This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumpers Hull Question (Spoilers)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i was wondering why in Season 1's 38 Minutes when they are told to get into the rear compartment its said that it would leek atmosphere like a siv. Yet in Grace under Pressure it was hundreds off feet below the maximum Dive Depth of a Nuclear Submarine and its only after the colision on the Ocean floor that water begins to leak through "Micro- Fracture".

any thoughts?

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

search next time.

but in space which is vacuum hulls don't have to be made to withstand outside pressure but inside pressure. so air wants to go out and underwater, water wants to come in
    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Yeah they'd be designed for outside forces acting on the hull not inside ones.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
      Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
      the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
      Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

well that's a shorter version lol
        A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Wouldn't it be designed for both? You still have air pressure acting on the hull from the inside when you're in the vacuum of space.

Comment

The bulkhead doors, as tight as it may close, will always have gaps. This is because the doors are two separate pieces of metal.. yo can never get it to fit perfectly. However, it could be that these gaps are small enough to leak atmosphere (O2), but may trap the water that attempts to get in (H2O).

Or it could be the way the ship was oriented? If you orient a cup that has air a certain way, the air bubbles wouldn't be able to escape.

Comment

I already apoligised for not searching, takes too long. The ship wasnt desingned as a submarine, it was desinged as a space craft. Logic stands that the compartment should beable to be seperatly Pressurised? Just my own thoughts but it makes sense i think

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

It takes extra power to run one life support device per section. besides, on the scale of a spaceship, a shuttle like the puddlejumper is one BIG compartment. The idea with compartment systems is that you can lose one, but the rest of the ship'll stay intact. Each compartment is a small part of the rest of the ship, so that if you lose one, you don't critically lose the other parts of the ship.

With a shuttle, the systems components (stardrive, life support sensors, weapons) are scattered all along the ship. If one part takes damage, it's likely the rest of the ship is immediately affected and hindered.

Comment

I follow the logic of the original question though but i have a theory about it.

in space you would suffer from explosive decompression, ie the air inside going out, that would force the bulkhead doors apart if the forces being exherted were strong enough, and in a vacum im sure they would be.

however, underwater, the pressure of the air trying to escape and the water trying to get in kind of counter each other to form a seal...air tight at that.

thats becuase the forces are focused at the gaps on the bulkhead doors so the forces are more or less equal (i think its been a while since i did any physics lol)

when the micro fissures appeared it altered the pressure inside, there was now more areas for the air to escape and the water to get in, the forces were un-equal, hence McKay creating a positive pressure environment to try and counter it.

I think that there should have been some kind of basic draft excluding installed by the lantians, and when i see one i will show them which isle in B&Q it is stored in so they know for the future....well the past...its the futsing with the timeline business again lol
                  Good Evening, Good Nite, GOOD BEER!

Comment

Working...
                  X