• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did the Ancients lose the war against the Wraith? Or did they? SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

The Ancient hologram in Atlantis mentioned a force as powerful as them. The series clearly shows that Atlantis' shield managed to handle the combined power of the Wraith's military tech, so the Ancients were obviously far superior technologically.

Now we know from Stargate the Movie, the Ancient Egyptians managed to drive the Gouald away from Earth. The only explanation for this was the superior numbers of the Egyptians and the Guaold had already established human colonies offworld.

So perhaps the Ancients were pushed back to Atlantis due to the Wraith's numbers. A hive like race would usually have far more numbers than one such as ours. Now when the Ancients were pushed back, they made the assumption that they were defeated. From the wraith posts on scifi.com, I get the impression that the Wraith didn't think they won the war. Each was making assumptions about the other. The Ancients, not being a warlike race may have just decided to return to more peaceful pastures, also with them experimenting with ascension, the Wraith didn't seem important anymore.

The Wraith clearly make a distinction between normal humans and the Ancients. I think that any battles fought between the two cost the Wraith huge losses for even a hive community to take, while the Ancients would consider the loss of even one of their people a terrible blow. The personal shield that was discovered could have prevented the Wraith from 'eating' an Ancient. So they were classed as the Great Ancient Enemy instead of just 'food'.
    Check out Stargate Quantum Wars!
    http://quantumgate.stargatewars.com/...d=hb1111394599

The virus released by the Wraith is what did the Ancients in... Ancient tech is superior but the Wraith have larger numbers. I don't understand why the Ancients took to Stargate back to Earth instead of taking Atlantis.

Comment

> I don't understand why the Ancients took to Stargate back to Earth
      > instead of taking Atlantis.

Maybe they were going to but, when they looked into Atlantis's rear view mirror, they saw the wraith mothership following them...

Yeah, that'd be a good idea, wouldn't it?

They probably didn't want the Wraith to find the Milky Way galaxy (ours).

Comment

As the hologram stated, they came upon a terrible enemy in its slumber. They found the Wraith. They introduced themselves. An ancient was captured by the Wraith and psychiatrically probed for information. If an enemy can make you do things and say things you dont want to, that is one powerful enemy.

Spoilers.
        Also, the self-destruct mechanism made sure that the Wraith dont get captured and studied for quests to find weapons against.

Seriously, the Wraith and the Ancients are quite equal in technology and ability, but the Ancients were arrogant and they were defeated. Also realize that the Wraith soldiers didnt think twice before blowing himself up. He just did it. He has a straight forward mind. Not feelings like the Ancients and the humans. No personality as well.

Comment

Spoilers

The ancients have superior technology, Calicto. One puddle jumper made it past a small armada of darts in Rising. And we didn't even know it had weapons until the last minute!
          sigpic

Comment

Darts? The Wraith's ships are called darts?
            "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Gateworld's Atlantis 'Universe' Section:

The enemy possesses advanced ships too, of course. The Wraith Dart is a small, maneuverable ship capable of gate travel. It is described as oily black, sharply pointed and with a glowing underside. The Wraith planet has a Stargate in orbit, indicating that it's rather common to travel the Stargate network by ship in this part of the universe.

But it's definetly not as advanced as a Puddle Jumper.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                An ancient was captured by the Wraith and psychiatrically probed for information. If an enemy can make you do things and say things you dont want to, that is one powerful enemy.
                Psychiatrically?

Wraith psychiatrist: Soooo, tell me, Atlantean, why do you hate your mother?

To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  Gateworld's Atlantis 'Universe' Section:

The enemy possesses advanced ships too, of course. The Wraith Dart is a small, maneuverable ship capable of gate travel. It is described as oily black, sharply pointed and with a glowing underside. The Wraith planet has a Stargate in orbit, indicating that it's rather common to travel the Stargate network by ship in this part of the universe.

But it's definetly not as advanced as a Puddle Jumper.
                  Uhm, thanks. But how do you know that a Puddle is superior advanced then a Dart? Is there any evidence?

