This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Weir Thread

It seems that an Anti Weir Thread is needed. I feel the discussion thread is likely to throw me out if I say what I think about the character. The pro thread will only allow positive posts.

So can I lay down the rules that this is only for those Atlantis fans who dont like the character? However, I think we need to say why.

Remember only those who dont like the character and who say why are welcome.

I'll start the thread off by saying that Weir appears to me to be out of her depth in Atlantis. She has never been in charge of a military operation which is what Atlantis mainly is. This shows and I feel embarrassed when there is a military operation as in Seige 2.

What do you think?
    Last edited by anulus; 05 July 2006, 08:15 PM.

I know you are out there. That is, the fans who love the show but dont like the character of Weir.

I loved all the characters in Stargate SG1 even the baddies like Baal. However, from the beginning Weir's character annoyed me no end! Like a fish out of water.

Comment

Yeah, she bugs me too but not so much I need to sound off about it
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by anulus
        She has never been in charge of a military operation which is what Atlantis mainly is.
        You can dislike Weir all you want, I don't care.

But Atlantis is not a military operation, even though some military force wouldn't go amiss when the Wraith are knocking on Atlantean doors. Atlantis is a civilian operation with military support.
        Just had to get that off my chest.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It is odd though that Atlantis was not a military operation particulary since SG1 is a military operation. I can understand it starting out as a civilian operation but as soon the Wraith became such a threat I'm surprised it wasn't turned into a military operation and Elizabeth left in charge of the expedition side of it.

Does ELizabeth have any military background or experience. Was she correct in ordering Sheppard not to interfere in Hot Zone or should that have been a military operation or at least have them both work together. It would have been interesting to see how things had ended if Sheppard had not disobyed her orders, though it was him who saved the day in the end.

I would prefer to see Elizabeth in charge of the expedition side of things and have Sheppard or Caldwell in charge of all things military. Elizabeth just doesn't seem to have enough experience to be dealing with such a huge threat as the Wraith.
          Last edited by bluealien; 08 July 2006, 03:59 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
            It is odd though that Atlantis was not a military operation particulary since SG1 is a military operation. I can understand it starting out as a civilian operation but as soon the Wraith became such a threat I'm surprised it wasn't turned into a military operation and Elizabeth left in charge of the exhibition side of it.

Does ELizabeth have any military background or experience. Was she correct in ordering Sheppard not to interfere in Hot Zone or should that have been a military operation or at least have them both work together. It would have been interesting to see how things had ended if Sheppard had not disobyed her orders, though it was him who saved the day in the end.

I would prefer to see Elizabeth in charge of the Exhibition side of things and have Sheppard or Caldwell in charge of all things military. Elizabeth just doesn't seem to have enough experience to be dealing with such a huge threat as the Wraith.
            I agree. It started out as a scientific expedition but as soon as the Wraith came into it, it became a military operation.

Weir doesnt have any experience in a military situation. I think the producers and writers made a big mistake in putting her in charge. To me she looks like a fish out of water.

Comment

I agree. It started out as a scientific expedition but as soon as the Wraith came into it, it became a military operation.

Weir doesnt have any experience in a military situation. I think the producers and writers made a big mistake in putting her in charge. To me she looks like a fish out of water.
              You got that right. I don't see how this is even an expedition anymore. The Wraith basically rule the Pegasus galaxy and we're always on the defensive.

Comment

No, but she is a diplomat who has been involved in peace-talks probably, since the Balkan was mentioned in Before I Sleep.

And I think Sheppard is head of the military contingent, who just has to report back to Weir, since she's the lead of the expedition, and the SGC.

And I think the reason for it not being a military operation is the International Committee having a say in a few things related to Atlantis. Or because the whole trip started in Antarctica which has a rule that there can be no military operations on its continent, only scientific ones. Though I'm not entirely certain about that last one, and I guess they might have bent it a little in the Stargate-verse.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                  No, but she is a diplomat who has been involved in peace-talks probably, since the Balkan was mentioned in Before I Sleep.

I know she negotiated at a high level but it's impossible to think that she could negotiate with the Wraith or other enemies. Yes, she got the Abombs but anyone could have done that at that point.

And I think Sheppard is head of the military contingent, who just has to report back to Weir, since she's the lead of the expedition, and the SGC.

The military side of it is the main thing now. The SGC had scientists but they were secondary to the military.

And I think the reason for it not being a military operation is the International Committee having a say in a few things related to Atlantis. Or because the whole trip started in Antarctica which has a rule that there can be no military operations on its continent, only scientific ones. Though I'm not entirely certain about that last one, and I guess they might have bent it a little in the Stargate-verse.
                  Yes I know about the International Committee. Who did they have to ask about going to Atlantis in Rising? General O'Neill. He also gave her permission to leave earth. It should have been under the military from the beginning so that the person in charge would understand the decisions that had to be made.

