PDA

View Full Version : Uninvited (1005)

Pages : 1 [2]

PG15
August 20th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Why is it so hard to believe that there are 2 cabins?

full.infinity
August 20th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Because it's in season 10, and therefore it's part of the evil Mitchell demonism, therefore it must be wrong and evil, and therefore we must criticize it or else we must be wrong and evil as well! Isn't it obvious?

suse
August 20th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Yes I'm very late chiming in. I'm too busy getting ready for school to start to worry about when I see Stargate. Good thing. This ep really wasn't something I needed to deprive myself of sleep to watch. :( The monster: Horrible, horrible special effects. Hideous even.

Vala had very amusing moments. The chair stuff was funny. Trying to take over the briefing? Not funny at all. Duct tape anyone?

The whole command thing just fell flat. I'm glad TBTB didn't come out and say Mitchell was lead. More that he pressed for SG-1 to reform so has to use the dynamic that got him. <sigh> They sure did sugarcoat the issue though!

That doctor seems entirely too young for that part.

My favorite part of the ep was the poker scene. Nice and relaxed.

Still...maybe only a 5 out of 10. But much better than the previous weeks by a few points. At least they didn't make a mockery of the military.

Suse

DEM
August 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Because it's in season 10, and therefore it's part of the evil Mitchell demonism, therefore it must be wrong and evil....What on earth are you talking about? Spare us the melodrama, please.

Maj_Cliffhanger said the following:
Jack MUST have two cabins, one in Minnesota and one in Colorado... Why? Well, in most of the episodes where we see his 'place' - for instance Threads when Sam sits outside on his driveway.... She didn't drive all the way to Minnesota! That place sure had a 'cabin' like feel to it.
Now, unless my English comprehension skills have abandoned me completely, ISTM that Maj_Cliffhanger was suggesting that the Colorado 'place' we've seen in many previous episodes was a cabin Jack kept in Colorado. All I did was show that the cabin in Uninvited clearly was not Jack's Colorado 'place' that we've seen in many previous episodes (e.g., CoTG, Fire & Water, Threads, and Citizen Joe).

What I can't demonstate, is that there is not a Colorado cabin. Why? Because we've never seen or heard of such a place.

Ever.

Until Uninvited.

Maybe.

full.infinity
August 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
What on earth are you talking about? Spare us the melodrama, please.
Sorry, I just get pissed with the attitude of some of the antis and go into extreme sarcasm mode.

DEM
August 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry, I just get pissed with the attitude of some of the antis and go into extreme sarcasm mode.Ooookay, but I don't know why you'd take that out on me. Looking back over this page, I can't figure out *what* "attitude" you would have been reacting to.

In any case: Apology accepted. :)

suse
August 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that Jack would have a cabin in Minnesota and a house and a cabin in Colorado. Eh.

That being said, I don't see why it makes a hill of beans difference either way. Though it would have just been easier to have Landry as the owner of the cabin as he seems to spend so much time there anyway.

BTW how did the Sheriff's SUV get to the cabin if the only road to town was washed out?

And what's with Mitchell calling Teal'c homeboy?

Suse

PG15
August 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
BTW how did the Sheriff's SUV get to the cabin if the only road to town was washed out?

SUVs are tough, I guess.

suse
August 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Was anyone else surprised that the creatures were coming from the cloaking device? I thought it was connected to the teams going off world and bringing back something that mutated...

I thought the creatures coming from another dimention thru the device was a great idea. One I was surprised the writers came up with. And even explained it logically! I was very impressed with that part. It seems that producing/writin/directing 40 eps instead of 20 has not yet turned all their brains to mush.

Suse

Daniel's_twin
August 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
I thought the creatures coming from another dimention thru the device was a great idea. One I was surprised the writers came up with. And even explained it logically! I was very impressed with that part. It seems that producing/writin/directing 40 eps instead of 20 has not yet turned all their brains to mush.

Suse

I also found the creatures themselves a surprise. But TPTB pointed out that they cause sterotypical "radioactive mutant monsters" through Vala. So, original idea to make them, non-original creature.

Doesn't take away from how good this ep was, though. :cool:

ChillinTheMost
August 21st, 2006, 12:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that Jack would have a cabin in Minnesota and a house and a cabin in Colorado. Eh.

That being said, I don't see why it makes a hill of beans difference either way. Though it would have just been easier to have Landry as the owner of the cabin as he seems to spend so much time there anyway.

And what's with Mitchell calling Teal'c homeboy?

Suse

Yeah, I agree that they should have just said that it was Landry's cabin. I imagine, though, that they wanted to offer a bone to the fans that wished they'd at least mention O'Neill sometimes to show that they didn't forget him. So, I'm giving them credit for trying...

ChillinTheMost
August 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM

Suse
I thought that was good, too. I liked how it tied a few episodes together while still giving this one a stand-alone episode feel.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 25th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I loved this ep for one reason; Landry's bird impression.

doylefan22
August 31st, 2006, 05:34 AM
Finally got round to watching this one...

The main thing that struck me was that whoever wrote this (what with the playstation reference, the mutants and the look of the monsters) is a Resident Evil fan...

agent_omf
September 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
My only problem with this episode is this:

mutations are random. the only way a species evolve by genetic mutations is by breeding and having the mutation passed on to the offspring. if there was a mutation slug in 2 different grizzly bears, by the time they mutated as much as they did there should be little to no resemblance to each other.

other than that great episode.

mancslad08
November 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring, snooze-fest of an episode.

Yet another evil alien creature/bug on the loose.

Yet another forest hunt.

That poker scene at the end was so fake and forced looking it was unreal.

The general's bird call... wtf?? Completely out of character and cringe-worthy.

Not to mention the enormous gay connotations with all the 'looks like we'll be alone then', 'just you and me', 'we're gonna have some fun together' lines from the General. Another cringe-worthy moment.

So the team solves the episode by shooting two big beasts in some forest on Earth. Wow. Incredible story-telling guys, well done.

Thank god Season 10 is the last before the quality dips EVEN lower (if that's possible)

The Shadow
November 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring, snooze-fest of an episode.

Yet another evil alien creature/bug on the loose.

Yet another forest hunt.

That poker scene at the end was so fake and forced looking it was unreal.

The general's bird call... wtf?? Completely out of character and cringe-worthy.

Not to mention the enormous gay connotations with all the 'looks like we'll be alone then', 'just you and me', 'we're gonna have some fun together' lines from the General. Another cringe-worthy moment.

So the team solves the episode by shooting two big beasts in some forest on Earth. Wow. Incredible story-telling guys, well done.

