PDA

View Full Version : Writers Wanted!

Alex Rubit
June 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Season Two hasn't even finished airing, and we're already working on Season Three as I'm typing this. And we are looking for at least four additional writers to join the staff. Preferably staff writers, but if you're interested in a freelance writing gig, just apply as well.

To apply, send an email to [email protected] Make sure to attach a writing sample, tell us something about yourself and why you'd like to join the staff. Emails will be responded to very quickly, as the one of the main focus points is now on recruiting additional writers. So if you're interested, don't waste any time.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Tiletron
June 23rd, 2006, 05:32 AM
I'm interested, however I don't think I can write a whole episode. I'm more comfortable with the idea of writing background information on nay technology, races and locations that the Horizon team comes across, as well as any stuff the ISGC develops.

If you're with that I can be a Technical Writer (a writer who focuses on a specific area of a project), so that still leaves four spots open for general writing of scripts.

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
June 23rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
I'm interested in joining as a staff writer. Does the sample have to be a piece on SG:H or can it be on anything just to demonstrate our ability?

Alex Rubit
June 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm interested in joining as a staff writer. Does the sample have to be a piece on SG:H or can it be on anything just to demonstrate our ability?

Writing samples can be really anything. It doesn't have to be related to Horizon or even to Stargate in general.

Alex Rubit
June 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm interested, however I don't think I can write a whole episode. I'm more comfortable with the idea of writing background information on nay technology, races and locations that the Horizon team comes across, as well as any stuff the ISGC develops.

If you're with that I can be a Technical Writer (a writer who focuses on a specific area of a project), so that still leaves four spots open for general writing of scripts.

Sure. We might be able to work that out. We should talk about it some more behind the scenes.

Dr Hurst
June 23rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
I would love the chance to show the Horizon team my talents. I am currently in the process of writing my own Virtual Series, one which has garnered a fair bit of interest (see the thread titled Stargate Andromeda - Join The Expedition). I would enjoyed all of Horizons scripts so far, and to be able to write for them would be great for me. I will sned you my application as soon as possible.

Tiletron
June 24th, 2006, 05:01 AM
I would love the chance to show the Horizon team my talents. I am currently in the process of writing my own Virtual Series, one which has garnered a fair bit of interest (see the thread titled Stargate Andromeda - Join The Expedition). I would enjoyed all of Horizons scripts so far, and to be able to write for them would be great for me. I will sned you my application as soon as possible.

Back when SG1 Season 6 was showing, I played around with the idea that there had to be a Stargate that could engage all nine chevrons. Or, better yet, the gate to Avalon; the homeworld of the Ancients where the Stargates were first created. If this is what your series plans to do I say go for it, coz that would be cool :)

Alex Rubit
June 25th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to say that I have already received some emails from people who are interested. Most of them post here, so I'm just letting them know that they can expect a reply very shortly. Within the next couple of days.

To everyone else, if you're interested don't wait too long. We're looking for as many writers as we can find. So right now the chances of joining the staff (if you're a writer) are probably higher than ever before.

Futura
June 25th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Good luck in your quest for finding the writer you require to continue this wonderful series.

Mike3121
June 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Freelance writing sounds good. I've got a history degree (European Diplomatic History) which required much writing. On Gate World Fan Fiction check out "Eve of Destruction" for a sample.

Mike3121

Elles
July 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Oh I would love to. I love writing and I love Stargate: Horizon... But the thing is... Would you hire someone who's thirteen? I'll try anyway...

Tiletron
July 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Oh I would love to. I love writing and I love Stargate: Horizon... But the thing is... Would you hire someone who's thirteen? I'll try anyway...

As we've stated before we'll need a sample of previous work (even if it's a short story or something written for a project), but yeah, I don't think age is too much of an issue at the moment.

Who we are really interested in are those who have proper experience - most of us here are late-teens and beyond, so we've had a lot of experience in forms of English Language/Literature, as well as putting our own creativeness to paper. I'm not saying we won't take you on as a writer, I'm just emphasising that (if we do), applicants need to understand that each of our scripts will be organised for completion to a certain deadline...

Writers won't be working alone - unless they can write an entire script, without very much direction - but you will still need to be able to handle the pressure that we have to get a series done in.

I love your enthusiasm, though :)

Alex Rubit
July 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm a very strong believer in giving everyone a chance. So all I can say, Elles, is give it a try.