Anyway it's more about the character. I know the producers and writers were keen to have a woman but her character isnt right and annoys me no end. I know a lot of people dont like the character as I was in another forum. They just have to find this thread.
                  Last edited by anulus; 07 July 2006, 08:08 PM. Reason: adding something

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
                    It is odd though that Atlantis was not a military operation particulary since SG1 is a military operation. I can understand it starting out as a civilian operation but as soon the Wraith became such a threat I'm surprised it wasn't turned into a military operation and Elizabeth left in charge of the exhibition side of it.

<snip>

I would prefer to see Elizabeth in charge of the Exhibition side of things and have Sheppard or Caldwell in charge of all things military.
                    People dislike Weir because they think she's an exhibitionist?

a time to mourn

Comment

Why do people hate weir

So she makes a few bad calls... its arrogant to asume anyone else could do better is it not? Thats would be very intersting TV a perfect character who makes perfect deccisions and is perfect for the leadership role? WOW genius How atlantis would sweep the emmys

She dosn't need military experience she already has enough military input around her. Letting caldwell and his jarheads lose in the pegasus galaxy would not be a good idea Weirs leadership serevs as a check on the military getting out of control...

Comment

I don't get the point about how her negotiation expertise isn't good enough. No one in the world is qualified to negotiate with aliens, because no one's done it before. Except maybe Daniel, but he's busy. Weir handled the goa'uld, and Kinsey, which is a feat in and of it's own. They chose someone with diplomatic experience, which is the best they could do. I would like to see her actually negotiating with someone. The SGC has diplomatic teams, and so should Atlantis. Elizabeth really needs to stop sending Sheppard in to do it, because he's terrible at it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Zoidberg
                          Why do people hate weir

So she makes a few bad calls... its arrogant to asume anyone else could do better is it not? Thats would be very intersting TV a perfect character who makes perfect deccisions and is perfect for the leadership role? WOW genius How atlantis would sweep the emmys

She dosn't need military experience she already has enough military input around her. Letting caldwell and his jarheads lose in the pegasus galaxy would not be a good idea Weirs leadership serevs as a check on the military getting out of control...
                          It's not the mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. 20/20 hindsight would be great. It's more her coldness. Hammond was a leader who made some mistakes (although I dont remember many) but he was a warm character who developed.

To me, Weir is cold and unlikeable. I always loved the characters in SG1 even if they were baddies like Baal or Anubis. Weir seems unapproachable.

When I see "shippers" putting Weir and Sheppard together, it's laughable. One is a warm, likable character: the other devoid of personality who spoils Atlantis. I hope they either improve her character or send her home to Simon.

Comment

It's not the mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. 20/20 hindsight would be great. It's more her coldness. Hammond was a leader who made some mistakes (although I dont remember many) but he was a warm character who developed.

To me, Weir is cold and unlikeable. I always loved the characters in SG1 even if they were baddies like Baal or Anubis. Weir seems unapproachable.

When I see "shippers" putting Weir and Sheppard together, it's laughable. One is a warm, likable character: the other devoid of personality who spoils Atlantis. I hope they either improve her character or send her home to Simon.
                            Coldness? Unlikeable? Elizabeth maintains a professional distance, while still remaining warm and open. A leader can't be everybody's best friend, the line needs to be drawn between subordinate and superior. Especially considering that there is a large military contingent. Yet she has their respect, admiration and to an extent, yes, their friendship.

You mentioned Sheppard. With the exception of the members of his team and Weir, he isn't particularly open (even with any of them, sometimes) and he is not always likeable. He maintains a professional distance too and it takes a while for him to warm to somebody, possibly even longer than Weir.

I really should ignore the whole ship comment, but you put it there, so.... I'm not fanatical about Sheppard/Weir, I do ship other pairings with those two a little more strongly, but I dislike bashing. A lot. If you don't like Sheppard/Weir, say so. You're entitled to your opinion. But saying that shipping a ship is 'laughable' is bashing. Especially on such ridiculous grounds. Even if you go by your theory of Sheppard and Weir being polar opposites, it's more than possible to imagine them being hitched. I mean, go look at the countless romances based on two people who are opposites. And you don't need a proper reason to ship anything. I mean, like, Ba'al/Kavenaugh is totally hot. ^.^

Originally posted by RoryJ
                            The SGC has diplomatic teams, and so should Atlantis. Elizabeth really needs to stop sending Sheppard in to do it, because he's terrible at it.
                            Word. Unfortunately, Rodney's just as bad, so they need some of the underlings, methinks.

Visit the stargate_pad LJ community; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom.

Comment

I believe it started as a civilian operation because I don't think anyone has claim to Antartica so it might have caused international problems if the military was taking up residence there. I might be wrong though.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X