Thank god Season 10 is the last before the quality dips EVEN lower (if that's possible)

Once again....I see no gay connotations.......you are taking it too seriously....Landry was only getting Mitchell to lighten up...the guy was writing mission reports on a labtop when he's suppose to relax and enjoy the nature.

I thought the bird call scene provides some insight into the character....showing that Landry is not just some hard-core General who doesn't even know how to enjoy life.....this only shows that the guy can joke around and do silly things like normal human being.....if he's that passionate about bird-watching...nothing's wrong with that......I have teachers who are passionate enough to do things like that in a classroom so I've got no problems with it.....

This season is great.....love it!!! This is a fine episode, not the best but not the worst either....

mancslad08
November 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Once again you don't get it. I know what the general was trying to do and I'm fine with that. It's the WAY he does it that makes me laugh. The creepy lines like 'it's just the two of us' and 'we're going to have lots of fun together' do it.

I've got no problem with the general showing something apart from his cold, un-developed exterior we've had for a season and a half, but the bird calling was either a) straight out of Friends, b) straight out of Ace Ventura or c) a pathetic joke that's been done a thousand times to much greater effect. Another laughable moment.

That's the problem with this site/forum... most of the vocal members on here love everything that is stargate and to say an episode is bad is to be brandished a traitor. Hey I love Stargate myself (seasons 1-6) but I get the feeling the writers seem to think 'hey lets throw in the team playing poker, or get Carter in charge of the SGC and the fans will love it! Screw good storytelling, suspense, action and all that. As long as we have our general making bird sounds it'll be 10/10 with the fans because they find those sorts of things 'hilarious'.'

Give me a break

Do me a favour, go back and watch season 3, 4, 5 or 6... THAT was when SG-1 was great.

mancslad08
November 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Im not even going to get into this episode, bordem from the begining, bad writing, bad story, bad effects, cheesy moments. In conclusion: Bad

4/10
Well said

mancslad08
November 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Why is it so hard for you to accept that the SG-1 production team aren't gods who can do no wrong, EVER.

PG15
November 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Because I've been entertained by them time and again and I have faith in them. If there's a way out of a plothole with simple reasoning, then why should I be stubborn and still blame them for stuff that it's easily resolved?

And you can try to be a little nicer; maybe you'll even get some green once in a while.

Wraith Scientist
November 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I heard that this one was a poor one, so I went in with rather low expectations ...

But actually, I really quite enjoyed this one

Ok, so the 'monster' was a terrible, terrible piece of CGI, but I'm willing to forgive that. Progeny, by contrast, had great CGI, but was quite disapointing otherwise.

Just because an episode has tons of CGI and ship battles doesn't make the writing or story any less terrible. Just because an episode isn't a grand overarching climax full of combat and CGI and saving the universe doesn't detract from it's merits in my book.

OK, so there was a cliched 'oh no, monster on the loose' plot. But instead of pulling off the cliche badly (which happens quite frequently), it came off rather well. A Stargate twist to the old story, good character dynamic, good scary atmosphere.

They didn't actually show the monster until quite late on. That was good writing. Build suspense and creepyness.

The character interactions were good, I'm liking Vala's interactions with the team more and more too. Definitely above average for Stargate.

There were definite creepy moments when you were expecting something to jump out. Blood and gore, plenty of jumpy moments, and a sudden jump when the Sheriff was attacked. Good camera angles and directing/writing all round to build up the creepyness. Stargate, usually really poor on stuff like this, nailed it good in this one.

Overall, a good episode, far better than I expected, and in some areas better than I would expect from Stargate in general.

Definitely an underappreciated one IMO.

m_wendy_r
November 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I haven't posted here for AGES.

But I just SAW this and I loved it. General Landry being a twitcher was a surprise but he looked right at home with his binoculars. LOL. Great stuff and fantastic insight into a character that has always been presented with a sense of humor right from word 'go'. He is nothing like General Hammond, which is a good thing because a carbon-copy would just about kill me. I can't imagine good ole George going out bird watching (more like watching the grandkids)

I think the SFX were quite bad (which was this episodes only let down). Did you notice when they shot the two mutated beast in the forests they fell to the side like a falling tree? The creatures should have slumped to the ground, not snapped their legs together and gone TIMBER!

The final poker scene was a classic and it was the highlight - I must have rewound the tape three times to see the Sam and Teal'c stand-off. But was it me or was Sam different in this episode? Maybe a little OOC, but she was funny all the same.

I like the chair wiggle that Vala did in Landry's office, only to have Sam mentioned Weir. Ha. Vala is usually funny but it seemed this episode was about her being in control, when she shouldn't be.

I felt completely sorry for Cam, especially when he found that the road was blocked. Poor guy, you could see how much he was dying to get away. I LOVE HIS CAR! I want one. :D

I give this episode a 8/10.

Wendy
Hugs :)

meredithchandler73
November 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I liked this episode a lot. Loved the poker game at the end. Like others have said - I like the character interactions, particularly with Vala. The CGI wasn't fantastic, but that's not something that makes or breaks an episode for me.

And just to put my two cents in - I think everyone is entitled to their opinion - whether they like an episode or not. Stargate is one of several shows that I love enough to own all the DVDs and to have seen every single episode at least once. Off the top of my head, I can't recall an episode that I ever found totally unwatchable. There's usually something that makes it worthwhile. Maybe that's just the kind of fan that I am. And I think it's okay that there are fans that just enjoy the show so much that the not-so-great ones are still okay in their/our books. (Hey - you're looking at someone who stuck it out through the last two seasons of X-Files! If that isn't love/obsession, I don't know what is! And please - don't judge!) ;) :)

mancslad08
November 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Because I've been entertained by them time and again and I have faith in them. If there's a way out of a plothole with simple reasoning, then why should I be stubborn and still blame them for stuff that it's easily resolved?

And you can try to be a little nicer; maybe you'll even get some green once in a while.
Do you really think I care about green/red reputation points? This forum is a good one, unfortunately the vast majority of posters on here are fanboys who find it impossible to criticise an episode of Stargate. If say for example we seem Teal'c crack a joke, ignoring the pathetic storyline, crap graphics, rubbish acting (with yet more recycled actors) etc... It'll be A+++++ from everyone.

When fandom has to make up excuses for the producers and production crew's incompetence every week, you know the series has hit rock bottom.

And hey I used to be entertained by this show, seasons 1-6 of SG-1 and I thought the last ep of Atlantis I saw with the Assurans was cool and a few others here and there, but you can't hide the fact that the producers blind insistence on continuing on with this series has seriously hindered the show.

No wonder it got cancelled.

Luckily.

mancslad08
November 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Ah, perfectly validating my argument. m_wendy_r telling us why he/she liked the episode:

- General Landry being a bird watcher
- Poker scene
- Chair wiggle that Vala did

If we based episodes on little things like this then SG-1 is the most perfect and flawless series known to exist.

