PDA

View Full Version : What is the Doctor's Real Name?

TheAncient1
June 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM
We all know he must have an original name. So far he has been called, Doctor, Grandfather, and Professor. He has even been called "idiot" in Kinda. In the Armageddon Factor, the other Time Lord called him "Theta Sigma".

any ideas?

Flyboy
June 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
It has been proposed that the Doctor's real name is actually a string of Mathematical and Greek symbols. Theta-Sigma would be a shortening of his full name, just as Romana is merely a shortening. It is also proposed that "Who" could be the phonetic pronuncination of the first part of his name, who would explain the question mark on the outfit for the 4th-7th Doctor. Of course the latter is far less likely.

_WraithQueen_
June 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
i vote his name is bill :P

TheAncient1
June 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
In "Tooth and Claw" the Doctor identifies himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon" which, as most of us know, is Jamie from the 2nd Doctor. He also uses John Smith quite often. Madame de Pompudor from "Girl in the Fireplace" reads the Doctors mind and says something like, "your name is more than a secret".

Flyboy
June 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM
The doctor has referred to himself as being "more than just a timelord" during Sylvestor McCoy's tenure. It has been suggested in the novels that the Doctor actually is in his THIRD set of regenerations, and was originally known as "The Other" and was the third in the group of Rassilon and Omega.

IMForeman
June 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM
In the commentary for "The Girl in the Fireplace" Noel Clarke said he thinks it's Curtis. ;)

SGalisa
June 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I thought at one point in historic-classic time, "the Doctor" said his name wasn't easy for humans to pronounce... So, he's always been known on earth as "the Doctor".

As he told the male secretary in the "Boom Town" episode, Margaret {another alien human in disguise} would remember him as "the Doctor".
..."just the Doctor"... she'll know who he is... ;)

...yes, there was speculation that Colin Baker's question marks on his collar eluded to the Doctor's *true* identity. :p
from my knowledge, and that includes all of the DrWho magazines I had scoured thru at the time... never did find out what it meant... I wonder if Colin had not been so abruptly removed from the role, if we'd ever find out the real answer...

Flyboy
June 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I thought at one point in historic-classic time, "the Doctor" said his name wasn't easy for humans to pronounce... So, he's always been known on earth as "the Doctor".

As he told the male secretary in the "Boom Town" episode, Margaret {another alien human in disguise} would remember him as "the Doctor".
..."just the Doctor"... she'll know who he is... ;)

...yes, there was speculation that Colin Baker's question marks on his collar eluded to the Doctor's *true* identity. :p
from my knowledge, and that includes all of the DrWho magazines I had scoured thru at the time... never did find out what it meant... I wonder if Colin had not been so abruptly removed from the role, if we'd ever find out the real answer...
Close, but a little off. The question marks were on Tom Bakers collar from "The Leisure Hive" onwards, and they subsequently apeared in the same place on the 5th and 6th Doctor. McCoy had them all over his jumper and as the handle for his umbrella. As I previously mentioned, The Doctor hinted to Davros that he was more than just a time lord. It was in fact McCoy's tenure that was supposed to run with the whole "Who is the doctor *really*?" sort of thing. Of course it was cancelled, and now we will never know. I am however in favour of his name being a string of Greek letters and mathematical symbols, the first two being Theta and Sigma. Bearing in mind the Doctor's calling card also bears a question mark and lots of these symbols:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Doctorcallingcard.jpg

Whether in Gallifreyan pronunciation the beginning is read as "Who" is unknown. It's possible, which would mean the Doctor's question marks on his clothes were more him being ironic than anything else... but i rather hope not.

Darkseid
June 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
...Of course, we can't forget the fact that he was called 'Doctor Who' in "The War Machines".

Of course, that was just a mistake.....

I always theorized that the question marks on his lapel was more of a family crest then anything else. Kind of like the big 'S' on Superman's chest...

...just something I've kicked around over the years...

Metarock Sam
June 8th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Some interesting theories areound here. I like them. Eveen though I ken about the Doc being called Theat Sigma and the Other before. What about Time's Champion ??

creed462
June 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Mr. Spock. ;)

really, it's one of the mysteries of the show, and why we keep watching

Scoobing
June 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Very cool theories and ideas, and some trivia from old eps. Unfortunately I don't think it's ever going to be revealed, because it's a fundemental aspect of the show, more than just being the title, it seems to be part of the mystery and intrigue of the show. If we did ever find out, it would be lost, and a very important part of the show would be gone. Same with Baltar and the Number Six in BSG, if we ever found out what she really was, it would be a let down.

The intrigue of a question is often far more satisfying than the answer - ME, JUST NOW.

:)

Rowana
June 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
The intrigue of a question is often far more satisfying than the answer - ME, JUST NOW.

Very true! My mother and I love discussing who the Doctor truly is. It's her oppinion that he is either Rassilon or some kind of descendent. Either way I think he is more than just a regular Time Lord. We may never know. ^_^ That's what makes it so fun!

Incidently, Jamie was the one who first came up with calling him John Smith. In Wheel in Space the Doctor is unconcious when they arrive. When they ask his name, Jamie says the first thing he can think of...Dr. John Smith! Just a fun fact for everyone. :)

Naonak
June 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I reckon he's called Jack - heroes are always called Jack...

Scoobing
June 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
He does seem to suit a Jack actually, whoever is playing him.

Commander Ivanova
June 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM
In the Armageddon Factor, the other Time Lord called him "Theta Sigma".

any ideas?

Perhaps that IS his name :S

creed462
June 9th, 2006, 10:00 AM
No it was a nick name, Thinking about he is the Doctor nothing else says it better

burn out
July 4th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I think he's called Tom Baker.

Jonzey
July 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Themoniastoris Doctorianaz, but he shortened it.

yaaayoubetcha
July 4th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Zachary.

AyanEva
July 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I really only registered just so I could post to this thread (I've been reading for a couple of days, though). I swear that during a 5th Doctor episode an old classmate of the Doctor's called him "Pete." The Doctor then told the guy to stop calling him "Pete" and to please call him "Doctor." They were in a dungeon (what else is new?) and this other guy was a total loser and hadn't really made Time Lord status, although he was Gallifreyan. Er, the Master may have been somewhere in there but I could just be making that part up. I remember the name because I thought it was funny that the Doctor's name was "Pete" and he was played by a "Peter."

Does anyone else remember this episode at all? I'm on the fence regarding whether or not "Pete" is actually the Doctor's name or if the guy was just randomly calling him that. At any rate, the Doctor seemed a bit irritated by the name.

AyanEva

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
July 14th, 2006, 08:34 AM
There was a Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) story called The Armageddon Factor (Season 16) in which the Doctor gets temporarily trapped in a dungeon/cave with Drax, an old classmate from Gallifrey.

Drax called him Thete, short for Theta Sigma, a nickname he used in school.

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol (Season 25).

The Master was not in The Armageddon Factor.

AyanEva
July 14th, 2006, 01:45 PM
There was a Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) story called The Armageddon Factor (Season 16) in which the Doctor gets temporarily trapped in a dungeon/cave with Drax, an old classmate from Gallifrey.

Drax called him Thete, short for Theta Sigma, a nickname he used in school.

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) also referred to this nickname in The Happiness Patrol (Season 25).

The Master was not in The Armageddon Factor.

*sits in confusion and wonders just how many episodes she's managed to mix up and jumble into one screwed up memory* Wow, I'm talented. :S

"Thete" would make much more sense than "Pete"- the "Pete" thing totally had me confused and I couldn't figure out where people were getting "Thete" from. Well, at least I correctly remembered the classmate bit! I'll blame the rest of it on the fact that I was about 12-14 when I last watched that episode. :o

Thanks for the explanation, the whole name thing is making a bit more sense now. As atonement for my idiocy, here's some fun stuff to mull over:

Theta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta)

Sigma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma)

Who knows if it means anything but it's fun to ponder.

*goes back to lurking*

AyanEva

Pigeon
July 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
...Of course, we can't forget the fact that he was called 'Doctor Who' in "The War Machines".
Got to love Martin Clunes for screwing that up :-p

July 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
*sits in confusion and wonders just how many episodes she's managed to mix up and jumble into one screwed up memory* Wow, I'm talented. :S

"Thete" would make much more sense than "Pete"- the "Pete" thing totally had me confused and I couldn't figure out where people were getting "Thete" from. Well, at least I correctly remembered the classmate bit! I'll blame the rest of it on the fact that I was about 12-14 when I last watched that episode. :o

Thanks for the explanation, the whole name thing is making a bit more sense now. As atonement for my idiocy, here's some fun stuff to mull over:Don't be so hard on yourself.
Don't worry...we won't penalize you or anything for not remembering.

Besides, the good news is that The Armageddon Factor is out on DVD individually (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067FPK/qid=1152938117/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-5826461-2483228?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance&n=130) or as part of the Key to Time boxset (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067FPE/qid=1152938117/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5826461-2483228?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance&n=130).

Feel free to come out of lurkdom anytime.
And you can PM me any questions about Doctor Who that you'd like.
I don't mind answering questions.

White Knight
July 14th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I reckon he's called Jack - heroes are always called Jack...
Specifically, most male hero characters have a name starting with 'J'. Off the top of my head I can think of James Bond, Jack Sparrow, Jack Bauer, John Sheppard, James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Jason Bourne, Jack O'Neill, Jayne Cobb, John MaClaine...

As for the Doctor's name...I keep coming back to that line in Girl in the Fireplace:

REINETTE: Doctor... Doctor who? It's more than just a secret, isn't it?

When asked about this line, the episode's writer Stephen Moffat said that he believes the Doctor's real name is associated with some deep, dark secret from his past, which is why he doesn't tell it to even his closest Companions.

