never had any sure fire way of neutralising the Asuran threat peacefully and even he admitted that! With the city he calls home under threat.

So it was a rework of Unnatural Selection to some extent but they pulled it off.

How do you follow the best up of the season so far? By writing a better one! When you're exhaling for 10 mins after watching an ep then you know the writers have earned their paychecks! And though what I've seen of SG1 S10 is definately an improvement on what I saw of S9, the first five eps of Atlantis S3, as a combo have taken their opposite numbers from S1 and 2 and whumped them!

Elite Anubis Guard
November 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
And though what I've seen of SG1 S10 is definately an improvement on what I saw of S9, the first five eps of Atlantis S3, as a combo have taken their opposite numbers from S1 and 2 and whumped them!
That's my general opinion as well. I wasn't found of S9 but S10 has been awesome. And so has Atlantis. I've loved it since it's premiere. And this episode was no exception.

Like you I knew going into it that it would include the Replicaters. But I'm a spoiler hound so :vala: But it was still enjoyable. I loved the entire notion, even thought it was a reworking of SG1.

I loved the entire idea of another Ancient city and I loved seeing it take off and fly and then be destroyed. I only hope we see what's his name again.

LHB
December 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The first half of this was great. The second half felt like watching Unnatural Selection all over again. It fell completely flat for me.

I completely agree. I am getting so disappointed with SG1 & Atlantis right now. At least Atlantis showed some hope at first, but now I feel like they are just recycling storylines. The show seems boring and unoriginal to me. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm really into BSG now. Sigh.

They could have done better than a "Replicator like enemy." That is not a homage to the Replicators or SG1; it's plain old lazy writing.

I think the last straw for me was the mind probing via the hand in the forehead. I mean, come on!

michael_wells
December 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM
It just occured to me, but why didn't McKay pull all three ZPM's from the Asuran cityship when they had the chance (it would have just fell out of orbit and burned up on rentry with no shield)

uknesvuinng
December 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM
It just occured to me, but why didn't McKay pull all three ZPM's from the Asuran cityship when they had the chance (it would have just fell out of orbit and burned up on rentry with no shield)

*best Kryten voice*

A most excellent plan sir, with just two minor drawbacks. One, the shield holds in all the air, and two, humans have a keen affection for breathing.

michael_wells
December 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I would assume that the cityship is airtight enough to maintain an atmosphere for a few minutes.

PG15
December 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Would you base your life on that assumption?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 29th, 2006, 04:13 AM

This was answered in the show;

McKAY: Damn.

TEYLA: What is it?

McKAY: In order to do this, I need to utilise all three ZedP.Ms. I was hoping to bring at least one of them back with us.

michael_wells
December 29th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I know they said that, but without power the cityship would have just fell out of orbit and accomplished them same thing but they would have some ZPM's instead.

And if I'm not mistaken isn't overloading a ZPM supposed to destoy an entire star system?

PG15
December 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Things don't just "fall" out of orbit like that. If they are already in orbit, they will continue to orbit until some other force slows it down (i.e. the tiny air friction from the very VERY thin atmosphere way up in orbit)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM
and besides, ancient city ships are huge, I think it would survived re-entry (remember one replicator survived when Thor's ship crashed, ancient city ships are a lot bigger than that) and even if it did burn up, the resulting tidal wave would have probably destroyed the Athosians

obsessed1
January 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Things don't just "fall" out of orbit like that. If they are already in orbit, they will continue to orbit until some other force slows it down (i.e. the tiny air friction from the very VERY thin atmosphere way up in orbit)
Yeah if something is moving in space doesnt it just keep on moving regardless. Inertia and all that? I agree it wouldnt have just dropped out of the sky. :D

Dusk
January 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Why could McKay magically solve the source code problem but the Asurans couldn't??

PG15
January 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Weren't they programmed so they couldn't reprogram themselves?

A smart move by the Ancients...finally. ;)

Dusk
January 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Then what was ever to stop them getting a non-Asuran and telling them how to do it? This part of the plot confuses me. Sometimes I think McKay gets given too much intellectual prowess. For instance, he is frequently made to appear very close and sometimes on par with the intelligence of the Ancients. But, as an analogy, the Ancients built the Stargate network, could McKay do that? Um... methinks he's not even close to that kind of skill.

borgprincess
April 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM
His ego would more than make up the difference. ;)

Seriously, it's a plot contrivance. The writers need McKay to solve all their problems. Otherwise the team would be dead after a week on the show.