Unfortunately though, real series get based on things like storyline, editing, action sequences, acting, drama, suspense. In these categories SG-1 fails pretty much week after week for a few years now.

m_wendy_r
November 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Ah, perfectly validating my argument. m_wendy_r telling us why he/she liked the episode:

- General Landry being a bird watcher
- Poker scene
- Chair wiggle that Vala did

If we based episodes on little things like this then SG-1 is the most perfect and flawless series known to exist.

Unfortunately though, real series get based on things like storyline, editing, action sequences, acting, drama, suspense. In these categories SG-1 fails pretty much week after week for a few years now.

Okay, firstly. I'm female.

Secondly, I wasn't basing the episode on those little things. I simply was saying that those things stuck out to me more than the plot. And since SG-1 is a real series I feel it's important to say that not everyone bases them on the things you mentioned. For example, my sister bases a good series on the characters and how they interact, putting plot second.

SG-1 doesn't fail on acting, the actors are fantastic and yes, sometimes the episodes are not brilliant but they're not poor at all. No series is flawless and when I find one I promise I'll be the first to jump and down, waving my flag.

I think an episode works when it has good dialogue, character development and leaves a thought behind in your mind, makes you think. This episode made me consider what it would be like to be a leader but not actually lead, which was what is the problem for Cam.

It's not a great episode, I'm not even going to say that. It's not a favourite. But I did love watching it and it was fun.

I do remember reading that Daniel wasn't in it, which I didn't actually notice - this means I was so into what I was watching that characters not on screen did not enter my mind.

Wendy

generaloneill
November 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
i noticed something unusual while watching the sg-1 episode uninvited when sending teams back to the planet to hunt for the creature
carter tells teal'c and vala to take sg teams 3 and 25 later at general o'neill's cabin general landry said they have sg-3
and sg-5 with them

i think it was either an error in the script or beau bridges either forgot his line
or just made a mistake which we all do from time to time

and at the end when they are playing poker and carter pulls the poker chips toward her one of the cards falls
off the edge of the table

anyone else notice these things?

and landry's duck call that had me in stitches

i liked cameron's car and his reference to the playstation and socom 3 :cameron:

m_wendy_r
November 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
i noticed something unusual while watching the sg-1 episode uninvited when sending teams back to the planet to hunt for the creature
carter tells teal'c and vala to take sg teams 3 and 25 later at general o'neill's cabin general landry said they have sg-3
and sg-5 with them

i think it was either an error in the script or beau bridges either forgot his line
or just amde a mistake which we all do from time to time

and at the end when they are playing poker and carter pulls the poker chips toward her one of the cards falls
off the edge of the table

anyone else notice these things?

and landry's duck call that had me in stitches

i liked cameron's car and his reference to the playstation and socom 3 :cameron:

Yeah, Sam's card did fall. LOL. But I think I saw her pick it up off her knee.

But I didn't notice the SG-team reference. Oh, darn, gonna have to watch it again. LOL.

I think it was a shame Sam didn't get to sit in the General's chair. Or, at least, I didn't see her sitting in it. I think that would've been beneficial to her sub-plot about her being unsure of herself and her command. The Chair is always the symbol and once you sit in it, you are in command. That's my take anyway, she should've sat in it because she was great in command.

I don't know who mentioned the gore, but I definitely thought the episode was more gorey than most. And the scene when the sheriff got 'chopped' was unexpected and I physically jumped, which I don't do when I was scary movies let alone SG-1. So that was fantastic directing. I didn't catch who directed this episode though.

AND I also liked the scene where Cam and Landry were walking around the cabin, guns poised, ready for action after hearing a 'noise'. LOL. I presumed that the noise was the guy with the cloak but I did think it was the creature at first.

Wendy

generaloneill
November 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Sam's card did fall. LOL. But I think I saw her pick it up off her knee.

But I didn't notice the SG-team reference. Oh, darn, gonna have to watch it again. LOL.

I think it was a shame Sam didn't get to sit in the General's chair. Or, at least, I didn't see her sitting in it. I think that would've been beneficial to her sub-plot about her being unsure of herself and her command. The Chair is always the symbol and once you sit in it, you are in command. That's my take anyway, she should've sat in it because she was great in command.

I don't know who mentioned the gore, but I definitely thought the episode was more gorey than most. And the scene when the sheriff got 'chopped' was unexpected and I physically jumped, which I don't do when I was scary movies let alone SG-1. So that was fantastic directing. I didn't catch who directed this episode though.

AND I also liked the scene where Cam and Landry were walking around the cabin, guns poised, ready for action after hearing a 'noise'. LOL. I presumed that the noise was the guy with the cloak but I did think it was the creature at first.

Wendy

i was expecting the creature that the doctor was cutting up to jump up off the table and attack her particularly when that radiation was detected

i liked it when vala sat in landry's chair and tried to put her feet up on the desk and carter wouldn't let her i also liked dr weir's name being mentioned in this episode as well as her previously being in command of the sgc being mentioned as well

did anyone pick up on the reference to vice president cheney when landry says that the last thing they need is for "this place to turn into the OK Corral",

to which mitchell replies
or a Vice-Presidential bird hunt.

read more about uninvited here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninvited_%28Stargate_SG-1%29 :cameron:

mancslad08
November 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Okay, firstly. I'm female.

Secondly, I wasn't basing the episode on those little things. I simply was saying that those things stuck out to me more than the plot. And since SG-1 is a real series I feel it's important to say that not everyone bases them on the things you mentioned. For example, my sister bases a good series on the characters and how they interact, putting plot second.

SG-1 doesn't fail on acting, the actors are fantastic and yes, sometimes the episodes are not brilliant but they're not poor at all. No series is flawless and when I find one I promise I'll be the first to jump and down, waving my flag.

I think an episode works when it has good dialogue, character development and leaves a thought behind in your mind, makes you think. This episode made me consider what it would be like to be a leader but not actually lead, which was what is the problem for Cam.

It's not a great episode, I'm not even going to say that. It's not a favourite. But I did love watching it and it was fun.

I do remember reading that Daniel wasn't in it, which I didn't actually notice - this means I was so into what I was watching that characters not on screen did not enter my mind.

Wendy
When things like the way Vala wriggled her chair stuck out in your mind more than the plot itself, then yes the series does have problems.

Once again validating what I said.

PG15
November 16th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Do you really think I care about green/red reputation points?

You tried to give me something (it's grey) so...yeah.

This forum is a good one, unfortunately the vast majority of posters on here are fanboys who find it impossible to criticise an episode of Stargate. If say for example we seem Teal'c crack a joke, ignoring the pathetic storyline, crap graphics, rubbish acting (with yet more recycled actors) etc... It'll be A+++++ from everyone.