That got me thinking. We know that eons ago the Doctor left Gallifrey in a 'borrowed' TARDIS to travel the universe in much the manner that he does now, doing good and fighting evil. He was considered a renegade amongst the Time Lords, but that worked to everyone's advantage since the Doctor could perform the occasional task for them as a NOC and in return the Time Lords would (for the most part) turn a somewhat blind eye to the Doctor's activities.

There were a few other Time Lord renegades running around the Universe, but the most well-known (besides the Doctor) is the Master. The Master wanted to rule the Universe and crush the Doctor, his hated enemy, as well as the Time Lords.

What if... what if the Doctor is the Master? We know that during a Time Lord's regenatation they can develop amnesia, like what happened in the Doctor Who telemovie in 1996. What if the Master went through a regeneration and developed permenant amnesia and, as a result, a more benevolant personality? What if he learned of the things that he'd done and, with his new outlook on life, was horrified and mortified by it? What if he resolved to try and make right as much as he could within to Universe to atone for all the things that he'd done, and began by getting rid of his name and original title and instead adopting a title that would convey his newfound purpose of healing both the universe and his own sins? And what if the reason that he mostly avoids Gallifrey is because he doesn't want to chance anyone figuring out his true identity and having him punished?

No?

Ah well, it was just a theory.

Flyboy
July 15th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Good with the exception of the following facts:

The Doctor and Master attending college together.

The Master got sucked into the Eye of Harmony.

Specter
July 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
An excellent story on the Doctor's background is Lungbarrow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ebooks/lungbarrow/index.shtml). And yes it finally gives his name and a few more nick-names (probably non-canonical but the closest one to it).

White Knight
July 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
The Master got sucked into the Eye of Harmony.
Didn't he just get sucked into the Eye's relay on the TARDIS?

Cam_Mitchell
July 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
i vote his name is bill :P

nooo way bill is soo much better lol. I never think we will ever know his real name.

--Gaz--

Admiral Mappalazarou
July 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM
What is the Doctor's real name...?

Isn't it obvious?

It's Timmy Fiddle.

I thought everyone knew that...

Pharaoh Atem
July 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
homer

Darkstar
July 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
His name is "Nng" the allminghty and powerful "Nng"!!!!

No ok then do better than that lol :D

Admiral Mappalazarou
July 30th, 2006, 10:18 AM
The Doctor's name is 'Combine Harvester 0 - 45'

AyanEva
August 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
How much fun would it be if the Doctor's name was Zaphod Beeblebrox? *snerk* That's why his name is so secretive- the TARDIS is really the Heart of Gold in an improbable form and the "Doctor" is still on the run from the authorities. :D

AyanEva

Flyboy
August 5th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Hence him knowing Arthur Dent.... sneaky.

AyanEva
August 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Hence him knowing Arthur Dent.... sneaky.

Hah! We've totally caught on to him! And blowing up a planet is definitely something Zaphod would do.

AyanEva

IMForeman
August 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
How much fun would it be if the Doctor's name was Zaphod Beeblebrox? *snerk* That's why his name is so secretive- the TARDIS is really the Heart of Gold in an improbable form and the "Doctor" is still on the run from the authorities. :D

AyanEva

And that's why before the Ninth Doctor regenerated he said "I might have two heads..."

AyanEva
August 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
And that's why before the Ninth Doctor regenerated he said "I might have two heads..."

*dies laughing* For some reason that's about the funniest thing I've read all day.

I'm easily amused and I think I need more sleep. :D

AyanEva

gaelicdragon
August 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I think we should all realize that we aren't gonna know what his name is. That's part of his character. Any time when he's refered to by another name is probably just the writers f**king up. Sci-fi writers are notorious for that you know.

Starbuck
August 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I think the whole point is that we aren't supposed to know his name. It makes it more mysterious.

But nevermind that. I hereby name him Steve.

:P

Gilmour
August 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Gilmour.

It's a good way to go tbh.

AyanEva
August 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Any time when he's refered to by another name is probably just the writers f**king up. Sci-fi writers are notorious for that you know.

And I always found that odd because the fans manage to keep everything straight, one way or another.

AyanEva

deadman
August 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I know what his name is, and it is The'ogymusd'cat'si Doctor'ygstf'tsgy Which is impossible to pronounce, so he goes by The Doctor.

orii7
September 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
I looked at The Doctor's Calling Card and so far, the words "WhoTheta" fits in the first line at the top of the Calling Card but "Sigma" doesnt fit in the second line. It needs 4 more letters.

BTW The Doctor's name is 38-syllables long. Its said in "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"

Lord Shiva
September 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM
We all know he must have an original name. So far he has been called, Doctor, Grandfather, and Professor. He has even been called "idiot" in Kinda. In the Armageddon Factor, the other Time Lord called him "Theta Sigma".

any ideas?

His name is Who.

lexa
September 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I looked at The Doctor's Calling Card and so far, the words "WhoTheta" fits in the first line at the top of the Calling Card but "Sigma" doesnt fit in the second line. It needs 4 more letters.

BTW The Doctor's name is 38-syllables long. Its said in "Fathers, Friends and Other Objects of Hate"
Not necessarily on the fit. Think of Japanese, they write the syllables as a single symbol rather several. In Japanese, "shi" is 1 symbol, while we write it with 3 symbols in English. Plus, "who" can be written phonetically as "hu". The calling card is not long enough for "one symbol = one syllable". But oh, well. Keep the suggestions coming. :)

ps
God, I'm a geek. My ride is waiting for me to finish this crap. :o

orii7
September 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Like I say, ya never know. But you could be right about that.

but maybe all of those lines on his Calling Card make 38 syllables?

deadman
September 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
His name is Carl Rove.

Drizzt Do'Urden
September 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I think it's Shmiddiymenjensen! :sheppard:

Night Marshal
September 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have always liked the idea of the doctor having no name that it has somehow been last to the ages. However if it were to be uncovered I would like his Grandaughter to come back into the show and be the one who tells us what it is. It was hinted at last season and of all the time lords to come back it seem fiting that she be found first.

orii7
September 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I remember that in a Bernice Summerfield New Adventures book, it was stated that Irving Braxiatel (The owner of The Braxiatel Collection) was The Doctor's brother. Thus, meaning that The Doctor's last name is Braxiatel so its Who Braxiatel.

That is what I thought of after loooking up and piecing things together.

But nobody has to believe me, since I feel hated at GateWorld Forums :(

gatebuster64
October 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM
maybe his name is a pun, his first name is The, his last name is Doctor

Flyboy
October 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I remember that in a Bernice Summerfield New Adventures book, it was stated that Irving Braxiatel (The owner of The Braxiatel Collection) was The Doctor's brother. Thus, meaning that The Doctor's last name is Braxiatel so its Who Braxiatel.

That is what I thought of after loooking up and piecing things together.

Why do you feel hated?

Oreo
October 15th, 2006, 07:00 AM
His real name is Bob Smith.

Oreo
October 15th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Wah Wah, cry me a river.

No one is more hated than me because I was one of the few extrememly happy when they canceled SG-1 and renewed Atlantis.

Flyboy
October 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Leave the guy alone Oreo. Maybe you were hated because you have a bad attitude, not because you were happy that SG1 was cancelled.

If Orii7 feels hated, then theres a problem.

Oreo
October 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM
But it's fine I feel hated? :rolleyes:

My attitude was fine, some of the freaks in the threads need medical help.

October 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
But it's fine I feel hated? :rolleyes:Flying Officer Bennett didn't say that. He said the following....

Leave the guy alone Oreo. Maybe you were hated because you have a bad attitude, not because you were happy that SG1 was cancelled.

If Orii7 feels hated, then theres a problem.He was only offering an alternative theory to the negative reaction you think you received.

No one is more hated than me because I was one of the few extrememly happy when they canceled SG-1 and renewed Atlantis.I really can't speak to whether or not you had an attitude on the issue of SG-1 being cancelled.
If you displayed the same level of sensitivity there as you have here, I'm sure people liked you as much as I do.

Wah Wah, cry me a river.That's the kind of sensitivity I was talking about.

My attitude was fine, some of the freaks in the threads need medical help.Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm at a complete loss as to why anyone would hate you, Oreo.

orii7
October 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Well I feel hated because I really feel it when I post here. It has been a little bad (now from what I have read on this thread coming from Oreo, it has gotten worse. Sorry Oreo) so I have "escaped" for some time and went to another Forum (DARK SEA, an Ecco video game research site) and that was ok a bit but you guys act better than the guys at DARK SEA.

back on topic, from what I have collected so far, Irving Braxiatel (it has been confirmed) is The Doctor's brother so that means that The Doctor's last name is "Braxiatel", his name is 38-syllables long (Fathers, Friends and other objects of Hate, short story), the first syllable is 'Who' (The Ribos Operation, as far as I can remember) so it's "Who Braxiatel" but I haven't read 'Lungbarrow' yet and I heard that the book has some insight or info on what The Doctor's name is...sorta.

More most likely coming soon.

Then he inputs a disc erasing me & the info about his name off the internet as if it never even existed (ending of 'World War III' episode of "Doctor Who") :P

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 26th, 2006, 03:16 AM
He's called Gary. Gary Doctor.

~Benjamin~
October 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM
He's called Gary. Gary Doctor.

Gazza ? nah i think they will never reveal his name because if they do why now? why not seasons back when the producers thought the show got cancelled ? they wont reveal his name thats my thought :D

Locutus_Of_Borg
October 27th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Well theres been heaps of possible names, from the first episode on through to Doomsday, i think its been part of the history of the show to keep throwing us off and then finding out another possible answer to it, but once we think its that name, we'll have another crack about what his name could be

Locutus_Of_Borg
October 27th, 2006, 02:33 AM
wait a second, i know i already posted but wth, maybe they don't want us to know it because he will end up being some super crazy a** superhero or ancient God or something, u know what i mean, or am i just completly off, because who knows, they may make an episode where he needs to create the universe, in order to save it, like a paridox, HE'S GOD!!!!
no that just on of my crazy no point or physical evidence ideas because i like to think about nothing useful

Admiral Mappalazarou
October 27th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Gregg?

