This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.N.I.T - SG-1 Style!

So I was thinking, as I do sometimes, which believe me, is *very* dangerous, that it would be cool to see a Doctor Who episode following in the vein of the "unorthodox" Who episodes that don't revolve so much around the Doctor, in which there is an alien attack, and instead of following The Doctor, we follow UNIT. We'd get to know the characters in the UNIT.. um unit, and follow their adventure, much like in a Stargate SG-1 ep. I mean, of course the Doctor would have to be worked in there SOMEHOW, maybe the Doctor actually gets captured and is being tortured, I mean in "Dalek" he wouldnt have escaped Van Statten, had the Dalek not started on its killing spree.

So, basic premise...

Alien Invasion.

UNIT mobalise and send in a four man team to neutralise the threat.

Maybe The Brigadier could make an apearance as Lord Lethbridge-Stewart?

Any thoughts?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    So I was thinking, as I do sometimes, which believe me, is *very* dangerous, that it would be cool to see a Doctor Who episode following in the vein of the "unorthodox" Who episodes that don't revolve so much around the Doctor, in which there is an alien attack, and instead of following The Doctor, we follow UNIT. We'd get to know the characters in the UNIT.. um unit, and follow their adventure, much like in a Stargate SG-1 ep. I mean, of course the Doctor would have to be worked in there SOMEHOW, maybe the Doctor actually gets captured and is being tortured, I mean in "Dalek" he wouldnt have escaped Van Statten, had the Dalek not started on its killing spree.

So, basic premise...

Alien Invasion.

UNIT mobalise and send in a four man team to neutralise the threat.

Maybe The Brigadier could make an apearance as Lord Lethbridge-Stewart?

Any thoughts?
    Maybe as a third show, I don't see the point. I understand what you mean, in fact Love and Monsters was very much a follow another group of people around get their perspective... no I don't think they were like UNIT... just an example of when the show has kind of done that. Really most of the time when UNIT was in the classic series we did see them a lot anyway, well yes they were serialised eps but still we got to know a bit about them over the years.

Soooo how would this be different to that? Would it be? Do you want a kind of X-Files ep when they would go off with the Lone Gunmen? They usually don't work becasue people want to watch The Doctor, in Doctor Who not anyone else, and we have less time with him now then ever!

UNIT has always seemed a tricky thing to get a hold on as basically you need to like the UN, the idea of the UN and these days more then ever most people just don't like that idea. Wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the considerations with creating Torchwood instead of just going with UNIT. I mean why not go with UNIT?

Short of it no, not my cup of tea... unless you put some really interesting character up front.

Comment

LOL...

this reminds me of something Bru'tak and some friends did once to promote a new coffee shop (which is inside a police box, e.g a tardis)

they basically used their SG1 uniforms and covered the SGC patched with UNIT patches
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Isn't the doctor unit's sicentific adviser, then I doubt once they learn who he is they would troucher him
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I'm sorry, I think a fair few of you have misunderstood me. Allow me to elaborate.

I was making reference to Love & Monsters as being an unorthodox episode of Who that doesn't stick to the usual format. I wasn't comparing them to UNIT.

I wasn't suggesting UNIT tortured the Doctor. I was suggesting that maybe The Doctor was captured by an alien force and UNIT came to his rescue.

Torchwood is a different organisation to UNIT. UNIT is military, Torchwood is more like the NID.

UNIT is a different organisation now to what it once was. When we used to see UNIT they were in supporting roles, and most of the time were there to be gunned down or provide a distraction. I wanted an episode that revolved around a UNIT team that would be similar to an SG1 episode. UNIT being the direct heroes of the episode that were followed. I don't think a 3rd show for them would be a good idea, just one episode where we get to see UNIT *really* excel and show how they're every bit as good as an SG team.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Personally, I think it would be a great idea, and would make a really entertaining ep if done well

It would have worked orders of magnitude better than Love & Monsters since UNIT are already involved with aliens and there's no reason for UNIT to get inapropriately silly (although you could have some great fun with British military stereotypes )

As for plot:

Here's a half-baked idea:

How about some completely devestated urbanized planet in the middle of war opening up a portal (or many randomly appearing portals) to Earth and the fighting spilling over into our planet. The Doctor could get trapped on the alien planet under fire and UNIT could try to rescue him while battling both sides on Earth and on their planet while crossing over at unexpected times when a portal appears.

Another half-baked idea:

How about having the TARDIS, with the Doctor on board, get trapped in the time-vortex because of an alien invasion in progress on Earth preventing him from rematerialising, and him making contact with UNIT to give them sporadic advice (and getting cut off an inapropriate times), while they must find a way to defeat the aliens on ther own.

Comment

I rather like your second idea Wraith! Sounds like a great way to make sure the Doctor IS actually in the ep and playing a pivotol role without having him being the actual hero. Though I must impress that I think having too much UNIT would be bad in the ep, the main UNIT soldiers SHOULD be about the same size as an SG team.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                I'm sorry, I think a fair few of you have misunderstood me. Allow me to elaborate.

I was making reference to Love & Monsters as being an unorthodox episode of Who that doesn't stick to the usual format. I wasn't comparing them to UNIT.

I wasn't suggesting UNIT tortured the Doctor. I was suggesting that maybe The Doctor was captured by an alien force and UNIT came to his rescue.

Torchwood is a different organisation to UNIT. UNIT is military, Torchwood is more like the NID.

UNIT is a different organisation now to what it once was. When we used to see UNIT they were in supporting roles, and most of the time were there to be gunned down or provide a distraction. I wanted an episode that revolved around a UNIT team that would be similar to an SG1 episode. UNIT being the direct heroes of the episode that were followed. I don't think a 3rd show for them would be a good idea, just one episode where we get to see UNIT *really* excel and show how they're every bit as good as an SG team.
                Well I didn't misunderstand you, I got what you meant and it doesn't work for me. And I do think UNIT was less military then say the US Air Force of SG-1/SGA because they were also interested in listening to The Doctor about Aliens and the like, I mean they knew he was a Time Lord, it was no secret within the UN (was it? ) and as I said, I really believe the show is using Torchwood now to fill that gap, not the same no, but yes another major organisation as part of the Whoverse, that is there to protect Earth *in theory* from invasion.

And as I said I wouldn't mind if it has an interesting main character but if it is just some face we can't make a connection with then what is the point?

That is another reason I think RTD went with John Barrowman in Torchwood as we already know him and most people like his character so we have a built in connection to him. We will *hopefully* care if he is almost killed
                Spoiler:
                again

As for The Doctor needing to be rescued by UNIT anyway... well it is a bit of a no brain-er that The Doctor isn't going to die *yet* so wouldn't that just be a waste... I know it was just an example but if they were to use UNIT in 80% or whatever of an episode I would like it to be for a better reason then to be there to rescue The Doctor.

Comment

Working...
                X