You got proof to back up that generalization?

Or perhaps the fans just love the show enough to forgive it for all its faults and enjoy what made them watch in the first place. When people want to get entertained, they (and by that, I mean me) usually don't pick out all the bad bits and fume about them as if the plotholes killed their brother.

When fandom has to make up excuses for the producers and production crew's incompetence every week, you know the series has hit rock bottom.

Good for you.

I think a fanbase who cares enough to use their imagination to fill certain holes show that they care enough about the show to actually divert some of their brain power to it.

Besides, no show's perfect.

And hey I used to be entertained by this show, seasons 1-6 of SG-1 and I thought the last ep of Atlantis I saw with the Assurans was cool and a few others here and there, but you can't hide the fact that the producers blind insistence on continuing on with this series has seriously hindered the show.

I don't see it. Sorry.

No wonder it got cancelled.

Luckily.

And yet you're still here, labeling the fans as "fanboys" for enjoying something that you obviously don't. Don't you find that a bit odd and/or petty?

Or, they're so good that it gets mundane mentioning it with every episode, so all we do is pick the little things that seemed particularly awesome. See, I can spin too. :p

Seriously though, you don't like the later years of SG1, that's fine. But generalizing the fanbase just because you don't like what you're seeing and we are is not a good way to make your case, whatever it is.

m_wendy_r
November 17th, 2006, 03:17 AM
When things like the way Vala wriggled her chair stuck out in your mind more than the plot itself, then yes the series does have problems.

No, not validating. Your twisting.

I don't see the need to mention the plot, you all know it, of course it's in our minds, we all saw it. I only see it prudent to mention the little things that I see, and what I liked about them. The little things tend to be overlooked and I like to mention them.

AND since you don't seem to like SG-1 since, what was it?, series 6? Then why are you still here? 4 years later and your still on a fan forum trying to change everyone's minds. We get your point, you don't like. Now, if you don't mind, we still do, and hearing how you think the series has a problem isn't going to change that. So, I think you should go to the Anti-Season 10 thread where you can repeat your point over and over again with people who agree.

Wendy

PG15 - You got grey as well? LOL. Isn't it meant to be red? ;)

generaloneill
November 17th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Finally got round to watching this one...

The main thing that struck me was that whoever wrote this (what with the playstation reference, the mutants and the look of the monsters) is a Resident Evil fan...

i was thinking that myself when the creature attacks the sheriff i thought it resembled the hunters from resident evil 1,3 and code veronica x and those frog or gorilla like creatures from resident evil zero :mckay:

scifi_girl
November 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM
liked this one, nice to see sam in charge

generaloneill
November 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM
liked this one, nice to see sam in charge

i wouldn't mind seeing sam in charge more often obviously when general landry is in washington for some boring meeting with some politicians or when cam is offworld on some mission i would also like to see carter sit in landry's chair one day

how many people have sat in that chair to date?
general hammond general bauer daniel dr weir general o'neill and vala

i think i got everyone :cameron:

PG15
November 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
PG15 - You got grey as well? LOL. Isn't it meant to be red? ;)

Yeah, but look at his rep points. ;)

m_wendy_r
November 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Yeah, but look at his rep points. ;)

Ah, I see. Thanks, that must be why. ;) I shall cherish my grey square forever! LOL. :D

Anyway, I loved this episode and if people think my reasoning is stupid, childish or anything else then thats upto them.

Do General's always wear those bizarre green hats (in the scene where he does the birdwhistle), because I remember Hammond wearing a similar hat. Or... am I remembering wrong?

Do the air force have specific hair regulations for civilians? Because Vala wears her hair in pigtails (which I do like) but is she allowed to?

Wendy

Matt G
November 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
1. Sam running the the SGC. Nice!

2. Landry + Mitchell, made Landry more interesting and it's confirmed that 'he' feels Mitchell has 'responsibility' for the team at least.

3. Sam and Vala...I've got a feeling that Sam kinda likes the mad mercenary but she does bug her sometimes.

4. Dodgy alien thingy! Ahh...look at the cheapo FX!

5. Poker scene: Perfecto!(and Poker does sound like the sort of game Vala would be good at, particularly if she's been watching the Poker channel!

Overall, enough good small moments to make this better than last week

Andy1
November 21st, 2006, 05:01 AM
Just saw this episode last night (I'm a UK viewer). First thing that struck me was how dark it was, a bit grisly wasn't it? I don't mind that though, in all I enjoyed it. Just two points I want to discuss...

1) Who thought they were going to kill off Col. Reynolds at the end? I looked at all the characters shooting at the creature/s. They were all main cast members, apart from Reynolds. And I thought, uh-oh, what's going to happen to him here? But the makers letting him live put him in a new light for me, he is one of the most prominent non-cast members.

And...

2) How annoying is Vala? She seems to not be able to take things seriously at all, many people will say 'she's just a comic relief', but the show is funny enough as it is so I don't think she needs to be like that. When she came through the gate in Avalon Pt.1 I thought 'Oh no, not her again.' And for that episode I didn't like her, but by the end of Avalon Pt.2 I liked her, and she was good in Origin as well (just the right mix of inane humour and seriousness). But since then she's slowly but surely turned into just a little person who makes fun of other people and then feels really hurt when people throw it back at her (with the exception of the ep. Crusade). In the episode (this season) when she was accepted into the SGC I thought, right now we'll see if she can actually respect others and be a credible character. But so far she's shown no respect for the chain of command and has been a complete pain. In this episode she has seriously started straining the show's credibility. I think Claudia Black, great actor as she is, needs to start taking her character back to how she was in eps such as Origin, Crusade, Camelot.

We need Daniel back to get her in line!:daniel:

As it happens she'll probably be brilliant in the next episode and I'll have worried over this for nothing.:)

Andy1
November 21st, 2006, 05:20 AM
In reply to all Kpnut's posts, lighten up a bit for crying out loud. You can't generalise this entire forum like that.

If you read my post on this thread, just above I believe, you will see that I for one am not a simple 'fanboy', and I suspect many others here will feel the same. I would not call myself an absolutely totally die-hard stargate fan. I watch episodes and while I find some of them a bit below par, I love sci-fi and sci-fact enough not to care, I watch it because I like it. Yet I can still criticise when I feel something is wrong. I bet that goes for a 'lot' of people on this forum. You can't make generalisations like that, it's not fair.

full.infinity
November 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
unfortunately the vast majority of posters on here are fanboys who find it impossible to criticise an episode of Stargate.
You're kidding me, right? Name me one person who has actually found it impossible to criticize an episode of Stargate.
*crickets chirping*

The two-cabin thing is a lot less bothersome than the fact that in seasons 1-6 they often recieved an IDC before the gate even opened.

mancslad08
November 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
You're kidding me, right? Name me one person who has actually found it impossible to criticize an episode of Stargate.
*crickets chirping*

The two-cabin thing is a lot less bothersome than the fact that in seasons 1-6 they often recieved an IDC before the gate even opened.
PG15 to name one.

