PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Design Coalition

Tiletron
June 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Alex doesn't know about this, but I thought I'd put this out there to everyone working on the two main fan-fiction shows that GateWorld talks about the most, so people could voice their opinions as a community. I hope he doesn't mind some surprises :)

Ever since Dr Hurst on these forums posted his interest for Horizon, both his desire to become a writer for our show and starting Stargate: Andromeda has made me wonder a little bit about the future of the franchise in general. As it stands at the moment, MGM have stated that they plan to do another movie and a third series, although they haven't said what these will be. Cooper also has said that the Ori are here to stay for a while (maybe the same amount of time the Goa'uld did). Then there's this other subject with someone from Destiny wanting to make a crossover episode from Horizon...

All of this has made me think about something for the last couple of days, namely the fact about the order of how our shows fit together. Originally, if MGM asked about doing another show, we were probably the first in line. Since DR Hurst announced doing SG:Andromeda, however; one set a little way into the present timeline for SG1, that order has changed to this:

Stargate: SG1 (prime series)
Stargate: Atlantis (concurrent series)
Stargate: Andromeda (concurrent/crossover series)
Stargate: Horizon (crossover series [SG:Andromeda])
Stargate: Destiny (crossover series [SG:Horizon])

Now there are three things that Stargate: Andromeda, Horizon and Destiny have in common. The first is they all seem to operate around GateWorld, which means the teams of the projects can all discuss the state of how Stargate should continue, and are willing to share and create ideas together which all can agree on. The second is they all operate in a specific order of the Stargate timeline, with very little concurrency (one show ultimately leads to another, continuing the franchise)...

But here's the reason that brings us together the most: a lot of the technology and ideas that make up Stargate we all use for our shows are the same, such as the Prometheus and Daedalus-class Cruisers, or our interest in the Ancients.

What I'm suggesting may not be possible, but I'll just say it and see what everyone thinks. Because we all come to these forums to talk to our fans, our teams pretty much know each other well and like to comment on each shows' respective episodes. This means that despite the fact our shows are separate, we have a vested interest in making Stargate the best show on television together, just like MGM and Wright/Cooper do. What this also means, however, is that some of what we create for our own projects end up in another team's show at some point, to strengthen the fact we are all operating from the same resource for our fiction.

I propose we form a coalition that operates here, off GateWorld, between the three teams. While we would still all run our own shows, we would function as one community for Stargate; sharing ideas, artwork and content that is used in more than one of the series. Artists like myself use most of the general productivity suites (MAYA, Lightwave, 3dsmax), so much of what we do can be discussed together at a community level... probably the same would apply for other departments. An example of this would be the F-302A Interceptor I am making -- although this ship is going to be part of the Valiant's compliment, it was thought up primarily because of how inferior the current chassis for an F-302 is against Ori technology, and was meant to replace that design as the SGC's primary small/mid-range fighter.

Some of us even create our environments as individual levels in game-engines, like a testbed; just to better show how it might look if it were a real production!

A place could be set up on the GW servers which bears graphical content for all three shows, and acts as a community site for "final-releases" of artwork featured in each project. At the same time, the three sites for the fan-fiction shows could either choose to be hosted on here as well, or stay where they currently are and remain independent of each other for overall writing of the episodes...

If we all work together, we each stand a better chance of MGM looking to us in the future for expansion of the franchise commercially. In the meantime, however, we can all just work as a unified group of hobbyists, making stuff for what we enjoy.

immhotep
June 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I geuss Genesis just doesnt exist here at all then. :(

Tiletron
June 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I geuss Genesis just doesnt exist here at all then. :(

Well I've never read SG:Genesis, but this is entirely the point I'm trying to make.

All the major fan-fiction shows of Stargate come here to discuss the SG1 and Atlantis (as well as our own stuff), so awareness of how our shows interconnect and how we share and create new ideas should have a place where we can all get together and present them in a co-operative fashion. That would be the overall goal of the Design Coalition.

immhotep
June 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Im not against this coalition, i think it a briliant idea.
But I am actually really insulted at the total absense of recognition. If the purpose of this coalition is to create unity between all the series then not including Genesis from the outstart is kind of a contradicting the purpose of the coalition.
Im all for co-operation, ive been trying to sort something like this out with alex and EAG out before, Ive surgested a joint feature between all the series. Im still shocked at how Stargate: Genesis was totally ignored!
When you say all the series, including the ones that are not even airing, then you really should start with all of the current ones.

