This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla becoming less important?

Looking back on season two, I'm beginning to wonder how important Teyla's character actually is now. Originally she joined the team because she provided an insight into Wraith behavior and tactics that no other team member possessed, but now with Ronan it almost seems like her contributions (or looking back on season two, her lackthereof) are unnecessary and sparse. Even ignoring Ronan's overshadowing, her physcic abilities were extremely underutilized and her character extremely under-developed. In many cases (such as in "Runner" and "Michael") her sole purposse in the plot seemed to be the character who tries to comfort the outsider. Does anyone feel the same?

Originally posted by OldSchoolKlingon
    Looking back on season two, I'm beginning to wonder how important Teyla's character actually is now. Originally she joined the team because she provided an insight into Wraith behavior and tactics that no other team member possessed, but now with Ronan it almost seems like her contributions (or looking back on season two, her lackthereof) are unnecessary and sparse. Even ignoring Ronan's overshadowing, her physcic abilities were extremely underutilized and her character extremely under-developed. In many cases (such as in "Runner" and "Michael") her sole purposse in the plot seemed to be the character who tries to comfort the outsider. Does anyone feel the same?
    I do agree with you..when it comes to S2. I was actually very worried about that. But if you notice all the characters were underdeveloped and underutilized in S2, to focus entirely on the Wraith. Besides CM and Coup, all the other episodes revolved in some way around the Wraith and/or for the Wraith. And what's sad about it, it didn't give us anything that we didn't already know besides the fact that they did not feed on Ronon---which we are still unaware of..they have a weakened ship, and lastly they have far more human feelings that we gave them credit for. Again this wasa a far cry from their inception in S1, but nothing really juicy to bite into like...The Gift.

In the case of Teyla which reflects on the others, what hurt her more was the fact that she did not have an episode that was primarily tailored around her, except for---and this is far reaching---Instinct. All the other characters although equally hurt this season she just was there without lines...while McKay and John were given lines but no substance; example is Condemned. And this of course reflected poorly on Teyla--since her character like the others are easily overshadowed by John and Rodney....especially Rodney who's a character that is so in your face is rather disconcerting. (But I love him anyway!)

But there's more as well, I think what we see is, that she has become this awful 'moral compass', which I say tentatively---since I think it's a crap place to be in or be labeled as. I don't think it was the intentions of the writers, but it gave something for Teyla to do and also really did show that aspect of her---which softened her rather formidable and gruff exterior, which was basically untouchable in S1. And her persona in S1 was written well and perfectly due to the circumstances the character had to endure.

Again I must say that because of her characterization in S2, I was very very very worried about S3. But luckily I have a few friends who are friends with JM and such...who informed me that Teyla will be seen and will be playing majorly dynamic roles. They were also worried about Teyla since their fans of the character, plus I think they got fed up with my whining.
    Spoiler:
    I believe that the episode 'Phantoms' is a primarily Teyla based story. And she will be play a significant role in all the episodes--especially Misbegotten. She'll also be flying a ships (either more than one ship, or more than one time; RL had mentioned this on her question/answer board.), I know which ep, but won't say; so we'll see further development in her character or an added ability and a few other things. She also gets more backstory added.
    So there's plenty to look forward too...maybe the rather lackluster representation she was given in S2, will be salvaged.

VB
    Last edited by vaberella; 11 July 2006, 01:52 PM.
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I personally have never really had much time for the Teyla character. I find Rachel Luttrell's acting 70% of the time to be quite wooden, although she has had good points.
      The character of Teyla I just think is really boring, the only saving grace being her Wraith DNA.

Personally I would`ve preferred if they got rid of Teyla in S2 rather than Ford as he was I think a representation of what we would all be like if we were in that situation.

I think both she and Ronon are just a poor man's Teal'c. I don`t find either character particularly interesting or appealing.

And don`t even get me started on Teyla's singing scene!
      Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
      Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k5
        I personally have never really had much time for the Teyla character. I find Rachel Luttrell's acting 70% of the time to be quite wooden, although she has had good points.
        The character of Teyla I just think is really boring, the only saving grace being her Wraith DNA.

Personally I would`ve preferred if they got rid of Teyla in S2 rather than Ford as he was I think a representation of what we would all be like if we were in that situation.

I think both she and Ronon are just a poor man's Teal'c. I don`t find either character particularly interesting or appealing.

And don`t even get me started on Teyla's singing scene!
        I would refrain from commenting on acting or singing ability unless of course you think you can do it yourself---and better. You don't get a resume for ballet, acting and singing like her..if you don't have some amount of skill. The schools she learned at, are out of this world.

For the rest..to each his own.