Once again my original point is proven ^^^ apparently the episode has enough small bits like 'Sam and Vala' and the poker scene to make it a good episode.

Right.

full.infinity
November 25th, 2006, 05:01 PM
PG15 to name one.
I knew you would say that, and you're wrong.
Somebody even confronted him on that.
He hated "Emancipation".

Once again my original point is proven ^^^ apparently the episode has enough small bits like 'Sam and Vala' and the poker scene to make it a good episode.
Because if somebody likes small bits they are automatically an evil heathen. Amazing how everybody complains about a "lack of character development" but when they get it they start complaining about how it's "small bits".

PG15
November 25th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Sweet, I'm special!

Or, maybe you forgot that I specifically said that I didn't like "Emancipation". Here's one better: "One False Step" sucked pink, white stripped balls.

The difference between you and me is, I watch for entertainment, and what I don't like, I don't watch, and I don't complain about it. Life's too short to spend time complaining without actually accomplishing anything as a result.

Besides, why would anyone want to be negative all the time? It's bad for the health.

Still, it's nice to know that my internet persona has impacted on you. At least I made a difference somewhere. :D

mancslad08
November 26th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Sweet, I'm special!

Or, maybe you forgot that I specifically said that I didn't like "Emancipation". Here's one better: "One False Step" sucked pink, white stripped balls.

The difference between you and me is, I watch for entertainment, and what I don't like, I don't watch, and I don't complain about it. Life's too short to spend time complaining without actually accomplishing anything as a result.

Besides, why would anyone want to be negative all the time? It's bad for the health.

Still, it's nice to know that my internet persona has impacted on you. At least I made a difference somewhere. :D
I watch hoping to be entertained and though it may surprise you I have been many times in the past few years. 'Flesh and Blood' 'The Pegasus Project' 'Progeny' and 'The Real World' were fantastic episodes from both series.

My problem with SG is two-fold:

1. the writer's have basically become lazy fanboys. Lazy in the sense that they'll recycle already recycled plots a thousand times, ignore huge plot holes, recast the same actor for about 10 different characters, make dull episodes, ruin the team dynamic of SG-1 by introducing new characters and attempt to win over fans by keeping the "humour" levels up while keeping the quality down.

2. The fans, particularly on this forum, have become so attached to the show (nothing wrong with that, 6 seasons of pure quality will do that to you) that they refuse to believe that the show's quality has gone downhill and that TPTB's blind insistence to press on led to the show's cancellation. Now, instead of Wright/Cooper ending the show on a high in seasons 6,7 or even 8, they instead chose to get cancelled. Thanks a lot guys. As I've said numerous times before a vast number of people on this forum find it hard to admit that the producers can do something wrong or bad. Not to mention that if an episode has little moments like Mitchell putting his arm around Teal'c's shoulders as they walk down a corridor, ignoring the dull story, the rubbish script, the gaping plot holes and the general meh-ness of the episode, suddenly the fans think it's the "best episode EVER!"!

I'm not a negative person in the slightest, on the contrary I'm quite optimistic, hence why I keep watching, hoping that that the show I fell in love with for 6 years will stop getting dragged through the mud.

200 offers little hope that the quality will pick up though.

Oh well, the show's been cancelled anyway (few years too late) so never mind anyway.

PG15
November 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I watch hoping to be entertained and though it may surprise you I have been many times in the past few years. 'Flesh and Blood' 'The Pegasus Project' 'Progeny' and 'The Real World' were fantastic episodes from both series.

That they were...well, actually, I didn't like Flesh and Blood that much.

My problem with SG is two-fold:

1. the writer's have basically become lazy fanboys. Lazy in the sense that they'll recycle already recycled plots a thousand times, ignore huge plot holes, recast the same actor for about 10 different characters, make dull episodes, ruin the team dynamic of SG-1 by introducing new characters and attempt to win over fans by keeping the "humour" levels up while keeping the quality down.

Well, that's all your opinion, and I disagree for the most part.

2. The fans, particularly on this forum, have become so attached to the show (nothing wrong with that, 6 seasons of pure quality will do that to you) that they refuse to believe that the show's quality has gone downhill and that TPTB's blind insistence to press on led to the show's cancellation. Now, instead of Wright/Cooper ending the show on a high in seasons 6,7 or even 8, they instead chose to get cancelled. Thanks a lot guys. As I've said numerous times before a vast number of people on this forum find it hard to admit that the producers can do something wrong or bad. Not to mention that if an episode has little moments like Mitchell putting his arm around Teal'c's shoulders as they walk down a corridor, ignoring the dull story, the rubbish script, the gaping plot holes and the general meh-ness of the episode, suddenly the fans think it's the "best episode EVER!"!

Here is where the problems start; how can you tell the difference betwee "attachment" and actual enjoyment? Believe me, having posted more than 4000 posts on this forum, the posters are usually quite honest about their opinions, and attachment usually don't garner the kinds of enthusiasm I've seen from some of the fans (myself included).

Also, I'm pretty sure it's the SciFi exec's fault that SG1's continued past all those seasons; after all, it's them that refused to rebrand SG1 at the end of Season 8, and it's them that renewed SG1 in Seasons 6 and 7. They just wanted to get to the 200th episode, and once we were there...they cancelled the show. Speaks volumes about corporate entertainment if you ask me.

What's more, we must be posting on different forums; I see a lot more "dissent" against the episodes than 100% gushing. Hell, just pick any episode thread and usually there are more complaints than compliments. Sometimes, of course, you get episodes like Pegasus Project where it's almost unanimous enjoyment, but that is very rare on this board.

There is also the fact that those Anti-Season x threads are about twice as long as the Pro-Season x threads.

Once more I'll state my thesis: disliking the show is fine, berating others for liking the show that you don't is stupid and sad.

Anyway, thank you Kpnuts for explaning your feeling so...nicely. ;)

Farscapefan
November 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Not at all. I'm also female and Vala is my absolutely favourite character in the series. All her scenes, including the one you mentioned, are making me smile every time I'm re-watching the episodes and I think it's great that some fun have been finally added to the show. And it's extremely positive thing, at least for me.

angelfire east
November 30th, 2006, 11:54 PM
This was okay to good episode but it didn't stand out to me:( It was fun, entertaining but it didn't have a get "spark" to hook me. I wanted to know how things turned out but this episode just didn't grab me the way other episode have. Though I still enjoyed it.

