This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection Troubles

Has anyone else had problems connecting to the forum for the past 12 hours?
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
    Has anyone else had problems connecting to the forum for the past 12 hours?
    can you be more specific as to what problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
      can you be more specific as to what problems?
      Well, for about 12 hours prior to that post, connecting to the forum would result in the connection timing out. It didn't affect the main site, just the forum. No one else seems to be reporting it, so the problem may not have related to Gateworld. If I'd thought about it, I would have run a traceroute just to see how far the packets were getting.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

the site & forums are both on the same [frontend] server, so if you can get to the site, there shouldnt be any reason you cant get to the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          the site & forums are both on the same [frontend] server, so if you can get to the site, there shouldnt be any reason you cant get to the forums.
          After futher thinking, I remembered the error was the server taking too long to respond, not a connection timeout. I presume that, by this error message, Firefox means that it made the initial connection and HTTP request, but never recieved a reply. It would seem likely that there was a fault at the software. It was a very selective error, judging by the lack of responses on this thread, so it was something related specifically to my account, maybe.

Of course, there also exists the possibility that some kind of filtering was occurring along the route specifically blocking the data of the connection (as the TCP connection itself was being successfully established). That seems a bit unlikely though.

As it is, the issue seems to have resolved itself, so now it's more of a curiosity than an issue needing to be resolved. If it repeats, I'll try to gather information from my end, but I can't think of much more I could gather beyond what I've already noted.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Funny you should mention it, there seems to be issues with other web forums as well. I don't see how they're related, but a few I know are suffering as well. I keep getting bad server responses at a couple and though sometimes I'll have Safari not load the page, I don't get that message.

Regardless, you aren't the only one.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

maybe it's a vbulletin bug ......????
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Unless i can get some more specific info, i can say that its not an issue on our end.

Comment

Working...
                X