Another criticism of this ep- I love SGA, but they're doing the whole Voyager 'imposing morality on others' thing that really bugged me. So what if these Asurans want to hide out in their city? Isn't it more selfish to expect them to put themselves on the line for strangers? They might draw the Wraith's attention and suffer an attack if they made a move, it isn't hard to understand or sympathize with their motives on remaining below the radar. Of course, it turned out they had an evil plan, but that's beside the point. If I were in their position, I'd've kicked the team's collective butt home for being so rude and snarky and superior. [I'm a coward. Who wouldn't be, with life-sucking aliens?] I mean, Sheppard complained about them being arrogant- the team's the same, expecting everyone to fall in line behind them and join the merry band of peaceful travelers drawn into a war partly of their making [harsh but true].

It's that mentality of theirs that they know what's best and the others should just accept it. They couldn't even handle the aliens having their own secret plan for destroying the Wraith, they had to be a part of it otherwise it wasn't a good plan. Weir tried her hardest to guilt-trip Oberoth, but he doesn't seem to have a heart, so he shut her down easily. I adore her, I do, but trying to force aliens to do what you want doesn't sound like good negotiating tactics to me. Really, the Atlanteans were the ones standing to gain a significant amount through an alliance, it just seemed a little cringeworthy to be expecting assistance from them- 'at the very least, a ZPM'. It's like 'hey, you're rich, want to give me some money? It's your social obligation'. I was wondering why they didn't just ask for the data on how to build their own, because Niam dude mentioned they built theirs. That at least would have been understandable.

MmmmMcKAy
September 21st, 2007, 05:58 AM
I really enjoyed this episode. I love Weir with the team offworld.:) The Asurans are interesting...loved David Ogden Stiers.

I'll have to rewatch to make some more intelligent;) comments.

Trek_Girl42
September 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. I love Weir with the team offworld.:) The Asurans are interesting...loved David Ogden Stiers.

I'll have to rewatch to make some more intelligent;) comments.
Really liked it as well- LOVED seeing the city fly. It was one of those sqealing-really-loud-causing-people-in-the-next-room-to-peek-in-looking-puzzled-wondering-if-I-was-slaghtering-pigs moments. :D

That part at the end with the Replicator guy just floating there.....creepy. But come on.....how stupid was that, bringing him with them. :rolleyes: :P

And the line about Rodney salivating at hearing how many ZPMs there were. Hehe. :D

John W
September 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
This episode definitely ranks as one of my all-time favourite episodes now. What a show! All of the effects teams seem to have had plenty to do with a lot of awesome CGI scenes, background lighting-effects and on-set explosions.

I'd been looking forward to seeing this show as I knew it was introducing the show's new recurring villain/race. But I had no idea it was going to be this good or this action-packed.

As I said above, there were loads of great effects. I'd like to comment on these now.

Firstly, the CGI. I liked the way they managed to extend the usual Atlantis interiors and exteriors. Right from the start there were surprises. What began with the team arriving in the familiar-looking gateroom quickly changed when the gate shut down to reveal a much larger and longer room and corridor behind it, which is closely followed by the team walking down that corridor and seeing that there's not just the main city-ship but a much bigger city around it. All of that was simply breath-taking. But the jaw-dropping didn't stop there. I wasn't expecting the city-ship to take-off later in the episode, so that was an added bonus and something I'd been waiting to see since the pilot (yeah, I know we saw Atlantis take off in the pilot, but that was at night-time). I had a surprise of a different kind when Atlantis was seen travelling through hyperspace. I'd always imagined it would fly sideways. But we instead see it travelling top-wise, leading to several flipped perspectives which make it look like it's actually travelling upwards rather than forwards.

On a related note, I thought it was neat how during the hyperspace journey, all interior scenes had a special bluish swirly lighting effect in the background. It was a neat touch.

Thirdly, I just absolutely loved the scene where we're lead to believe Atlantis is being attacked in a surprise Wraith ambush. Talk about exciting! Yeah, I knew straight away that it was an illusion. But it didn't stop me enjoying the action. I particularly thought the music in this scene was excellent, conveying the sense of desperation and hopelessness as everything explodes around them and they're forced to abandon Atlantis. I am definitely going to want to watch this scene again and again. If the whole series suddenly came to an abrupt end, this would've been a cool way to end it, especially with Sheppard sacrificing himself. BTW, I can't remember but did anyone see Ronon making it through the gate? Maybe he was one of the people trapped in the wreckage that Teyla mentioned.

All in all, an awesome episode and a great way to set up a new villain, even if the whole thing is a reboot of the Replicator storyline in "SG-1". I don't care, it's still good and has injected an extra bit of excitement, tension and drama into the show.