Naturally age does factor in to a certain degree when it comes to hiring someone as a staff writer. But it doesn't have to be the deciding factor. I am usually hessitant to get people who are "too young" to be on the staff, quite simply because we are writing a series that, in my honest oppinion, has the quality of any good television show out there. And we're doing it for free, which makes it definitely hard to find the right writers for that. And one of the toughest challenges over the last two years has been to actually find writers. So, that's why it can happen that someone's "too young."

But I'm just speaking in general. There might be people out there who are quite young, but who are just very talented. In addition, no one ever goes off and writes an episode on their own. It's all a team effort.

In the past we've actually had people write some really great episodes, where I thought when I was in that age I didn't write anything nearly as good (and I'm very old, as I'm sure you can tell by that; I'm about Lenori's age).

But anyway, long post short: anyone who's interested should definitely apply. You never know. Don't let the age stop you. There's really no rule other than that you have to be a writer. :)

Alex Rubit
July 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Freelance writing sounds good. I've got a history degree (European Diplomatic History) which required much writing. On Gate World Fan Fiction check out "Eve of Destruction" for a sample.

Mike3121

I hadn't gotten a chance to check it out yet. Usually it should go quicker if you could email something of your work, but I'll make sure to have a look at it this weekend.

SierraGulf1
July 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Indeed, if you're a seven year old who can somehow write a decent quality script, welcome aboard.

Tiletron
July 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Indeed, if you're a seven year old who can somehow write a decent quality script, welcome aboard.

:lol:

Elles
July 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
:lol:
That's what I was going to say.

I love your enthusiasm though. :)
Thank you, but I don't actually consider myself to be much of an enthusiastic person. I'm just happy because I have the opportunity to become a writer for Horizon. It's something I've had the desire to do since... since... uh... don't remember...

*vanishes in a cloud of smoke*

SierraGulf1
July 9th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Actually, Elles, from reading your posts I probably would have guessed you around 16-17 at the least.

Elles
July 11th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Actually, Elles, from reading your posts I probably would have guessed you around 16-17 at the least.
Really? Well... I don't really know what to say 'bout that... I've always considered myself to be younger mentally...

Joe Hodkiss
July 15th, 2006, 11:04 PM

If it makes you feel any better I've seen posts and writing from people three times your age that was so terrible it made my eyes hurt.

Elles
July 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
If it makes you feel any better I've seen posts and writing from people three times your age that was so terrible it made my eyes hurt.
Oy... I think I know what you're talking about... You tend to get a lot of those posts on Neopets...

IrishPisano
July 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
interesting, i may have to give this a shot, or wait till the next round of hires since its already end of july

Rottie
July 29th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I would love to join this,since I love writing/creating/designing and best of all...reading.:)
But my only problem is,I have never watched stargate horizon and I know nothgin about it other then it is fan fic based correct?

Tiletron
July 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I would love to join this,since I love writing/creating/designing and best of all...reading.:)
But my only problem is,I have never watched stargate horizon and I know nothgin about it other then it is fan fic based correct?

For starters, the reason why you haven't watched it is because nobody has. It's not a televised series!

If you want to know what it's like, right-click this link (http://www.stargatehorizon.com/pdf/awakening.pdf) and save a copy of the Pilot to read :cool:

Rottie
July 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cool

Asgard
August 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I am interested in applying if you still are looking for writers. I just have to polish up my writing sample, I wan' to do a little more work on them before submitting if you are accepting still.

Maf.e.u
August 15th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Cool. Whats the pay? and the general length a story needs to be?
Do you pay per word?

Season Two hasn't even finished airing, and we're already working on Season Three as I'm typing this. And we are looking for at least four additional writers to join the staff. Preferably staff writers, but if you're interested in a freelance writing gig, just apply as well.

To apply, send an email to [email protected] Make sure to attach a writing sample, tell us something about yourself and why you'd like to join the staff. Emails will be responded to very quickly, as the one of the main focus points is now on recruiting additional writers. So if you're interested, don't waste any time.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Alex Rubit
August 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I am interested in applying if you still are looking for writers. I just have to polish up my writing sample, I wan' to do a little more work on them before submitting if you are accepting still.

We're still accepting applications for one more staff writer possition, and a couple of freelance openings.

Elite Anubis Guard
August 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
It isn't a job you get paid for.