The Cameron/Landry stuff was fun. Though I think he was too hard on him at the end, he did tell him to relaze(sp). I don't think what he said was so bad, he was joking around. It was good to see him loosen up. I the both of them wlking around in the dark almost shooting one another. The Duck call, I thought we where going to get a seen with Cameron laughing his butt off right outside the door. I can' believe BEn kept himself from laughing. Landry is so weird, I think part of him like messing with Cam:lol:

Cam's car was wicked! He and Sam both have wicked cars. I love seeing him out of unitform. He looked very fine in those clothes:D

I'm sorry to say the CGI scuked for the monster:( The litttle bug/slug thing was great but the monster was just bad, really bad.

Sam winning the game was so fun.:samanime20: I think poker is a game Teal'c would be brilliant at.:tealc39: I loved the star down and Sam winning:D Poor Cam really wasn't having a good time of it, he lost the game, didn't have the greatest few days. On a sidenote, Sam's hair is still bad but better then last week.

I love Vala but she had her moments when she just annoyed me. I fel bad for her when she didn't get to finish saying her plan (she like a child sometimes) but I don't like how she ran off on her own and I think she was too pushy at times in this episode. I loved the part when Teal'c saves her and their laying on the ground.

I loved that Teal'c zaded the bug thing, he's always ready:D

At the start of the episode, Vala annoying Sam and wanting to have some alone time with Teal'c laughing (in his on the inside Teal'c way) was so funny. I loved how Sam told him to take Vala with him :lol: The look on his face. Go Sam:D that is the second time she got on over on Teal'c in this episode and the second time he was "mocking her/laughing at her" and she beat him:lol:

You know what I hate, by the time I see the episode 90% of the debate is over:( Guess there not many people around here posting who watch season 10 for the first time on Space

Favorite quotes from this episode:

CARTER: Still…he's determined to find out how it happened and catch those responsible.

TEAL'C: It is ironic that not so long ago, the mere presence of the Goa'uld on earth would have been cause for great concern.

CARTER: *waves* Seriously. Who'd ever think that we'd have bigger fish to fry? Or that you'd use the word "ironic" in a sentence.*grins*

TEAL'C: Indeed.

VALA: No headaches? No nausea? Nothing that might indicate early symptoms of sudden onset monsterism?

MITCHELL: Snakes…snakes in people's heads. Evil snakes, controlling their host bodies with megalomaniac, take-over-the-galaxy delusions.

CARTER: I think it's unlikely that there's a third creature, Sir.

VALA: Care to place odds on that?

CARTER: *smiles* I'm not much of a gambler.

TEAL'C: That is obvious.

VALA: Ooh. *Carter looks at Teal'c, shocked and a little pissed off* Okay... *turns over card* river comes up...king of spades. Possible royal marriage *Carter continues to give Teal'c the eye* or king Kong in the works.

MITCHELL: Way too much poker channel going on here. *Teal'c bids, smiling* I'm out.

CARTER: *pushes her chips in* I'm all in. *looks to Vala*

VALA: *bites lip* I'm out.

TEAL'C: *Carter turns to Teal'c, waiting, He looks at her, after a moment* A true warrior…knows when to fold them.

MITCHELL: Oh!

CARTER: *grins* Really? *Teal'c nods* I won? *laughs* I was totally bluffing.

LANDRY: *they all groan* Well played, Colonel.

CARTER: Thank you, Sir.

MITCHELL: A true warrior knows when to hold them…She took you downtown, homeboy.

December 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM
I thought this was an average episode with some good moments. There were too many Mitchell/Landry scenes in the cabin, though the duck calling thing was amusing. My favourite part is when Reynolds says "Excuse me, amateurs coming through". What keeps it average is some of the pacing of the episode and the lack of showing the creature in an obviously budget saving way.

I like the new doctor; of course she's just in this episode. What's interesting is that I think the little we see of her is better than the several episodes Dr. Lam was in. Also, it seems that the SGC gets a lot of attractive female doctors.

You know what I hate, by the time I see the episode 90% of the debate is over:( Guess there not many people around here posting who watch season 10 for the first time on Space

Same situation with me. (And Atlantis, too... Space has only shown season 1).

angelfire east
December 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM
I thought this was an average episode with some good moments. There were too many Mitchell/Landry scenes in the cabin, though the duck calling thing was amusing. My favourite part is when Reynolds says "Excuse me, amateurs coming through". What keeps it average is some of the pacing of the episode and the lack of showing the creature in an obviously budget saving way.

I like the new doctor; of course she's just in this episode. What's interesting is that I think the little we see of her is better than the several episodes Dr. Lam was in. Also, it seems that the SGC gets a lot of attractive female doctors.

I forgot about the "Excuse me, amateurs coming through" that was a good one:D I actully enjoyed not seeing the creature becuase it was really bad FZ. Sometimes not seeing something can be just as effactive.

Same situation with me. (And Atlantis, too... Space has only shown season 1).

If you want to talk SGA season one I'd love to talk about it:) I'm on season two which just started on City TV but I'm watching reruns of SGA on other channels which are all from season one.

December 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I forgot about the "Excuse me, amateurs coming through" that was a good one:D I actully enjoyed not seeing the creature becuase it was really bad FZ. Sometimes not seeing something can be just as effactive.

Yeah, I can see that. I think some better camera work might have helped, especially in the offworld scene when Teal'c throws the grenade. I'll need to watch it again but there was something a little off about it when it panned down to show the blown up creature and you could tell they deliberately stopped the camera short of showing it like one would expect from a camera movement like that.

If you want to talk SGA season one I'd love to talk about it:) I'm on season two which just started on City TV but I'm watching reruns of SGA on other channels which are all from season one.

They've actually started season 2? CityTV is really annoying, however, they always reschedule the SG series so some weeks they won't show it. That's why I watch on Space usually. I've actually watched only about half of season 1 of SGA so far (the last half I've seen as well as the first episode, the 5th episode, and some other ones in between). Good thing it's not too arc-based.

angelfire east
December 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I can see that. I think some better camera work might have helped, especially in the offworld scene when Teal'c throws the grenade. I'll need to watch it again but there was something a little off about it when it panned down to show the blown up creature and you could tell they deliberately stopped the camera short of showing it like one would expect from a camera movement like that.

Agreed, some better camera work would have helped. I just watched Season 8's Avatar again and man it had some brilliant camera work in it.

They've actually started season 2? CityTV is really annoying, however, they always reschedule the SG series so some weeks they won't show it. That's why I watch on Space usually. I've actually watched only about half of season 1 of SGA so far (the last half I've seen as well as the first episode, the 5th episode, and some other ones in between). Good thing it's not too arc-based.