Jill_Ion
September 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ronon made it through the Gate because he was the one who reported the group(s) that were trapped and he was holding an injured girl.

I thought this was a great episode. I need to watch it again to catch all of the cool FX and moral implications.

So far, this whole season is full of angsty goodness! :)

Ozzy O'NeiLL
December 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Awesome, awesome ep.

The thing is, I already KNEW there were going to be replicators in season 3, but I didn't see it coming... Which is awesome.

As John W neatly summed up above, the CGI was simply amazing, as was the plot - even with an illusionary destruction of Atlantis --- ahh the things they all go through.

The whole RepliAncient thing really works imo, and I also loved how they now became enemies of the Atlantis team - will provide many more interesting plots later in the season!

RepliAncients ahoy!

kache
December 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Someone please tell me why the Stargate personnel are incapable of learning from mistakes? Betray the replicators once, it returns to cause them massive trouble. The Ancients betrayed these replicators, and it caused problems. Why do they think it would be a good idea to immediately betray the replicators a third time, especially when a peaceful solution with a high probability of success has already presented itself. Keep the freeze-the-replicators-and-blow-up-the-city plan as a backup, but give the other plan a reasonable chance.

Why must characters make stupid decisions to advance the plot?

Completely agree.
The Asurans could become the best ally for the war against the wraith, and in debt with the tau'ri.
What else could they want?
Stupid writers...

millertj27
February 1st, 2009, 06:24 AM
Why was Niam and his group so weak compared to Oberoth? I though all the human-form replicators had super strength compared to a normal human but Niam got his ass kicked so easily compared to Oberoth, who was swatting Rodney and Ronon like they were flies. Is this just bad writing or was there an actual reason for this?

Oh, since I'm new to this forum can someone please explain these terms: "thunk" & "slash"?

jelgate
February 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM
You'll have to be more specific about what scene your talking when Niam got beaten up. I would he was taken by surpise. But without the scene I have no way of knowing.

Thunk bascially means how much you find a character/actor physically attractive. That said thunkers are also influenced by the characters actions as well. Slash is bascially a shipping that is between two characters of the same gender.

Replicator Todd
February 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Niam appeared to be taken by surprise every time he was attacked. Plus Oberoth might of been stronger because he was the leader.

Butlersgate
March 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Niam appeared to be taken by surprise every time he was attacked. Plus Oberoth might of been stronger because he was the leader.

he must be the leader for some reason, him being stronger might of been it and the fact he was the first human formed replicator created by the ancients.

seeing that amazing city though was awe-inspiring.

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
This was an incredible way to introduce the replicators in SGA.

8/10

escyos
May 25th, 2009, 02:41 AM
notice how there was another balcony in the conference room that looked out over the city (yea i know it was the gate room with a bluescreen) but do u think that atlantis has such a balcony

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM
do you think the asurans would have more advanced tech or did they imitate the ancients and thats as far as they would go?

jelgate
June 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
do you think the asurans would have more advanced tech or did they imitate the ancients and thats as far as they would go?

The Ausurans are a cheap knockoff of the Ancients. They may look like them but their technology isn't the same especially when you consider the key factor in Ancient technoloy require thought and Ancient genes.

rushy
November 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
The Ancients created the Replicators because they wanted to battle them against the Wraith? Which one they wanted to use? Some super-Replicators or the brain killing type from season 1?

rushy
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
Yes, they do. The Ancients built the Ark of Truth, Atlantis, Destiny and much more. They are better than the Asgard.

rushy
November 1st, 2009, 03:44 AM
Atlantis can fly through hyperspace with a Mark 12 naquadah generator.

rushy
November 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM
I agree. The Asurans have different technology than the Ancients, but similar.

ktebid
March 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I enjoyed this episode. I thought it to be a good introduction to PG replicators. Loved Sheppard's escape during the mind probe.

GATEGOD
March 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
"Oh right that's me. Why Don't I just go on these missions by myself?" Hahahahahaha Rodney had me dieing of laughter this episode.

asdf1239
March 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
i must say the lanteans seemed very much undeserving of their good guy status here. the asurans were justified in seeking revenge on the city itself and if the team had any sense of justice at all they would evacuate and let them do it. and if niam was twisting the truth of how they were created, then theres no reason to trust the lanteans story of the wraith war either. but let's assume that the team's instincts were to save the city. understandable.
even then, niam gave them a chance to fix everything by removing the aggression programming. instead, they further screwed up the code and betrayed them as usual, bringing another war upon themselves by killing thousands of individuals. the asurans' hostility towards the tau'ri from that point on was entirely the fault of the expedition's actions.

i don't see how the atlantis team could call the asurans arrogant at all. right from the beginning atlantis was criticizing and judging them and acting like it was their obligation to help them against the wraith. through the entire episode it looked like the team was picking a fight; the asurans replied surprisingly politely to their borderline hostile behavior.

and the ancient nanovirus was the -precursor- of the asurans. if anything, it's more likely that the lanteans first designed it to kill humans to starve the wraith.

