This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Addiction=No Draft/Conscription?

Totally OT. I'm not really sure what to say about this other than I find it amusing, at least. In truth, service isn't dismissed, just postponed until they "grow up".
    Web Addiction Gets Finnish Conscripts Out of Army
    Tue Aug 3, 2004 10:53 AM ET

Read full story here.

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A number of Finnish conscripts have been excused their full term of military service because they are addicted to the Internet, the Finnish Defense Forces said on Tuesday.

Doctors have found the young men miss their computers too much to cope with their compulsory six months in the forces.

** snip snip **

"They get sent home for three years and after that they have to come back and we ask if they are OK ... they will have had time to grow up," Kivela said.

Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
    Totally OT. I'm not really sure what to say about this other than I find it amusing, at least. In truth, service isn't dismissed, just postponed until they "grow up".
    What about those of us who never grow up? After all "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever." (Don't ask me who said it, it's on a friend's away message.)
    Rocky

Comment

LOL... hey, I wonder what it was about the web they were so compelled to be addicted to. Information?
      Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
      more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
      X