Sorry it wasn't City TV, it's ASN who airing season 2. There the only one I can find who air season two and they don't seem to be repeting episodes:(

CityTV is where I watch the reruns of season one. I watch SG1 on Space for that reason also. So far I haven't seen or heard anything about SGA on Space. I thought they be at least reruning it on weekends. That is good it's not in that case. I've watched a few shows, backwards/out-of-order like that. It's a pain but can be fun sometimes. Hopefully you get to see the whole season as well as season 2 soon:)

~Benjamin~
December 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
mmmm what can i say it was a good episode , pity they didnt listen to valas plan B ,i liked when mitchell started laughing near the end when they were playing poker and they all just looked at him

Sasusc
December 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Just rewatched this episode. I must have missed Reynold's "Excuse me, amateurs coming through" line the first time. :D Funny. Of course of the all of the Teal'c/Vala moments. I love how Vala tries to boss everyone around in this episode. I loved Carter's line about "ironic" to Teal'c.

Oh, and I love the mutated monsters on Earth. They were not scary at all, but cute in a weird way. :D I half closed my ears when SG-1 and group are shooting at it. Poor thing.

rosey_angel
January 24th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I didn't have high expectations for this ep at all, so i was pleasently surprised. I like that Carter is more loose with the team, that 'ironic' remark to teal'c, and her having fun at the poker game.

I love the interaction with teal'c/vala. she's so tiny comparted to him, i'm pretty sure he could pick her up with one hand.

i haven't read a lot of what ppl have posted here, but i like that mitchell acknowledges that he's not really in charge, but has a job to do anyway. with everyone concerned with their own things: daniel with merlon etc, carter with science, teal'c with the jaffa and vala with adria, it's nice to have someone to bring them all in

Ozzy O'NeiLL
March 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah I suppose. There were many nice touches to this ep. Overall it wasn't great per se, but it had many things going for it.

Nice touches of humour, character relationship building and some unwinding after all the high-strung episodes they've gone through. Kuddos.

placid
July 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
monster effects were kinda lame. Monster looked (and pretty much acted) like a Doom monster.

Jill_Ion
August 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
I liked this episode. Ooooh, creepy, or at least gooey monsters! On Earth!

At first, it seemed a little strange, with the team all split up, but it came together as the monster-chomping ensued.

Reynolds' "amateurs coming through" remark was great. I've always liked that character.

A bit bummed that the sheriff got eaten, but I guess he'd "seen too much," so had to go anyway.

Vala was pretty funny - I like how her character is developing this season.

So, we have another devilish space bug to deal with - but this time it's our fault. I thought this episode's purpose was to answer the big question - why the heck wouldn't we use the Sodan Warriors cloaking devices? Well, since apparently humans can't stand the radiation, and without the radiation we get mutating spacebugs, that seems to answer that question very nicely!

I miss Dr. Lam. I didn't like this new doctor very much - she seemed nice and competent enough, don't get me wrong - but I don't think they did her hair and makeup in the most complementary way. She looked...odd to us.

Enjoyed the poker game at the end - Sam bluffed and won! :sam:

Two_L's
August 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I thought this episode was a bit slow, but there were still quite a few good parts that I enjoyed. It was also more gory than it usually is with the monster ripping people apart. :p

I thought this was an average episode with some good moments. There were too many Mitchell/Landry scenes in the cabin, though the duck calling thing was amusing. My favourite part is when Reynolds says "Excuse me, amateurs coming through".

Lol, loved that line. :D Landry's duck calling was also hilarious. :lol:

At the start of the episode, Vala annoying Sam and wanting to have some alone time with Teal'c laughing (in his on the inside Teal'c way) was so funny. I loved how Sam told him to take Vala with him :lol: The look on his face. Go Sam:D

The interactions between Sam, Vala and Teal'c were great. I have to say, Vala is growing on me, even if she's still annoying. ;) The game of poker at the end, as someone previously said, was Classic SG-1.

My only complaint would be that with the events primarily taking place at his cabin, it would have been even better had Jack been in the episode. ;)

jckfan55
August 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
My only complaint would be that with the events primarily taking place at his cabin, it would have been even better had Jack been in the episode. ;)

Well, *every* episode would be better with Jack. ;) There were definitely some good moments in this episode. Wish they had spent a bit less time on Landry-Cam, though.

MechaThor
September 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I liked the Idea of this Episode" As the Monster hunting stuff on Earth was great, it felt new, the CGI and general look of the monster alien was excellent (reminded me of a Pinky from DOOM).

HOWEVER! One thing got in the way of an excellent and new idea for the show. And that was.... THE PLOT!

The whole story about the cloaks radiation attracting alien leeches (It was clearly a leech! they could have been a bit more alien in its design, No one even said "hay is that not a leech?") Anyways as i was saying, the claok radiation causing leeches from other dimensions was rubbish! It should have been more simple! Maybe something like the Ori Bugs! We had some Alien leechs at a lab and they escaped into an Earth forest and caused big monsters! Simple!

I understand they needed to find away to state that we can't use the Claoking technology (so we don't get too strong) however they could have done that a diffrent way. Also the leeches don't make sense! Yes they may be on another realm. But Why on every planet? As stated in "Sight Unseen" the bugs we was seeing in that episode were just the bugs evolved on Earth and that the ancients would have been studing diffrent creatures. But this leech appeared on 3 diffrent planets! Unless its transported like rats across the galaxy, it don't work. Also what dose it do in its realm and why did all the creatures look the same? Surly the leech going into diffrent animals would make diffrent shaped mutant/deformed monsters?

Finally one last rant! The Original alien host (shown as a lema but descride as an alien animal only found on that planet) They could have photoshoped it to make it look more Alien! Like giving it horns or diffrent colours. However all i see is a googled image of a lema!

But apart from all the above the monsters did look cool, and the Landry Duck stuff was funny! So not bad in the end!

skeezix
September 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM
This is an odd question, but does anyone know what type of leather jacket Cam was wearing in this ep? Or at least a way I could find out? It looked really cool and I happen to be looking for one.

cavalierlwt
October 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM
That would be quite the poker game they had there, between Tealc's 24x7 poker face, Vala's likely skill at cheating, and Sam's logic and ability to crunch the numbers dealing with the odds. I think Mitchell would be broke pretty damn quick.

Muh_tuttles
May 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM
That would be quite the poker game they had there, between Tealc's 24x7 poker face, Vala's likely skill at cheating, and Sam's logic and ability to crunch the numbers dealing with the odds. I think Mitchell would be broke pretty damn quick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Mitchell would be plunging into everything head first and making outrages wins and losses. However, the cluey side of his nature would prevent him from doing too much and he'd be really good.