Tracker
October 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I really like the idea of The Doctor's name being a string of math symbols. Here on Earth, our names have meanings (i.e. 'Margaret' means 'pearl'), so why wouldn't a Gallifreyan name have the same cultural meanings?

Gregg??
As in House? Ohhhh my. Dr. House a Time Lord. Now that's a creepy thought. ;)

orii7
October 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM
The Doctor has been through alot before his exile so he will probably never ever reveal it unless somebody actually gets it out of him or his last words when he dies for good, will be his actual name?

I dont know, it depends. But I have worked it out a bit.

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
November 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
The Doctor's name is kinda like the 9th Chevron. =D

Maybe his name is the 9th Chevron.

ZzAmy
November 8th, 2006, 06:26 AM
It's BOB, Dr. Bob.

Geesh, I knew this already.:P

mckaychick
November 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM
no its steve

NIKIN
November 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Perhaps that IS his name :S

well, I think that is a nick name as Omega was a nickname given to a timelod as he got the lowest grade at the academy, omega, and the doctor got 51% on hi second attempt, hence hy he got 2 names

I think his name is just Doctor, although he says to the master that he l,ikes to be known as masterm implying it isn't his name

IMForeman
November 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards. But Steven Moffat responded to that one:

Bit of a rubbish punishment, though, isn't it? I mean if I'd broken the cardinal rule of all, erm, human writers, and I was hauled off to court and they bellowed from on high, "Henceforth you shall no longer be called Steven" I'd be thinking, phew, not so bad, got off with a warning and a bit of altered nomenclature, sorted.

The Writer

The guy makes me laugh...

Kal-El
August 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM
This was taken from www.internationalhero.co.uk

Aliases of the Doctor

Aliases: (used often or for prolonged periods of his life) The Doctor, Doctor John Smith, Merlin, Muldwych, the Ripper, the Sandman, Theta Sigma, the Valeyard;
(applied to him by others) the Dark One, Doctor Who, Eighth Man Bound, the Evergreen Man, the Evil One, He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned, the Ka Faraq Gatri, the Other, the Relic; the Savior, Snail, Thete, Time's Champion, Wormhole; by the Chinese he is sometimes called Wu (the Tiger, for his courage), sometimes Wu (the Fox, for his cunning), and most often Wu (He Who Tends to the Sick)
(mistaken for, and didn't bother correcting) the Abbot of Amboise, Commander John Ballard, Doc Holliday, the Examiner, Maximillian Petullian, Meglos, Salamander, Sir Reginald Styles, Zeus;
(Occasional / once off) Doctor Caligari, Doctor Galloway, Doctor James McCrimmon, Doctor Johann Schmidt, Doctor Jon Smythe, Doctor von Wer, the Great Wizard Qui Quae Quod, James Alistair Bowman, Lazarus; Lung Tau (the Dragon's Head), Mr Pendragon; the Savant; Vaughn Sutton.

Pretty Cool ha?

Maybe the Doctor should be known as Legion. :)

wise one
August 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
maybe his name is a anagram

from doctor john smith i got:

chid jo northmost
chid northmost jo
chirt dojo months
chirt dojos month
chirt month dojos
chirt months dojo
chirts dojo month
chirts month dojo
chondri josh mott
chondri jot moths
chondri jots moth
chondri moth jots
chondri moths jot
chondri mott josh
chord joint moths
chord joints moth
chord joist month
chord month joist
chord moth joints
chord moths joint
chords joint moth
chords moth joint
christom dot john
christom hond jot
christom john dot
christom john tod
christom jot hond
christom nth dojo
christom tod john
chromo ditt johns
chromo ditts john
chromo john ditts
chromo johns ditt
chromos ditt john
chromos john ditt
cohort john midst
cohort midst john
cornmoth dish jot
cornmoth dit josh
cornmoth hid jots
cornmoth josh dit
cornmoth josh tid
cornmoth jot dish
cornmoth jots hid
cornmoth tid josh
cornmoths hid jot
cornmoths jot hid
coth hindmost jor
coth jor hindmost

these sound hopefull

orii7
August 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM
This was taken from www.internationalhero.co.uk

Aliases of the Doctor

Aliases: (used often or for prolonged periods of his life) The Doctor, Doctor John Smith, Merlin, Muldwych, the Ripper, the Sandman, Theta Sigma, the Valeyard;
(applied to him by others) the Dark One, Doctor Who, Eighth Man Bound, the Evergreen Man, the Evil One, He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned, the Ka Faraq Gatri, the Other, the Relic; the Savior, Snail, Thete, Time's Champion, Wormhole; by the Chinese he is sometimes called Wu (the Tiger, for his courage), sometimes Wu (the Fox, for his cunning), and most often Wu (He Who Tends to the Sick)
(mistaken for, and didn't bother correcting) the Abbot of Amboise, Commander John Ballard, Doc Holliday, the Examiner, Maximillian Petullian, Meglos, Salamander, Sir Reginald Styles, Zeus;
(Occasional / once off) Doctor Caligari, Doctor Galloway, Doctor James McCrimmon, Doctor Johann Schmidt, Doctor Jon Smythe, Doctor von Wer, the Great Wizard Qui Quae Quod, James Alistair Bowman, Lazarus; Lung Tau (the Dragon's Head), Mr Pendragon; the Savant; Vaughn Sutton.

Pretty Cool ha?

Maybe the Doctor should be known as Legion. :)

Legion?? As in Legion from the Marvel Comics movie "Ghost Rider"??? :P

He isnt that bad but then again, he is 13 "diffrent people" (10 so far) so "Legion of Light" or "Legion of Wisdom" would be a good name for him :)

Kal-El
August 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM
No I meant Legion from the bible thingy

"My name is Legion, for we are many"

docballen
August 7th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I really like the idea of The Doctor's name being a string of math symbols. Here on Earth, our names have meanings (i.e. 'Margaret' means 'pearl'), so why wouldn't a Gallifreyan name have the same cultural meanings?

Were all presuming that his name is "The Doctor" (or "Doctor Who"). And by that I mean, that his name is the letters arranged so that in the English language it refers to "a medical professional". But that may be his name in Gallifreyan-- the letters arranged as "The Doctor" ( or, again, Doctor Who) might mean something totally different in native Gallifreyan.

My name is Brenda, and it means "flaming sword" or "torch". Now, in the Gallifreyan language, "Doctor Who" might mean "blessed by Rassilon" (or one of their old deities-- if you are of the opinion that the Doctor was one of the "big three" with Rassilon and Omega... then it wouldn't be that exactly), or "firstborn son", or "defender of faith", or "way hot cutie" (my defenition...:D), or "traveller" or anything that names can mean.

I always took the name "the Master" to mean that he wanted everyone to see and deem him "their" Master... or the Master of all things. (The Rani means "the red" but I forget in what language...)

Battera
August 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
The doctor's real name is David Tennant! :lol:

*waits*

What, no applause?

General David Niemi
August 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
His name os Frank Burns :D If your a M*A*S*H fan, you'll understand. :D

orii7
August 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
His name os Frank Burns :D If your a M*A*S*H fan, you'll understand. :D

Rofl! I watch that show, and if his name was Frank Burns, he would have Margret as his companion all the time and they would try their best to forget about other things and stay in the TARDIS making out.

Then that'll make The Master as Hawkeye Pierce and Davros as B.J. lol

BTW The Rani's name means "The Queen" in Hindi

creed462
August 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
You know it whould be cool if his grandaughter reappeared and gave his name

orii7
August 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Somebody already said that but, That would be great to have her reappear. But how or why?

And why would she reveal The Doctor's name? What good will it do for and to the Series and the mystery of The Doctor?

Ya never know. Besides, its a Sci-Fi show! Anything is possible! :)

General David Niemi
August 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Very nice Orii7. Bout the M*A*S*H thing.

Anyway I have figured his name out. It's... Gumpy.

orii7
August 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Very nice Orii7. Bout the M*A*S*H thing.

Anyway I have figured his name out. It's... Gumpy.

Gumpy? ya mean Forest Gump? :P

Merlin's_Legacy
August 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
You know, if you really think about it, the word "Doctor" has several meanings in our language. One who heals the sick, One who is educated to the highest possible level, and colloquially as one who makes repairs. I'd say "The Doctor" is all of those things. We saw him heal the sick/wounded in The Doctor Dances. He knows pretty much everything there is to know about almost every subject. He has phenomenal genetic knowledge, and he travels through time setting things right that went wrong. (Maybe his name is Sam Beckett... We know HE never returned home and the leaping does swiss-cheese one's memory. :D ) But then we have the example of "The Master" Master = one who rules, one who is superior to others... Maybe Time Lord names/designations are either given or chosen based on the person's characteristics and they just don't transfer well into our language. Time Lords are sort of the Gallifreyan Elites, and they are Tardis Pilots. Maybe "The Doctor" and "The Master" are English translations of the Time Lord equivalent of call signs like "Maverick" and "Ice Man".

Remember what The Doctor said about the Carrionites... Names have power. Once you know somethings true name, you have power over it. If "The Doctor" truly was "The Other" then his true name would be an incredible source of power for any who knew it, thus the girl in the fireplace telling him that his name was "more than a secret". It's entirely possible that The Doctor doen't even consciously remember his true name anymore given all that he has been through.

ecchi
September 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
When Roger Delgado was still alive, the plan was to revel that he and The Doctor were brothers, but this was shelved when RD died. I have always sort of assumed that they had an entire back story worked out to go with this, as not even JNT would have thrown in a "oh by the way, he's my brother" type line, let alone the production team back in Delgado's day. I would guess that the 'Theta Sigma' thing was left over from then, may have been intended as his name, or the start of it, or how it translates into English, or whatever. They may have even been going to give us the full story.

