Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no MP5s in Atlantis?

Why do they noit use the MP5 in Atlantis? After seeing that they need to put an entire magazine of those little 5.56 mm rounds in a wraith to kill him. The 92 FS Beretta with its 9 mm rounds seems to stop a wraith fairly quickly (See episodes Aurora and the Siege Part I.) The MP5 and the UMP and other SMGs that fire the larger rounds are absent form Atlantis, but are still in use on Earth's SG teams occasionally.

Why don't they use anything bigger than a tiny 5.56 mm P90?

Oh I don't know... maybe because p90's are standard personal defense weapons that NATO uses? We've seen SG-1 start using G36's and MP7's in a few short episodes.

And it doesn't take an entire clip. It takes a burst or two. SG teams tend to hold it down a bit more probably out of panic.

Comment

MP5's FIRE a 9MM round, which makes them weaker.
      Anyway, the pistol thing sounds pretty inconsistent, but its probably because pistol rounds are designed to enter the body and then "explode" sending little bits of metal everywhere to injure the enemy, where rifle rounds are designed to pass directly through things. Hollowpoints and Soft tips.
      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I think the Nato thing is an interesting issue, do you think that the AE was commissioned or authorised by NATO??
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
          I think the Nato thing is an interesting issue, do you think that the AE was commissioned or authorised by NATO??
          No there to many members.
          Matthew
          Shields at full. Ready main rail guns. Ready all missile batteries.

Comment

theres also the whole point that if the wraith hasnt feed for a while, hes alot weeker.
            Hola

Hello

Comment

Theres no MP5's because they are pathetic girly weapons, they suck...period. P90 vs MP5...lol NO competition.
              Last edited by Harekin; 05 June 2006, 03:58 PM.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
              Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
              the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
              Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
              The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                Theres no MP5's because they are pathetic girly weapons, they suck...period. P90 vs MP5...lol NO competition.
                Now tells us, how you feel mate and dont be shy to share your feelings on the topic
                Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

Be careful with your adjectives, please.

I like the MP-5, but I like the P90 better. My question is, why do SG and ATL teams carry Berettas rather than the FN 5-7 pistol? The 5-7 takes the same ammo as the P90, so it would make sense to carry it. Remember in "The Defiant One" where Sheppard's P90 was damaged and he ran out of 9mm rounds? If his sidearm was a 5-7 he could have used the bullets from his P90 and any other magazines he had yet to use.

Makes sense to me...
                  Originally posted by immhotep
                  If you ask me, I think the Stargate Program should be under NATO auspices. It's the most successful and longest-lasting military alliance in history, and the Americans have a great deal of influence so I doubt they'd feel too threatened by it.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I changed my adjectives.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                    Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                      Makes sense to me...If you ask me, I think the Stargate Program should be under NATO auspices. It's the most successful and longest-lasting military alliance in history, and the Americans have a great deal of influence so I doubt they'd feel too threatened by it.
                      I think the Pegasus Galaxy is a little to far away to fall under the auspices of the North Atlantis Treaty Organization, but there certainly could be a new, US-led military alliance created for the Stargate program. You know, when the US military finally feels it needs outside help for the tasks that need performed. Thus far, it's not exactly that huge an operation yet. But, that's off topic for this thread.

Originally posted by startrekker
                      Why do they noit use the MP5 in Atlantis? After seeing that they need to put an entire magazine of those little 5.56 mm rounds in a wraith to kill him. The 92 FS Beretta with its 9 mm rounds seems to stop a wraith fairly quickly (See episodes Aurora and the Siege Part I.) The MP5 and the UMP and other SMGs that fire the larger rounds are absent form Atlantis, but are still in use on Earth's SG teams occasionally.

Why don't they use anything bigger than a tiny 5.56 mm P90?
                      First, a technical correction: the P90 fires a proprietary 5.7 x 28 mm round. Not the 5.56 NATO round used in the M16, M4, and a host of other weapons.

In 'The Seige, Part I' Sheppard emptied his entire magazine, reloaded, and emptied it again before the Wraith died. In Part III, Colonel Everett emptied his entire pistol magazine into a Wraith's belly, to no effect.

It's a cliche, but it's also true: size isn't everything. The 5.7mm round was designed for penetrating body armor and then dealing damage to the target without over penetrating.

The P90 itself can be considered a successor to the MP5. It is said by its proponents to have lower recoil, better accuracy, increased stopping power, and much better ergonomics than the older MP5s. As one article I put it, the P90 is the next evolution of the submachine gun.

a time to mourn

Comment

So maybe they should use the XM-29 with its 20 mm High Energy Air Burst (HEAB) Rounds. Wouldn't that stop the wraith quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by startrekker
                          So maybe they should use the XM-29 with its 20 mm High Energy Air Burst (HEAB) Rounds. Wouldn't that stop the wraith quite nicely.
                          The XM-29 has yet to be realized as a functional weapon. The P90 is, and was around years before it appeared on SG-1. Likewise, the XM-8 program was put on hold last fall, otherwise it might have been a contender to get used in the show. I'm hoping that the next regular weapon used in the show (probably in Atlantis' later seasons) will be the FN SCAR.

Besides, there's not a lot of wisdom in flinging high explosive fragmentation warheads around in the close quarters action that Stargate teams usually find themselves in.

a time to mourn

Comment

Eh....the 9mm actually isn't that good (lots of soldiers are going back to the Colt 1911 automatic pistol cuz of the round). I'd prefer a 45 anyday. The force alone would knock anyone, including a Wraith, off it's feet. The only issue is the 45 is a difficult gun to shoot compared to 9mm and 22mm pistols.
                            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I miss the Mp5 in Stargate, they're a all-time favourite weapon of mine.

Anyways, they should start using the Thompson M1A1 who fires .45 ACP rounds.

And of course, SG teams blasting away Wraith with Tommyguns is always fun.
                              Scoping through the night...looking for Athosians

Comment

Working...
                              X