Jeff O'Connor
September 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
This was a decent enough episode. The plot itself didn't interest me too much, but the character moments galore were great. I love how they ended the episode. A real, classic (yet not) moment going on, there.

Madwelshboy
December 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM
This was a decent enough episode. The plot itself didn't interest me too much, but the character moments galore were great. I love how they ended the episode. A real, classic (yet not) moment going on, there.

Agreeed!!! i love the poker sence at the end! classic!

vzzzzzbx
August 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Just watched this on dvd and either I missed it when it was first shown or I had simply forgotten about it, I even said "woah" out load when the terror bear (or whatever it was supposed to be) attacked the sheriff. Not bad for an earth-based episode, even if some of the creature CGI was a bit ropey.

iMenchi
February 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I just noticed an error in this episode and wondered if anyone else noticed it.

Carter tells Teal'c and Vala to go with teams 3 and 25, but in the next scene Landry tells Mitchell that teams 3 and 5 are with them.

mrscopterdoc
April 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
The creature was somewhat lame looking. *sigh* But good episode. Sam said "holy hannah" :lol:

maneth
January 31st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Not a major episode, but pretty cool nevertheless. The creature looked funny, though.

mathpiglet
May 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Although it had its moments, on the whole I found this kind of boring.

Dave2
February 2nd, 2012, 07:31 AM
What happened to the mutated creatures caused by the Sodan device on all those other planets? Were they also destroyed?
It seems to me that SG1 was pretty unaffected at the end of the episode by the fact of all those people having been killed on the other planets through their own use of the Sodan cloaking device. They don't seem to care by the end of the story......

Although it had its moments, on the whole I found this kind of boring.

Lieutenant Sparrow
May 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I actually enjoyed this ep. Even had a few laughs. The scenes between Landry and Cam were funny. Especially Landry's duck call haha.

So Cam carries a gun on him loaded?

Had I not already seen this ep I would never have guessed that the creatures were caused by a leech looking thing coming from faulty Sodan devices.

Oh and I spotted Kassa! Image in spoiler

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb455/LordCooler1/kassa.png

hedwig
May 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I actually enjoyed this ep. Even had a few laughs. The scenes between Landry and Cam were funny. Especially Landry's duck call haha.

So Cam carries a gun on him loaded?

Had I not already seen this ep I would never have guessed that the creatures were caused by a leech looking thing coming from faulty Sodan devices.

Oh and I spotted Kassa! Image in spoiler

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb455/LordCooler1/kassa.png

They all do at some point. Jack had one in "Full Alert" when he caught Kinsey in his house.

Sam has one, though it's often been when she's on duty. Not sure we've actually seen her with one when she's off duty, but she probably does. I doubt Daniel does, though.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
May 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I thought it was a great episode. Best Earth-Based of the Series. It was nice seeing a different side of Cam and Landry. Great ending, and that monster was cool too. Only 1 week to go until the 200th episode.
*Thinks of the other Earth-Based episodes* Might be the best Earth-Based episode.

Thought it was an okay episode, but still fast paced. The ending and monster were cool.

Tomorrow, the 200th episode and the darkest hour for the series (when the ep originally aired).

Jae'a
May 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/52665.html)

Yay, some hunters die! :)
I spotted the kassa too, I thought I was imagining it. :P

Krisz
May 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
This episode was better than I remembered.

I liked the idea of the weird side effects of the use of the Sodan cloaking devices. This was really a thing that came to snap them in the a$$$ in the form of mutated monsters! It was funny how the team went through with trying to work out if the Ori were up to their devious tricks again but it turned out to be an unfortunate effect of their activities.

Mitchell trying to keep a straight face as Landry enthused about the "plaintive mating call of the Fulvous Whistling Duck" was funny.

jelgate
May 9th, 2012, 06:57 PM
The CGI in this episode is poorly done. Besides that this is a great episode. I really like showing the negative aspects of the Sodan cloak. Once again SG-1 showing that advanced technology has negative side effects. It was interesting to show that the cloak was dangerous if altered. You would think we should know by now that altering technology has nasty side effects. I also like the interaction betwee Landry and Cam. Landry is simliar in development to Hammond so it is not surprising that Landry gets little development compared to the other characters. This episode to me did a nice job of developing Landry and showing us that like Jack, Landry has a nice appreciation of nature and showing that contrast to Cam. I also liked the poker scene at the end of the episode. Kind of reminds me of fishing with the old SG-1

Matt G
May 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tuesday night another ep of SG1...

1. Forgot a lot about what this ep was about initially.

2. Also forgot about the creature killing the sherriff.

3. Vala seemed relatively cheesy here.

Not that good on rewatch.

Brother Freyr
May 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
The plaintive mating call of the Fulvis Whistling Duck... best Landry moment ever.

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Tuesday night another ep of SG1...

1. Forgot a lot about what this ep was about initially.

2. Also forgot about the creature killing the sherriff.

3. Vala seemed relatively cheesy here.

Not that good on rewatch.I agree, not one of my faves

Darian
July 3rd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Awesome killer creatures great episode

Cluas
February 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM
I didn't like the look of that computer graphics monster. Otherwise pretty cool episode. Good to see Landry and Mitchell together.

:cameron21:

Anja
October 20th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Nice ep, good interaction between a General and one of his 'underlings' - awkwardness, humour and a . shoot-off.
The monster was that ugly that you couldn't feel any sympathy. Liked Vala explaining the plan with Landry right behind her - like Mitchell's face even better when Landry makes the duck call.
Great entertainment for me.

altair
October 19th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Again, my first viewing of this ep with my 13 year delay.
I enjoyed it. The monster on the loose/mystery was well handled, and I liked Cam and Landry's scenes. Cam is becoming a better character and his contrast with Landry was human and fun.
Why is it overcast, pine forests are always spooky? That cabin could have stood in for a Halloween or Evil Dead remake. And if it was jack's, WHERE ARE THE NONEXISTENT FISH??
Vala was also very good, and when she gets good lines, she's strong and witty. Also had great advice on monsters.
The monster kind of looked like running vomit. Use of the parasite inside it was clever, and previous posts on the bad side effects of superior technology were shown. Sam was also good as SG-1 commander. The poker game was a fun conclusion. I didn't like a lot of season nine, but it does seem like the series went through a rebound in season ten. had many good moments with it.

hedwig
October 19th, 2018, 03:59 PM
One of my favorite parts of this episode is when Vala says something about amateurs on this mission, and Reynolds hears her and says "Excuse me, amateurs coming through" and goes around her to follow the rest of the group. :)

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 22nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Reynolds is one of my favorite recurring characters.

Seaboe

hedwig
October 22nd, 2018, 12:39 PM
Reynolds is one of my favorite recurring characters.

Seaboe

Mine too.