• Time
  • Show
Clear All

COLUMN: Let's Stop Spoiling Stargate

COLUMN:
    LET'S STOP SPOILING STARGATE
    An Open Letter to Stargate Fans
    BY - Darren Sumner

Spoilers may help build excitement in the Stargate fan community, but too many spoilers aren't good for the show or the fans. Here's a modest proposal.

READ MORE ...

I really liked this article and I fully agree with Darren. We from Stargate-Project will proceed like Gateworld and we wont' give away the ending anymore.
    Very good German Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis Fanpage with all Information, Lexicon, Episodeguide, most current News and a great design: www.Stargate-Project.com

Comment

I don't really have a problem with forum posted spoilers. On the whole I have found it fairly easy to avoid them.
      My big beef is with the magazine interviews with stars or production staff that carry ep spoilers tucked away in the text.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
        My big beef is with the magazine interviews with stars or production staff that carry ep spoilers tucked away in the text.
        Hmm.. a good reason to write MGM before TVZone walks through the door again

Comment

I love reading spoilers, but I don't like to know how the episode ends. I also don't like a blow by blow of what occurs in every scene it takes away from my enjoyment because I end up going "oh look" there's that scene, instead of paying attention to the show. My favorite kinds of spoilers are the ones we get at GateWorld and the like
          ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
          The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

That's the best thing about the 'spoilers' on Gateworld - they just tease instead of giving away the entire story. More than a tv guide episode synopsis, but waaaay less than a transcript. I like that.
            Nola
            sigpic

Comment

When I became an SG1 fan, I had only seen Seasons 1&2. At the same time, Scifi was already showing S6. To play catch up, I purchased DVDs, but was still missing S5 and parts of S6. So, I turned to spoilers. Reading spoilers in this case, has helped me catch up with character developments and events.

However, I refused to read spoilers of S7 episodes. I want to be entertained and it has been very satisfying. Being teased by trailers and publicity pictures are just fine with me.

Sometimes, when you read spoilers, you also read fans' opinions and this can colour the way you see the episode too.

Darren, I think it's great that Gateworld will honour the studio's concerns about spoilers. Way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Norlioness
                Sometimes, when you read spoilers, you also read fans' opinions and this can colour the way you see the episode too.
                Yes, I got to the point that when the UK was getting the episodes first I would avoid the forums between the time the episode started and the time I finished downloand and watching it Otherwise it was a case of Too Much Information AND other peoples' opinions both of which I found took away from my enjoyment of the episode.

Otherwise I love spoilers like the ones on GateWorld and look forward to them all the time.

*runs off to refresh the GateWorld homepage*
                ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

I like to know alot about the upcoming Stargate episodes and to be honest I wouldn't know where to stop reading if somebody gave me the whole transcript.

So I like the fact that Gateworld tells a good portion of the episode but stops at the third or fourth Act and doesn't not spoil the ending! It has kept me from being dissappointed on many episodes.

I'm glad Gateworld has adopted this policy, and I myself have tried not to venture out to other websites in search of more information. Despide how hard it is not too, I think I'm doing a pretty good job.

Ace
                  "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                    I like to know alot about the upcoming Stargate episodes and to be honest I wouldn't know where to stop reading if somebody gave me the whole transcript.
                    I know. It's extremely difficult. As soon as new spoilers are released on GW I'm drawn to it like stink on a monkey.

The only time I regretted it was the Lost City information about 8 months before the shows came out.

Comment

Spoilers have saved me from watching some truly wretched eps, so I'm all for 'em.

Comment

I'm ordinarily a spoiler junkie, but after some of the eps we got in s7, I'm avoiding s8 and atlantis spoilers in the interests of postponing disapointment, or maybe being pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I got disconnected from the Showtime channel after "Chain Reaction" aired from Season Four. We got it back when Showtime aired their Season 5 marathon, the first ten episodes of the season. I had heard nothing on them (before I discovered GW) and watched from Enemies to Wormhole X-Treme all in one day, with one shock after another. I've never had a better Stargate experience!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                            I don't really have a problem with forum posted spoilers. On the whole I have found it fairly easy to avoid them.
                            I am soooo with you here. I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible. I think about 70% of the spoilers I didn't manage to avoid came from Magazine articles, about 25% came from the Gateworld forum and 5% through my own stupidity, giving in to curiousity and thinking I could 'skim' something without getting too spoiled.

The magazines are THE WORST. And when you think about it, that goes back not only to the journalist (they will print any exclusive info they can get their hands on. Trust me, I'm one of them ) but the actor/pruducer/writer or whoever is being interviewed. As much as I love them all, sometimes they can be a little careless with the spoilers. Just because something has already been 'leaked' online doesn't mean everybody has read it...

Although I do believe many of them try. Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping I know give spoiler warnings in chats for example.

Comment

i love reading spoilers, but i hate myself after i have watched the show in question. it does have a tendency to ruin things, but i cant help it.

Comment

Working...
                              X