Elorendil
July 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hasn't the idea of replicators been done to death already in SG1? I am disappointed at this re-invention of an old and already defeated enemy. I hope they don't become too huge in the plot of the series, but I have a feeling that they will. :(

mrscopterdoc
September 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I like this intro of the replicators into Atlantis, and I love the huge city!

EdenSG
November 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
According to Syfy schedule Progeny will air today at 5pm EST

I really thought it was fascinating that the Replicators were introduced - another Ancient strategy gone wrong - all in an effort to rid the Pegasus Galaxy of the Wraith. Sort of foreshadowed the current efforts of SGA folks to stop the Wraith - thru the use of the retro virus. Both had unforseen, devastating and ethically questionable consequences.

maneth
January 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Indeed. Still, why redo something that's already been done once? The episode was good, but I'm still disappointed that the replicators are back in a new guise.

Tiptronic
February 19th, 2011, 05:23 PM
"Oh right that's me. Why Don't I just go on these missions by myself?" Hahahahahaha Rodney had me dieing of laughter this episode.

Makes me laugh every time too :D

Does anyone know which soundtrack played at the end when Niam was floating? Its not in the original CD..

caribsci
February 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I liked this episode but the atlantis team was like the pot calling the kettle black..........i mean these were the same people who wanted to go steal everyone's zpm and drones, but soon as they get betrayed its like omg how could they betray us.The asurans owed them nothing.......did they really ask the asurans to reveal their plans for getting rid of the wraith?lol..seriously.I'm trying to count how many civilisations were betrayed by the atlantis team and i ran out of fingers;currently counting on my toes.the tauri should have never gotten atlantis because there were many others in pg who shed blood and lost millions who deserved it more(and who had the ata gene also) ; but i never undersood asurans thinking....they already probed their minds so y take them to atlantis?why not just kill them or y not just change them into replicators.....send them back to atlantis as moles and destroy it from within....

Blizzah
May 14th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I thought this episode was cool and to see the replicators again was also very interesting. I was intrigued to find out that the replicators have a different beginning to what I had previously learned watching SG1.

mathpiglet
May 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I loved the huge city!

garhkal
May 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
The part that made me go HU!?? Was when the asuran city ship lifted off, it look like a lot of those nearby buildings got demolished in the wave that ensued.

Mirelinde
September 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Maybe Niam could be the next 5th.
He could not be! 5th was a "child" (psychologically), Niam is "adult" and intelligent... however I takr pity for them both. Really Atlatians could save him! They were already close to Atlantis - so they could "bind" him, bring to Atlantis, call some strong males to hold him (so many soldats!) - and Rodny wouls can change him code again! But the've prefered to kill him... and I seem - nobody of them didn't feel fault!

Mirelinde
September 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Weir's moral compass remains shaky, or else why try to save only Niam and not the 2 women who also tried to help?

Really, atlantians' "moral compass" surprises me very often. And this situation... I think two Niam's women were not the only his followers there... and they all died together with city, and - I guess - Oberoth didn't allow to restore them... It's terrible to imagine this blow for Niam's followers stayed alive!

Lythisrose
August 6th, 2012, 07:24 AM
From Joe Mallozzi's Blog:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/august-4-2012-make-your-own-beef-wellington-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-progeny/

PROGENY (305)

Finally, we are introduced to the creators of the Hot Zone virus AND answer some long-burning questions like “Why did the Ancient repository of knowledge contain the schematics for a weapon capable of destroying human-form replicators?”. We are introduced to the Asurans who possess the arrogance of their creators, the Ancients, and a coded disposition for violence. Clearly, the worst of both worlds. Carl Binder delivers a script that is tightly plotted, peppered with humor and, in typical Carl fashion, possessed of great character moments. Weir shows off her leadership chops while Rodney demonstrates courage and compassion by offering to “flip” Sheppard for the duty of staying behind to manually trigger the self-destruct. A seminal episode.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Great ep. I'm happy we saw the human form Replicators again. I can wait for "The Return" in a few weeks.