Elles
August 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many positions on the staff are still open and who is occupying the rest?

Asgard
August 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many positions on the staff are still open and who is occupying the rest?

The answer to your first part of your question was answered two posts above but here it is again.

We're still accepting applications for one more staff writer possition, and a couple of freelance openings.

Elles
August 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
The answer to your first part of your question was answered two posts above but here it is again.
I'm very capable of scrolling up, thanks, though I'm not as good at remembering everything I read.

Alex Rubit
August 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Cool. Whats the pay? and the general length a story needs to be?
Do you pay per word?

Yeah, like EAG said, this isn't a job you get paid for. I think none of us would mind getting paid for it, but this is all just for fun, and to entertain ourselves and others who choose to read the series.

By general length of a story, are you referring to the general length of writing samples? If so anything around ten to fifteen pages (if script format), and anything around five pages (if prose) would work.

But it sounds more like you mean the general length of stories for Horizon? If so then all I can say is they should end up running around 43 minutes; that is, if they actually aired on TV. ;)

Alex Rubit
August 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Elles brought up a good point. Just who are the new staff writers?

You can expect an official announcement and welcome message with all of their names very soon. I was also going to introduce them all once I finally get around to updating my blog.

And speaking of the website, hopefully we'll be getting around to doing some upgrades to it very soon.

Elles
August 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Excellent... I like soon... :D

Asgard
August 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I'm very capable of scrolling up, thanks, though I'm not as good at remembering everything I read.

No reason to get defensive, I am just trying to help out.

Alex Rubit
September 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
The possitions for staff writers have been filled!

I'd like to thank everyone who's applied over the last couple of months. And I'd also like to say to everyone who's still interested, you can always send an email and apply. Right now we're fully staffed (having seven writers), but we are still looking for freelance writers for the second half of the season. And if you're then interested, and turn out to be quite talented, there's a huge chance we'll just add you as a full time staff member.

So even though we're now no longer officially looking for staff writers, we're still accepting applications and story pitches. Confusing, isn't it? But it's what we do. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
September 11th, 2006, 09:30 AM
7 bloody writers?

IrishPisano
September 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM
gee, i wish i had received a reply to my inquiry email, bc if i did, i would have applied in time to be considered... would have been nice :S

Alex Rubit
September 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM
gee, i wish i had received a reply to my inquiry email, bc if i did, i would have applied in time to be considered... would have been nice :S

What inquiry email is that? And which email account did you send it to?

If you've sent it to [email protected], I'm sure I must have replied. If not, just send it again. Like I said, you can still apply. :)

IrishPisano
September 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
how true... sorry bout last post, my job absolutely sucks and is more draining than a wraith....... and i do not jest. i'll check my email and send you one again... it was mostly an inquiry about the "safety" of the writing samples we aspiring wrters submit to you as any of mine worth submitting are currently entered in several writing competitions which could lead to publication, thus you can understand my concern.

then again, i could just write something that i would not mind being stolen

Alex Rubit
September 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM
how true... sorry bout last post, my job absolutely sucks and is more draining than a wraith....... and i do not jest. i'll check my email and send you one again... it was mostly an inquiry about the "safety" of the writing samples we aspiring wrters submit to you as any of mine worth submitting are currently entered in several writing competitions which could lead to publication, thus you can understand my concern.

then again, i could just write something that i would not mind being stolen

I don't remember having ever received an email regarding that. But I can assure you that you don't have to worry about any of what you send in being stolen.

Too busy writing our own things. No time to steel other people's work. ;)

ellymelly
September 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Are you still on the search for writers?

Alex Rubit
September 13th, 2006, 07:35 AM
This is the message I posted the other day. ;)

The possitions for staff writers have been filled!

I'd like to thank everyone who's applied over the last couple of months. And I'd also like to say to everyone who's still interested, you can always send an email and apply. Right now we're fully staffed (having seven writers), but we are still looking for freelance writers for the second half of the season. And if you're then interested, and turn out to be quite talented, there's a huge chance we'll just add you as a full time staff member.

So even though we're now no longer officially looking for staff writers, we're still accepting applications and story pitches. Confusing, isn't it? But it's what we do.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM
So in summary, no staff writers but free lancers. Alex, stop hogging all the bloody writers. You've got 7 ya don't need anymore! lol

ellymelly
September 13th, 2006, 03:00 PM
lol sorry i was just browsing :D