Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wormhole X-treme" -- Poochinski was real!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wormhole X-treme" -- Poochinski was real!

From Zap2It:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|89738|1|,00.html

TV News

'Best' Failed Pilots Get ABC Showcase
    (Monday, August 02 02:34 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Borrowing a page from Trio's "Brilliant But Cancelled," ABC is putting together a special showcasing TV pilots that never made it onto a network schedule.

"The Best TV Shows that Never Were" is scheduled to air at 8 p.m. ET Monday, Aug. 16. The one-hour show will feature clips from such non-classics as "The Ultimate Importer," "Fuzzbucket," "Poochinski" -- featuring Peter Boyle as a dead cop, reincarnated as a police dog -- and "Wishman."

The clips will also show now-famous folks like Dennis Franz, Tom Selleck, Keanu Reeves and Marg Helgenberger in shows that networks thought were good enough to make but not good enough to put on their schedules. Somewhat ironically, the special will air opposite the Olympics on NBC, which means the shows no one ever saw probably won't draw a very large audience in their recycled form.

The recycling of TV pilots has become something of a growth business recently. Trio's "Brilliant But Cancelled" series celebrates shows that were either quickly cancelled or never made it on the air in the first place, and the L.A.-based Un-Cabaret comedy group has a regular pilot showcase called "The Other Network."

ABC's special is based on the book "Unsold Television Pilots" by Lee Goldberg, a veteran TV writer ("Monk," "Diagnosis Murder," "Spenser: For Hire"). Goldberg, Steve Gerbson and William Rabkin are its executive producers.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Hmmmm...someone up at Bridge Studios must have worked on the pilot for "Poochinski" -- as it was referred to by Martin (to Jack) in "Wormhole X-treme."

Oh...found a link to a site that reviews the pilot of "Poochinski":

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/gbu/30.html

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

POOCHINSKI (1992)
    Starring George Newbern, Peter Boyle
    Directed by Will MacKenzie
    Unrated, 22 minutes
    Unreleased, check for it on bootleg VHS

I know this is a movie column, but not telling you about POOCHINSKI, one of the most ingeniously terrible things I have ever seen, just because it is a failed TV pilot and not a feature, goes against my principles. It is not everyday that I discover a show about Peter Boyle as a cop reincarnated as a talking, crime-fighting dog -- though I certainly wish it was. The simple fact of the matter is in twenty-two all-too-brief minutes, POOCHINSKI offers more unintentional laughs than all but the very ugliest of films.

**snippity doo dah**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/
    Last edited by morjana; 02 August 2004, 03:39 PM. Reason: Add a link to an article about Poochinski

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Ya know, Morjana, initially I missed the "Poochinski" bit in your thread title and I thought the article was going to mention WX! as a failed pilot. LOL!

Poochinski. Yeah. Learned about that sometime after the SG ep first came out. It sounded really really bad, even with Peter Boyle. Which only makes it all the more surprising that it didn't make it. Maybe audiences were a hair more discerning back then. Poochinski probably WOULD be a hit these days... as long as he was partnered with some live-action bimbo Barbie...

Comment

Shadow, cynical to the last drop.
      Rocky

Comment

lol. that's great! I had a feeling it was real, thanks for finding that out

Comment

Ha. That's pretty good
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X