As to the theory offered somewhere that he 'was someone evil' before he was The Doctor, that would tie in with the fact that he has had more than 12 regenerations (Brain Of Morbius).

However reading this thread, and the suggestion that his name is a "deep dark secret, so dreadful that he will never speak it", plus someone's theory that heroes names always begin with J, I guess his real name is John Nathan Turner. ;)

P.S. don't you just love Google. I was not sure how to spell Morbius, but was fairly sure that my attempt, Morbious, was wrong, so I typed "Brain Of Morbious" into Google and got back;
Did you mean: "Brain Of Morbius"
Great tool, not just for searches (they also email me links to all new news articles on Dr Who and Torchwood every day).

Cycrow
September 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Specifically, most male hero characters have a name starting with 'J'. Off the top of my head I can think of James Bond, Jack Sparrow, Jack Bauer, John Sheppard, James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Jason Bourne, Jack O'Neill, Jayne Cobb, John MaClaine...

and of course, the 2 main leads in Babylon 5, John Sheridon and Jeffery Sinclair

dragongild
January 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM

any ideas?

The Doctor's "real" name in the television series is Peter Sigma. His real name is revealed to viewers in "The Armageddon Factor: Part I" (1979), when Tom Baker played the Doctor. In that episode, an old school chum reveals that the Doctor's name is Peter Sigma, and calls him "Pete" several times in the episode. I just watched that episode again today. This information also is in the Internet Movie Data Base.

memnarch
January 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
There's a conversation between the Doctor and the Master in one of the last three episodes of series 3 that I think provides a plausible explanation about Time Lord names:

The Master: Doctor.
The Doctor: Master.
The Master: I like it when you use my name.
The Doctor: You chose it. Psychiatrist's field day.
The Master: As you chose yours. The man who makes people better, how sanctimonious is that?

It seems like both of them chose their names. Whether or not they had names given to them by their parents beforehand is anybody's guess but if they aren't given names at birth, perhaps they only get names after their initiations. It seems to fit, at least as far as the Master's concerned. If his insanity began after looking into the vortex, then the name "Master" probably came afterwards. Either that or his parents had really high hopes for his future...

The fact that the Doctor chose to be known as someone who makes people better is certainly fitting with his personality. It's not as if he does much medicinal doctoring. Rather he travels the universe fixing things. But not just "things" but people too. If he just wanted to fix things, he might be called the Tailor or the Repairman. Rather, the fact that he makes people feel better and inspires them to do further greatness is what makes him the Doctor.

And I just looked down at Merlin's_Legacy's post and realized it's similar to mine. I realize both of our ideas are similar, but they're different enough that I'm still posting this since it adds to the conversation. Cheers.

ecchi
January 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Doctor's "real" name in the television series is Peter Sigma. His real name is revealed to viewers in "The Armageddon Factor: Part I" (1979), when Tom Baker played the Doctor. In that episode, an old school chum reveals that the Doctor's name is Peter Sigma, and calls him "Pete" several times in the episode. I just watched that episode again today. This information also is in the Internet Movie Data Base.

No, I'm pretty sure it is Theta Sigma he calls him, and Then "Thete", not "Pete" later on.

dragongild
January 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it is Theta Sigma he calls him, and Then "Thete", not "Pete" later on.

Part of the problem is that the actor playing Drax was doing that 'orrible accent, and not doing it very well. A couple of the references sound more like "Feet" than "Pete", but one of them very clearly sounds like "Pete", and in the very first one, when he opens the door in the wall and first sees the Doctor, he very clearly exclaims, "Peter Sigma!".

I have the "Armageddon Factor" episode on TiVo, as Maryland Public Television has been re-running the Tom Baker series lately. My two sons and I have been going over every scene with the Doctor and Drax very thoroughly, and we all have come to the same conclusion - that he is actually saying "Peter" and "Pete".

Coincidentally, I subsequently searched on "Peter Sigma" and immediately found it in the "Internet Movie Data Base", for whatever it's worth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0562892/trivia

Although, truthfully, the IMDB could be wrong. I'd like for Tom Baker to weigh in on the issue. :)

ecchi
January 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Coincidentally, I subsequently searched on "Peter Sigma"
Yes, but if you do a Google search for +"Theta Sigma" +"Dr Who" you get over a thousand entries, if you search for +"Peter sigma" +"Dr Who" you get only two results, one is on a message board where most posts say it is "Theta Sigma", and the other one is this thread!

Madeleine
January 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Theta Sigma was what he was called, it probably wasn't his name though.

orii7
January 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Theta Sigma was what he was called, it probably wasn't his name though.

Yep, its THETA SIGMA not PETER SIGMA or PETE. Although I have "The Key To Time" series on DVD, I still havent seen "The Armageddon Factor" yet :mckay:

It was his Time Lord School nickname (I think it was Prydon Academy) and "Theta Sigma" are Greek Numerical Letters (or something. I might have gotten it wrong)

IMForeman
January 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The University Nickname is definitely Theta Sigma. The Doctor confirms this in The Happiness Patrol.

The Signal
January 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I still think they should stay clear of his name in the series. "Doctor" is all we need to know him as (though I'd quite like them to use, when dealing with The Master for instance, Theta Sigma, every so often). Revealing his real name would remove part of the enigma surrounding him, if you ask me.

orii7
January 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I agree with you. Maybe they could end the Series with a movie where The Doctor dies (on his 13th incarnation) and he finally reveals his name?

It would be good. Maybe it will be a final confrontation between The Doctor, The Master, The Daleks and The "True, Silver, Mondas" not "False, Steel, Alternate Universe Earth" Cybermen? The Doctor's wife Patience will return and reveal his name?

Anyways I truely believe that the Past Doctor Adventures book called "The Infinity Doctors" is about The Doctor/The Other before he left Gallifrey.

~Benjamin~
January 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
His name is of course... John Smith

the Tardis always must have a Smith...

~Benjamin~
January 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
John Smith!

Thats his name!

ecchi
February 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM
John Smith!

Thats his name!
That is an alias he uses, not his real name.

RiderChronos
May 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards.

This would actually make sense because as it has been shown in the episode where the doctor and martha meet shakespeare, a name has power. So maybe the removal of The Doctor's true name the past, present and future is a greater punishment then we would think.

RiderChronos
May 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
The University Nickname is definitely Theta Sigma. The Doctor confirms this in The Happiness Patrol.

I do know that Sigma means "Wisdom" in Greek
and I believe Theta stands for like "Spirit" I'm not to sure.

So if I am right, the Doctor was called "Wise Spirit" in school.

Just a thought of course.

Gate-builder
May 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I reckon he might have hidden it himself so it couldn't be used against him somehow. We know that his real name is hidden somewhere in the medusa cascade, and that there is a rift there which he sealed single handed. Maybe he sealed his name inside the rift or something.

Fenrir Foxz
May 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ancient Egyptians believed in the power of a name and there is a myth involving Ra and his secret name as the source of his power...

...Names in Ancient Egypt were very mystic and powerful. It was thought that if you inscribed your enemies' name on something, then broke it, that enemy would either be afflicted, or possibly die. If you knew a name you had power. In the same respect, using a name could be beneficial.

I believe the Doctor chose to hide his true name...

RiderChronos
May 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I reckon he might have hidden it himself so it couldn't be used against him somehow. We know that his real name is hidden somewhere in the medusa cascade, and that there is a rift there which he sealed single handed. Maybe he sealed his name inside the rift or something.

Maybe, just maybe, bare with me now, maybe he sealed the rift by using the power of his name hence some how sealing it within the medusa cascade rift.

The Girl With The Long Hair
July 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Very cool theories and ideas, and some trivia from old eps. Unfortunately I don't think it's ever going to be revealed, because it's a fundemental aspect of the show, more than just being the title, it seems to be part of the mystery and intrigue of the show. If we did ever find out, it would be lost, and a very important part of the show would be gone. Same with Baltar and the Number Six in BSG, if we ever found out what she really was, it would be a let down.

i recon that the doctor will reveal his name on the last episode. It will be like...the ultimate finale of the program.

July 12th, 2008, 01:36 AM
The thing i dont get is...in the library River Song whispered to The Doctor his true name. So why did she whisper when The Doctor has already revealed it in a previous episode as Theta Sigma? Any answers?

July 12th, 2008, 01:42 AM
The Doctor chose his name because he likes to help people hence the name DOCTOR. Its just like the Master. He called himself the Master because he wanted to take control of the Earth. And also, if he had his name taken away as a punishment, did the same happen to the master?

Madeleine
July 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
The thing i dont get is...in the library River Song whispered to The Doctor his true name. So why did she whisper when The Doctor has already revealed it in a previous episode as Theta Sigma? Any answers?

I don't think Theta Sigma was ever his name, just a thing he was called. A Uni nickname or something.

i recon that the doctor will reveal his name on the last episode. It will be like...the ultimate finale of the program.

Oh, I hope not. There shouldn't ever BE a last episode or an ultimate finale. Even if they do axe the show, there shouldn't be any thing so final that it could prevent the next generation of TV producers from reviving it 16 years later :)

July 12th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the explanation, the whole name thing is making a bit more sense now. As atonement for my idiocy, here's some fun stuff to mull over:

Theta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta)

Sigma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma)

Who knows if it means anything but it's fun to ponder.

*goes back to lurking*

AyanEva

Following the links to Theta, i found the thing about the cross in the circle. Anyway, also Mr.Saxon used the same symbol but in a square. Its just a theory but it might have something to do with it. Im probably just going off on some crazy idea when i cant think of anything else. Im just going by what you guys say as i havnt seen the old episodes :P

July 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I don't think Theta Sigma was ever his name, just a thing he was called. A Uni nickname or something.

Oh, I hope not. There shouldn't ever BE a last episode or an ultimate finale. Even if they do axe the show, there shouldn't be any thing so final that it could prevent the next generation of TV producers from reviving it 16 years later :)

well, the Doctor only has so many regenerations left. So when he runs out of them and dies again, the show will stop. What im hoping is that there will be another show based on the program and there will be a different timelord or something seeing as the show is so popular.

