Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there no "real" relationships on either show?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there no "real" relationships on either show?

I'm not trying to bring anyone down by pointing out this fact, rather, I wish the show did in fact have some real relationships. Especially Atlantis. We have Sheppard/Weir ships, we have Sheppard/Teyla ships, and we keep watching the show and coming up with reasons why he or she likes this or that other person more.

But when are we *really* going to see a ship? Maybe its just me, but Teyla is not military and there would be nothing stopping Sheppard from asking her out on a date. Why must we always deal with the "guys and girls are good friends and feel stuff for each other but never go past that" routine?

Let's get a real relationship going in Atlantis! Heck, even in Stargate - and no, Pete What's-his-name doesn't count, Carter was just using the guy for sex and we all know it.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    Maybe its just me, but Teyla is not military and there would be nothing stopping Sheppard from asking her out on a date. Why must we always deal with the "guys and girls are good friends and feel stuff for each other but never go past that" routine?
    For the record, as long as Teyla remains under Sheppard's command, they are subject to the same fraternization regulations that kept Jack and Sam apart on SG-1.

As for why there aren't actual relationships between the leads, that's not TPTB's intent with the show. It's an action/adventure, deepening relationships are considered outside the scope of what they want to do. They won't move far, or fast, in devloping a relationship between any of the leads.

I do hope they might do something in Atlantis, eventually, but we've only seen two seasons thus far. The show is still getting going! Patience, young grasshopper.

a time to mourn

Comment

How about Beckett and Cadman? And Rodney's one time date with Dr. Katie Brown, the botanist? Don't they count?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The reason there are no real relationships is because TPTB want to keep you tuning in for as long as possible to see if they get it on/snog/lingering looks and the like because they know that once the characters 'Do it' and the UST isn't there anymore people lose interest in the show, Moonlighting comes to mind as does X Files. Sometimes it works, Sheridan/Delenn from B5 Tom and B'Elana from Voyager for example

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
          The reason there are no real relationships is because TPTB want to keep you tuning in for as long as possible to see if they get it on/snog/lingering looks and the like because they know that once the characters 'Do it' and the UST isn't there anymore people lose interest in the show, Moonlighting comes to mind as does X Files. Sometimes it works, Sheridan/Delenn from B5 Tom and B'Elana from Voyager for example
          The difference there being that there was no real UST in either of those cases (that I felt/noticed). The writers chose, for whatever reason, to introduce/include the relationships in the show etc but there was never any long build up of UST and people tuning in to the show for the chemistry between those characters. In both of those examples they were also part of a more ensemble cast... whereas in SG1 and SGA the core cast can be said to consist really of only 4-5 characters and the UST that developes/is perceived/played upon etc is more akin to that between a leading man and leading lady as in your other examples Moonlighting and X-Files.

The general rule of thumb in TV does seem to be that once your leading characters get it together, the spark and the interest goes from the series and it loses viewers.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
            The general rule of thumb in TV does seem to be that once your leading characters get it together, the spark and the interest goes from the series and it loses viewers.
            Didn't I just say that?

Comment

Didn't I just say that?
              Yes, and I was agreeing with you. And adding my thoughts on the matter. That okay with you?
              sigpic

Comment

Oh right, the way it was worded made it sound like you were making the point again

Comment

Oh right, the way it was worded made it sound like you were making the point again
                  No, I was agreeing that that does seem to be the case in TV. Your examples of Moonlighting and The X-Files were classic case in point. The rest of my post was discussing the other TV relationships you mentioned and how I felt they differed from the usual "get them together and kill the show" scenario.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sometimes it works, Sheridan/Delenn from B5 Tom and B'Elana from Voyager for example
                    I didn't really buy Sheridan and Delenn, I thought it was kind of creepy. As for Tom and B'Elanna, they had to have a row and then get back together almost every episode, didn't they? Mind you, the creepiest had to be Chakotay and Seven. Ugh! The only Star Trek show that had real relationships was DS9 and there were plenty on there. That is because the PTB of that show always intended it to be character-based. Some of the relationships were between 2 main characters and some between a main character and a minor one. What I wouldn't like to see is really bad relationship stuff written in to SGA or SG1 like the Trip / T'Pol one, for example. But to get DS9-type ones in they would have to sacrifice some of the action, wouldn't they? Or add a few minutes to the length of each episode! If you remember DS9, there were episodes with very little plot at all, and I can just hear the complaints if SG1 or SGA went like that!
                    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                      No, I was agreeing that that does seem to be the case in TV. Your examples of Moonlighting and The X-Files were classic case in point. The rest of my post was discussing the other TV relationships you mentioned and how I felt they differed from the usual "get them together and kill the show" scenario.
                      True I suppose, they weren't major players so I guess anything went. Back to B5 I did like what they did to Marcus and Susan, that was quite brave for it's time

Comment

Well I think it sucks... sigh. I know I could write in a relationship and actually keep the sparks going.

Comment

I don't know why writers find it so difficult to write a relationship and make it interesting. It doesn't have to take up much of the show at all. Something that could be going on in the background.

I didn't like the Sheridan and Delenn relationship at all. Thats the problem with putting two main characters together because if you don't think they make couple material it can be really irritating.
                          sigpic

Comment

I would also love a well-written, subtle relationship in SG-1 and/or SGA. I realize the problems with Sam/JAck (although IMO it could be done really well with RDA away and Sam doing her thing, and we just get hints, etc). In SGA I'm all for the Beckett/Cadman ship! At least the supporting characters should get some, so as not to make the show completely sterile. Some normal sexuality does make the show more believable. You can do that in PG too.

Banner by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                              Let's get a real relationship going in Atlantis! Heck, even in Stargate - and no, Pete What's-his-name doesn't count, Carter was just using the guy for sex and we all know it.
                              Well, Beckett and Cadman are dating. I think. That's a start.

But yeah, I know what you mean. But this isn't the Whedonverse, I don't know if the writers could do a decent relationship to save their lives.

So perhaps we should be grateful they don't even try.
                              ----
                              There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
                              serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X