This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 10 walks a fine line...Spoilers

Ok...I'm probably setting myself up for alot of disagreement but...

For the past 10 years SG-1 has done an amazing job of having stories based around many ancient faiths, and mythologys with the acception of two major ones: Christianity and Islam.

Now...am I the only one who gets the feeling that this line is about to be crossed? There are many elements in season 9 which communicates this to me some are:

Spoiler:
    Vala's baby being born not from a virgin but with out a father

2. The very intorduction of Sangraal or "Holy Grail" is a direct element of Christianity
    3. The way assention is discribed and showed leads me to believe that it is not to long before they say or cite Jesus is being assended. (By the way...I do think it would be a very cool thing if the Ancients did start helpping out and Jesus was on the front line against the Ori.

I'm not saying this "line" is going to be crossed but I have a feeling it will be danced around on an extream level.
    McKay:...ZedPM
    O'Neill: Zed?
    Jackson: He's Canadian
    O'Neill: I'm sorry

I say it is about time they actually dealt with Christianity. They have spent years twisting, bashing and insulting other religions.

Spoiler:
    And there are a number of religions throughout history, pre-Christianity, that have a child born of a virgin.

And, some people might find it offensive to have their religious beliefs referred to as myth.

Comment

I apologize I never ment to have other faiths and religions Myths I was refering to the Egyptian and Greek mythologies, I never ment to insult anyone. And when I mentioned Vala's baby as an example of Christianity I never said no other religion had examples of that...I was only using it as an example...

again I apologize if I offended anyone

Comment

The Sangreal actually isn't about Christianity (well, not solely anyway). That is a popular misconception... It's about divinity, but the idea it's a Christian challace, or Christian in etymology is somewhat false. It is because if the Knights Templar that is is more attributed to the Christian faith then Celtic Mythology and Medival France where much of the mythology surrounding the Sangraal was created.

And most other religions and mythologies actually have stories of devine conception... It once again is not localised to Christianity. Interestingly enough, we are not sure whether or not it is a devine pregnancy that Vala has, or if she was impregnated by someone very human (a prior maybe) while unconcious.

SylverWolf, they haven't twisted or bashed other religions.. they have recreated many religions. And TBH, Christianity and any modern day religions should not be dealt with directly... IMHO of course.
        Last edited by Deevil; 23 June 2006, 09:19 PM.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

If I may say...If anything the show has shown that the Acient people were not a bunch of rock throwing nomads with a complete lack of brains...but rather a rational thinking people who were mislead.

Comment

life is not wotth living if you don't cross thay ever impending line in your life....though I would be insulted if they made Jesus. unless he was a holy man in the show (I'm sorry but each time I picture Jesus and stargate I think of Family Guys Jesus, why? ask some one else in my head. I love the gosple and I'm sure that if they were to create Jesus in the show it would be a reverent refrence. but I don't think the writers will go so far as to say anyone was Jesus but rather have a Jesus look/act alike with out a direct name.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Stargate already take a stab at Christianity in Demons, all the way back in Season 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Stargate already take a stab at Christianity in Demons, all the way back in Season 3?
                Yes I forgot to mention that BUT they did say that Sokar had taken pre-exsisting Christians, and was only impersonating Satan, not God

Comment

So its ok to fantasize and make up stuff about Egyptian religion/mythos, Greek, Chinese, Hinduism, etc. but as soon as you "touch" Christianity/Islam you are crossing a line? Doesn't work for me.

1)
                  Spoiler:
                  Vala's baby does have a father... they're called ORI.

2) The Stargate mythos is delving into medieval mythos. Knights and wizards have always been closer to Christian mythology because of the fact that they were set in medieval Europe. So that can't be helped and it would make absolutely NO sense if Christian mythos were ignored.

3) Acension has been around since season 4 or so, so its nothing new. Jesus Christ or otherwise.

Originally posted by All hail the USAF
                  Ok...I'm probably setting myself up for alot of disagreement but...

For the past 10 years SG-1 has done an amazing job of having stories based around many ancient faiths, and mythologys with the acception of two major ones: Christianity and Islam.

Now...am I the only one who gets the feeling that this line is about to be crossed? There are many elements in season 9 which communicates this to me some are:

Spoiler:
                  Vala's baby being born not from a virgin but with out a father

2. The very intorduction of Sangraal or "Holy Grail" is a direct element of Christianity
                  3. The way assention is discribed and showed leads me to believe that it is not to long before they say or cite Jesus is being assended. (By the way...I do think it would be a very cool thing if the Ancients did start helpping out and Jesus was on the front line against the Ori.

I'm not saying this "line" is going to be crossed but I have a feeling it will be danced around on an extream level.
                  Last edited by TameFarrar; 25 June 2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                    So its ok to fantasize and make up stuff about Egyptian religion/mythos, Greek, Chinese, Hinduism, etc. but as soon as you "touch" Christianity/Islam you are crossing a line? Doesn't work for me.
                    Don't get me wrong I never ment "fine line" as something bad...simply as s border they haven't crossed yet I have no problem with them making a story based on any religion
                    Last edited by TameFarrar; 25 June 2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                      2) The Stargate mythos is delving into medieval mythos. Knights and wizards have always been closer to Christian mythology because of the fact that they were set in medieval Europe. So that can't be helped and it would make absolutely NO sense if Christian mythos were ignored.
                      The idea of Wizards dates back further then Medieval Europe, and has many pre-christian origins. This is another misconception.

Christian Mythos has not completely be ignored, but no current relgious mythos should ever become a part of the overall story arc of the show because it would set an extremely dangerous precidence.

Interestingly enough, much of what is happening in Stargate S9 and it appears in S10 has little to do with Christian Mythos in orgin.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

If people really do get offended by Stargate basing a fictional story around their religion, they need to get a grip. Instead of trying to ruin everyone else’s fun should simply ignore the things that bother them, and let people who do enjoy such programming, enjoy it.
                        An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I don't think bringing any current religion into the story is going to further the story. It will alienate many fans most likely.

The great thing about Sci-Fi is what they show through similie and metaphor, not what they outright tell us. It's easy to assume that the Ori are like the perpetuators of the Dark Ages religion, but they don't tell us that. They made a different religion all together - one that can be read as any religion with their zealots. Nothing that is individual to one religion...

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, they haven't
                            Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                            spent years twisting, bashing and insulting other religions.
                            The Goa'uld impersonated the ancient gods - the religion wasn't based on the Goa'uld. They've had Nirrti, a Hindu goddess, but they aren't saying that the Hindu gods were aliens - they're saying that aliens impersonated the Hindu gods that were already believed in.

I think that as long as they don't go out and specifically say "Jesus is an Ancient" they'll be fine. There hasn't been a lot about Christianity in season 9, just slight hints and touches,
                            Spoiler:
                            like Vala's baby not having a father - although even then they talked about King Arthur and Darth Vader, not Jesus.
                            (Although they seemed to be avoiding Jesus so as not to cause offence, but I don't see how mentioning him would have)
                            And they're not taking the Holy Grail from Christianity, they're using it based on its appearance in the King Arthur mythology.
                            Last edited by TameFarrar; 25 June 2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Actually, Deevil, they have bashed other religions. They have used names of real gods that are still worshipped and put them in the *false gods* plot arc they use. They have taken the names of real gods and twisted the belief system and worship of them into this *aliens posing as false gods who enslave, torture and murder*. That is bashing other religions.
                              And if they use those religions, then they should also deal with the *main three* directly.

Comment

Working...
                              X