PDA

View Full Version : GateWorld Sweepstakes

generalgater
June 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Dudes,

I think its totally unfair that this is open to only US residents. British people are sick of this sorta thing only being available in the US - like the whole "get in the gate" thing.

I know costs will be a little higher to send UK people there - but come on - how would you like it if you were in my situation?

Lord Zedd
June 13th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Well I am not from the UK or from the US so if things like get in the gate contest should be available to everyone in the world !

generalgater
June 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Not being biast etc. but UK and USA are the two main countries for entertainment really - we're biggest on Stargate so we deserve equal rights.

TameFarrar
June 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Quite possibly it might be that whomever is sponsering the sweepstakes has put that proviso in as part of the sweepstakes OR it could be due to laws that none of us are aware of :)
so it might be helpful to ask about that first :)

star47
June 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Is anyone having the same problem I'm having that it says you must be 18 to enter? I filled in my birthdate, and honey....I'm WAAAY past 18!

Cereal_Killer
June 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hi, I just turned 18 on the 13th, so on that day I filled out the form with my info and my date of birth, 06/13/1988. I hit submit and was surprised to see a page that said this: SORRY! Your date of birth indicates that you are not eligible to enter the "Celebrate the Gate" sweepstakes. Entrants must be 18 years of age or older on the date of entry.

Since I was 18 the day I entered, I'd like to know why it's telling me this. Also, every time I go back to try and fill out the form again, I'm instead taken to the same page with the Sorry message. I'm extremely disappointed that I haven't been able to enter, I've been waiting awhile to be able to enter contests and now that I can, well, I can't. Please tell me there is a way to fix this. Thanks!

the fifth man
June 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I know I'm entering it every day. Man would I love to win this Sweepstakes. I know, who wouldn't?;)

Lauriel
June 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Dudes,

I think its totally unfair that this is open to only US residents. British people are sick of this sorta thing only being available in the US - like the whole "get in the gate" thing.

I know costs will be a little higher to send UK people there - but come on - how would you like it if you were in my situation?

ERm.. I don't like my chances of them sending me anywhere! :D

Frostfox
June 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Dudes,

It's a legal thing I'm afraid. Much more complicated to run a world wide sweepstakes than just a US one. I don't think even Canadians, part of continental USA, can enter (please correct me if I'm wrong about this bit)

FF :nox:

STÃ…RGATE: ΩMEGA
June 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Not being biast etc. but UK and USA are the two main countries for entertainment really - we're biggest on Stargate so we deserve equal rights.

And how about Canada? The country were most, if not all, of SG1 and SGA are filmed. We deserve equal right as USA.

generalgater
June 17th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Yeah you do but I would've thought that Canadians were included in this sweepstakes.... I know DVDActive.com are doing the sweepstakes with Canadians as well and its all the same sweepstakes isn't it?

Agent_Dark
June 17th, 2006, 02:46 AM
They're offering tickets to a convention. Cost of that will skyrocket if they are adding international air fares onto it, and not make it viable.

STÃ…RGATE: ΩMEGA
June 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah you do but I would've thought that Canadians were included in this sweepstakes.... I know DVDActive.com are doing the sweepstakes with Canadians as well and its all the same sweepstakes isn't it?

I dont know about that. But usually Canadians are left out of sweepstakes, especially any TV show related ones.

Madeleine
June 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
British people are sick of this sorta thing only being available in the US - like the whole "get in the gate" thing.

Speak for yourself. This Brit doesn't give a fig. We have contests of our own; we have an NHS; we have Oast Houses and Big Ben and the Angel of the North and Beckey Falls, Exmoor; we have prettier stamps and banknotes. Enjoy what you've got, and don't resent the Yanks for having nice things of their own, and if a Yank wants to be generous to other Yanks with a nice competition, be pleased for them all and not all sourgrapey.

Cereal_Killer
June 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM
So...what's up with the entry form that it won't let me enter the contest? Like I said before, I'm of age but it told me I wasn't. Now when I try to enter it again, I'm taken to the Sorry, you're too young page every time. Is it just me that this happens to or what?

<offtopic>
BTW Madeleine, I've heard of Crowborough! I remember reading that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived there, so I looked it up and found out that there is a statue of him in the town center, that the city is the headquarters for the AAORRAC, and that the name may have derived from the Old English word croh, which means yellow, or the Irish word croe, which means iron. Those last bits are especially interesting because I love things having to do with languages. So, thanks to you I learned a little something today.
</offtopic>

David
June 18th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I did a little math to figure out a recent birthday for an 18-year old and did a form test, inserting June 17, 1987. It worked.