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 03:12 AM
well, the Doctor only has so many regenerations left. So when he runs out of them and dies again, the show will stop. What im hoping is that there will be another show based on the program and there will be a different timelord or something seeing as the show is so popular.
If the show is still getting the viewing figures it has now, it won't end when he runs out of regenerations, they will think of a story line save him.

And anyway, he is already up to regeneration 17 (see "The Brain of Morbius").

July 12th, 2008, 03:15 AM
John Smith!

Thats his name!

On the episode Midnight, the people told him to tell him his name and he said "John Smith" and then the people said "Your REAL name" and he doesnt answer. i think that means that John Smith isn't his name, just something to cover it up.

P-90_177
July 12th, 2008, 03:18 AM
On the episode Midnight, the people told him to tell him his name and he said "John Smith" and then the people said "Your REAL name" and he doesnt answer. i think that means that John Smith isn't his name, just something to cover it up.

Yes it is. In the classic seriesI believe he used it as his cover name when he was working with UNIT. I certainly remember the 3rd doctor saying his name was John Smith. But That is not his name. He basically just picked a name at random to use when he needed one.

July 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
This is kind of going off the subject a bit but seeing as Cathrine Tate's just gone then who's the companion? I hope martha comes back :P shes cool. And also, in 2010 its either Daniel Radcliff or James Nessbitt who's gonna play the Doctor. I think James Nessbitt with do a better job. Bye

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 03:53 AM
You should probably have started a new thread with this, but in that you didn't I'll reply here:

in 2010 its either Daniel Radcliff or James Nessbitt who's gonna play the Doctor. I think James Nessbitt with do a better job. Bye
No it's not. Radcliff was suggested on a DR Who site as a joke, and some other sites reported it as a fact, not realising it was a joke. And sorry to disappoint you about Nesbitt, but he was on a chat show last week, and when the host mentioned that he was the bookies favourite as the next Dr Who he looked suprised and replied "Really? Well I wouldn't put any money on it!"

who's the companion? I hope martha comes back

The smart money is on Martha replacing Tosh in Torchwood. I'm hoping that the doctor's next assistant is his daughter.

P-90_177
July 12th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Apparently in the next full series in 2010 the doctor will have 2 new companions. But that's by the by. Back to the subject in hand now.

Madeleine
July 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
well, the Doctor only has so many regenerations left.

I'm not sure there was ever anything in canon that limited a Time Lord's regenerations. The Masters were limited, but that may have been cos he was a criminal or something.

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure there was ever anything in canon that limited a Time Lord's regenerations.
It was mentioned more than once in the classic series.

The_Carpenter
July 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Apparently in the next full series in 2010 the doctor will have 2 new companions. But that's by the by. Back to the subject in hand now.

Really..... cool its about time :p

I'm not sure there was ever anything in canon that limited a Time Lord's regenerations. The Masters were limited, but that may have been cos he was a criminal or something.

It was mentioned more than once in the classic series.

Yep it was the Deadly Assassin... but when the time comes the production team will either ignore the limit, find something to overcome it...

I like the idea of 13 regenerating and Doctor 14 just going well that shouldnt of happened and carrying on as normal :p

July 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
The smart money is on Martha replacing Tosh in Torchwood. I'm hoping that the doctor's next assistant is his daughter.
My friend was telling me that Martha and Mickey are gonna be in Torchwood now. It makes sense cos at the end of Journey's End Martha and Mickey go with Jack. And yes, the Doctor's daughter would make a pretty good companion. The coming alive again thing will probably intwine with the next series and they will meet again. Just a guess.

July 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You should probably have started a new thread with this, but in that you didn't I'll reply here:

No it's not. Radcliff was suggested on a DR Who site as a joke, and some other sites reported it as a fact, not realising it was a joke. And sorry to disappoint you about Nesbitt, but he was on a chat show last week, and when the host mentioned that he was the bookies favourite as the next Dr Who he looked suprised and replied "Really? Well I wouldn't put any money on it!"

Bummer. So any idea who will play the 11th doctor?

P-90_177
July 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Bummer. So any idea who will play the 11th doctor?

There's always theories. But no major ones. David Tennant will still be the doctor for at least a little while longer though.

July 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
There's always theories. But no major ones. David Tennant will still be the doctor for at least a little while longer though.

It'll only be til 2010. Unless, that is, he signs that 3 yr contract which i dont think he will. or has he already?

July 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Aparently it was in the paper that they want it to be a woman doctor :O cool

P-90_177
July 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
It'll only be til 2010. Unless, that is, he signs that 3 yr contract which i dont think he will. or has he already?

Well apparently:

He's in half the episodes of the 2010 season but beyond that we just don't know cos they haven't been confirmed. So he may regenerate he may not at this point. If he does it will be the first time the Doctor would every regenerate in the middle of a season in the shows entire history.

July 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
According to my friend, the doctor is supposed to regenerate in March 2010

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Aparently it was in the paper that they want it to be a woman doctor :O cool
Yeah, but that was RTD trying to be funny, he claimed that the next Doctor would be Amy Winehouse, but no one is going to hire someone that unreliable for an expensive show like Dr Who, they simply won't get completion insurance. Besides, filming won't start until late next year, and it is unlikely that Amy Winehouse will still be alive then!

Besides, it ain't his decision anymore, and I think that SM has more sense than that!

P-90_177
July 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
also I suspect the rumours about there being a woman doctor have more to do with...

The Doctor Donna.....

Than any real future Woman Doctor.

July 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah, but that was RTD trying to be funny, he claimed that the next Doctor would be Amy Winehouse, but no one is going to hire someone that unreliable for an expensive show like Dr Who, they simply won't get completion insurance. Besides, filming won't start until late next year, and it is unlikely that Amy Winehouse will still be alive then!

Besides, it ain't his decision anymore, and I think that SM has more sense than that!

hahaha! what makes you say that (that being amy being dead by then)? If it was a woman doctor then it could have been changed to the nurse lol but back to the subject of the name. According to this person he shortened his name but he chose the Doctor because he liked to help people or make them better or something.

July 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
also I suspect the rumours about there being a woman doctor have more to do with...

The Doctor Donna.....

Than any real future Woman Doctor.

Hmm...yeh that makes sense. But still, its nice to think there might be a woman doctor in the future.

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Tennant is under contract until the end of next year (although, of course, they are not obliged to use him, just pay him - they could fire him at any time and just pay him "garden time" for those episodes :) ). As to the year after that, Tennant's says that since the "management" is changing at the same time his contract runs out, RTD has not rehired him, as RTD obviously no longer has the authority to do so, and SM has not yet rehired him, because he has not actually taken over yet, so also does not have the authority to hire anyone. Tennant claims that he is as much in the dark as the rest of us, and that he too is waiting to see if he is still playing Dr Who!!!

Of course, he could be lying.

July 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Tennant is under contract until the end of next year (although, of course, they are not obliged to use him, just pay him - they could fire him at any time and just pay him "garden time" for those episodes :) ). As to the year after that, Tennant's says that since the "management" is changing at the same time his contract runs out, RTD has not rehired him, as RTD obviously no longer has the authority to do so, and SM has not yet rehired him, because he has not actually taken over yet, so also does not have the authority to hire anyone. Tennant claims that he is as much in the dark as the rest of us, and that he too is waiting to see if he is still playing Dr Who!!!

Of course, he could be lying.

Yeh he could be... I think he plays a good doctor. Good at humor and better than chris for sarcasim

ecchi
July 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
hahaha! what makes you say that (that being amy being dead by then)?

I wasn't being funny. She has emphysema that will kill her if she does not stop the drugs. She shows no sign of giving up the drugs. So it is unlikely in the extreme that she will still be alive in 2010.

July 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I wasn't being funny. She has emphysema that will kill her if she does not stop the drugs. She shows no sign of giving up the drugs. So it is unlikely in the extreme that she will still be alive in 2010.

Sorry. It sounded as if u were though. Bummer. I like her music.

July 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Any more theories on the docs name? Ive ran out :(

Madeleine
July 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Yep it was the Deadly Assassin... but when the time comes the production team will either ignore the limit, find something to overcome it...

Was it only the Deadly Assassin? That's one of the few pre-Romana eps I've seen (UK Gold repeated it not long ago) and I'm sure that it said the Master had used up his 12 regenerations, but I don't recall it saying why he only had 12: whether it was law and social convention, or a physical biological limit, or just that the Master, being a criminal, had had a limit placed on his existence.

Col.Foley
July 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I have been thinking of this topic a lot recently, with the wiki reference on Journey's End. Davros in that episode called him
The Destroyer of Worlds

So what if it is something that is shocking, dangerous, and a revelation. Something he is ultimatly afraid of, or ashamed of. Something that is well known to the universe, but a name that is a bringer of death. Which is why he called himself "The Doctor" Sort of like the Grim Reaper. Something that is surrounded by death, however is not the cause of it. But is associated with that death by the people who witness those events.
Which could be why he chose "The Doctor" The man who makes people better, as The Master said. Who knows, this could even be some sort of attonement. That last is unlikely. But The Doctor is a man with a lot of emotional baggage.

The_Carpenter
July 13th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Was it only the Deadly Assassin? That's one of the few pre-Romana eps I've seen (UK Gold repeated it not long ago) and I'm sure that it said the Master had used up his 12 regenerations, but I don't recall it saying why he only had 12: whether it was law and social convention, or a physical biological limit, or just that the Master, being a criminal, had had a limit placed on his existence.
Theres a mention in Shada about someone being on his last regeneration..... no number was given though... I haven't seen past Shada but so far its just The Deadly Assassin for the 13 regeneration limit

P.O.L.C.E1
December 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM

any ideas?

Right , From A Few Episodes , The Doctors Name Has Been Hidden - I Hve Worked Out His Real Name.

