Miracles or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracles or not

The possibility of Lost having logical explanations for everything is one the things that I love and hope for. However, Locke and Rose being miraculously cured negates that in my mind. So, I've tried to logically (as logical as you can get about a fictional/almost sci-fi tv show) come up with an explanation.

I'm thinking that Locke was never really paralyzed. I was watching the movie Extreme Measures and the idea hit me. In the movie Hugh Grant's character is injected with a paralyzing drug without his knowledge to show him the desperation of a paralyzed man. This got me thinking about Locke. Perhaps his doctor, unbeknownst to Locke, was part of the Dharma group and wanted Locke to think he was cured by the island. The same with Rose. Maybe even the same doctor or same hospital.
    sigpic
    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

interesting theory... i haven't seen season 2 yet (only the last 3 episodes)so i don't know Locke's very well... but that's a pretty cool theory! I wouldn't put it past the Dharma group to actually have done that!

Comment

While they said it was logical I don't think they ever denied the show was sci-fi based. I think they just meant theories such as "the plane was sucked through a interdimensional portal, emerging in a netherverse where blah blah blah..." aren't the answer.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Yeah why not? Huge overarching conspiracy theory versus sci fi alternate universe-type explanation. Let's go with the former.
        sigpic
        "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
          i haven't seen season 2 yet (only the last 3 episodes)
          Wow, that must have been... confusing, to say the least.

Comment

its real didnt you know?

Comment

If you look at www.thehansofoundation.org (Unless you've closed it down )(Part of the Lost Experience) they seem to be working on many Health Related Projects (duh!), the island could be a testing ground for them... Well, part of the Grand Scheme of Things of course...

Comment

I still think that there is some sort of nano-tech angle going on here. Medical repairs of this sort are just the type of things that properly programmed nannites would be capable of.
                "I could have sworn that was an aspirin I took this morning...."
                -----

Comment

well... i've had diferent theores...i'm thinking it might have something to do with electromagnetism of the island... i'm not sure quite how and why yet.

but I'm also thinking there could have been some force- like god/fate kind of thing that healed them and put them on the island for a reason, perhaps to stop the 'others', or dharma??? from all the inter connectivity with the survivors it seems like they were all fated to crash on the island together.

however i still think they set the show up for the audience to view either way.

for example you can either be a man of faith, like locke or ecko and believe its something supernatural or religious.

Or, you can be a man of science like jack, and hold out for a more scientific explanation (although the scientific explanations still have sci fi overtones anyway)

Comment

That actually sounds very plausible. I too am a fan of logical theories, and that's a pretty good one. One of mine is that they've all been brainwashed to believe that they're people that they're not (Ever so slightly a la Vanilla Sky) or a more recent one which involves them all being the unsuspecting participants of some sort of War Game.

Ok, so mine suck, but I like the paralyzing drug idea.
                    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                      That actually sounds very plausible. I too am a fan of logical theories, and that's a pretty good one. One of mine is that they've all been brainwashed to believe that they're people that they're not (Ever so slightly a la Vanilla Sky) or a more recent one which involves them all being the unsuspecting participants of some sort of War Game.

Ok, so mine suck, but I like the paralyzing drug idea.
                      In a tv show called Nowhere Man, from maybe 10 years ago, a man is having a conversation with his wife in a restaurant, goes to the restroom, comes back to the restaurant to see his wife gone and no one remembers him. He goes home and his wife has no idea who he is, his best friend, whom we saw him speaking with earlier (I think), doesn't know him. No one, no where, knows who he is. To make a long story short, in the final episode we find out that he was brainwashed into believing everything he believed. After watching the show for 2 years as he tries to find out why no one remembers him and what a photograph of an execution (I think it was an exectution) that he took has to do with it (he was a photographer), we find out (I think as a way to end the series quickly) that his wife, friend, and everyone else were actors. We never find out who he was or why or anything. Part of some experiment or game or something is all that is said. I'm relying on my memory here.

So, the brainwashing theory has been done before and is also a plausible theory, IMO.

Let's just hope that Lost's ratings stay high so it doesn't get yanked before we get a thorough resolution.
                      sigpic
                      ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Originally posted by *E*K*R*
                        well... i've had diferent theores...i'm thinking it might have something to do with electromagnetism of the island... i'm not sure quite how and why yet.

but I'm also thinking there could have been some force- like god/fate kind of thing that healed them and put them on the island for a reason, perhaps to stop the 'others', or dharma??? from all the inter connectivity with the survivors it seems like they were all fated to crash on the island together.

however i still think they set the show up for the audience to view either way.

for example you can either be a man of faith, like locke or ecko and believe its something supernatural or religious.

Or, you can be a man of science like jack, and hold out for a more scientific explanation (although the scientific explanations still have sci fi overtones anyway)
                        My only problem with faith in God being involved is basically that I don't like to see faith (how to say this) played with. I have faith in God. But I don't think Locke should allow his faith to make him accepting of what is happening on that island. I think you can be a man of faith and a man of science, that they are not exclusive of each other. And that there are too many people involved with what's going on on that island to believe that it is of a devine nature. I could be wrong, but I really hope not.

I'm still hoping it is something somewhat logical with possible supernatural overtones.
                        sigpic

Comment

Has it ever actually been stated that Locke has faith in God?

Isn't he faithful to the belief of Fate, not God... that there are things that need to happen & are going to happen, to let other things happen. (Like, Boone, he was a 'sacrifice the Island demanded' to open the hatch, with-out his death, the hatch wouldn't be open.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                            Has it ever actually been stated that Locke has faith in God?

Isn't he faithful to the belief of Fate, not God... that there are things that need to happen & are going to happen, to let other things happen. (Like, Boone, he was a 'sacrifice the Island demanded' to open the hatch, with-out his death, the hatch wouldn't be open.
                            Yes, you're right, I assumed.

However, I really don't understand how he was able to put so much faith into the Island so fast. Locke, IMO, should not be trusted for this reason.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueiris
                              Yes, you're right, I assumed.

However, I really don't understand how he was able to put so much faith into the Island so fast. Locke, IMO, should not be trusted for this reason.
                              Yeah... It seems strange. He was cured from paralysis though & survived a Deadly Plane Crash that should have killed them all, but left them with 48~ survivors, most with only minor injuries. Possibly his Near Death Expirience changed him, possibly, he has given his gratitute towards the Island, for Curing him (& Rose) & letting them survive the crash. Plus, for taking people from the World that are needed on the island (such as the obvious, a Doctor & people with skills needed, such as hunting for boar, exploring & Agriculture (Himslef, Kate, Sun respectfully). Plus, he's saw into the 'eye of the Island' (the monster), so I think 'his' faith has been secured, as it seems that it was testing it at time to time, especially with Boone. It specifically let Locke live (Charlie-Horse, unabling him to Climb up to the Plane) & took Boone for teh sacrifice.

I'm actually suprised that non of the survivors have actually chanegd too. Locke seems the only one so far, who is helping change other people (such as Charlies addiction problems). Jin's seemed to change too slightly, becoming less fearful of people & overbearing his wife, Sun. Everybody else seems the same as before the crash. I'm suprised non of the survivors have gone insane from the crash, which is a traumatic expirience for anybody.

Comment

Working...
                              X