VB

Comment

I almost thought they were going to lock her up in an Atlantis closet and only get her out when needed.

I want to see mucho Teyla, and preferably saving the day for once. And if we're getting a Teyla-centered episode, that'll definitely make my day.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
            I almost thought they were going to lock her up in an Atlantis closet and only get her out when needed.

I want to see mucho Teyla, and preferably saving the day for once. And if we're getting a Teyla-centered episode, that'll definitely make my day.

We are...I think I heard talk of Teyla getting two centered eps. And most of the other eps she plays a significant role. So yeah...there shall be 'mucho Teyla'.... I'll ask again..but for certain Phantoms is her ep.

Comment

I disagree with what has been written here so far...I think Teyla was brilliant in season 2 even during her lack of lines and screen time...I thought she presented a side of her in Season 2 completely different than in Season 1..In Season 1 I thought Teyla had the potential but she was the one in the back and making the one liner lines..she was more the voice of reason and she was the observant throughout the season until finally we got to see some better lines for her in Letter from Pegasus, The Gift, Siege 1 and 2..

However, Season 2 we got to see more emotion from Teyla...a more human side of Teyla and a more confident and outspoken Teyla...yes, I think there was some poor work from the writers but that can be said for all the characters like VB menioned..first to come to mind is in Intruder...I mean I would have love to have had two stories going on in Intruder and seeing Teyla take charge and run Atlantis...with Zelenka! that would have been superb! Clearly, she has taken a role that she rightfully deserved in Atlantis if they were able to trust her to lead and run the place for a month.....that was such a great miss plot right there for her..but nevertheless an open opportunity for a future episode..

But if you go back...and review the episodes that she was in...we got to see something that can bring more in her character for seasons to come...For example, Trinity was a fantastic side episode for Teyla and in my opinion, she held that side of the episode on her own without John or Rodney..frankly, I can't even tell you what the heck they did in that episode cause it was nothing different from what those two do in every other episode and frankly, the writers need to do something else with john and rodney...because eventhough it's funny is getting predictable and boring!

But in Teyla, we got to see a dark side, one in which she clearly has her doubts and questions the actions of the Atlantians..she seems to be blending in to their culture when in reality it's just making her deepen further her strong bond with her own culture...she had Ronon there, but he was just the brawn of the episode..the real story was Teyla! and she held it just fine!

In Condemned, I thought she was great as part of the team episode..frankly that is one of my favorite episodes of the season due to the team work and the mind blowing action and she played in it just as much or as little as the others...

In Critical Mass..again...another side episode for Teyla in which she clearly demonstrated her passion and loyalty for her people amidst the middle of chaos..she set her people first and that stood out....great singing and great performance..something completely different, again from any of the other characters...and I could go on..but I would fill the entire page...who else in the entire Atlantis has such a complex and unpredictable character besides Teyla...not only that, but she's the one that creates the voice of reasoning and in the end, saves their butts...should I remind you of Michael...she had a lot to do with the success of what they were able to accomplish with him..and even in Allies..her relationship with Michael probably saved their assess from the Wraith Queen, yet to be determined!

In Instinct...she was brave, compassionate and still got the job done...again..I could go on...I love her line to Ronon after she woke up and was so concerned for John...again..who saved his ass..TEYLA! by telling Ronon to leave and go help John..but the line that was a kicker for me was the one where she tells Ronon, We make the choice or something like that...again..clearly demonstrating that she is there with the team and is part of the team but she's fully aware of when and where she can do what she thinks is the right thing to do...

In Duet...no one made Ronon change his mind about staying...who do you think convinced him to stay..again..Teyla..her voice of reasoning, her guidance, her strength was something that captivated Ronon and if she can put up with these people then so can he!

In Aurora..such a small role...yet so wonderful..the way she tells Ronon to be quiet..the way she outsmarted McKay that even took John by surprise..PRICELESS! which one of them gets lines like that on such rare occasions and can pull it off beautifully!? TEYLA!

In Epiphany.....who showed Rodney what she can do!? Even Rodney is beginning to see a new side of Teyla..a smart, intelligent, Xena! hahahahaha

that there is no question that Teyla's character is not used as much, I totally agree..but I guess my feeling in this is that despite the fact that she's not the main character like John, Weir, and Rodney..she is on top there..and she's extremely significant to defeating not only the Wraith but to their survival in the Pegasus Galaxy...

Finally, Conversion...a sensitive, emotional Teyla..risking it all to save John..
              Inferno...saving and helping others...in the process...even Caldwell sees highly of her..The Long Goodbye..not even Ronon lasted 20 minutes before John himself tricked him and Weir shot him....and yet, who saved the day! yup..Rodney..but Teyla saved both Weir and Sheppard from killing each other and she would have done what needed to be done and even die with Sheppard to save everyone else...wonderful episode for Teyla..again..she was not the star, but she sure as heck did more than any of the others in there!

