Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Horizon, is it worth reading it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Horizon, is it worth reading it?

Well is it? What are fans real thoughts on it?
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

I know because I'm on the team that you may consider it biased for me to comment here, but I just want to say something.

Like SG1 and Atlantis, a lot of time and effort has been spent writing Stargate: Horizon. If fans do reply to this thread, bear in mind that nobody's opinion will compare to your decision to read the episodes, because like the other shows we, too, have had a mixture of stories that people love and hate.

No show would complete without this balance. Despite the fact I am on the team as a 3D Artist I haven't read them all, but I have enjoyed the majority of what has been written...

Our show is not like a DVD you are looking to gain criticism from before you buy it. Everybody will have a different opinion, and they may not enjoy be for the same reasons as you do. My best suggestion is simply to read a few episodes and see what you think about the show yourself.
    Last edited by Tiletron; 08 July 2006, 09:39 AM.
    "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
    ==============================================================
    Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
    Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

Just to add a small bit to that, Alex has stated several times he'd love to rewrite the pilot episode, so it isn't the best example. Most people cite the Enoly trilogy as Horizon's strong point in the first season.
      This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

I've tried several times to sit down and read it, put the whole "script" thing is so jarring and clumsy. I wish it was written in a normal, novel style. I would definitely read it, then.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I've found that when unfamiliar with the script style, it can indeed be difficult to follow. While it took me a while to get through the pilot and understand all the formatting to follow it, I've come to a point when I can breeze through a script page like the page of a book. It really is something that must be done constantly to get used to it.
          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
          Stargate Destiny, Fan
          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
            I've found that when unfamiliar with the script style, it can indeed be difficult to follow. While it took me a while to get through the pilot and understand all the formatting to follow it, I've come to a point when I can breeze through a script page like the page of a book. It really is something that must be done constantly to get used to it.
            Why was such an unconventional format chosen? Wouldn't it be more logical to write in a manner that new readers wouldn't have to "get used to?"

Comment

Well, I wasn't around for the conception of Horizon, but I'm assuming its because several other VSs have been done like this in the past. Of course, this alone might not merit the selection of such a format, I do think Alex simply wanted to make it as close to a television show as possible.

To be honest, one would have to ask Alex himself, and I'm sure he'll be able to shed more light on the format when he views this thread.
              Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
              Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
              Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
              Stargate Destiny, Fan
              Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

The episodes were written the way they were so that the studio in Vancouver would know how to properly outline the production of the show, if they ever decided to take it on.

I have, however, offered to rewrite episode-scripts into a "novelised" format because I some experience in it. Alex was ok with the idea, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
                "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
                Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
                Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiletron
                  The episodes were written the way they were so that the studio in Vancouver would know how to properly outline the production of the show, if they ever decided to take it on.
                  Don't take this the wrong way, but don't you think that the professionals at Bridge Studios already know how to properly outline the production of television shows? They have been at it for a while.
                  I have, however, offered to rewrite episode-scripts into a "novelised" format because I some experience in it. Alex was ok with the idea, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
                  I think novelized versions of the episodes would definitely expand your fanbase...maybe even as much as double it. I know I'm not the only one who declines to read Horizon because of the script format.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    Don't take this the wrong way, but don't you think that the professionals at Bridge Studios already know how to properly outline the production of television shows? They have been at it for a while.
                    All I'm saying is the reason it was done was probably because they do it. It's a lot quicker than, instead, sifting through 300-400 pages of a novel just to get where the episode is at. As for people not reading the episodes because they are in script-form, I feel a little upset by that -- given the amount of people who read the show anyway, Horizon is not going to suck no matter what format it's in

Comment

Okay, a few things about scripts. I've tried to read VS that are written as novels, but when push comes to shove they suck. I don't know. The only good VS's I've read are in script form. Now I know that there are good fan fics out there in novel form, but if you want to do a VS you're going to have to do it in script format. Why? Because it just makes more sense. If you want it to be like a TV show then the easyist way is to write it like one. Act breaks though they could be considered chapters really only work in script. If anyone is interested in scripts as good as Horizon check out this site.

http://www.mzp-tv.co.uk/

It has some of the best. Also if you want an example of a novel VS here you go.

http://www.thewatcherscouncil.net/

It well isn't that good. Anyways, just my thoughts like them or hate them.
                      Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

As for people not reading the episodes because they are in script-form, I feel a little upset by that -- given the amount of people who read the show anyway, Horizon is not going to suck no matter what format it's in
                        I never said it "sucked" or would "suck less" if it was in novel form, I was just saying that people (like myself) find it difficult to enjoy reading script-formatted material. Horizon "sucking" or not would be irrelevant because some people do not bother reading it in the first place due to the scripts.

Comment

Do I think Horizon is worth reading?