In '' The Planet Of The Odd '' The Ood Who Helped The Doctor & Donnah , Was Called Odd Sigma , Maybe That Hints A Clue - But His First Name Is Deffinantly Theat!

In '' The Lost Planet '' Rose Whispered 2 Words Into Donnahs Ear , They Were 'Bad Wolf' Maybe The 2 Words Were Another Hint.

In The Vashdanarada , That Girl - I Forgot Her Na,e , She Wispered 2 Words In His Ear!
But The Doctor Who Cast Are Stupid !!!
My Friend Is Deaf And Can Lip Read , The Words Are ........ Theet Sigmarous . As Far As He Can Work Out.

Thanks Anyway!

charlie shakey
December 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Nah his name is definitely not Themoniastoris Doctorianaz its completely different it would be similar name to The Master's real name of Kirloi so im thinkin that maybe his name is very similar to the Master's

razzel_daxxel
December 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Im 99% sure that 13 is the regeneration limit, however we know The Master is on his 15th.....this is becuase in "The Five Doctors" the time lords offer him a new regeneration cycle in exchange for his help. So there is a way for a time lord to get around the 13 rule, maybe the Doctor will find away around it as well!

December 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Im 99% sure that 13 is the regeneration limit, however we know The Master is on his 15th.....this is becuase in "The Five Doctors" the time lords offer him a new regeneration cycle in exchange for his help. So there is a way for a time lord to get around the 13 rule, maybe the Doctor will find away around it as well!A regeneration cycle enables 12 Regenerations and therefore 13 lives (Mawdryn Undead).
Apparently, the Time Lords have the ability to grant additional regeneration cycles,
but are likely reluctant to do so due to their taboo against immortality (The Five Doctors).

Kor
December 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
The time lords can do it, also the master does in the Keeper of Traken. I've not seen the story in over 2 decades but I think he could since he had some access to the energy the keeper of traken had access to and by also taking over Treemas's body as well. I'm not sure if this started a new cycle for him, or just granted him a new body.

RiderChronos
December 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM
The time lords can do it, also the master does in the Keeper of Traken. I've not seen the story in over 2 decades but I think he could since he had some access to the energy the keeper of traken had access to and by also taking over Treemas's body as well. I'm not sure if this started a new cycle for him, or just granted him a new body.

This actually only granted the Master a new body. Because before taking over the body of Tremas (anagram of the "Master") he was seen as a decaying wreck at the end of his thirteen and final life ("The Deadly Assassin 1976). After this the Master was usually seen as trying to extend his life, usually transferring from body to body. He even trying to take over the body of the Doctor in the 1998 Television movie, thus gaining his remaining regenerations, by using the "Eye of Harmony" in the TARDIS.

Even with his return in the 2005 series, I don't think the Time Lords gave the Master any regenerations. The reason I think this is because the when he was in the form of Professor Yana, he was injured as he was making his way to the TARDIS. He does regenerate, but I think that the combination of the TARDIS and the Doctor's severed hand, plus he was Galifreyan made it possible for him to regenerate. This may have also made it so he had the ability to regenerate again, but denied it when he lay in the Doctor's arms after beging shot.

Billz
December 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
According to this, his real name is Theta Sigma. Whether or not this was mentioned in the original series I am not sure but according to a couple of websites, its canon.

http://www.freewebs.com/stupidmajor/castcrew.htm

Kor
December 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I thought that was his nickname when he was at the time lord academy. Though I've not seen Armageddon Factor in a long time. I think Drax calls him that.

RiderChronos
December 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
According to this, his real name is Theta Sigma. Whether or not this was mentioned in the original series I am not sure but according to a couple of websites, its canon.

http://www.freewebs.com/stupidmajor/castcrew.htm

I think that is a link to a fan-fic site, so I wouldn't take it as "gospel"

pbellosom
January 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
I was watching Turn Left last night and the following theory came to me.

Throughout RTD's run we've been told that the Doctor's name is more than just a secret. Then look at Rose in Turn Left, she avoids the question of her name entirely and even the UNIT scientists don't know it (I would love to know what they refer to her as) finally when called on it she says "I've crossed too many different realities - trust me, the wrong word in the wrong place can change the entire causal nexus." Meaningless technobabble of course but the basic message seems to be, if her name is used in this universe then time gets screwed up. Not entirely sure why this would be the case but if it is the case with Rose in the Turnleftverse then it could just as well be the case with the Doctor in ours.

Coco Pops
January 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I was watching Turn Left last night and the following theory came to me.

Throughout RTD's run we've been told that the Doctor's name is more than just a secret. Then look at Rose in Turn Left, she avoids the question of her name entirely and even the UNIT scientists don't know it (I would love to know what they refer to her as) finally when called on it she says "I've crossed too many different realities - trust me, the wrong word in the wrong place can change the entire causal nexus." Meaningless technobabble of course but the basic message seems to be, if her name is used in this universe then time gets screwed up. Not entirely sure why this would be the case but if it is the case with Rose in the Turnleftverse then it could just as well be the case with the Doctor in ours.

That dosen't really make sense to me. Can you elaborate?

I mean in the TARDIS when the Doctor was regenerating after being shot Jack called her Rose.. So shouldnt' that have screwed something up?

Maybe his name is something classical like Melchizedek which is the Timelord from the musical Time

pbellosom
January 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
That dosen't really make sense to me. Can you elaborate?

I mean in the TARDIS when the Doctor was regenerating after being shot Jack called her Rose.. So shouldnt' that have screwed something up?

Maybe his name is something classical like Melchizedek which is the Timelord from the musical Time

I think it was only in the Turnleftverse not the normal one. It could mean nothing but it just seemed to jump out at me that Rose couldn't use her name in this universe while most the RTD era episodes seem to state that the Doctor can't use his in ours.

Coco Pops
January 26th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I think it was only in the Turnleftverse not the normal one. It could mean nothing but it just seemed to jump out at me that Rose couldn't use her name in this universe while most the RTD era episodes seem to state that the Doctor can't use his in ours.

That's just bizarre

pbellosom
January 26th, 2009, 04:25 AM
That's just bizarre

The theory? Or the fact that Rose can't say her name?

Coco Pops
January 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM
The theory? Or the fact that Rose can't say her name?

Both :)

That Rose couldn't say her name in our universe and that the Doctor cant' use his name here either.

gateship15
January 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM
i thought rose could use her name in the universe she was born so it doesn't course any damage thats why jack could say it here. as for th doctor i agree that it is possible that he can not say his name but he told a women in one of the other episodes his name because she told him his own name in order to get him to know who she was and trust her but i maybe wrong

Coco Pops
January 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM
i thought rose could use her name in the universe she was born so it doesn't course any damage thats why jack could say it here. as for th doctor i agree that it is possible that he can not say his name but he told a women in one of the other episodes his name because she told him his own name in order to get him to know who she was and trust her but i maybe wrong

No you are not wrong. That was River Song from "silence in the library" and she knew the Doctor but I think after he had a future regneration. And she knew him quite intimately by the fact she knows his real name..

Replicator Todd
January 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
His name is Bannakaffalatta! :P

Coco Pops
January 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
His name is Bannakaffalatta! :P

That would be funny...... But wasn't he the little cyborg that tried to get jiggy with Kylie?

gateship15
January 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
oo thanks for clearing that up coco pops

gateship15
January 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
That would be funny...... But wasn't he the little cyborg that tried to get jiggy with Kylie?

yes it was

Replicator Todd
January 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yup, I thought his name was awesome though....dunno why..

gateship15
January 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
i agree it was a fantastic name

VashtaNeradaInTheBooks
October 4th, 2009, 04:23 AM
maybe they don't want us to know it because he will end up being some super crazy a** superhero or ancient God or something, u know what i mean, or am i just completly off, because who knows, they may make an episode where he needs to create the universe, in order to save it, like a paridox, HE'S GOD!!!!

Just reading back through and I stumbled across this... I think it'd be really cool if he had to re-create the world because he went to the very beginning by accident (because of Captain Jack, just to bring back my favourite :)) and it turned out (paradoxially, or course) that he created the universe in the first place, (Aaand for a Sarah Jane Adventures crossover) and had to stop the Ancient lights from... yeah, that's as far as i've gotten. Still, it'd be really cool. Also, I liked the idea that he was the Other, hence more than just a time lord.
Wow, long rant.
(Many brackets)

Coco Pops
October 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Just reading back through and I stumbled across this... I think it'd be really cool if he had to re-create the world because he went to the very beginning by accident (because of Captain Jack, just to bring back my favourite :)) and it turned out (paradoxially, or course) that he created the universe in the first place, (Aaand for a Sarah Jane Adventures crossover) and had to stop the Ancient lights from... yeah, that's as far as i've gotten. Still, it'd be really cool. Also, I liked the idea that he was the Other, hence more than just a time lord.
Wow, long rant.
(Many brackets)

Can you explain all that again? LOL..... When did the Doc have to go back to the beginning of time because of Jack

Rudolph
October 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not too comfortable with the idea that the Doctor is the second coming of some great and ancient Time Lord hero. I much rather like the idea that he was mearly a scientist who just got utterly bored of the monotany of his homeworld and decided to just steal a TARDIS and go out there and have some fun.

That's not to say the mysteries behind him aren't fun to speculate on. He is a self proclaimed "more than just a Time Lord" who hints at being around during the time of Rassilon and Omega, but at the same time half-human. An enigma wrapped in a mystery, that's the Doctor.

On the subject of his name, I like to think that he really is called Who. WOTAN calls him by this name in 'The War Machines' and he also introduces himself as Doctor Von Wer in 'The Highlanders' (Doctor Von Wer being German for Doctor Who).

Either that or he's called Peter Sigma.

BerrySciFi
October 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think The Doctor's real name is DAVID TENNANT! (Sorry for the bad joke)

Charles
February 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Not sure what his real name is, but here's an interesting fact...