Try accessing the submit form from a different IP. Or clear your cache.

Erik Pasternak
June 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I did a little math to figure out a recent birthday for an 18-year old and did a form test, inserting June 17, 1987. It worked.
That person would be turning 19, not 18.

Cereal_Killer
June 18th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Try accessing the submit form from a different IP. Or clear your cache.

Did both, didn't work. This is extremely disappointing.

veryangrystargatefan
June 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
What happened to the enter once a day thing? It changed since yesterday. Are there any mods lurking out there who can let us in on what the heck happened?

Rachel (veryangrystargatefan)

Rosehawk
June 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
What happened to the enter once a day thing? It changed since yesterday.

The official rules actually state only one entry per person and that entries above this limit will be void.

If you were able to enter daily, it was probably a fluke. I tried to enter a second time (forgot I had already done it the first time) and got a message saying I had already entered.

Lida
June 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Um, I've kinda been outta things recently.....what contest?

Rosehawk
June 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Go to the homepage, you can't miss it. It is a chance to win a trip to the New Jersey convention in November.

Hatusu
June 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Dudes,

I don't know about this contest, but the "Get in the Gate" Sweepstakes is sponsored by USA Studios, the owner of the SciFi channel. They probably feel that since they don't broadcast outside the U.S., they shouldn't open the contest to people outside the U.S., plus all the extra expense and difficulties.

Why don't you petition Sky and Space TV to run a contest? Sky has done it in the past. There was no walk-on, but a girl from England and her mother won a trip and a set visit. :)

Hatusu
June 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Is anyone having the same problem I'm having that it says you must be 18 to enter? I filled in my birthdate, and honey....I'm WAAAY past 18!
Yes, it said I was too young to enter. Ha! :D

Erik Pasternak
June 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Yes, it said I was too young to enter. Ha! :DThat's because the system knew you were decreasing your birth year so that you would appear older. It sees through your lies you young seventeen-year-old!

Hatusu
June 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
That's because the system knew you were decreasing your birth year so that you would appear older. It sees through your lies you young seventeen-year-old!
Hi, Rocky. :) Yes, the Asgard Loki replaced the real Hatusu with a teenaged clone. :D I was going to say that I can flirt with you now, but I realized that I'm jailbait. ;) :P

You know, I hadn't heard anything about this year's "Get in the Gate" Sweepstakes, so I checked Sci Fi's website, but I didn't find anything. :(

Lida
June 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Go to the homepage, you can't miss it. It is a chance to win a trip to the New Jersey convention in November.

Guess I missed it.....saw a small blurb about it, but you can't click on it. Oh well.....just my usual rotten luck. ;)

the fifth man
June 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Winning this sweepstakes would be so freaking cool, wouldn't it?

Rosehawk
June 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Guess I missed it.....saw a small blurb about it, but you can't click on it. Oh well.....just my usual rotten luck. ;)

hummmmm.....Did you go to the features in the left hand side of the homepage? Double click on the the picture and it takes you right to the contest.

N8ball88
June 26th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Hi, Rocky. :) Yes, the Asgard Loki replaced the real Hatusu with a teenaged clone. :D I was going to say that I can flirt with you now, but I realized that I'm jailbait. ;) :P

You know, I hadn't heard anything about this year's "Get in the Gate" Sweepstakes, so I checked Sci Fi's website, but I didn't find anything. :(

It starts July 14th.

Wasn't there something else happening on July 14th too? Hmmm...I can't quite put my finger on it...;)

Sam_Carter
June 26th, 2006, 04:25 AM

i agree! I went to the 'get in the gate' sweepstakes site... (i've been checking loads even though i know it opens in July...) and i find out that it's only open to people in the USA!?

It's so unfair... i mean... if i got a walk on part in Stargate I'D damn well pay for my OWN flights. it's the chance of a lifetime! Grrr.

I have NOTHING against the USA... i love the country! I'm just annoyed I won't get a chance to enter the swepstakes.

Oh well, i guess the USA residents get the chance to have a walk on part in Stargate.. but us Brits get a convention with Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping... woo hoo...! So i can't say i'm TOO disappointed...

Hatusu
June 26th, 2006, 06:01 AM
...Oh well, i guess the USA residents get the chance to have a walk on part in Stargate.. but us Brits get a convention with Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping... woo hoo...! So i can't say i'm TOO disappointed...
Really! :)

Sweety
July 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Wanna enter the gateworld sweepstakes but the link isn't working. I get a blank page. Any one else having the same problem?