The first half of this was great. The second half felt like watching Unnatural Selection all over again. It fell completely flat for me.Exactly, I was loving the episode until it started to feel like I was watching Unnatural Selection. I wonder far Asuras is from Lantia and how long it took for them to get to Lantia using the star drive.Exactly. The second half was like watching unnatural selection all over again, except that episode had a better solution. I was incredibly disappointed to see that kind of an ending on such a great start.You right it did feel a little like Unnatural Selection. This is Carl's best episode to date. And I'm surprised Mikita directed it, this would have been a good ep for a Wood or DeLuise directed ep. But Andy does a good job too.
Because I can, and I want the whole discussion.

It felt like the end Unnatural Selection, although that one had a more of a "they screwed me" aspect that this one did.

Not much more to say, except it was kind of a good episode.

Tomorrow, an average episode, I believe.

Krisz
August 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Turns out to be another episode I've never seen before. I enjoyed it though, I don't mind the human form replicators. Weird how every human they meet double crosses them and this lot we meet are actual 'weapons' created by the Ancients in desperation and then thought of as a mistake. Not surprising Oberoth is cranky.

The eagerness of the Replicators that want to be more than they are is always sad to see. You just know they'll never be accepted as they so earnestly hope by humans as friends.

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 8th, 2012, 02:26 AM
A pretty good ep.

I've never been a fan of the human form Replicators though.

Liked Ronon's gun skills at the start of the ep.

Pretty awesome seeing what a complete Ancient city would look like. Would have been nice to get all those ZPM's. And yet again a innocent Replicator feels compassion for us.

Made another very powerful enemy.

Morganrone93
August 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Once again... The hype that was built up about the ancients greatness ruined in SGA by making them look foolish...

Obviously the "weapons" worked, just not in the intended way, making the ancients seem extremely narrow minded.

They could have used the Asurans as production workers, creating ZPMs, ships, hell, manpower to man the ships.

and then the way they decided to wipe them out.. I mean jeez, in order to be 100% sure that all the nanites would have been destroyed, why not blow up the entire planet?

Edit:

I do realise that all this was done in extreme desperation, but come on, being desperate doesn't justify stupidness.

Matt G
August 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Midweek, another ep of Atlantis.

1. Looking back...a bit cocky of Weir.

2. The tension isn't quite as hot with later watching but it was still a buzz.

3. Forgot that they'd all had different visions.

4. Not sure how they could have avoided the attack on Atlantis though.

Still a great ep.

jelgate
August 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I don't really see the Unnatural Selection analogy with this episode. They look nothing alike except having Replicators it it. This is one of those episodes where spoilers ruined the reveal of this episode. I know this episode would involve Replicators that I was not surprised to see what the Asurans really are. But that is my fault not the writers. From the writing I thought it was a pretty good episode. The episode did a good job of introducing the Asurans. Not in only showing how much an arse that Oboreith is but the inclusion of showing why the Asurans are bitter towards the Ancients. One compliant is that the whole base code notion seems kind of stupid. The writers seemed to ruin the science of this to suit the plots of S3 and S4. I always thought the reality created by Shepphed was entertaining to watch. Of course I knew it was a fake but it was still interesting to see what his mind made up. Speaking of interesting seeing a city ship fly was a geek moment. The solution was kind of random technobabble that was a little too easy. Oh look we magically can freeze the Asurans to escape.

Jae'a
August 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/68746.html)
Love David Ogden Stiers. :)
Am I really, really cruel for wanting to have seen the vision the Replicators gave McKay? :D

Don Pantaloons
September 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Niam: The molecular machines began interlocking, assembling themselves to form even more complex organisms, eventually evolving into the most effective and efficient form they knew of.

[camera pans to Oberoth]

Me: A fat, bald, old guy is the most effective and efficient form they knew of...?

garhkal
September 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Perhaps there is something to say about bald men!

Afterall hamond was also bald!

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 05:55 PM
A pretty good ep.

I've never been a fan of the human form Replicators though.
my thoughts as well

HogWldFLTR
November 15th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Nice to see Maj. Charles Winchester in his other job. Great episode.

losernerdfriend
March 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM
First time watching this ep.

Only thought the entire time: THEY'RE REPLICATORS. THEY'RE REPLICATORS. DAMMIT I WAS RIGHT! THEY'RE REPLICATORS. WHY?!

And I really felt bad for Naim at the end, because I thought he might not suffer the "Fifth treatment" since he was doing so well, and Weir was determined to bring him back with them. But then the other replicators just HAD to re-write his programming.. :(

Overall, I thought this was a good episode. It lagged a little, but I'm interested in the addition of another major enemy in the Pegasus galaxy besides the Wraith. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. (NO SPOILERS FOR ME. :))