I think she's the most interesting, mysterious, and most difficult and complex character in Atlantis...and besides, if the fact that they give us these niptips on Teyla only make her more interesting in my view of coarse and give her more opportunity for future plot episodes! she's certainly far from the alien hot babe eye candy stereotype that people thought her to be..and she's that too...of coarse!

How do any of the other characters compare to that? again, just my opinion!

and I could go on!
              Last edited by Jeyla4ever; 11 July 2006, 03:05 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolKlingon
                I don't feel the same way... but some of your observations I think are true. Others not so much. TPTB seem to have downplayed her alienness (pardon the made up word) I personally loved the mental abilities from 'The Gift.' There's alot to do with that.. but Teyla does still have great potential... I'm hoping for some great episodes next Season.

I didn't think there were any Teyla episodes... but Critical Mass was a great half episode for Teyla. The Ring ceremony brought back the Athosians who I always liked when they were in the city... it added life and diversity, and some conflict.

In 38 mins... their views clashed sharply with the Atlanteans. Tension = great TV.
                Join the Ori War Today.Join Now

Comment

I don't believe Teyla was a very well conceived character from day one. In season 1 she was only window dressing. There to be the token hot chick and her late season Wraith mind-melding abilities were lifted right from the character of Lyta in B5. When there were whispers a character was being discarded I would have bet on her.

In season 2 the character seemed to turn a corner and become more interesting. Some feel it was due to her interactions with Ronon, and I agree she has a good rapport with him (not ship mind you). The two work well together and frequently their scenes were the most interesting, over those involving Shep and McKay, IMO (Trinity, Inferno as two examples).

I've heard some complaints about Teyla having a "holier than thou" attitude and I can see where they are coming from. The writers are trying to make her a wise and stable influence and while I think its a good idea, there is still work to be done. She does seem to "lecture" at times and I get an attitude of "I told you so" now and then which isn't very appealing. Rachel is doing a good job with what the writers are giving her, but they aren't giving her much.

I hate to say it, but TPTB do not know how to write well for female characters. If they removed Teyla or Weir tomorrow, it wouldn't matter in the overall story arc one bit. Neither character is consistent - both are attractive and dignified characters in some episodes, but useless and simply wall covering in others. The writers have the opportunity to create two intelligent and memorable characters with both Teyla and Weir. I just wish they would do it and concentrate less on super-McKay and babe magnet Shep.

Comment

Season 1 - Teyla was boring.

Season 2 - Much improved. Getting there.

Biggest Complaint: Same as above posters. I'm tring to figure out why Sam Carter is so essential on SG1, but the same writers can't make Weir or Teyla nearly as interesting. They don't need the 200 IQ, just give them substance and make them integral to the story arc. Honestly, (hate to say this) both could disappear tomorrow with no lasting injury to the show.

My Wish List: I want to see an episode minus Sheppard and McKay, where it is up to Elizabeth and Teyla to save the universe, without manly assistance!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Is Teyla becoming less important? Well, no and yes. If we're talking about her place in Atlantis, then no she's not becoming less important since Ronon's arrival because she and Ronon are not interchangeable characters, despite the lazy, plot-driven writing. If we're talking about her place in the minds of the writers, then yes I believe she is becoming less important - that is if the writers ever considered her as more than the hot alien chick in the first place.

As Camy mentioned in her summary of significant Teyla events in Season 2 episodes, Teyla has had some pretty good moments in Season 2, the problem is that those moments didn't drive the storylines so if you're not a Teyla fan or a fan who loves all the characters, then you may have overlooked them.

The reason for this thread and the several other anti and/or anti/discussion threads is the lazy, inconsistent writing and characterization. Each of the main characters has suffered because of this, especially in Season 2. For Teyla this has been a good news/bad news situation because the good news is that her character suffered the least, but the bad news is that she suffered the least because the writers couldn't seem to muster the energy to write her as more than an afterthought.

Despite the original intent of the writers, this character refuses to be easily characterized and the result is that some viewers find it easier to assign labels to her that don't really fit, and then dismiss her, and others just actively dislike her without quite knowing why. And, it's unfortunate that the writers seem to be having the same reaction, at least in terms of inaccurately labeling and then dismissing her.