Tiletron
June 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I apologise if I offended you, or anyone else for that matter. As I said I haven't taken my views about this to Alex, so this is really something I decided to open a thread for earlier today. On the positive side, I'm happy that I'm not the only one who had thought about trying to create such an initiative.

I'm not trying to upset anyone or leave out any fan-based Stargate show.

All I want is to help the franchise, doing what I do as an artist. I just think that we might get a lot more done if we're all doing it together instead of in our own little groups, completely cut off from each other.

immhotep
June 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Ok appology accepted.
Your not the only one who has these feelings, Genesis, Destiny, Andromeda and Horizon are actually quite connected, but not officially. Genesis has horizon's wineblood proofread for us; Captainpash is a staff writer on both Destiny and Genesis; I was involved with the initial ideas part of Andromeda. So we all have connections between each other.
That said i think you are totally right, We are all simliar in many ways, were all script based, were all concerned with the ancients, and we could potentially all lead on to one another.
Plus we dont actually have anywhere that all series come together, Well actually we have SGU which is a VS hub but the forum is very underused and i think if SGVS's are going to become part of mainstream fanfiction then GW is the only place it can be done adequitly. But the better question is will Darren be up for it?

Elite Anubis Guard
June 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Simply? No, he wouldnt. He's made it clear Horizon is the only VS hes gonna support.

immhotep
June 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
A Subforum within Horizon's subforum anyone?
He may only support Horizon, but if Horizon wants to support a GW VS coalition then a subforum may not be out of the question.

Tiletron
July 5th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I've spoken a little bit to Alex about this over the past week and some things still need to be discussed.

I won't be doing anything more on it, though, until after I have finished some artwork I'm doing for the project.

Esquin
July 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Just looking at this. You know Destiny more or less made the 302 redundant by introducing the F-308 lol. Of course the Daedalus and older ships are still built with the 302 in mind so yeah don't mind me.

Tiletron
July 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, well :)

All of Stargate is fiction anyway, so it's fun to create something that exists in a timeline that is changing, as Humanity's exploration of the Ancients' legacy continues.

Dr Hurst
July 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I think this is a great idea, and if we can all agree on something like this to actually happen, we could have a group of Virtual Series that will be remebered for a long time (minus Horizon, which probably already has that status in many :) ). This was one thing I had thought about, that elements of the newer technology shown in the VS set in a few years time (Horizon, Genesis, Destiny etc) could be mentioned in VS set earlier.

Tiletron
July 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
At the very least, even if Darren isn't keen on the idea of hosting a site for it here on GateWorld's servers, I know someone I might be able to ask about it...

I make no promises, though

Elite Anubis Guard
July 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM
You know..we kinda have SGU..why don't you talk to Val, see if ya can do something like this on there.

captainpash
July 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM
People keep forgetting about SGU. We're still around.

Tiletron
July 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I didn't forget about SGU and appreciate the offer, though if we are going to do this and we can't do it on here, I think we will need a new forum for it and my friend's server also has a vBulletin system powering most of its site-functions.

His name is Hamma, and one of the sites he runs PlanetSide fans may know of as PlanetSide Universe (http://www.planetside-universe.com/).

================================
PSU is not only the largest, but the "most-requested" community site for Sony Online Entertainment's popular MMOFPS title.

I say most-requested because we had to close for a while, which prompted a screaming uproar from fans wanting us back because they didn't have a dedicated source of information for the game. When a large Art Team still existed for it, we were also responsible for the release of several podcasts between questions from the fans, and the company who develop and publish the game...
================================

Let me be clear about what I'm saying here before anyone makes a fuss. Should GateWorld decide against hosting a site for the Design Coalition, although we would have to host it somewhere else we will still, welcomingly, remain in full contact and WILL NOT become a competitor to them. They are a great site and I believe Horizon are already lucky for GW to agree to host our show. Because such a large community already exists, there is also no need to make another.

