X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is tougher, Earth's Iris or Atlantis Shield

Which do you think is the stronger of the 2, The iris or the shield

The iris is tritium, very strong and can handle a large punch, but we don't know that much bout the shield on the Atlantis gate, if its as tough as the shield that Atlantis has, then i'd rather have the shield
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Definately the shield. You can't beat Ancient tech.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeBad
      Definately the shield. You can't beat Ancient tech.
      i agree. not to mention it blocked out all the deadly high energy waves from the nuclear explosion in Coup d'etat. I dont remember but im pretty sure the earth iris cant do that and harmful radiation (while not alot) some that could be fatal could still leak through.

Comment

not mention lava pouring through it in inferno

Comment

i think the shield can be more percise than the iris
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaCk
            i agree. not to mention it blocked out all the deadly high energy waves from the nuclear explosion in Coup d'etat. I dont remember but im pretty sure the earth iris cant do that and harmful radiation (while not alot) some that could be fatal could still leak through.
            The iris can definately take a 20kt explosion, I'm quite sure that it has been shown to withstand far more than that. See Lost City Pt. 2 or the episode where Hammond is replaced with a hardass and he has Carter blow up a planet with a naquada bomb.

Comment

The iris, by it's nature and it's position, is quite strong as very little can possibly leak through. Overall I'm sure the ancient shield is the stronger of the two but it has it's own set of limitations, such as it requires an active power source. The iris doesn't require any power once it's been closed and I'm pretty sure there are manual iris controls as well so that it can be closed at the gate, though it may still require power to do so.

Comment

The Shield, because we've seen the iris destroyed so many times and i couldn't see a shield being destroyed like that. But the Iris has an Advantage, it doesn't run on power so it can be closed manually

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

The Iris is most definately the weaker. But I do agree that the fact that the Shield needs an active power source is a limitation and would be interesting to explore in an ep.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I'm curious though, as to whether the shield would get sucked in to a black hole, same as what happened to the iris in A Matter Of Time.
                    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
                      The Shield, because we've seen the iris destroyed so many times and i couldn't see a shield being destroyed like that. But the Iris has an Advantage, it doesn't run on power so it can be closed manually
                      When have we ever seen the iris destroyed

Comment

Ya know im going to be on side of the Iris, its ALOT more reliable for one, if the power in atlantis goes then the stargate shield goes, the iris has manual control; in addition, they are EXACTLY that same, there is no difference in function between them, by thier very nature both cant have different 'speciallitys', the iris and the shield prevents reintegration, if either of them leak, then they should both technically be able fail...we just havent seen atlantis have particle beams and whatnot...also i dont think the shield will be able to handle temperature as well as the iris...so for me the iris was first and still going stronger.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by swifty
                          When have we ever seen the iris destroyed
                          In a matter of time it got sucked into a black hole. I 'd call that destroyed. I would also have been destroyed if Sokar had continued to heat it up.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

i dont think the shield would get sucked into the whole because the one in the ep where the tokra flee the gould invasion of revana the shield didnt do that
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
                              It has only been destroyed onces in "Matter of Time" which was season 1 (I think). That one was made out of Titanium.

The second iris was alot stronger and made out of Trinium.
                              An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Working...
                              X