The Release-format of episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Release-format of episodes

Because of the seriousness of the issue, I've created this topic so members can voice their opinions without incurring any bias from the Horizon devteam. I don't have advanced-permissions to make polls or stickies or anything, so this will have to do...

Today an interesting thread has caused some controversy that Horizon is not worth reading because of how our episodes are released. I know some of you enjoy reading them as they are - I also have no problem reading stories in either format - however, since there seems to be a number of fans who are put off because they are scripts, I believe this subject needs to be addressed.

If there are those of you who don't read the show because of the format, you really should tell us about it. The job of Horizon Productions is not solely to create a fan-fiction series for those who enjoy Stargate, but also to make you feel comfortable reading them. It's why we're here.

So, I've created this simple multiple-choice question for all members to voice their decisions on. I would ask that those who prefer the scripts to not make rude or uncalled-for comments to other members; as they have as much right to their opinions as you do.

How would fans like the episodes to be released:
    1) As scripts?
    2) In "novelised" format (like reading a normal book)
    3) I don't know (I would like the option to choose)?

I spoke to Alex about this some time ago because I also wanted to rewrite the Season 1 Pilot, so if novelised versions of the episodes are what fans want, I am happy to do it for those who feel as if they can't go near the scripts without cringing.

We wouldn't be here without support from the community, so your opinions have always been important to us.
    As scripts
    70.59%
    In "novelised" format (like reading a normal book)
    17.65%
    I don't know (I would like the option to choose)
    11.76%
    "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
    ==============================================================
    Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
    Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

I really like Stargate Horizon, it is quality stargate fan fiction.
    I like the script format it's pretty easy to read.
    But I put prefer reading things in more of a novel format.
    sigpic
    Sig made by NAD - THANK YOU SO MUCH

August 27, 2011 official Teslen ship day....mark your calenders.

Comment

Something important is about to happen! I'm going to be a rebel and change 123 to abc!
      *gasp* The daring I must have!
      How very rebellious!
      a

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

I'm perfectly happy with how things are now.
        This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

I've added a poll to this thread. If you don't want it, shoot me a PM and I'll take it down.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Script. As I said before.
            Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              I've added a poll to this thread. If you don't want it, shoot me a PM and I'll take it down.
              No it's great, thankyou.

It would be nice if it could be flagged as news on GW's main site, though -- if people are avoiding the show because it is in script-form, an announcement for general visitors on the site might encourage others to join in on the thread.
              "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
              Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
              Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiletron
                It would be nice if it could be flagged as news on GW's main site, though -- if people are avoiding the show because it is in script-form, an announcement for general visitors on the site might encourage others to join in on the thread.
                The main site is solely under Darren's control. Maybe if you sent him a quick blub saying something like "Re-release of Horizon episodes is being considered...fan input vital to the decision-making process" and asked him to, he might consider making it a news item.

Comment

The main site is solely under Darren's control. Maybe if you sent him a quick blub saying something like "Re-release of Horizon episodes is being considered...fan input vital to the decision-making process" and asked him to, he might consider making it a news item.
                  On that note, I've just made a rather lengthy post over on this thread. As I said there, towards the end, releasing episodes as both scripts and in novel format is something I'd be very interested in doing. If we get the people together for doing it, there's really no reason not to. People could choose to read it either in its original script form, or as the novelized version. Or, if they chose to, they can read both versions.
                  Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit
                    On that note, I've just made a rather lengthy post over on this thread. As I said there, towards the end, releasing episodes as both scripts and in novel format is something I'd be very interested in doing. If we get the people together for doing it, there's really no reason not to. People could choose to read it either in its original script form, or as the novelized version. Or, if they chose to, they can read both versions.
                    Cool! By the way, I wasn't trying to cause trouble with my comment in the other thread. I was just expressing why I don't read Horizon. I didn't mean to cause a row or make anyone upset. Sorry if I did.

Comment

Cool! By the way, I wasn't trying to cause trouble with my comment in the other thread. I was just expressing why I don't read Horizon. I didn't mean to cause a row or make anyone upset. Sorry if I did.
                      No problem at all. I definitely wasn't upset by that.

Like I said, I know a lot of people tend to not read it because it's in script form. It would be great if we could get it to a point where we'd have both versions (script and the novelization of it) of what's really the same episode.
                      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Yeah and like I've said, I don't mind doing it if enough people want it. Since my time in mods I've written a script from a novel and vise-versa, so I know my way around the approach.

All I really care about is, if I do novelise the scripts, will anybody read them

Comment

Well I'll put it simply. If Horizon was a prose based series, I wouldn't read it. They take a helluva lot more time to read than a script and like Alex, I'm an aspiring screenwriter so I enjoy reading these series. I read plenty of script based series and enjoy them.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Well, you could continue to release them as scripts normally, and then as you have time begin converting them to prose. That way you get the best of both worlds. The people who prefer the novelized format would have to wait longer, but I think that would be acceptable.

Comment

The idea behind script based virtual series is usually to give the writers practise for actually becoming screen writers. What use would a prose series be for that? If you really want a prose series, read the pilot yourself and re-write it into prose.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X