This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female Doctor?

Russell T Davies has said that he'd love to make the Doctor a woman, and there seem to be a lot of people on various Teletext pages (although they seem to be casual viewers) who want that to happen.

Should it?

I don't think it should. The Doctor might an alien who can regenerate into different bodies when he dies, but surely he's still a MALE alien!? It probably wouldn't completely ruin the show if it happened, but I think making him female would do some damage.

No, No, No, No, NO a thousand times NO!!!!!!!

As you said, gender is constant, the body can regenerate existing cells, but it can't grow new ones!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't know, I'm torn on the idea. It might be a good way to rewrite the twelve regeneration rule, though. Something like on the twelfth regeneration, the doctor is turned into a female in order to reproduce or something like that.

However, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable watching the Doctor as a female. It just wouldn't sit quite right with me.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Nah don't think it should happen. A female Time Lord maybe but not a female Doctor....no offence to any females out there

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Well we've had female timelords often, eg Romana, but The Doctor is male, its just part of the chracter. Just as Sheppard is male. I have no issue with a black, chinese, or whatever Doctor (long as he's stilL British, cause THAT is important), but female is a no no. it was done for a laugh in Curse of Fatal Death for Comic Relief and should STAY there.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Beyonce as Doctor Who!
            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Just would not be the same with a female doctor but i would still watch it
              sigpic

Comment

don't think thats gonna happen unless Ron Moore takes over

Comment

Cast Ru Paul as the doctor and have it both ways.

On a serious note though, it would be interesting to see Rose and the Doctor switch bodies for an episode somehow. We'd get to see how Rose reacts to the Doctor's expanded awareness of time, and see how the Doctor reacts to being a mere mortal.

Comment

I am SOOOOOOO sick of this topic. It seems every week or so someone thinks it's a good idea to make the Doctor a chick. If it was such a good idea, they would have done it already....

It's not going to happen. It will never happen, and anyone who thinks it should happen should be dragged out into the courtyard, beated, tarred, feathered, and forced to sit through an Amway presentation.
                    My favorite Doctor Who websites;

Each episode in amazing detailed notes
                    Build a Dalek
                    Build a TARDIS
                    Dedicated to Pamela Nash, the woman who caused a ton of Who episodes to be missing
                    The Police Box Website

KNOW YOUR ROLE, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

Comment

Wow! Looks like there's some really STRONG feelings on this topic...
                      As for me, while I can see the temptation to bring Doctor Who to a new, more modern feel by making the doctor a woman, I have to finally say that it's better that the Doctor remain a man.
                      It's tradition, and, as many have pointed out, he is a male alien and it's entirely plausiable that it's impossible for Gallifrians to change gender during regeneration.
                      But wouldn't that be an interesting question to ask at a convention? Someone should, as I bet that could have a really neat explanation behind it!
                      On a related note...I sincerely hope that if TPTB ever get really hung up over the idea of a modern female time lord (in which case I suppose it switches to time lady) that they do it in (yet another) spin off series that takes place before the demise of Gallifrey. And is in no manner related to the Doctor. I don't think I'd mind that too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                        No, No, No, No, NO a thousand times NO!!!!!!!

As you said, gender is constant, the body can regenerate existing cells, but it can't grow new ones!
                        Um, sorry? This is scifi not scifact! I see no reason why a timelord couldn't change gender, it is becoming clear The Doctor can change a lot of things why is this so different?

What are people so afraid of? Really what?

Comment

Oh Lord NO...
                          I can't imagine anyone taking this idea seriously. It's the sort of thing people might toss around as a point for conversation but I doubt it'll happen. There's too much tradition/history behind it.

It would be, IMO, taking political correctness to a ridiculous extreme. This kind of sexual discrimination I can definitely live with.
                          Am I fearful... I don't think so... I just think some traditions are worth keeping.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseid
                            It's not going to happen. It will never happen, and anyone who thinks it should happen should be dragged out into the courtyard, beated, tarred, feathered, and forced to sit through an Amway presentation.
                            Who rattled your cage? Personally I don't think it will, as the doc is and always has been male and there have been female Time Lords (Time Ladies??) before. Presumably they stayed female throughout their reincarnations.
                            But yeah, of course there is scope for a body swap experience between Rose and the doc, another of those great sci fi cliches that every show seems to visit in the end.
                            sigpic
                            "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              It would be, IMO, taking political correctness to a ridiculous extreme. This kind of sexual discrimination I can definitely live with.
                              Am I fearful... I don't think so... I just think some traditions are worth keeping.
                              Why do people always use that as an excuse to not entertain an idea? I find it just as ridiculous to say it would only be becasue of PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X