Stargate Design Coalition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Design Coalition

Alex doesn't know about this, but I thought I'd put this out there to everyone working on the two main fan-fiction shows that GateWorld talks about the most, so people could voice their opinions as a community. I hope he doesn't mind some surprises

Ever since Dr Hurst on these forums posted his interest for Horizon, both his desire to become a writer for our show and starting Stargate: Andromeda has made me wonder a little bit about the future of the franchise in general. As it stands at the moment, MGM have stated that they plan to do another movie and a third series, although they haven't said what these will be. Cooper also has said that the Ori are here to stay for a while (maybe the same amount of time the Goa'uld did). Then there's this other subject with someone from Destiny wanting to make a crossover episode from Horizon...

All of this has made me think about something for the last couple of days, namely the fact about the order of how our shows fit together. Originally, if MGM asked about doing another show, we were probably the first in line. Since DR Hurst announced doing SG:Andromeda, however; one set a little way into the present timeline for SG1, that order has changed to this:
    • Stargate: SG1 (prime series)
    • Stargate: Atlantis (concurrent series)
    • Stargate: Andromeda (concurrent/crossover series)
    • Stargate: Horizon (crossover series [SG:Andromeda])
    • Stargate: Destiny (crossover series [SG:Horizon])

Now there are three things that Stargate: Andromeda, Horizon and Destiny have in common. The first is they all seem to operate around GateWorld, which means the teams of the projects can all discuss the state of how Stargate should continue, and are willing to share and create ideas together which all can agree on. The second is they all operate in a specific order of the Stargate timeline, with very little concurrency (one show ultimately leads to another, continuing the franchise)...

But here's the reason that brings us together the most: a lot of the technology and ideas that make up Stargate we all use for our shows are the same, such as the Prometheus and Daedalus-class Cruisers, or our interest in the Ancients.

What I'm suggesting may not be possible, but I'll just say it and see what everyone thinks. Because we all come to these forums to talk to our fans, our teams pretty much know each other well and like to comment on each shows' respective episodes. This means that despite the fact our shows are separate, we have a vested interest in making Stargate the best show on television together, just like MGM and Wright/Cooper do. What this also means, however, is that some of what we create for our own projects end up in another team's show at some point, to strengthen the fact we are all operating from the same resource for our fiction.

I propose we form a coalition that operates here, off GateWorld, between the three teams. While we would still all run our own shows, we would function as one community for Stargate; sharing ideas, artwork and content that is used in more than one of the series. Artists like myself use most of the general productivity suites (MAYA, Lightwave, 3dsmax), so much of what we do can be discussed together at a community level... probably the same would apply for other departments. An example of this would be the F-302A Interceptor I am making -- although this ship is going to be part of the Valiant's compliment, it was thought up primarily because of how inferior the current chassis for an F-302 is against Ori technology, and was meant to replace that design as the SGC's primary small/mid-range fighter.

Some of us even create our environments as individual levels in game-engines, like a testbed; just to better show how it might look if it were a real production!

A place could be set up on the GW servers which bears graphical content for all three shows, and acts as a community site for "final-releases" of artwork featured in each project. At the same time, the three sites for the fan-fiction shows could either choose to be hosted on here as well, or stay where they currently are and remain independent of each other for overall writing of the episodes...

If we all work together, we each stand a better chance of MGM looking to us in the future for expansion of the franchise commercially. In the meantime, however, we can all just work as a unified group of hobbyists, making stuff for what we enjoy.
    "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
    ==============================================================
    Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
    Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

I geuss Genesis just doesnt exist here at all then.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
      I geuss Genesis just doesnt exist here at all then.
      Well I've never read SG:Genesis, but this is entirely the point I'm trying to make.

All the major fan-fiction shows of Stargate come here to discuss the SG1 and Atlantis (as well as our own stuff), so awareness of how our shows interconnect and how we share and create new ideas should have a place where we can all get together and present them in a co-operative fashion. That would be the overall goal of the Design Coalition.
      "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
      Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
      Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

Im not against this coalition, i think it a briliant idea.
        But I am actually really insulted at the total absense of recognition. If the purpose of this coalition is to create unity between all the series then not including Genesis from the outstart is kind of a contradicting the purpose of the coalition.
        Im all for co-operation, ive been trying to sort something like this out with alex and EAG out before, Ive surgested a joint feature between all the series. Im still shocked at how Stargate: Genesis was totally ignored!
        When you say all the series, including the ones that are not even airing, then you really should start with all of the current ones.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        11000! green me

Comment

I apologise if I offended you, or anyone else for that matter. As I said I haven't taken my views about this to Alex, so this is really something I decided to open a thread for earlier today. On the positive side, I'm happy that I'm not the only one who had thought about trying to create such an initiative.

I'm not trying to upset anyone or leave out any fan-based Stargate show.

All I want is to help the franchise, doing what I do as an artist. I just think that we might get a lot more done if we're all doing it together instead of in our own little groups, completely cut off from each other.

Comment

Ok appology accepted.
            Your not the only one who has these feelings, Genesis, Destiny, Andromeda and Horizon are actually quite connected, but not officially. Genesis has horizon's wineblood proofread for us; Captainpash is a staff writer on both Destiny and Genesis; I was involved with the initial ideas part of Andromeda. So we all have connections between each other.
            That said i think you are totally right, We are all simliar in many ways, were all script based, were all concerned with the ancients, and we could potentially all lead on to one another.
            Plus we dont actually have anywhere that all series come together, Well actually we have SGU which is a VS hub but the forum is very underused and i think if SGVS's are going to become part of mainstream fanfiction then GW is the only place it can be done adequitly. But the better question is will Darren be up for it?
            sigpic
            11000! green me

Comment

Simply? No, he wouldnt. He's made it clear Horizon is the only VS hes gonna support.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

A Subforum within Horizon's subforum anyone?
                He may only support Horizon, but if Horizon wants to support a GW VS coalition then a subforum may not be out of the question.
                sigpic
                11000! green me

Comment

I've spoken a little bit to Alex about this over the past week and some things still need to be discussed.

I won't be doing anything more on it, though, until after I have finished some artwork I'm doing for the project.

Comment

Just looking at this. You know Destiny more or less made the 302 redundant by introducing the F-308 lol. Of course the Daedalus and older ships are still built with the 302 in mind so yeah don't mind me.

Comment

Yeah, well

All of Stargate is fiction anyway, so it's fun to create something that exists in a timeline that is changing, as Humanity's exploration of the Ancients' legacy continues.

Comment

I think this is a great idea, and if we can all agree on something like this to actually happen, we could have a group of Virtual Series that will be remebered for a long time (minus Horizon, which probably already has that status in many ). This was one thing I had thought about, that elements of the newer technology shown in the VS set in a few years time (Horizon, Genesis, Destiny etc) could be mentioned in VS set earlier.

Comment

At the very least, even if Darren isn't keen on the idea of hosting a site for it here on GateWorld's servers, I know someone I might be able to ask about it...

I make no promises, though
                          Last edited by Tiletron; 07 July 2006, 11:02 AM.

Comment

You know..we kinda have SGU..why don't you talk to Val, see if ya can do something like this on there.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

People keep forgetting about SGU. We're still around.
                              Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Working...
                              X