This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug? SPOILERS "38 MINUTES", AND "WATERGATE"

As seen in Watergate (s4) they said that the reason the StarGate did not shut off within 38 minutes is because of the constant radio transmitions with the probe. Which means the StarGate remains active.

Why dident the Atlantis team use this knowledge to their advantege? They could have keep using their radio.

Also (Cant rerember the episode, but has been mentioned) Colonal O'neill kept his arm in the wormhole once to keep the gate active...why dident they use this to their advantege?

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Originally posted by PYRO
    As seen in Watergate (s4) they said that the reason the StarGate did not shut off within 38 minutes is because of the constant radio transmitions with the probe. Which means the StarGate remains active.
    It wasn't the radio transmission that was keeping the gate open. I don't remember the exact lines, but it had to do something with drawing power from the alien world, I think.

Originally posted by PYRO
    Also (Cant rerember the episode, but has been mentioned) Colonal O'neill kept his arm in the wormhole once to keep the gate active...why dident they use this to their advantege?
    I think the concensus is that Jack came through the gate in "Shades of Grey" but left his hand in instead of coming all the way through. In any case, he wasn't there waiting for more than thirty-eight minutes, so who knows what would have happened if he had been.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

It was (I believe) a combination of the radio signal and the water's "power" signature that kept the gate open.
      Rocky

Comment

THe living beings that were assumed to be made out of water, with the nuclear MALP, and the radio signal were keeping the gate open.....not just the radio signal.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I read the answer to this QU in another post. I belive the answer to the watergate qu is that the gate only has enough power to stay open for 38mins but in watergate there was power being drawn from the planet the gate was opened up on. The gate open any langer then the gate origanal compasity (bad spelling) would take an enormus amount of energy that the Atlantis base could even began to create. There were two other episodes were the gate stayed open longer then 38 mins and in both the gate was ably to draw power from a secondary source. I hope this helps
          SHEPPARD: Eight hundred and four years.
          McKAY: What?
          SHEPPARD: That's how long it will take us to come get you by Puddlejumper.
          McKAY: But you would do that, right?
          SHEPPARD: Of course we would.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamin_of_Rain
            There were two other episodes were the gate stayed open longer then 38 mins and in both the gate was ably to draw power from a secondary source. I hope this helps
            Yes, one (or both depending on how you look at it) is "Redemption," the two-part season six opener.
            Rocky

Comment

The other was "A Matter Of Time", also, you forget the episode "Serpent's Song" I think, where SOkar continued to pumell the gate with heat.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                The other was "A Matter Of Time", also, you forget the episode "Serpent's Song" I think, where SOkar continued to pumell the gate with heat.
                Sokar wasn't firing energy at the gate. He was firing tiny particles that would bombard and heat up the iris due to friction.
                sigpic

Comment

Plus, I didn't think the gate stayed open longer than 38 Minutes, I just thought they couldn't dial out faster tahn Sokar could dial back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                    I think the concensus is that Jack came through the gate in "Shades of Grey" but left his hand in instead of coming all the way through. In any case, he wasn't there waiting for more than thirty-eight minutes, so who knows what would have happened if he had been.
                    And another thing: there were other warm bodies in the wormhole when Jack exited Earthside. Their presence would have kept the wormhole open. All but the last guy pretty much took off right after Jack did. Once an object is entirely inside the wormhole it takes about 5 Hollywood seconds to travel from gate A to gate B. (COTG)
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

The other was "A Matter Of Time",
                      No, that was the relativistic effects that Mckay was referring to. In the frame of reference of the planet near the black hole, it was open 38 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Keen
                        No, that was the relativistic effects that Mckay was referring to. In the frame of reference of the planet near the black hole, it was open 38 minutes.
                        Question, why didn't it remain open for 38 minutes the first time? Also, the second, much longer time it was open, I thought they shut it down with a carefully placed, directed energy (aka shaped charge), bomb that diverted teh wormhole to anohter gate and allowed them to shut the gate down normally, not by waiting the equivalent of 38 minutes on the planet aproaching the black hole.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the gate remained open for more than 38 minutes in 'Serpent's Song'. IIRC, the gate closed down on time and Sokar dialled in again.
                          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                            Plus, I didn't think the gate stayed open longer than 38 Minutes, I just thought they couldn't dial out faster than Sokar could dial back in.
                            As I mentioned earlier, I agree with Ugly Pig's above post. I'm glad I'm ot the only one who thought that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              Once an object is entirely inside the wormhole it takes about 5 Hollywood seconds to travel from gate A to gate B. (COTG)
                              ROFLMAO at the "Hollywood seconds". I'll save that along with my HOS (Hollywood Operating System) idea.
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                              X