Doctor Who aired for the first time 5:15 pm (GMT) on 23 November 1963, on British television (BBC television). The initial broadcast was interrupted by the breaking news of the November 22 assassination of US President John F Kennedy.

I wonder how many other premiers of the regenerations of the Doctor sparked a famous death?

nx01a
February 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Floyd.

Replicator Todd
February 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Bob.

Pheonix
June 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Theta Sigma
In the Greek numerals, Theta looks like a H inside an O, and Sigma looks like a rotated W. "H" "O" "W". Rearrange them and they spell "WHO". Doctor Who!
(''') (^_^) (''')

Dr.4x4
October 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
his real name is Christoreslvdespovratorcovor De Lungborrow . gotta read books ppl dont belive me google the name

Zarius
October 31st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Theta Sigma
In the Greek numerals, Theta looks like a H inside an O, and Sigma looks like a rotated W. "H" "O" "W". Rearrange them and they spell "WHO". Doctor Who!
(''') (^_^) (''')

Theta Sigma is his fraternity nickname, not his real one

Zarius
October 31st, 2010, 10:28 AM
his real name is Christoreslvdespovratorcovor De Lungborrow . gotta read books ppl dont belive me google the name

The books have been contradicted by the teleivison series many times..on top of that there crap

Coco Pops
October 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
From another forum

Rob McBaar wrote at 2009-02-05 20:52:25
It should be added that his nickname has been severa times in the classic series as "Theta (or Theet) Sigma. Although there is no official ruling as the the current canonocity of the "Lungbarrow" New Adventure book, it should be noted that Lungbarrow was originally planned to be filmed as the episode that takes place directly before the Doctor Who television movie in the 90's. It was to describe the events leading up to The Doctor transporting the remains of The Master back to Gallifrey. Since it wasn't completed as an episode, we'll never know for sure how it fits the Canon now, but accourding to the to the book, Lungbarrow is indeed his "Family" name and is currently still the family name of his 44 cousins. The book decribes how Time Lords are not born as ordinary people are, because of a sterility curse put on their race. Instead they are fashioned from "Looms" from the remains of other Time Lords. In Lungbarrow, several of his cousins address him as "Wormhole". It can only be assumed this is a Nickname for him rather than his given name.

During the course of the story it is revealed that he was kicked out of the house and his true name was forbidden to be spoken when he announced he was going to become "A Doctor". Apparently being a mere Doctor was a shame to the household.

Also it's explained that in addition to Rassilon and Omega, there was a Third God-Time-Lord simply called 'The Other". When the Doctor was created in the "Loom of Lungbarrow", the majority of his genetic makeup came from "The Other".

Lungbarrow is no longer in print and hasn't been for years, making it sought after highly among fans. It can currently be read in it's entirety at the BBC official website.

Pharaoh Atem
October 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
chuck norris

HighLordPenegal
November 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
In the third series when he travels to Shakespearean England, Lilith the Carrionite tries to say his name but can't "And as for you, Sir Doctor! (points, expecting a reaction) Fascinating. There is no name. Why would a man hide his title in such despair?". Also in The Fires of Pompeii "Even the word "Doctor" is false. Your real name is hidden. It burns in the stars and in the heart of the cascade of Medusa herself."
And finally when The Doctor and Donna are in the library River Song whispers to The Doctor his real name. When River Song straps herself into the machine and The Doctor awakes he says "There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could...". I have talked to others about this and we have come up with some theories.
I think that the Doctor could only tell his name to someone who he absolutley and eternally loves, one who will spend an existence with him.

Billz
November 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Drew :)

Rep to whoever gets the joke first. :D

Coco Pops
November 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Here is something I don't get ......

In the past Tom Baker's Doctor said he has visited and knows Shakespeare and Leonardo Da Vinci yet when DT visits him he doesn't click even when he says he's the Doctor.....

pbellosom
November 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Here is something I don't get ......

In the past Tom Baker's Doctor said he has visited and knows Shakespeare and Leonardo Da Vinci yet when DT visits him he doesn't click even when he says he's the Doctor.....

Because though the Doctor has already met Shakespeare, Shakespeare has not yet met the Doctor. Time travel is cool like that

Coco Pops
November 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Because though the Doctor has already met Shakespeare, Shakespeare has not yet met the Doctor. Time travel is cool like that

So he hasn't even met the Tom Baker version yet you mean?

pbellosom
November 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
So he hasn't even met the Tom Baker version yet you mean?

That's the way I'd interpret it.

Clandestine
November 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
In the time it would take to pronounce one letter of his true name a trillion cosmoses would flare into existence and sink into night... no wait.. that's Nibbler from Futurama. :)

Coco Pops
November 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM
In the time it would take to pronounce one letter of his true name a trillion cosmoses would flare into existence and sink into night... no wait.. that's Nibbler from Futurama. :)

Oh I don't know...... maybe his name is like the Carrionites and mentioning it out loud carries power.

the doctors name
April 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
in one of the episodes amy pond tries to kiss pond and we know that river song is the doctors future wife well what if i told u a river always starts as a pond RIVER song,amy POND river song is amy pond from the future and river song is married to the doctor well if river is married to the doctor the girl always takes the mans name so we know now that the doctor last name is song the doctors first name we may never know his name is .......... song

Billz
April 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
in one of the episodes amy pond tries to kiss pond and we know that river song is the doctors future wife well what if i told u a river always starts as a pond RIVER song,amy POND river song is amy pond from the future and river song is married to the doctor well if river is married to the doctor the girl always takes the mans name so we know now that the doctor last name is song the doctors first name we may never know his name is .......... song

Okay, I know this is your first post here, and I want to go easy on you, but you have kind of started out with the proper occurence of a marriage, then you kind of "fudged" it up.

In most marriages, the wife takes the husbands last name. And in some marriages, the wife takes the last name of her husband, and also keeps her last name, making a combination of the two. The husband never takes a wifes last name. Well, I've never known that to happen so I don't know how accurate that is.

Anyway, to be honest, what we know of the Doctor's real name, is that he only tells it to people that he trusts so much, and in a certain situation, that to utter it would be to shake the very foundation of the Whoniverse.

If the show is still running past it's 50th anniversary though, and if we find that the Doctor's real name, after all the build-up from 1963 onwards, has been either simply Jim or God in the very last episode, whenever that may be, then I am going to be royally p*ssed off! :D

Coco Pops
April 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Another thing I only just realised / noticed. When Winston Churchill phones the Doctor instead he gets River Song....... She explains "the TARDIS is clever and must of rerouted the call to her" but hang on he was phoning the Doctor....... So why did the call go to her unless "she's the Doctor" but no they couldn't be that obvious could they? Anyway that scene has never been explained.

heatherhorne7
December 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I am watching the Doctor Who Marathon on the Space Channel. Happy Spacemas! And I was thinking what if the Doctor's Name is actually John Smith. Like The Doctor says his name is some very difficult confusing name but in actuality it is. That would be very Doctorish.

4thDoctor
December 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Doctor's true name will remain a mystery, just like Spock's other name. "You couldn't pronounce it."

4thDoctor
December 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe the question marks on the clothing the 4th-7th Doctors wore was just a brandname trademark for that clothing company.

Coco Pops
December 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards. But Steven Moffat responded to that one:..

Sorry for super thread necro but I have to ask but punishment for what?

And why is the name of The Master hidden too?

Coco Pops
December 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
As for the Doctor's name...I keep coming back to that line in Girl in the Fireplace:

REINETTE: Doctor... Doctor who? It's more than just a secret, isn't it?

When asked about this line, the episode's writer Stephen Moffat said that he believes the Doctor's real name is associated with some deep, dark secret from his past, which is why he doesn't tell it to even his closest Companions.

What if... what if the Doctor is the Master? We know that during a Time Lord's regenatation they can develop amnesia, like what happened in the Doctor Who telemovie in 1996. What if the Master went through a regeneration and developed permenant amnesia and, as a result, a more benevolant personality? What if he learned of the things that he'd done and, with his new outlook on life, was horrified and mortified by it? What if he resolved to try and make right as much as he could within to Universe to atone for all the things that he'd done, and began by getting rid of his name and original title and instead adopting a title that would convey his newfound purpose of healing both the universe and his own sins? And what if the reason that he mostly avoids Gallifrey is because he doesn't want to chance anyone figuring out his true identity and having him punished?

Again sorry for thread necro

I LOVE this theory..... But it does come a little undone in the end in that how do you explain the other guy bing "The Master" or is he actually fighting himself in another body? alternate regeneration?

cosmichobo
December 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Re Theta Sigma...

This was the Doctor's nickname while at the Time Lord Academy... There's no reason to believe this has any association with/is an abbreviation of his actual name.

Lady Peinforte knew something... though possibly not the Doctor's name... Maybe we'll revisit the Nemesis statue one day and learn the Doctor's name...

The theories tying him with Rassilon and Omega are far from canon... though certainly interesting. Personally though, despite the "slip" in Remembrance of the Daleks ("We?" "They..."), I think it's pretty hard to retro-con this theory, given the lack of any reference to the Doctor being "related" (or involved with) Rassilon and Omega in the previous stories featuring reference to those 2 Gallifreyan heroes...

The idea that Moffat is going to, this new coming season/anniversary special, reveal the Doctor's name, fills me with dread...

Coco Pops
December 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Re Theta Sigma...

This was the Doctor's nickname while at the Time Lord Academy... There's no reason to believe this has any association with/is an abbreviation of his actual name.

Lady Peinforte knew something... though possibly not the Doctor's name... Maybe we'll revisit the Nemesis statue one day and learn the Doctor's name...

What statue?

4thDoctor
December 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
The Nemesis statue from the 7th Doctor story 'Silver Nemesis'.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/Nemesis20Doctor20Who.jpg

cosmichobo
December 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Lady Peinforte warns the Doctor that she will reveal his secrets, tell (the Cybermen) of the old times, the times of chaos, (and the Doctor's involvement in said times), if the Doctor didn't give her the statue... But the Cybermen said they didn't care about the Time Lord secrets... (despite their intrigue in The Five Doctors)

The story ended with Ace asking the Doctor... "Who are you?", to which the Doctor replied with a "Shh...".