When I started this thread, my intention has never been to make enemies of anyone and I don't plan to start now.

If such a organised initiative such as this is possible, it will be used exclusively as a place for teams running fan-fiction series to come together for talk and the exchange and development of ideas. Everything else will either be run from their respective sites, or here on GateWorld.

Elite Anubis Guard
July 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
The reason I said we should go for SGU is simply because...the VS community can;t take the strain. Look at Horizon, it most likely wouldn't be seein the sort of activity it is because of GW (No offense, Alex). The community is simply reluctant to post, we shouldnt be making lots of boards. Chances are no-one would register to different places and sign up.

Val is a very talented web guy and we had been considering newer forums, you should at least talk to him.

Tiletron
July 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ok I'll have a word. Bear in mind a standard vBulletin license costs a lot - unless of course you have a great deal of support from fans in the community, who are willing to contribute some money every year to keep it going.

At any rate this is not something that can be discussed all in one go. It needs weeks of planning and, as Immothep has said before, it also needs enough people behind it - that being in terms of the regular fans as well as just the devteams.

I still need to speak to Alex and the rest of Horizon about this in greater detail, and that can only be done during a Meeting Night.

Esquin
July 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM
It seems that you appear less interested in a coalition between the different VS's and more interested in everyone following and doing exactly what the people at Horizon tell us to do.

Tiletron
July 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not saying that at all, all i'm saying is Alex hasn't agreed to the idea of a coalition. I'm sorry that whenever I get excited about something everybody decides to fly off the handle about it, thinking i'm ordering people around :(

I just thought it was good idea, that's all. Besides, there's no reason why any of you can't start the group between the teams now, and we can't join it when we are ready to do so, now is there...

Esquin
July 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Just seemed when you started it that all the stuff was comming from Horizon with no real mention of the other VS's out there. Destiny for example is written in the same period as Horizon but there was no mention of the 308 fighters or the Destiny class ships.

Tiletron
July 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I only mention Horizon's ships because these I am more familiar with. I've read much of Horizon myself but not all, and I'm reading Destiny's pilot right now and are enjoying it so far, but I'm spending most of my time either designing or building stuff for Horizon's Season 3 launch.

Having said all of this, I did comment a little on another thread started a couple of months ago, which discusses both Horizon's and Destiny's ships in some detail.

In my way of thinking, I see Stargate much like an RTS game. The beauty about threads like that is we can discuss the "technology trees" that are expanded to accomodate ships or weapons built to fight specific enemies that cross the paths of SG Teams. I have no doubt we may even see some of our shows' stuff end up in the online game Cheyenne are making, if we're really lucky :)

Tiletron
July 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
This is a little skin I've been working on, in case there is any interest in the future:

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/2894/sgdcpresrender001en6.th.jpg (http://img331.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sgdcpresrender001en6.jpg)

Tiletron
July 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Now obviously it's far from finished, but it gives you a rough idea on how it would look. On the left there are a set of menus on what you would expect for something like this, while on the right, there is a sort of 'POTD' area meant to post recent images/links to recent artwork done by each team (there are no graphics for Genesis or Nexus because there aren't any typical promotional banners yet).

There will also be a button in this area leading to a page so that more VSs can join the coalition, enable special access to areas of the site that normal members will not be able to see

In the middle there is also your usual area for posting news. The square-like shape on one of the tables is where a logo will appear; these will serve to identify whether the news is from a specific team or the site itself.

Dr Hurst
July 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
I'm liking the looks of it so far Tiletron. I think one of the things that I instantly saw was those small banners on the right for each series. They all seem to be similar in design, yet different in colour, something I really like.

Looking forward to seeing good things for this.

Tiletron
July 31st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I created the one for Horizon using copies of stuff we've already released (our forum-avatar, one of our wallpapers), but I actually borrowed the other two from your signature and Aaron's site. I hope neither of you mind :)

I also think the chevron flanking on the left-hand side is a relly cool thing for each banner.

I personally think the Horizon banner could be a little better. I wonder if Nick has the blended wallpaper he did without the text or the gate, so I can add the chevron and text on there better...