I love this character, but I realize that she's not an easy character to write for and as a result, the professional SGA writers do what I've seen too many fanfic writers do and that's keep her in the background as the wise, caring alien to be trotted out every now and again to sprout a few words of wisdom before fading into the background again. What a waste.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana

Comment

To say that Teyla is a less important member of SGA, is like saying Dr. Jackson isn’t important to SG-1. Each member of the team plays an important part: John provides military expertise, Rodney dabbles in science, Ronon provides that extra bit of muscle and a unique fighting perspective against the Wraith, and Teyla provides contacts, history and (dare I say it) moral direction. Many like to compare Ronon and Teyla because they are both natives of Pegasus and are both fighters, but that’s were their similarities end. As a Runner Ronon had to isolate himself from many things, Teyla didn’t; giving them two very diverse stories to explore. Unfortunately, as someone has mentioned before, TPTB aren’t providing enough story time to take a deeper look at this character (which I pray will soon change). Most of the SGA stories we see are centered on John and Rodney, leaving a lot of talented people with nothing but a line here or there. BUT, considering what the actress has been given to work with, she has done extremely well. Also, as mentioned before, Teyla’s character may be given limited dialog, but on many occasions her actions (though small) have helped the storyline progress.

Comment

I think it's unrealistic to think that the writers will do anything different than what they've already done with the characters besides give them more centered episodes...I am asking for more Teyla centered episodes because she doesn't get the star shine attention that she rightfully deserves..but in reality, the episodes that include the team and that involves many of the characters are the ones that are my personal favorites..which is why Condemned is on the top of my list of favorites...

The reality is and we all know this...that the writers all love Rodney..he seems to be the ultimate favorite...and several of the writers have said so..he's the most consistent of all the characters as far as character development and story lines..what I do hate is when they dismiss the characters from specific episodes like what they did to Teyla in GUP...that to me shows that the writers just had nothing better to do with Teyla, Ronon and Carson...that's half of the main characters right there!
                          How can they do that!?
                          It really boggles my mind! Overall, I think that like Devine wrote..Rachel has done an amazing job with her character with the poor lines that they've given her..but I do believe that there is a great improvement with her character and the writers have definetly expanded and opened many interesting plots for her character to develop even further.

I think a lot of the problem is that so many new character are being introduce in the show that take over the other character and it just kills the foundation that is yet missing from the main characters...

Perfect example was Michael....an entire episode for a great character but that meant less screen time for the others...although ironically I loved that episode because it was so Teyla centered...and so less of Rodney and even Sheppie...we got to see a great amount of Ronon and Carson...whom I love!

So, yeah..it is sad that these writers have come up with these wonderful female characters that Teyla and Weir are..yet they don't seem to do them justice on paper and screen!

Move those boys aside and let the girls reign! YIPEE!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devine27
                            To say that Teyla is a less important member of SGA, is like saying Dr. Jackson isn’t important to SG-1. Each member of the team plays an important part: John provides military expertise, Rodney dabbles in science, Ronon provides that extra bit of muscle and a unique fighting perspective against the Wraith, and Teyla provides contacts, history and (dare I say it) moral direction. Many like to compare Ronon and Teyla because they are both natives of Pegasus and are both fighters, but that’s were their similarities end. As a Runner Ronon had to isolate himself from many things, Teyla didn’t; giving them two very diverse stories to explore. Unfortunately, as someone has mentioned before, TPTB aren’t providing enough story time to take a deeper look at this character (which I pray will soon change). Most of the SGA stories we see are centered on John and Rodney, leaving a lot of talented people with nothing but a line here or there. BUT, considering what the actress has been given to work with, she has done extremely well. Also, as mentioned before, Teyla’s character may be given limited dialog, but on many occasions her actions (though small) have helped the storyline progress.
                            Due respect, but Teyla is no Daniel Jackson. For the record, I like Teyla, but they have not been rounding her out like they could. Hopefully in S3 there will be more, but if they dd get rid of Teyla, although we may not like it, at this point, it wouldn't be hard to fill in the gap.
                            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                            it has it's own laws and beats about things
                            which the intellect scorns."
                            - Mark Twain -

Comment

I agree with Devine27 in saying each member plays they're part in the show but imho I just have not been feeling Teylas character these past two seasons and I just find her boring half the time. Season one was eh ok for me but season two, it was a shame. It's not to say i don't like Teyla because I do, I just really think her character isn't doing much right now and needs a serious improvement because all she ever really did this season was go offworld, have a few small parts where she would be doing something for herself by traveling somewhere (trinity), or just give her wise input. I think the only episode I really liked her in was Michael, though my own personal opinions on that ep may make my opinion on her character in Michael biased

Can nobodies be somebodies?
                              My Livejournal
                              Lemming #63!

Comment

Working...
                              X