Ohh... so that's his name! Shh! :)

Coco Pops
December 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The Nemesis statue from the 7th Doctor story 'Silver Nemesis'.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/Nemesis20Doctor20Who.jpg

Lady Peinforte warns the Doctor that she will reveal his secrets, tell (the Cybermen) of the old times, the times of chaos, (and the Doctor's involvement in said times), if the Doctor didn't give her the statue... But the Cybermen said they didn't care about the Time Lord secrets... (despite their intrigue in The Five Doctors)

The story ended with Ace asking the Doctor... "Who are you?", to which the Doctor replied with a "Shh...".

Ohh... so that's his name! Shh! :)

Thanks guys so that's what that is.... Hmmm

Did the statue have special abilities or properties?

FennerMachine
December 27th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Watch the episode, well worth it.

Coco Pops
December 27th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards. But Steven Moffat responded to that one:.

Sorry for thread necro.......

But this sounds like the lamest punishment..... I mean it's stupid. For one thing at his trial there would be court records and the court would hold a copy of his name.....So one would only have to get to the Galifreyan courts and raid the files.

4thDoctor
January 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Don't you just hate it when people think that the Doctor's last name is "Who"?

Billz
January 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Don't you just hate it when people think that the Doctor's last name is "Who"?

You have no idea how much that "little mistake" by non-fans makes my blood boil! :mad:

4thDoctor
January 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
^ Ain't it the truth?

Mizenko
March 13th, 2012, 12:44 AM
To borrow from the Warlock series, what if Dr. Who's name isn't just a name? What if it is a powerful word for example like in the Warlock. The word that could undo all creation? What if by uttering the Doctor's True Name, the lights just go out? "The Silence will/must fall." Could mean that everything would simply cease to exist with no do-overs. A True Name that could be both Powerful and Terrible.-----a little on the cliche side I think, but only the Doctor knows I suppose...........

cosmichobo
March 13th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I say it's Bob... What more reason to hide it. :)

Teddybrown
March 13th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I say it's Bob... What more reason to hide it. :)

Thats what Ive thought all along! :P

Billz
March 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Rotcod.

:D

Coco Pops
March 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM
To borrow from the Warlock series, what if Dr. Who's name isn't just a name? What if it is a powerful word for example like in the Warlock. The word that could undo all creation? What if by uttering the Doctor's True Name, the lights just go out? "The Silence will/must fall." Could mean that everything would simply cease to exist with no do-overs. A True Name that could be both Powerful and Terrible.-----a little on the cliche side I think, but only the Doctor knows I suppose...........

He has to be born with his name so who are his parents? And how could they gve him such a powerful name?

Billz
March 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
He has to be born with his name so who are his parents? And how could they gve him such a powerful name?

Perhaps at the time after his birth, the Doctor's true name was incredibly common on Gallifrey, but became legendary at the very moment that he stole his TARDIS from the museum in the Citadel.

The legend just got bigger over the rest of his life. So much so, that he chose the alias of the Doctor to hide his "fame" after he let Susan enroll at Coal Hill School in the late 20th century, after Ian and Barbera started calling him "Doctor". It just got bigger after that.

Coco Pops
March 14th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Perhaps at the time after his birth, the Doctor's true name was incredibly common on Gallifrey, but became legendary at the very moment that he stole his TARDIS from the museum in the Citadel.

The legend just got bigger over the rest of his life. So much so, that he chose the alias of the Doctor to hide his "fame" after he let Susan enroll at Coal Hill School in the late 20th century, after Ian and Barbera started calling him "Doctor". It just got bigger after that.

OK now I'm lost. Do you mean the name "Doctor" became bigger?

Also at the end of series 6 I'm confused. What did he whisper to River. Because in the Library episode she whispers what we are told is his real name to him to prove who she is. I thought seeing that wedding on the pyramid that he must have said his name?

So when does River find out his name?

And the oldest question can't be "who is the Doctor" that's way too easy?

Billz
March 14th, 2012, 05:19 AM
OK now I'm lost. Do you mean the name "Doctor" became bigger?

Also at the end of series 6 I'm confused. What did he whisper to River.

He whispered to River to look into his eye, so that she could see the real Doctor within the eye of the Teselecta. But the Teselecta lied while it was disguised as the Doctor, and said that he told River his actual name, so that Amy and Rory wouldn't intially catch on.

Because in the Library episode she whispers what we are told is his real name to him to prove who she is. I thought seeing that wedding on the pyramid that he must have said his name?

She did tell him his name to prove who she is at the Library. But the moment ontop of the pyramid is not the point where she finds out what his real name is. The moment that she finds out his real name is still to come.

So when does River find out his name?

We don't know yet. Possibly during their trip to the Singing Towers of Darillium, which is the last time that River sees the 11th incarnation of the Doctor from her point of view, before going to the Library to meet him for the very last time in his 10th form, being the first time ever for him at that point.

And the oldest question can't be "who is the Doctor" that's way too easy?

Why can't it be that? I ask you, what is so wrong with the ultimate question being as simple as the Doctor's true identity?

iJOKE
June 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM
John Smith :P

Coco Pops
June 10th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I have read this on a couple of other forums that the Doctor's name could even be "Silence" What if that writing on the crib is "Silence"

Blencathra
June 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Or it could be "Lookintomyeye". :D

Morgania
June 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Gandalf the Blue (he's a wizard in stories)

Coco Pops
June 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Or it could be "Lookintomyeye". :D

Oh I like....... Oh Blen if you were only 5'2 and brunette, and female :)

P-90_177
June 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oh I like....... Oh Blen if you were only 5'2 and brunette, and female :)

Well she is at least 2 out of those 3 coco. :P

Blencathra
June 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Actually nearly 3 out of 3 (I'm 5' 3") BUT I'm probably old enough to be your Mum. :D

Coco Pops
June 11th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Actually nearly 3 out of 3 (I'm 5' 3") BUT I'm probably old enough to be your Mum. :D

I'm probably older my dear... But I like experienced women.

TiniBopper
August 3rd, 2012, 12:59 AM
I spent a while reading through this thread and thought I'd post a couple little theories of my own. Not ones that are immensely filled with information from Classic Who (I haven't had time to experience the classic whovian series) but I have caught up with the new series so far, and have a couple of thoughts.

The whole "Silence will/must fall" argument could be because he honestly can't answer the question, and from what I understood due to the quote from Dorium in Wedding of River Song:

DORIUM: "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered."

This could present a major problem in all of existence, since him failing to give an answer would be breaking the laws of the universal logic of that moment. Thus, the universal laws shatter, and everything kind of breaks down into nonexistence -- Silence.

But I also really like the theory of his name being a long series of mathematical or greek symbols. It fits in the nickname Theta Sigma, though that could still just be a fraternity nickname. A fun theory to consider might be that his name was/is the Skasis Paradigm, however unlikely, from School Reunion. Would be kind of a problem if he answered that and the building blocks of the universe responded to it, and... I'll leave the rest up to imagination. And if you add in the phonetic pronunciation of such a string of symbols, it could very easily come up to 38 syllables and be unpronounceable.

Again, these are mostly just the midnight musings of a rather recent Whovian, but I figured I'd post just to see what other people thought.

Coco Pops
August 7th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I spent a while reading through this thread and thought I'd post a couple little theories of my own. Not ones that are immensely filled with information from Classic Who (I haven't had time to experience the classic whovian series) but I have caught up with the new series so far, and have a couple of thoughts.

The whole "Silence will/must fall" argument could be because he honestly can't answer the question, and from what I understood due to the quote from Dorium in Wedding of River Song:

DORIUM: "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered."

This could present a major problem in all of existence, since him failing to give an answer would be breaking the laws of the universal logic of that moment. Thus, the universal laws shatter, and everything kind of breaks down into nonexistence -- Silence.

But I also really like the theory of his name being a long series of mathematical or greek symbols. It fits in the nickname Theta Sigma, though that could still just be a fraternity nickname. A fun theory to consider might be that his name was/is the Skasis Paradigm, however unlikely, from School Reunion. Would be kind of a problem if he answered that and the building blocks of the universe responded to it, and... I'll leave the rest up to imagination. And if you add in the phonetic pronunciation of such a string of symbols, it could very easily come up to 38 syllables and be unpronounceable.

Again, these are mostly just the midnight musings of a rather recent Whovian, but I figured I'd post just to see what other people thought.

I like that ....... Love the way you think.

DemosCat
August 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I see two possibilities:

1. The Doctor's name is: Get Off This Planet

2. His name is really quite ordinary... a bit of embarrassment to him. Like this example from the Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy...

Arthur Dent: Who are you?
Old Man: What? No. My name's not important. You must come with me, or you'll be late.
Arthur Dent: Late for what?
Old Man: Well, um, what's your name Earthman?
Arthur Dent: Dent. Arthur Dent.
Old Man: Your friends are safe, you can trust me.
Arthur Dent: Trust a man who won't even tell me his name?
Old Man: Well, um, my name is, um, it's [hurriedly] Slartibartfast.
Arthur Dent: What?
Old Man: I *said* it wasn't important.

Billz
August 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Tim :p

Morgania
August 16th, 2012, 12:00 AM
The word in Galifreyan for 'Doctor'.

GodAtum
August 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Just trying to think back to last season, did they ever bother to reveal the Doctor's name after making a big ho-ha about it?

rushy
August 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM
No, of course not.

Doctor who, hello?

rushy
August 25th, 2014, 12:38 AM
BTW, it opened after the Doctor said "Please!"
Maybe River lied again?

Coco Pops
August 25th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Question Marks..........

Maybe The Doctor is really "The Riddler"