First thing that comes to mind is my belief that Horizon is under rated. I have no idea how I decide whether something is over or under rated. I think Robin Williams is over rated, not completely sure why.

Anyway... I think the format fits a virtual series like Horizon very well. I think the script format is just as easy to read as a novel format-type-thing.

While I admit, there are some bad-like qualities of Horizon which I would consider... annoying... I think the good qualities make it worth reading. Yup.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

To quickly address the question of why it was chosen to be written in script format, that's quite simple. It's because I consider myself a screenwriter. I know, I know, so far none of my work can actually be seen on screen. However, I am working on that. I've said it before, but not many people realize that while Horizon is a fun project for me (one for which I expect to absolutely never get paid for), I've also got a couple of other things which, once they're ready, I'll be registering with the writer's guild to ensure no one will be able to come up with something too similar before I get a chance to bring them to life. So just wait for those.

The closest thing I've ever written to prose is a movie treatment (still working on it actually) and some short stories a long time ago. Not that I don't like doing it, but it's just always been screenwriting that had interested me most. Not just the writing, but the whole process of bringing it to the screen, seeing it come to life, etc. By the time I first started writing what would later become Horizon (all the way back in summer of 2004), I had no idea that something like virtual series actually existed. So it had nothing to do with that at all actually. Much rather the fact that there are A LOT of script based virtual series had influenced me greatly when I decided to actually start releasing it as a series.

So that's really the main reason. In addition, what people who don't read the series just wouldn't know is that IT IS just like a television show, when it comes to storylines, characters, the balance of stand alone episodes and arc episodes, etc. Also, the show's mythology is quite a complex one actually, and we'll see that growing and evolving more and more in Season Three. So in order for us to write all that in novel format, we could never do 24 episodes a year, simply because it would take much longer to write them. The way it it's now it's already a non-stop process to get all of them done. And I think a lot of people wouldn't have the time to read them on a weekly basis.

However, I do understand why some people might be hessitant to read it in script format. And I completely agree that there'd be more people reading it if it were available in novel format. At the same time I have to say the way the scripts are written now (not talking about the early episodes of Season One) makes it much easier for a general audience to read them. If you've ever seen a script for SG-1 or Atlantis, you'll realize that Stargate scripts generally don't have too many details in them when it comes to say the actor's direction. There's a lot of room for each of the actors to bring in their own interpretations of the scenes, which just shows how great the actors are at what they do.

In our case, we include much more on how each of the characters feels, how exactly they'll say a particular line. Believe it or not, there have been scenes in episodes that I've read, and I felt emotionally touched by them. And I'm the guy who's involved with writing the things, so how must someone feel who's reading it for the first time?

For Season Three I feel that we've, again, improved the format of the scripts. For one, I've made some adjustments to formatting template we've been using, and that's brought down the length of the scripts greatly. They used to seem much longer than they are, since Script Smart was kind of wasting a lot of space on the pages. I've already finished the first draft of the season premiere which is closer to how other screenwriting softwares will make it look, and currently it's 58 pages long (note that we've had episodes run 91 pages in the past). The average length for one hour television scripts being 60 pages; some shows will have shorter scripts, again depending on how they're written.

Anyway, those were the reasons for why I honestly never considered writing it any differently than as scripts. I'd actually love to write a book one of these days, but first and foremost I'll always consider myself a screenwriter.

I do like the idea of also releasing episodes in novel format a lot, however. Perhaps we should seriously think about getting some writers on board for doing just that. I definitely wouldn't have the time for it, and I think to have only one person novelize 24 one hour teleplays a year would be a little too much for that person to handle on their own. So maybe we should think about getting a secondary staff together, a group of writers whose job would be to novelize each of the episodes. Pretty much like some television episodes or a lot of feature films are novelized. The question is, would we find enough people interested in doing that? I think it's definitely worth a try.
                            Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I just read the teaser and the first act of Awakening. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. At first I was put off by the long script, and I thought it would be a complete waste of time reading something that isn't even canon. Once you get into it it's ok.

If I had to criticize it, it did take me half an hour just to read the teaser and the first act, and it did give me a headache from staring at the computer screen for to long. The lines "5 CHRISTINE AND MOORE 5
                              stepping in a LIFT which leads to the surface. As the lift heads upward, we
                              CUT BACK TO:
                              6 MOORE 6
                              standing at the examination table."
                              He’s deep into reading his scanner; his face is filled with joy."
                              Moore is in a lift with Christine and then he is a lab, what am I missing?

I'm gonna try and squeeze in one or two acts a day from now on, it will take ages but....

Major Tyler, give the scripts a chance you will be pleasantly surprised

ETA: On another note I did find the script format easy to follow once I read a few pages.
                              Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 09 July 2006, 01:16 AM.
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                              X