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                    Uhm, thanks. But how do you know that a Puddle is superior advanced then a Dart? Is there any evidence?
                    How about the fact that one little puddle jumper in the hands of novices/non-Ancients kicked the crap out of a squadron of Darts? Or the fact that when the cloak is enabled, the Wraith can't detect them?
                    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                      How about the fact that one little puddle jumper in the hands of novices/non-Ancients kicked the crap out of a squadron of Darts? Or the fact that when the cloak is enabled, the Wraith can't detect them?
                      That's what I was going to say

1 Little Glowy Jellyfish of Doom can destroy a wraith dart. The puddle jumper has an unspecified amount of them, but I assume it's a large number. (I wonder if the puddle jumper synthesizes new ones when it's inactive?)
                      sigpic

Comment

TO Buzz and Mio:

How about the fact that they were just really lucky! As far as i know they weren't really shot. I mean those darts hit them but not really in the middle of the ship. The Puddle also does not posses a shield system. And is not a combat ship exactly, like a Death glider. It's more like expeditionary one. And the rockets are also bad idea. they can run out of munition unlike Darts or any Goauld vessel.

btw. They could have brought an Round Goauld glider with them. That one that can go through gate.

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
                          TO Buzz and Mio:

btw. They could have brought an Round Goauld glider with them. That one that can go through gate.
                          That was a prototype Glider, it barly fit thru the gate, it is extreamly hard for anyone to fly except those who have fought many battles with gliders and are trained. Teal'c And Bratac are the only ones who can fly it I believe,(especially sine they have the onlyone in existence) So They couldnt of brought it cause it belongs to Bratac, tis on another planet theres no room in the gateroom. We dont know if the puddle jumper has shields or not because Mckay just found a lsit of new commands, and also they dont know all of the ones on the jumper, so it is possible it has sheilds. Also have you looked at all the jumpers in the Puddle Jumper Bay? It seems like alot survived the war with the Wraith and they may have another bay hidden somewhere, Also did you noptice how the puddle jumpers had an abundant amount of squids? This supports the theory that it sorta synthasized new ones, this would be great be cause wed have unlimited ammo at the Earth outpost. I would also like to point out, that Sheppard said to the Wraith the Ancients were good at making shields, if thsi is true they should but a sheild on everything. Another thing is that the set up of the Puddle Jumper is for an expedition team, an Expidition team should be at all times ready to fight the unknown.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                            That was a prototype Glider, it barly fit thru the gate, it is extreamly hard for anyone to fly except those who have fought many battles with gliders and are trained. Teal'c And Bratac are the only ones who can fly it I believe,(especially sine they have the onlyone in existence) So They couldnt of brought it cause it belongs to Bratac, tis on another planet theres no room in the gateroom. We dont know if the puddle jumper has shields or not because Mckay just found a lsit of new commands, and also they dont know all of the ones on the jumper, so it is possible it has sheilds. Also have you looked at all the jumpers in the Puddle Jumper Bay? It seems like alot survived the war with the Wraith and they may have another bay hidden somewhere, Also did you noptice how the puddle jumpers had an abundant amount of squids? This supports the theory that it sorta synthasized new ones, this would be great be cause wed have unlimited ammo at the Earth outpost. I would also like to point out, that Sheppard said to the Wraith the Ancients were good at making shields, if thsi is true they should but a sheild on everything. Another thing is that the set up of the Puddle Jumper is for an expedition team, an Expidition team should be at all times ready to fight the unknown.
                            Havent seen suspicion yet. Did they use a lot that puddle?

Comment

Okay... the Ancients might have had more advanced tech, but the Wraith won the war. The Wraith arent primitive... they have their own gadgets to fight the Ancients. However, they can life drain and they can take information from your mind and they can instill fear in you. They are really hard to kill aswell and Wraith soldiers dont have feelings (They'll blow themselves up without thought if captured) Therefore, the Wraith's abilities give them an edge as well.

The Puddle Jumper was also in the hands of a VERY capable pilot. Also, you cant assume that the Ancients are better because the Puddle Jumper is better than a Dart.

Atlantis, I think, has like 9 or less Puddle Jumpers. The Wraith have atleast 40++ Darts. Therefore, a puddle jumper might take longer to build than a Dart but a dart may be weaker...

Comment

Working...
                              X